Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 340
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 28,540 Posts
    • 160,949 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Mar, and GQ too - glad you're both all right.
    Retired August 2016
    • Witless
    • By Witless 14th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Witless
    To hold stock enough for all needs is virtually impossible as most pharmacies (certainly the tiny building ours was located in) have limited storage space for storage and the prescriptions that come in are unpredictable in what is prescribed and it's easy to deplete your entire stock of a particular drug in a morning. ....... If you have 500 of a certain drug and get 5 x prescriptions for 100 early in the day you have a choice in do you hand out 100 five times or do you hand out 50 x 10 times and give out 10 owing slips until the next delivery arrives...
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I agree with the whole post, but if you consider the words I've emboldened ... by virtue of their nature repeat prescriptions aren't unpredictable: exactly the opposite in fact.

It's basic rolling stock control IMHO: Patient X requires a 2 month supply of drug Y therefore we need to order a stock 6 - 7 weeks after dispensing them.

Yes, first time prescriptions can skew figures - but what are the chances of someone else having exactly the same medication for the first time every time my prescription is due?

From Nov 2016 to Dec 2017 the pharmacy got at least one item on every prescription wrong: following surgery I was having visits by the District Nurse - a total of 3 dressings per day. Rather than risk complications I got the DN to ring the repeat prescription in: they issued 5 dressings (ie - not even enough for 2 days - on a Friday! Fortunately the DN was able to rob hospital stocks.)

For the following prescription her supervisor wrote it herself: they didn't see the BOXES on the script, they issued individual items!

I was swayed by neighbourliness and stayed with them as the pharmacist lived 2 doors away until her marriage but enough was enough and I've 'transferred' to the one I mentioned above (smaller, less staff, closer to both my home & the surgery).

4 scripts later (2 x one offs and 2 x repeats) they've yet to get any item wrong - on leaving in the first repeat (IYSWIM) and arranging for them to collect the scripts they added my requirements to their scheduled order.

Not rocket science.

Part of my role includes resource management: if I mismanaged the way the 'big' pharmacy did I wouldn't be working overtime hours - I wouldn't be working any hours!

(Sorry - rant over)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 11,307 Posts
    • 157,506 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Repeat prescriptions are predictable but not all prescriptions are repeats and many are just a one off from a visit on the day to the GP and those are the ones that hit stock levels, that's the unpredictable element in what would otherwise be a rolling re-stock.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 14,857 Posts
    • 41,068 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    In this day and age of computers - I would indeed have thought it was the "work of moments" to keep up with what one knows Ms X and Mr Y regularly have and will be wanting again soon.

It's part of good customer service for a small-ish business to know its "regulars" and, dependant on what type of stock it does, to be able to think "Oh it's him again - good morning Mr X - we've got so-and-so stock of so-and-so goods come in and it's just your taste. Would you like a look at it?"

If a small business selling consumer goods does it/should do it for its "regulars" - then I don't see why a pharmacy would take any different attitude (even without modern-day computers thrown into the equation).
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 11,596 Posts
    • 223,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Picture this, the routine rigmarole of getting my repeat script about 9 times a year.

1. Go in person to GP practise and drop off completed script in the box on the wall.
    2. Go back 48 hours later and queue to see the receptionist. They search through the pile of signed scripts and it may or may not be ready.
    3. (about 50% of the time) repeat stage 2 after another 24 hrs.
    4. Walk into the pharmacy attatched to the surgery. Queue. Among the heroin addicts waiting for their drinkable methadone. Nice.
    5. Get to the top of the queue. Hand script over. Assistant says it will be a while, do I want to wait or come back later?
    6. Wait. Anything up to 30 minutes. Only to be told that they haven't got the full amount and here's an owing note.
    7. Variation of 6 - offer to return in 24 hours' time.
    8. Return in 24 hours. Queue for several minutes among the drug addicts etc. Assistant goes looking for my script.
    9. After several minutes of searching high and low, comes back to tell me that the pharmacist is just making it up now, will I take a seat?
    10. Wait up to 30 minutes before getting the script. Sometimes still incomplete.
    11. Offer to return in 24 hours, which would be about 5 hours after the time of their daily drug delivery. Do so. Script still not ready. Sit and wait again. Look at blood pressure monitors for sale and wonder how high all this timewasting is driving my BP.

Getting my prescription meds could take anything from 4-8 visits to the pharmacy. Which isn't open on a Saturday, and therefore those visits have to be fitted around my working hours. And, in the ELEVEN YEARS I was filling this same script every six weeks, I can count the number of times I managed to get it at first attempt on the fingers of one hand. Without using my thumb.

