Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 312
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 2nd Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    I have flu at the moment, since Saturday. I wouldn't even go out for £50.

DH is discovering cooking skills he hasn't used for 20 years, unfortunately I have no appetite (perhaps fortunately)
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 3rd Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 31,408 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Bit breezy last night! When I went to let the chickens out this morning, the polytunnel that has lined their run since last year’s Avian Flu panic had blown clean down. Luckily all the bits were still there & undamaged, so I was able to pop it back together again & they won’t get wet feet if it pours. And the bantams are having fun in the wind, pretending they can fly. Always makes me laugh!
    Angie

GC Jan18 £329.10/£380
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 £45.00/£350

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 3rd Jan 18, 9:57 AM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 53,339 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Sending get-well wishes, Shropshirelass

thriftwizard I'd love to see the bantams
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 28,353 Posts
    • 157,886 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sending get-well wishes, Shropshirelass

Originally posted by ivyleaf
    From me too, to both of you.

Storm Eleanor has finished taking down some rotten fence panels for me. Though I had to drag them away from the neighbour's car after I'd sawn through the remaining post...

I'm concerned about these flu reports too. Supposed to be seeing two exhibitions in the next two weeks, in London - I shan't be travelling at rush hour, but still
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jan 18, 10:34 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 155,364 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've both got head colds, certain it's not the flu but is enough to make us feel ghastly and wish we hadn't got it! Very little sleep for either of us last night despite being in separate rooms as noses constantly running and congested and achey bones do not lead to sleepfulness! Ne'mind this morning at least the sun is shining even if we still have high winds. I've opened the small windows in the upstairs rooms to give us a blow through and freshen us up a little. The thing that gives most comfort is balsam tissues which stop noses from being as sore as they might be and hot drinks when needed which stop throats being too sore to cope. This, as with all annoyances, will pass and likely more quickly than we think it will, but today we're feeling a little sorry for ourselves and fragile round the edges, roll on tomorrow and hopefully after a better sleep we'll both be feeling much more our usual annoying selves.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 3rd Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 56,268 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Mrs LW - Honey, lemon, ginger, paracetamol, steam inhalations - and sod the household chores! Be kind to yourselves and take it easy for the next few days.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 3rd Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 31,408 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Herewith, Ivyleaf - Nura & Luna the Buff Pekins using DD1 as a launchpad...

2pekins by Angie C..., on Flickr
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 04-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Angie

GC Jan18 £329.10/£380
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 £45.00/£350

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 3rd Jan 18, 10:08 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 23,861 Thanks
    jk0
    Poorly too :(
    Grr... I caught a cold on the bus the other night. I sat by an open window too, to try to blow people's germs away.

I've got two tips that worked brilliantly last night:

1.) Gargle with a single soluble aspirin in water then swallow. (For a sore throat.)
    2.) Take a long hot bath at bedtime, and hop into a cool bed as soon as you are dry.

I went to bed at midnight and did not wake until 7.30.
    • elona
    • By elona 3rd Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 11,395 Posts
    • 61,719 Thanks
    elona
    Don't forget Vicks rubbed into the soles of your feet at bedtime and socks put on before you go to bed.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 4th Jan 18, 6:14 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    On a prepping note, I always have a goodly supply of Tempo tissues in, they have balsam, aloe Vera etc, and you can have a good blow on one tissue. Only find them in the independent grocer round here (NISA) so I keep a few boxes in. Also Vicks, Sudafed (ephedrine only), Olbas, Vaseline, vit. C drink, lip salve, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. And lots of soap and clean towels to try to avoid sharing the bug. Why would they develop a cure with sales possibility like that?

I grew up in a chemical industry town on Merseyside, and have the delicate mucous membranes to prove the effect pollution can have. Many of these medicines were developed and originally manufactured there. I don't believe my cave-painting ancestors walking across from Europe via Dogger had troublesome sinuses like mine.

