Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 339
    • Witless
    • By Witless 13th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Witless
    I'd prefer one inside a bank lobby too but it's a Catch 22 - if I could get to a bank during opening hours I wouldn't need to use the ATM.

At the moment I'm involved in a project at work which has meant working 33 out of the last 35 days* so I just can't get to the bank during opening hours.

* Prepping of a sort - the extra money is destined for various stashes.

I'm very wary of giving card details to the 'unknown', hence our 'bring the envelope' scenarios - for example I wouldn't give a breakdown recovery card details: I'm sure they wouldn't take more than agreed but why take the chance? Also, in the case of a minor 'at fault' driving nudge I imagine it'd be handy to have the 'full settlement' paid by a third party.

I was in hospital for a couple of weeks in 2016 - much simpler saying "use the envelope for ......" rather than trying to secure cards or cash in a hospital ward: again I'm sure the staff and patients are perfectly trustworthy but why take the chance?

Grandfather Witless disagreed with the axiom "Treat every man as honest until he proves himself a rogue" preferring instead "Treat every man as a rogue until he proves himself honest: that way you won't be disappointed".
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 14,473 Posts
    • 136,312 Thanks
    mardatha
    I was hauled into hospital early on Thurs morning without even my shoes. I had in my bag a half-charged mobile, a £10 note, and thank god a stash of my essential pills.
    I couldn't use the hospital phones as they were fancy things requiring a card payment - as with the tv. I haven't got my card details in my head, even if my head had been working which it wasn't : I have got the family mobile numbers written in a wee notebook, but without a phone it would have been kind of hard to call them ... So new preps right now is a stash of coins to live in my bag, and I'm going to get a spare phone charger.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 13th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Witless
    ... So new preps right now is a stash of coins to live in my bag, and I'm going to get a spare phone charger.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Keep an eye out for one of these - https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-power-banks-2018-3534490/

I have a couple: one in my daysack, one in the car and a small one for my pocket when away on a long day. The small one was £6.99 from L!dl.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,663 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Today, I went to the pharmacy where I pick up my repeat prescription of life-saving medication only to find that they not only hadn't got it but that I'd somehow dropped off their system.

After a year having my repeat script sent there, and when I last collected my script just before Christmas, and they've lorst me somehow? I'm deeply hurt, lol. Now, bearing in mind that these pills are literally all that lies between me and a coma-and-death scenario, this could have been a very bad situation.

With the equanimity of the person who has a year's worth of meds stashed, I just shrugged and said I'd speak to my GP. Expect they won't talk to you about scripts, you have to email/ visit. And allow minimum of two days for a doc to sign them and then they have to get sent to your pharmacy of choice. Which sometimes hasn't got my meds on shelf and needs to order them in; it'll be a minimum of several days before I get my script filled.

By gum, I am glad to be preptastic...........!

I only ever use the ATMs in my bank's foyer and am still very cagey about covering up the keypad. Can't get over the unwisdom of folks who get mugged in the wee smalls because they were just seen taking cash from a city centre ATM at the witching hour.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 14,473 Posts
    • 136,312 Thanks
    mardatha
    Bloody hell GQ !!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,663 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Bloody hell GQ !!!
    Yeah, it would have had to be a major wobbly if I couldn't get meds and I was on the edge of running out and, y'now, actually falling into a coma which is very hard for even a major hospital to bring one back from. The pharmacist's attitude was striking, all yeah whatever........... he must've known by the script that I can't live without those flipping things......... words fail me.

As I have several spare scripts, accumated over the years by careful manipulation of the prescription filling dates (I use them in sequence and have never had any go OOD, they have nearly 3 years on them) I don't need to panic.

As they say, fortune favours the prepared mind.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Puffinbertha
    • By Puffinbertha 13th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Puffinbertha
    My sister has been informed that GPs in the area will no longer accept requests from pharmacists for repeat prescriptions. The patient has to make the request direct to the Practice either in person, by phone or on line. The prescription can then be collected or sent digitally to your chosen pharmacy.
    Apparently this will save money. I guess some people get the same medication every time, even if it is an "as and when" needed and not daily medication, so some may be dispensed but not used.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 13th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Witless
    I order online, the chemist is about 200 yds from the surgery and collects twice a day: a request between Fri pm and Mon am is processed, signed & collected by lunchtime and is available for collection anytime from 15:00 on.

I stay about a month ahead: last time I 'stockpiled' the !!!!ers changed the medication!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    maryb
    Our pharmacy still does repeat prescriptions but without telling us, the system has changed so they only dispense 4 weeks worth at a time instead of 8. Cue panic when DH was looking for the next packet of pills, knowing he had a new prescription just after Christmas - he didn't notice at the time because he has a dose which is between manufactured sizes so he needs to take a low dose pill and a higher dose pill, so he didn't see that the bag wasn't as full as usual
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,663 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    My sister has been informed that GPs in the area will no longer accept requests from pharmacists for repeat prescriptions. The patient has to make the request direct to the Practice either in person, by phone or on line. The prescription can then be collected or sent digitally to your chosen pharmacy.
    Apparently this will save money. I guess some people get the same medication every time, even if it is an "as and when" needed and not daily medication, so some may be dispensed but not used.
    Originally posted by Puffinbertha
    I wonder if that's what's going on here, but it must be a new change if so and not one that's been communicated to me and they have a snail mail, an email and two phone numbers for me FGS.

My meds are daily ones, can't opt out unless I fancy what is described as great muscular prostration, coma and death. Yup, sounds lush to me, too.

