Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 338
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 14,843 Posts
    • 41,035 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks Kittie. Some might have called it something rather different and I definitely (often!) thought "What on earth have I done?" a lot in the first couple of years.

One gets through renovation work on a house/the greater unreliability factor of tradespeople in this area compared to my own eventually. The nfh basically shut up and started "behaving themselves" after a while - ie when they realised I was gobsmacked at anyone trying to order me around/wasnt going to accept it. I've made friends/most people are friendly & helpful and the few that have their own agendas have decided to avoid the resultant earache of trying to push them on me (they just glare at me as they walk past me in the street, whilst greeting me through gritted teeth LOL - and I expect you can guess who they are....).

I've still got The Weather (worse than I'm used to)/dogs kept in gardens sometimes and then allowed to bark (which I'm not used to).

The truth of the matter - it helps a lot once the house is sorted. The further truth of the matter - I would go back if I could afford to (but that means a house worth a LOT more than the one I have - in order to have a detached house and in the nicest area of my city). I may or may not always feel that way.....

Changing house within the same part of the country is a noticeably smaller challenge than doing so to a different part of the country - but there are still a lot of factors to take into account. Hence I notice those on here that are trying to move (sometimes voluntarily/sometimes not) and can understand the frustration involved in thinking "What I'm after IS perfectly reasonable - so how come it's so difficult/impossible to get?"
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 11th Feb 18, 12:26 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 31,857 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Believe me, MTSTM, we do have a long list; it's far from one issue! The most pressing being care of my mother, but to be fair that problem could - cease to be a problem - at any point, though I can't help hoping that it doesn't. But there are a number of other things, the most important being that staying put is negatively impacting on OH's mental health; he has never liked this area or this house, and he's been "stuck here" for 25+ years...

The area we're in is a little medieval market town on the outskirts of a reasonably big conurbation. In accordance with the local bigwigs' "vision" for the area, hundreds of nice new "executive" homes are being slapped up on the ex-green-belt land around us, and all the lovely little local shops that offered good service and interesting goods are being replaced by upmarket chainstores as quickly as the landlords can double the rent. We are to become an "aspirational shopping destination", apparently, meaning that us hoi-polloi can't actually afford to shop here any longer, or buy anything that's actually any use if we're not planning to tackle Ben Nevis this week. Not to mention parking...

It would do The Offspring a lot of good to have new pastures to explore & they can't afford to do that on their own hereabouts. I have friends - good friends - family & business contacts all over the county, though I'd miss my local crew very much. In my dreams, not only do we have a house & garden big enough for us all - or at least a couple of shepherd's huts/garden rooms in the garden! - but also parking & a studio in which the DDs & I can run workshops & possibly even courses. BUT we're up against serious money, the sort that needs a paddock for Fenella's pony and a kitchen you could lose Jamie Oliver plus Gordon Ramsey in. So my job now is to persuade OH to look at village houses or 30s semis, which are much more affordable & down here do often have big gardens behind them, and useful outbuildings, but aren't the detached cottage with roses round the door that he's been dreaming of all this time.
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 11-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Angie

GC Feb18 £239.33/£400
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 £162.67/£350

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 28,523 Posts
    • 160,742 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh Thriftwizard, what a disappointing turn development has taken in your village We have a mix of infill building and greenbelt building here - a quiet country lane on the edge of the town has become a sort of bypass, not that there's any heavy traffic around here anyway, as there's a huge motorway in the right direction, just 10 minutes drive away.

Right, this is me trying to get my act together to do something in the garden this afternoon.
    Retired August 2016
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 11,326 Posts
    • 69,504 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been looking for a 30s semi, the only ones up for sale are on land which has been flooded and now surrounded by new developments and hundreds of lorries going back and forth and much further afield. I too am despairing and this development stuff now, it is only the beginning. Look at the development plan for any area and there they are, proposals for 50+ houses on many small fields

Today has evolved and I thought I would do a bit of prepping for when photos are taken, no idea when though. I put a turbo head on my very powerful sebo, cannot buy these powerful ones any more btw and I cleaned behind and under serveral bits upstairs. I have sisal carpet on stairs and landing so the beating is good for it. Then I decided that the very useful extension leads which I had carefully pinned along skirtings and around doors, they needed to come off and the de-humidifier, only used for laundry, needed to go in a cupboard. Holes were left in wood, lots of them so I have been using white furniture wax crayon and it has done a darn good job. The large heated airer will now have to go into the garage and I will be watching for sunny days but the landing is clear

Same downstairs, took the extension off the wall behind the stove, was only for a lamp. In process I put a low and wide green plant on the coffee table and though wow, there it will stay until the stove goes off or the photographer comes and then it will go on the hearth. That lamp table is now being tested with an aluminium tray filled with green potted plants,it passed with flying colours. I stuck a strip of felted jumper underneath and the glue is drying now

Next, while in mode, small barometer off the hall wall and large photo pictures taken off and switched between rooms, much better

Sorry, yet again I waffled, this prep is part of future prepping. I want to be cool and calm when I sell
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 11,593 Posts
    • 223,573 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I have sowed the fields and scattered the good seed on the land....

