Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 313
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    Well Bob the govt cut the money they give to the councils and then sit back and watch the councils get the blame. Divide and conquer lol. But I'm not getting into politics on here it just makes me ratty. The number one prep in life has to be against our own govt, that is very true.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 28,335 Posts
    • 157,762 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I grew up in a chemical industry town on Merseyside, and have the delicate mucous membranes to prove the effect pollution can have. Many of these medicines were developed and originally manufactured there. I don't believe my cave-painting ancestors walking across from Europe via Dogger had troublesome sinuses like mine.
    Originally posted by Shropshirelass
    Me too ... right in Liverpool, where the washing came in from the washing line dirty it was better (in terms of pollution, at any rate!) when we moved to the Wirral, but the wind came straight in from the Irish Sea to our 300 foot high hill

Well Bob the govt cut the money they give to the councils and then sit back and watch the councils get the blame. Divide and conquer lol. But I'm not getting into politics on here it just makes me ratty. The number one prep in life has to be against our own govt, that is very true.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I wish I had the energy, Mar ... trying to catch up with myself, and trying to live my life, is taking everything I've got. And frankly, though I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory - vested interest in the status quo, plus propaganda, keeps things the way they are I fought so hard against that in my 20s and 30s, but its still there
    Retired August 2016
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    And my own dad fought against it in his 20s and 30s too Karmacat! And yet here we are today, back to the days of casual labour, now dressed up as "zero hours contracts" and back to the days when the sick starved and froze quietly at home
    • Witless
    • By Witless 5th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Witless
    .... and I: in my 20s, 30s .... now into my 60s and still trying.

With acknowledgement, and thanks, to Alphonse Karr (Les GuÍpes, January 1849 ) -
    plus Áa change, plus c'est la mÍme chose
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 11,523 Posts
    • 221,989 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Gee thanks, BB. Thanks a flippin' bundle.

I (local government employee) had a pay increase in the present tax year for the first time in the best part of a decade. Net, it would buy me one medium portion of chips per week. It doesn't come anywhere near keeping up with the cost of living increases in this year, never mind the ones in previous years. The cumulative effect of the loss of pay over many years means I and other like me are sliding into poverty.

Most of my colleagues scrabble around with side gigs, like having a second job, or selling online, doing the electoral canvass/ elections duties etc etc. We're chazzer experts and YS blackbelts and work like crazy and are still only just above the poverty line ourselves.

I'm on the verge of slipping out of income tax liability altogether, because the threshold inches upwards annually and the wages don't; I may not pay any income tax after April, which will mean no more gift-aiding chazzer donations. Bliddy NI is x 4.5 the income tax already and I will be still paying that, of course.

For our sins (and I work one month every year to pay my council tax in a Band A property in a deprived ward) we get to take all the fallout from the public when they find out that they can't get what they used to get for the ever-increasing council tax. The public forgets, or never even knew, that millions of ££ spent in their area each year wasn't ever raised locally, it came from central government, and they've been cutting it back by multiple millions per authority, year in and year out. About three-quarters came from central government, not council tax. Where did that money go, lovely peeps?

Sooo, if you wanna !!!!! about politicians, give your local council(s) a flippin' break and take the fight to the perpetrators in Lunnon Town.

* climbs off soapbox and stomps off to go hunting YS bargains instead of doing something extravagant like buying a bag of chips. Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!*
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    Gimme a guillotine! Gimme a barricade!! Gimme a bag of chips!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 11,523 Posts
    • 221,989 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Gimme a guillotine! Gimme a barricade!! Gimme a bag of chips!!
    Heh! I can't afford chips for mesel, never mind for mad arthur.

One good thing about having had some sketchy eating in the past 3 days - lost 0.7 kg.........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 5th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 9,904 Posts
    • 51,882 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Well Bob the govt cut the money they give to the councils and then sit back and watch the councils get the blame.
    The money the Government gives to the Councils, is our money anyway, so, whether the money to pay for local services comes from central Government or Council Tax, it's still our money being used.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    Apart from what the govt keep in their hot sticky wee trotters... that's ours too but we'll never see it again.
    Snow showers this morning and to be minus 6 tonight.
    RV had a terrible night, heart pounding,distressed and shaky - then we found he forgot to take his heart pills yesterday. Never happened before and makes us realise how good those pills are.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 7th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 31,337 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Had an email round about wind-damaged "structures" at the allotments, so OH & I hot-footed it over there this morning (first day he's really been up to a walk in the icy blasts) to assess any damage to our free-off-Gumtree bodged-together shed. I'm delighted to report that it was still sitting sturdily on the edge of our plot & nothing of ours seems to have suffered any great harm beyond a little nibbling and some frost-shock to the perpetual spinach, which it'll bounce back from. Some other plot-holders haven't been so lucky; some of the little plastic greenhouses have flown clear over the site & collapsed in a heap by the fence & there are composters & waterbutts in some very strange places.

Even though it does cut down the sunlight a little, and gives us an ongoing battle against some fearsome weeds, I'm blessing the day I picked a plot with a hedge alongside it...
    Angie

GC Jan18 £286.60/£380
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 £45.00/£350

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 28,335 Posts
    • 157,762 Thanks
    Karmacat
    RV had a terrible night, heart pounding,distressed and shaky - then we found he forgot to take his heart pills yesterday. Never happened before and makes us realise how good those pills are.
    I'm glad you realised, at least, mar - hope there were no aftereffects from forgetting the pills

Had an email round about wind-damaged "structures" at the allotments, so OH & I hot-footed it over there this morning (first day he's really been up to a walk in the icy blasts) to assess any damage to our free-off-Gumtree bodged-together shed. I'm delighted to report that it was still sitting sturdily on the edge of our plot & nothing of ours seems to have suffered any great harm beyond a little nibbling and some frost-shock to the perpetual spinach, which it'll bounce back from. Some other plot-holders haven't been so lucky; some of the little plastic greenhouses have flown clear over the site & collapsed in a heap by the fence & there are composters & waterbutts in some very strange places.

