Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 304
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,609 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Rats are far too smart to get themselves caught in traps.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Not when the trap has four legs and fur.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 132,272 Thanks
    mardatha
    I had a family of rats move into the garden once when I had chickens, and the feral ginger tom that I used to feed at the back door took care of them all. That was after we tried traps and poison, and even shooting them from the doorstep
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 28,085 Thanks
    pineapple
    Rats are an ongoing problem here - partly due to the farm on one side, my bonkers food scattering neighbour on the other and the nearby river.
    The farmer refuses to have a cat as he contends their faeces can infect livestock (would have thought vermin was the bigger issue) and my neighbour refuses to stop scattering bird food on the ground. She does it every day before dusk. Sometimes you can see the rats lining up on her shed for their evening meal. And of course they cut through my garden from the farm to get there.
    I used to have a perspex bird feeding tray attached to the window. Then one day I saw a rat stood on the ledge on tiptoes stretching to get at the food. I was inside so got the full frontal view.
    We go through phases of putting down poison or traps but it feels like a pointless kill fest. I've heard it said said that nature just fills the vacuum as for a time there is more food available for less vermin. Got some rat traps down outside at the mo but all I got so far was a poor wee mouse.
    I hate the poison too as apparently it's a terrible death (not that I would hesitate if I got them in the house!). You would think would you not that in this day and age they could invent something that would just put them to sleep or maybe even just stop the reproductive cycle.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 28,085 Thanks
    pineapple
    Ratty's back, as GQ predicted. I can hear him chewing under my kitchen units. There are still the bait boxes there, left untouched by last year's rats. Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by jk0
    Have you tried the ultrasonic repellers? I once had gnawing sounds in a party wall. I plugged in one of those and no more sounds. My neighbours have some in their loft and swear by them.
    Do you know where they are getting in?
    The other thing to try is changing the brand of poison
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    Yes, someone else recommended the ultrasonic gadgets. I am wary of them in case they damage my hearing.

Fun & games with the rat man this morning:

He found a hole between my kitchen and below the floor under my downstairs wc used by the electrician running the wiring for the kitchen sockets. He put some bait down the hole, then pushed in wire wool. Unfortunately the wire had been nibbled by the rat, and so set fire to the wire wool!

We got the hole sealed in the end with silicone.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 8,054 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have the ultrasonic ones in my garage and no problem with ears or rats! I was reading only yesterday how some rats are going to be given drugs in their feed to only allow them to reproduce males. That should soon cut down the general population.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    I was reading only yesterday how some rats are going to be given drugs in their feed to only allow them to reproduce males. That should soon cut down the general population.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Wouldn't it be better if people did not feed them at all?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 132,272 Thanks
    mardatha
    Does the ultrasonic thingy interfere with cats or dogs? I have a really loud gnawing inside my wall with next door, but the cat sleeps in that room..
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    Does the ultrasonic thingy interfere with cats or dogs? I have a really loud gnawing inside my wall with next door, but the cat sleeps in that room..
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I should tell cat he's got the sack.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 132,272 Thanks
    mardatha
    She's far too posh to even contemplate anything as low as a rat. If she ever saw one she'd scream and run up my leg!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 8th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 55,688 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Wouldn't it be better if people did not feed them at all?
    Originally posted by jk0
    I suppose the thinking is that the beggars will get food wherever they can find it, so you might as well provide them with some food with extra special “seasoning”....
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Dec 17, 9:16 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 19,637 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I hope I get to that point because at 13 and 9 my girls have me demented.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    And that is entirely normal. Completely undocumented in the baby books & mummy manuals but absolutely normal. If they show any signs of emerging before they are old enough to vote, it's a false dawn or there's been trauma. (Worse, it can be Both.)

Mum used to whimper at us to be nice to each other - baby sis, scenting fresh meat snarled "so when did you & your sisters get on, then?" and after some meditative arithmetic, mum admitted "about 40". Which cheered her up a little.

Me, I think she's a raving optimist as while they were all married mothers, she & I are the only ones thus & my sisters remain strong minded bachelor gals. Only when we girls have something solidly in common, like complete bereavement, are we going to be able to meet on common ground, I fear.

As for rats, get the professional chemists in. Pronto, as I'd hate to see a valid house insurance claim succumb to the "failed to take proper care of the fabric" clause...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    Overnight inspiration
    The rat-man who came yesterday made a point of going all round my property to see if there were any holes where a rat could go in. It struck me overnight that the previous owner used a broken metal air vent in the garage to take mains out there.

I just went out to the garage, dragged my workbench away from the vent, and sure enough the cable was partially nibbled. I detached the cable and bolted a couple of bits of sheet steel over the broken vent.

Fingers crossed, that does the trick.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,609 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    It snowed overnight, and for most of today (it's stopped at the moment), and we currently have maybe 1" of snow on the ground.

Judging by the sky, I'm expecting we'll get more overnight tonight.

• Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 9th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 28,637 Posts
    • 72,960 Thanks
    Mojisola
    It snowed overnight, and for most of today (it's stopped at the moment), and we currently have maybe 1" of snow on the ground.

Judging by the sky, I'm expecting we'll get more overnight tonight.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    We've got 4+", well frozen, and another 4" or so to come tonight to top it up.

Planning on staying home tomorrow.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,609 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    And it's snowing again.

• dND
    • By dND 10th Dec 17, 7:02 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 5,700 Thanks
    dND
    Take care everyone, stay safe and stay warm. xx

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 10th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 30,824 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Grey & soggy here! We did have a tiny flurry of sleety stuff on Friday morning, but nothing more. It’s also considerably warmer now.
    Angie

GC Dec17 £248.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Dec 17, 10:04 AM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,320 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    We were expecting rain, but have snow which keeps turning to rain, sleet and back to snow again. Not deep snow thought! Only about 1 cm.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 41,055 Thanks
    maryb
    Same here Ivyleaf - not too surprising as we're not that far from you. I laughed when I saw the Mail headline - breathlessly announcing there could be FLURRIES in LONDON!!

But I will hole up indoors until it's all gone. Don't fancy another three months in a back brace
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,489Posts Today

8,178Users online

Martin's Twitter