Well, I finished the prepping of an area of allotment representing just under a quarter of the available ground and sowed my onion sets, 2 nets of Stuttgarter and 1 net of Red Baron, from £land as always, reliable little performers.

I hear from some plotholders that they can't grow onions and feel embarrassed to be so successful at it because I do very little other than poke them into the ground and hoe around them occasionally. Actually, that isn't quite true, the fertility of the soil is something I work on very earnestly, once the stuff is in it just grows according to sun and rain, and neither of those are in my control.

Been reading your comments about the difficulties of hunting for your next homes with compassion and gratitude. Gratitude that I'm far too poor to be in a position to buy a property and am thus spared all the worries about making the right choice with so many variables in play, including ones related to future development. Or, in my city's case, runaway subsidence issues including sinkholes.

Choice is generally lauded as a good thing but it brings with it worries and the perpetual feeling that a better option might be just around the corner or that the slightly-less-than-ideal thing you have under consideration now might be as good as it gets and you'd kick yourself if you passed on it.

An acquaintance of mine shopped for a house using the criteria which mattered most to her; the biggest available south-facing garden in the city in her price bracket. The 1950s ex-council house attatched to said garden was less important, although still perfectly liveable.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 14,463 Posts
    • 136,095 Thanks
    mardatha
    My youngest son has a nice wee flat that he will rent to us if we ever find this house too hard to cope with. I'll save it for my real old age though as it's in a town of 2500 people and that to me is seriously urban lol. Not sure if I'd ever adapt to being so crowded.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 11,593 Posts
    • 223,573 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    My youngest son has a nice wee flat that he will rent to us if we ever find this house too hard to cope with. I'll save it for my real old age though as it's in a town of 2500 people and that to me is seriously urban lol. Not sure if I'd ever adapt to being so crowded.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Damned near spat soup on the monitor!

2,500 people is a village around here!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• JamesO
    • By JamesO 11th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    JamesO
    Originally posted by mardatha

• By DigForVictory 11th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 20,354 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Watched the snow fall from a warm house with loaded larder, fridge freezer & pantry.

Son went on a walk - then it snowed. He came home cheerful & fine but then got a critique of his kit from his (relieved!) father. I'm more concerned about him overnighting at his gf's - they live on a steep hill & I would not fancy getting a car to them in this weather.
    "They know what they're doing" will not impress me at all on his tombstone.

That looks like my valley but for the glasshouse. There are traffic islands for crossing pedestrians - the sheep use them, the teenagers don't.
    • dND
    • By dND 12th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 6,185 Thanks
    dND
    Just jumping in quickly here

I've been reading all your house move posts with interest as I do hope to sell soon and buy back in the UK. Prices in France are much lower than in the UK so I know I'm going to be pushed to find an affordable property.

My question is; I believe that a lot of the new housing being built will be assigned to the help-to-buy schemes. Do you think that will help keep the prices down on 'second-hand' properties? That's what I'm hoping as I too want some garden and a garage.

Good luck everyone. xx

• maryb
    • By maryb 12th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 43,221 Thanks
    maryb
    Prices do seem to be softening dND but asking prices aren't coming down much - yet. But properties are sticking for longer and vendors are having to take lower offers than they did a year ago. I think that will accelerate when interest rates start to rise later this year.

I'm an interested observer because DD1 has just completed on a flat where the asking price came down by £20,000 before she saw it. They wouldn't accept a lower offer although I believe she may well have paid a bit over the odds even at the reduced price. But we discussed it and decided it was worth it because the location is absolutely perfect. Nice tree lined road, good local facilities and excellent transport links and she is only 4 minutes from the station and 10 minutes from an alternative line. And she has a five year fix at a really good rate. There comes a point where you just have to make the best decision you can with the resources and information you have
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 43,221 Thanks
    maryb
    I should add, I'm talking about suburban London, where there are lots of similar properties. But from what I read, the major lenders are not expecting house price growth this year. That could just as easily translate into house price falls
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 11,326 Posts
    • 69,504 Thanks
    kittie
    [QUOTE=dND;73868190
    My question is; I believe that a lot of the new housing being built will be assigned to the help-to-buy schemes. Do you think that will help keep the prices down on 'second-hand' properties? That's what I'm hoping as I too want some garden and a garage.
    [/QUOTE]

no, in fact they are becoming relatively more expensive. Supply and demand. Too many people, too few houses. I am pretty shocked at the prices of older property
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 20,354 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Another prepping bonus is those who have determinedly social family members. Son who went on that hike yesterday? Was texted & asked to bring milk back & did.