Anyway, the desire to sleep 26 hours a day has left me, so it has taken 6 days since the original upset tummy, headache, sore throat, aches, throbbing joints, hot and cold shivers, runny nose, and general feeling that I'll probably be dead tomorrow anyway.
    Best wishes to anyone else suffering, hope you feel better soon.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 155,364 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Much improved today He Who Knows has actually gone 'walkies' and I've cleaned the house! still 'sniffy' round the edges but feeling vaguely human again. I can't take anything other than paracetamol or ibuprofen due to other regular meds so it's a case of be kind to the nose and weather the bug! The sky is leaden out there this morning but the wind has gone thank goodness, we're due a great deal of rain and then things improve but get much colder, hopefully seeing off lots of germs!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 4th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Happy New Year
    Just heard our council tax is going up by 5.99% They have promised next year it will be only 3.99%, as it was last year. That will be more than 14% in 3 years.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 14,323 Posts
    • 134,332 Thanks
    mardatha
    People really need to get organised and tell this govt where they get off. They're getting away with murder and that only makes them worse!!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6,038 Posts
    • 91,611 Thanks
    fuddle
    I've had upper respiratory issues since Christmas day and now struggling with sinus headaches. I am trying so hard to not let this turn bacterial but I fear I can't fight it myself. At least, hammering hard on wood, it hasn't gone anywhere near the lungs or bronchial tubes this time.

Elona DH told me to put sliced potato in my socks for bed. I like your idea better!

If its any consolation my brother-in-law is super fit and his upper respiratory infection has floored him for 3 weeks. The bugs this year are effecting so many it seems.

I'm out of eucalyptus oil now and burning olbas. That's probably not very wise but in desperation. Oh, and elona, remember I had a chuckle a wee while back when you got essential oil in your eye? Er, I dabbed my pillow, rolled over and spent an unspecified amount of time with my eye lay in it. I awoke with my poor eye stinging. Serves me right!

Oh and jko I'm avoiding the bus because I swear that is how I'm picking up so many infections of late. They are red hot, full of condensation and littered with tune of cough, sneeze and splutter! Both DD and I have been I'll... It's DD and I who sometimes use the bus.
    Last edited by fuddle; 04-01-2018 at 1:58 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 11,591 Posts
    • 67,012 Thanks
    kittie
    heck the page is very wide, can`t see the thanks button

fuddle, garlic bashed and put on soles of feet also works. A very old remedy. Yes potato is an old remedy.

https://flusurvey.org.uk/

Personally I am staying away from groups of people
    Last edited by kittie; 04-01-2018 at 5:28 PM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 4th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 53,339 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    kittie Blimey, so it is! It was fine until I wanted to post.

thriftwizard Thank you for the pic of the bantams. Someone near us seems to have acquired some chickens, as we keep hearing a cockerel crowing in the morning. It seems such an unexpected sound in suburbia, Shades of Tom and Barbara Good!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 14,323 Posts
    • 134,332 Thanks
    mardatha
    We hit Asda and Costco first thing this morning - and the shop was very empty but a man passed by and sneezed right beside us. No hand up no apology just sneezed and walked on. And looked me right in the eye as I glared at him.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6,038 Posts
    • 91,611 Thanks
    fuddle
    heck the page is very wide, can`t see the thanks button

fuddle, garlic bashed and put on soles of feet also works. A very old remedy. Yes potato is an old remedy.
    Originally posted by kittie
    Oh dear. That's me going to go eat humble pie. I laughed at him. Doh! l'll never live it down, what with being an old wives tale and all.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 4th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 51,920 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    People really need to get organised and tell this govt where they get off. They're getting away with murder and that only makes them worse!!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I think your gripe should probably be with the Councils, because it's them, not the Government, who have decided how much to raise CT.

Also, something has to rise, in order to pay increased wages.

It's just a question of which prices/tax/duty to raise.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • Perplexed Pineapple
    • By Perplexed Pineapple 4th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 6,313 Thanks
    Perplexed Pineapple
    I think your gripe should probably be with the Councils, because it's them, not the Government, who have decided how much to raise CT.

Also, something has to rise, in order to pay increased wages.

It's just a question of which prices/tax/duty to raise.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I'm sure that's a big part of the reason, BB. The national minimum wage in 2015 was £6.70 I think. It will be £7.83 this year. That's a 16% increase and I should think councils have a lot of low wage employees. GQ will know I expect. I'm not keen on higher bills but I do think wages need to go up for the lowest paid, so if that's where the money is going fair enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,931Posts Today

8,334Users online

Martin's Twitter