Can you blame me for nearly trampling them in the rush to move over the new method?!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Witless
    • By Witless 14th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Witless
    Sounds scarily familiar GQ.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 28,540 Posts
    • 160,949 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds horrendous, GQ the amount of energy that takes is absolutely insane.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 15th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 5,480 Thanks
    Cappella
    Getting my prescription meds could take anything from 4-8 visits to the pharmacy.
    Speaking as someone who!!!8217;s going to be making her sixth visit to the pharmacist and surgery today to (hopefully) pick up the two missing items from this months repeat prescription dropped in 10 days ago I can!!!8217;t say the electronic system works either though. I now have to drop the prescription at the doctors and then pray that it turns up at Boots sometime within a week and that they manage to process it four days after they get it.
    It!!!8217;s a repeat for 8 different heart drugs and I need all of them every day. This time I was told that I!!!8217;d not re-ordered 2 of them. Is that likely??? I hardly think so. I use Boots, as it!!!8217;s the only option where I live and am not impressed, so far it!!!8217;s taken nearly a fortnight to try to collect all of this bimonthly prescription, and if I hadn!!!8217;t had a small stash ( now used up) I!!!8217;d be in a real mess. What worries me is the delay between me physically dropping it in at the docs and being able to finally collect the tablets.
    I!!!8217;ve come to the conclusion that the new system will soon be a LOT cheaper - as without vital drugs people are apt to die and in the long run that will save the NHS a fortune
    Last edited by Cappella; 16-02-2018 at 8:19 AM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 14,857 Posts
    • 41,068 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It all gets me wondering why the powers-that-be think it's okay to take so much time from being available for people to live Their Lives - even if they don't have to hold down a job to pay for said Life.

Rather proves my theory (from watching my parents attempting to have A Life on top of being ill for many years) that there is little/if any official concern for the fact that people do still have Lives to lead (ie as well as being ill).

Being Ill seems to take a heck of a lot of unnecessary time in our society (ie over and above actually having the illness/any restrictions the illness brings per se).

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 93,367 Thanks
    fuddle
    I just think it all boils down to the same thing... You cannat rely on nee boogar for owt.

I do think that we're better off just realising that nothing is a given, nothing is perfect and no one, really, cares. We have a clunky system that is extremely frustrating (tell me about it!) but we're all still here with enough energy left to moan about it. If we're moaning about things not being perfect, well we're ok really aren't we?

I'm no saint. I have to work at 'it's ok, I understand' but it's better for me as an individual if I just let it ride.

The problem comes when we pay a proportion of our earnings into something that is muddled with private companies, middle management and jobs worths. We all have a sense of entitlement because of that but we can't do a darn thing about the private pharmacies who get their cut of prescription payment whether we wait a day, a week, have a poor experience or struggle on. Mostly they know we'll go back because some of us have little choice.

I don't think it will never change and I think we're a society that is increasingly prescribed medication it can only get worse under more pressure. We're doomed I tell you, we're doomed!
    Last edited by fuddle; 15-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 7,365 Posts
    • 20,358 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    With a certain amount of trepidation, we handed over the 'sort your pills' over to the 19 year old. He's the unstable epileptic who does hit the deck if he skips a single dose & sometimes does Anyway.
    I got a confident text - "submitted the chit! Collect Thursday" & thought good, step 1 in hand.
    On Thursday, it transpired that not only had they not got his prescription sorted, he didn't have that night's dose. He explained, politely that he needs these pills, could he have his script to walk to another pharmacy? We've ordered them for you, they're coming, today.
    The lad obediently goes off to class & en route texts me.
    I phone & asked exactly what have they got in, what is on order & what do they plan to do if it hasn't arrived by 6? The have enough of drug A to stun a platoon of mules. They have ordered in drug B (he's only been on it 6 months) & it will be here for 6. I thanked them politely & ended the call. Range another pharmacy, asking after supplies of B (not carried though a standard anticonvulsant). A third, sister to 2nd, does carry but will want the entire prescription (checked, can, just, get enough A together). More polite thanks. At 4, son shows up - not all the pills & now he needs a prescription for the 'extra' B. He trundles through two doors (thank god the pharmacy & medic are on the same site) & is told no, the information has been sent. The pharmacy grudgingly "find" the paperwork, but not as yet the pills. I call again - to be assured all is in hand & point out that if an extra prescription has been needed, do they have the actual pills? The pharmacy offer to talk to the medics - but assure me my son will have some pills for tonight.
    Eventually we both get home to find yes, son has pills for tonight, and for tomorrow morning but has to go back to get the rest...

And because every dose is calculated, he has no stash. This half term, I'm driving him to another county, claiming we're on holiday & he forgot & please can the local medics help. We may get just a week's grace but that will mean I can have a 24 hour stash in the car, husband amongst his meds & lad in his hideyhole.