Resupplied with no additional risk to existing household although I think a minor civil war over the Bourbon biscuits is about to break out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 11,302 Posts
    • 157,375 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Prices of houses here in south Hants are ludicrously high and the council here has just passed planning for the first 400 new homes of the 1,000 they are planning to build in this village alone and not one of them will be affordable for the young folk who were born here as they will continue to build 4 and 5 bedroomed (some even bigger) 'executive' houses with minute gardens and the only folk who will be able to pay the prices are those from larger cities, particularly London it appears, whose homes are worth even more ludicrous sums than ours. I would so love to see homes built that my girls school friends now all in their 30's could afford here in the village but the developers aren't interested in communities and serving their needs for the future, just the huge profits they can make by building bigger and more expensive houses. The young continue to be forced away to other areas.

Our house hunting venture to be closer to the girls has effectively ground to a halt at present. The market is so very slow in our chosen area that nothing new seems to be worth looking at and just before half term we had a discussion with DD1 who is possibly going to relocate with James and until we know where we will stick here.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 11,326 Posts
    • 69,504 Thanks
    kittie
    The market is so very slow in our chosen area that nothing new seems to be worth looking at and just before half term we had a discussion with DD1 who is possibly going to relocate with James and until we know where we will stick here.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    similar here, DD2 and her husband have said that they will be selling and moving to very rural in the future, I know not when and neither do they. One plan was to go a little further east but that would be further from DD1. I am hedging my bets and only looking very close to home now. I always knew that I would not be trailing from house to house following the children. I must make my own way and am aware of it but it makes the prospect of moving even more `lonely` knowing this. Many many people in the same boat and one relative, 8 years older, cannot move because of a poor decision made many years ago re equity release. They are trapped, loving where they live but very many miles from either child
    • Witless
    • By Witless 12th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    Witless
    Made an elementary mistake today: I normally withdraw cash on a Tuesday only but needed a top up of a few quid as I wasn't making the main withdrawal until Thursday for a variety of reasons.

ATM beeped at me, and like a prat I stood and listened, then watched as the card disappeared into the bowels of the machine. (Got my money OK though.)

Bank was closed as it was after 16:30. Rang, but it'll take 5 working days (or 7 to 10 calendar days) until the card is retrieved* & returned or a new one issued.

* it was a supermarket ATM, not a bank branch one (parking is non existent at the branch)

Now - here's where the prepping comes in.

Because I'm cynical don't trust banks sensible I keep a fair portion of my money in our local Credit Union, with a modest amount in a secondary account in a different bank (working on the principle they won't both have simultaneous IT failures) for online purchasing, mobile phone etc.

I also keep some** cash here in notes & coins and some in my mate's house.***

** about 6 weeks(ish) spending money, plus whatever the coin stash is - about £110 at the moment (I stick £100 in the CU every time I get to £200 IYSWIM)

*** They do the same (for the same reasons) - we each have sealed envelopes in each other's safes: not massive amounts, but the sort that could come in handy in a "I'm stuck, come & get me ... and bring the envelope" situation. Also - no point in having money you can't get at (hospital admission etc)

So

Option A (non prepper) panic, no card for up to 10 days ~ try & get to bank to take out cash over the counter

Option B (prepper) relax, either use own stash, secondary card, coins, or the 'emergency' envelope to spend / live normally or go to the CU if something major crops up then refill stash when card arrives.

I know which option I prefer.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 14,463 Posts
    • 136,095 Thanks
    mardatha
    This is why I never ever use cash machines. Too easy to get stuffed lol
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 28,523 Posts
    • 160,742 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well done witless!

I only use cash machines inside the bank - then I have a member of staff on call right away if there's a problem. But yes to the stashes in other places and other accounts. Don't have any stashed with anyone else, thats something to think about.
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 11,302 Posts
    • 157,375 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Me too Karma, I won't use an outside one in a public place since someone cloned my card. Luckily it was all sorted out and restitution made but it leaves a sour taste doesn't it? I don't just use the inside cash machines, I wait until the separate one situated next to the deposits machine is free, right inside the bank building and right away from anyone standing behind you. I don't think many folks know it's there BUT I DO!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

852Posts Today

7,253Users online

Martin's Twitter