Even though it does cut down the sunlight a little, and gives us an ongoing battle against some fearsome weeds, I'm blessing the day I picked a plot with a hedge alongside it...
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Glad you've got no damage!

Wind here has picked up again this morning, though not as bad as the bit that took down the remainder of my gently decomposing fence, which is now stacked just outside the front door ...
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 11,523 Posts
    • 221,989 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    You've got the makings of a bonfire, Karmakat!

I've had a wee bonfire today, the wind was in the correct quarter - heading out over the common, informal site rules (i.e. cultural information passed from existing plotholders to newbies) is that we don't have bonfires when the wind is blowing t'other way, which is actually the prevailing wind, as it blows towards the houses.

Burned up a dried-out pile of runner bean haulms and the last of the sunflower stalks. The big bonfire was in autumn but these things were still green, then.

Busily preparing for the coming growing season, have added a chytte-tonne * of spent coffee grounds and some ground-up eggshells into the soil, part of the ongoing project. Have also harvested some feral chard, which overwinters perfectly well but which looks a touch tatty at this time of year. And leeks, there's always leeks.

Me and my hipster toyboy ( a lovely chap half my age who is a pal, to the great amusement of my peers who insist he's my toyboy, he's in on the joke because I told him) have been hatching plans for charging around town in his car and bargaineering. He gives me (and the coffee grounds) lifts and I give him gardening tips, what could be more perfect?

* The chytte-tonne is one of the less-commonly used metric measurements, a bit like decilitres - it exists but you don't find it used much. This is attributable to the EU committee, which coined the term, not realising that it's likely to sound rather vulgar in English. Someone did try to warn them, and got a blank look and a gallic shrug for their troubles. You may want to save this factoid in case you need it for a pub quiz one day.**

** And if you believe that, I have an excellent investment opportunity for you, applications via the PM system, first come first served.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 28,335 Posts
    • 157,762 Thanks
    Karmacat
    a perfect day, then, GQ

A bonfire! Yep, I could, actually - this was the first day without rain for a looong time, lovely sun (I got some washing out on the line!) and I hope the situation will be good for a bonfire in the next few days. That would help the garden situation - there's a *lot* of wood waiting around ...
    Retired August 2016
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 11,386 Posts
    • 61,631 Thanks
    elona
    Fuddle

I once tucked a hankie sprinkled with essential oils down my nightie
    neckline to help my stuffed up nose and woke up to find a red rash like a burn on my neck It took a few panicked minutes before I realised what had caused it.

A very old cure for a sore throat was to have a boiled or roasted onion put into a sock which was folded round the neck.

Personally I like hot lemonade or blackcurrant juice and essential oils burned in a special holder.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    I haven't poked my whiskers outside for weeks. I really need to get out a walk tomorrow, I'm looking very peelywally (peaky to you furriners). Was nice today, sunny and blue skies but a high of minus 2. Garden still under 2" of frozen snow.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 28,335 Posts
    • 157,762 Thanks
    Karmacat
    2" of frozen snow is just ....

I started my initiative to increase my stamina today - as I added quite a bit to the official part, by popping off to the shops afterwards, I'm shattered! But I did also meet a couple of local ladies - that's part of my prepping, to make more links locally.
    Retired August 2016
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ventured down to the postvan and then round the village - 3 very short streets, 24 houses . Was so cold I had to cover my mouth with a scarf, as breathing hurt. Temp dropping like a stone now and the sky a lovely blend of blue and pink and violet.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 134,163 Thanks
    mardatha
    Some scary reading on FluTrackers re the flu outbreak in America..
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jan 18, 8:22 AM
    • 11,581 Posts
    • 66,903 Thanks
    kittie
    frightening about the flu mar. I am avoiding people as much as possible and certainly not going shopping, would rather make do with what I have in the house and entertain myself at home

Trouble is trying to have some exercise, I much prefer cycling because pounding the lanes is bad on my knees and ankles and I mean determined walking not running. Cycling in cold air ( <9) is not good for me because of the deep breathing and ultimately the open mouth breathing. So I go up and down stairs.

I keep thinking that the queen doesn`t do active exercise and she is a ripe old age and so are a couple of people I know at 90+ who don`t exercise apart from ambling around. I always come out of winter without losing too much of my cycling ability so I think we are meant to hibernate quietly, to keep us safe through the cold months
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 31,337 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I keep thinking that the queen doesn`t do active exercise and she is a ripe old age and so are a couple of people I know at 90+ who don`t exercise apart from ambling around.
    Kittie, my mother’s 91 and her idea of exercise has always been opening the car door. She’s forever telling me off for using the stairs rather than the lift, or “scurrying about” - “you’ll wear yourself out, you know!” No amount of government advice is going to make her think that going out in the cold or getting sweaty (NOT ladylike) can ever do you good! She could be fitter, it’s true, and would probably be happier if she was, but at the end of the day, genes & sheer luck play the major part and all we can do is improve our chances of staying independent & capable for our allotted span. So I’d agree - stay indoors!
    Angie

GC Jan18 £286.60/£380
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 £45.00/£350

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,514Posts Today

8,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

• RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

• Follow Martin