I could almost wish he'd gone over at the pharmacy. Stress (& low blood sugar scampering up & down the valley between school & the pharmacy) being another trigger...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Feb 18, 12:12 PM
    • 28,540 Posts
    • 160,949 Thanks
    Karmacat
    DfV, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd no idea things were so bad, so generally My only experience with medication at these levels is when my mum received her terminal diagnosis - the worst thing was the amount of admin coordinating between the various agencies, but there was never any issue with the meds simply not being available - occasionally had to wait a few hours, but nothing more
    Retired August 2016
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 15th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 31,863 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I'm horrified by all your experiences, and realising that although I'm not personally on any regular medications (partly because I'm staying away from doctors for as long as statins are on the menu for all over-50s) DD2 needs her regular SSRIs for extreme anxiety or she goes cold turkey (not a pretty sight - and a horrible experience for her) and OH needs his BP medication, although he also needs to actually take the dratted things, which often doesn't happen. So I need to build up a stash, too... it had never really occurred to me, which is pretty selfish, really.
    Angie

GC Feb18 £239.33/£400
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 £162.67/£350

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 15th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 3,242 Thanks
    midnight express
    I get my medication from Pharmacy2U, you order online and the drugs are delivered by post.It's a wonderful service and I have never had any problems.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 14,857 Posts
    • 41,068 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I get my medication from Pharmacy2U, you order online and the drugs are delivered by post.It's a wonderful service and I have never had any problems.
    Originally posted by midnight express
    What happens about payment?

If someone has free prescriptions or has a "season ticket" for prescriptions - rather than paying on an "as and when" basis.

• Elona
    • By Elona 15th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Elona
    I have anticoagulants that I need to take every day as I dare not risk more blood clots. I also have low thyroid medication so have been requesting prescriptions online as early as I possibly can. I used to trot along to the medical centre to pick up the prescriptions a couple of days later then try to get to the chemist later in the week.

I can now still order online but the prescriptions are picked up by the chemist which saves me a journey and so far everything has been correct and in stock. The fact that I order a repeat prescription early means I have at least a month's breathing space.

I am lucky to have two independent pharmacies half an hour's walk or a short bus ride away and have a bus pass. When I had anti depressants ( have now weaned myself off them) I found the worst places to get them dispensed was a large Boots as they never seemed to have the quantity or the items at the time I visited.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 15th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 4,026 Posts
    • 5,166 Thanks
    zeupater
    Picture this, the routine rigmarole of getting my repeat script about 9 times a year.

1. Go in person to GP practise and drop off completed script in the box on the wall ...

... Getting my prescription meds could take anything from 4-8 visits to the pharmacy. Which isn't open on a Saturday, and therefore those visits have to be fitted around my working hours. And, in the ELEVEN YEARS I was filling this same script every six weeks, I can count the number of times I managed to get it at first attempt on the fingers of one hand. Without using my thumb.

Can you blame me for nearly trampling them in the rush to move over the new method?!
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Hi

And I ordered a couple of Lithium batteries on line yesterday which arrived today ... a couple of pounds for the goods, free delivery & a no hassle next day service - and some people still wonder where NHS efficiency £savings could be made! .... well there's lots of scope to address dispensing fees here, all that's needed is a will to overcome resistance to change ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 5,009 Posts
    • 73,737 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Wow .... quite a bit of food for thought in this discussion. I don't have any regular prescription right now, but nor do I have a hospital bag. I have a go-bag to get me to the nearest hotel in case of a house fire, but a hospital bag is quite different. I've discovered a little bag that would be ideal for that, too.

Thanks folks.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I don't even have that

Shall I, err.... Pack my bags....

In other news, and I appreciate your problems, all, but Aren't we lucky to have an NHS?

Thriftwizard - with you on the statins...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 14,470 Posts
    • 136,262 Thanks
    mardatha
    When I first went onto hydrocortisone, my GP gave me a float of 3 months worth just in case of any shortages or needing to updose. Commonsense does still exist.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 93,367 Thanks
    fuddle
    If Pharmacy2U is your nominated pharmacy any emergency scripts are sent to them. Been there done that in terms of Friday afternoon pain relief. The GP had to change on the system at the surgery so the pharmacy where I live could have it ready for pick up.

Not Pharmacy2U's fault but worth noting.

What was Pharmacy2U's fault was twice, twice! they were able to renominate themselves as my pharmacy. I don't know what happened but I know I was on the site, and I know I logged in. I saw their name on a GP script that was handed to me there and then and was furious. Easily sorted at the surgery reception but had I been in an emergency situation again I would have been scuppered. Pharmacy2U had their CQC inspection recently and I was asked for feedback. I gave them a scathing report for underhand tactics. I'm no fool, certainly not online and they got me. I wouldn't use them again.

Money pre-payment certs are sent and noted but I don't have experience dealing with then in terms of paying for meds. Off to go read that inspection report now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,957Posts Today

9,380Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: A huge thank you to everyone who has signed our #RecoverySpace campaign letter so far - we have reached over 1,000 names! If you?

• RT @fikee: Told a ridiculously cool young lad behind me in the supermarket that I loved his boots. He looked at me and in that split secon?

• Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Follow Martin