I guess I might sometimes seem a bit over-prepared to some IRL but when you get stuff like this sprung on you, mockery seems a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Actually, at my GPs, it was about this time last year when they actively discouraged you from trotting in in person to drop your script into the box, to return two days later to collect the signed script (which may or may not have been ready) and then toddle off to the pharmacy. Nope, the new system was supposed to be clean and efficient and those repeat scripts just went off to the pharmacy and they requested the refill on the schedule you required - 6 weekly, in my case.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 13-02-2018 at 7:22 PM.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Puffinbertha
    • By Puffinbertha 13th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Puffinbertha
    No word from her GP, just last time she collected meds pharmacist told her of change.

Having a supply of life sustaining medicine/prescriptions seems like perfect prepping to me.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 93,444 Thanks
    fuddle
    I was hauled into hospital early on Thurs morning without even my shoes. I had in my bag a half-charged mobile, a £10 note, and thank god a stash of my essential pills.
    I couldn't use the hospital phones as they were fancy things requiring a card payment - as with the tv. I haven't got my card details in my head, even if my head had been working which it wasn't : I have got the family mobile numbers written in a wee notebook, but without a phone it would have been kind of hard to call them ... So new preps right now is a stash of coins to live in my bag, and I'm going to get a spare phone charger.
    I still have a half arrissed hospital bag. You've given me the kick up I need.

My first hospital stay was a shock occurrence on the way home from a week holidaying in Scotland. The boot was full of dirty washing. DH tried his best and brought in a pair of unironed, tumbled dried linen trousers that were creased beyond belief and bought a cheap pair of tracksuit bottoms that shed black fluff all over the bed clothes.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 14,473 Posts
    • 136,312 Thanks
    mardatha
    Our GP practice because it's so rural, has their own pharmacy and we just collect the meds from them. You see the doc, he writes the prescription, you wait 10 mins and they hand you it. If not in stock then you go back in a couple of days and get it.
    Fuddle I'm working on a new hospital bag as we speak
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 14th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 7,402 Thanks
    tori.k
    Ours work the same mardatha, but it's still a pain, repeats you can do online a pick up, but with DH he ends up with a lot of surplus pills due to the fact that some of his are boxed monthly and some 28 days, but we ended up with trouble when he tried to temporarily cancel due to the surplus it's creates, it's such a waste within the NHS.
    In our old town the pharmacy used to regularly run out of insulin and heavily rely on the local hospital supply, on most things you usually end up with an IOU note with your meds and have to go back a few days later.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 157,528 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've worked in a Pharmacy and I do understand why 'owing' slips are handed out. To hold stock enough for all needs is virtually impossible as most pharmacies (certainly the tiny building ours was located in) have limited storage space for storage and the prescriptions that come in are unpredictable in what is prescribed and it's easy to deplete your entire stock of a particular drug in a morning. Having said this there are pharmaceutical retailers with huge warehouses who deliver right through the day but sometimes a particular drug is in short supply to them and that's when the problems begin as everyone is then on 'catch up'. If you have 500 of a certain drug and get 5 x prescriptions for 100 early in the day you have a choice in do you hand out 100 five times or do you hand out 50 x 10 times and give out 10 owing slips until the next delivery arrives. People get very angry over it but really it's not the Pharmacys fault, it's the system of supply and demand.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 14,867 Posts
    • 41,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Not a life-threatening - but could have been a life-ruining - prescription thing one time was that many years back I was on the Pill for a few years (prior to getting sterilised to be able to forget the whole issue).

I duly handed over my prescription to the chemist and took the sealed packet they gave me and put it in the drawer ready for when I was about to start taking the next lot. Opened the packet all ready to take the first pill in next course that second - and it was the wrong type

Obviously, I must have gone back and swopped it the next day - but that was a whole month of telling the "boyfriend of the time" to "Forget about it Buster - ain't nowt happening until next month - as I'm not taking any risk whatsoever" (even though I'd have had an abortion within weeks and doctor would have been on receiving end of an earfull at me having to have an operation I shouldnt have needed - ie think it was courtesy of their bad writing).

Moral of the tale - check the drugs you've just been given literally before you even walk out of the pharmacy - in case they've made a mistake.

It could have been worse - the very very slight indeed chance could have come up despite a month's abstinence - and I might have been someone that would have had upset feelings about an abortion. I wouldnt have had a scrap of feelings about it being an abortion per se personally - mine would have all been just sheer anger at having to have an operation of any description.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-02-2018 at 8:56 AM.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 157,528 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    That is the most sensible advice and we undo the sealed bag in the shop to make sure the right drugs are in there. It's so much easier to do this which takes seconds rather than have the trip back from home when you DO realise it's the wrong thing!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 14,473 Posts
    • 136,312 Thanks
    mardatha
    When we phone for repeats we are asked what do we need? And the rest is ignored. We don't get anything online, easier just talking to reception.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 93,444 Thanks
    fuddle
    I had an experience where the pharmacy only had a handful of antibiotics available. They gave me them to start and ordered new there and then. I picked them up the day after so all was ok but without those antibiotics I most certainly would have been admitted to hospital again. I have 3 pharmacies here so I probably could have got them if I wandered around but the word is probably. I understand why it happened but it made me realise that medications aren't always a given.

On the flip side I have been stashing my asthma inhalers. This morning the consultant is doubting the asthma diagnosis in favour of a heart issue that is causing breathlessness. If that is the case I won't need my stash. The same happened with my stashed food. Sometimes the prepping mindset can be wasteful one because things change but that's life and as long as we realise we can't prep and control everything we'll be ok. A prepper, afterall, knows how to adapt and deal with curve balls.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,009 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow .... quite a bit of food for thought in this discussion. I don't have any regular prescription right now, but nor do I have a hospital bag. I have a go-bag to get me to the nearest hotel in case of a house fire, but a hospital bag is quite different. I've discovered a little bag that would be ideal for that, too.

Thanks folks.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,045Posts Today

9,129Users online

Martin's Twitter