Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 299
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 7:57 AM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 38,505 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I can relate to that.

Mind you, back then, as a young teenager, a power cut was an adventure.

Nowadays, it's just a giant PITA.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    You missed a bit BB

The one that goes "....and the second everything is working normally again - I'm going to get on my computer and google for if the company owes me any compensation for that interruption to service"....

....or is that just Water Boards that have to pay up if their problem causes an interruption in your supply?

EDIT; Perhaps we ought to have a contest as to how much "chasing" we have to do to get some firm/someone to do their job properly in the course of a year? Right now - I've had to chase (twice) re an item ordered from Amazon that never got delivered (refund finally coming). I've had to chase Welsh Water recently (got the compensation money now). Currently chasing re electric problems in my house that "shouldnt be". Chasing because opticians dont yet have to (by law) put all the prescription details down on a prescription and some choose not to (oooh...now that wouldnt be to try and prevent us going to another optician - as we prefer their frames would it?).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 30-11-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Nov 17, 9:09 AM
    • 14,147 Posts
    • 132,212 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yes Daz you should, as you need to replace your preps!
    • daz378
    • By daz378 30th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    daz378
    i have an IP hiding program , newly started using and each time i visit mse im disconnected from it strange
    • herbily
    • By herbily 30th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    herbily
    Interesting moral question , say the contract finished and i had to sign on but would not be paid for 5 weeks , being a prepper with at least 2 month food , should i still use the foodbank?
    Originally posted by daz378
    Hate to break this to you, but you have to be referred to get a voucher for the foodbank, which gives you a three-day food supply, and the maximum you can get is two or three vouchers depending on where you live - so you'll still need your supplies, even with the food bank vouchers. (This applies to foodbanks run on Trussell Trust lines, which is most of them. Occasionally you might find a church-run one that has more generous limits, but they still won't be giving out five weeks of supplies.)

Edited to add: I'm hopeless on the moral issues, but on the purely practical side I'd say, don't let your cupboards run dry.

Foodbanks in this country are a very limited safety net, many are only open one or two days a week, and you've got to get the council/ CAB/ health worker to sponsor you. Not quite like putting your kids down for Eton [irony emoji needed here], but you do need to know the right people and plan ahead...
    Last edited by herbily; 30-11-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    One day at a time...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 1st Dec 17, 6:40 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,805 Thanks
    kittie
    should i still use the foodbank[/B]?
    by daz378;73486823 going to see big sister inLA in june saving up for most of it, especially as the welfare state is not the safety net it used to be.......Interesting moral question , say the contract finished and i had to sign on but would not be paid for 5 weeks , being a prepper with at least 2 month food , [B
    tbh this turns my stomach, those that give to foodbanks want the food to go to the genuinely needy, not to be abused by those who don`t bother to plan ahead. I have seen obviously poor people putting goods into foodbank collections and I don`t know how you can even contemplate that daz
    Last edited by kittie; 01-12-2017 at 6:44 AM.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 1st Dec 17, 8:28 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 5,190 Thanks
    Cappella
    Im sorry if this post offends anyone, that truly is not my intention.
    I am on a monthly rota and help in our local church run food bank whenever they are short staffed:and despite the media hysteria about benefit scroungers I have to say that 99% of the people driven to seek help from us are genuinely in great need. Ok, they may have made bad decisions in the past which have led them into this - not an argument I want to get into here by the way - but some of their stories are heartbreaking.
    Food banks are for the desperate, they really should not be used by anyone who has resources they can draw on themselves. They are not a right - at least not the sort of ‘right’ I would hope ever to need to use.
    That being said I have been awed by the generosity of those who have very little themselves and yet drop off regular donations. It can be very humbling.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,317 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    daz - I agree you should use your preps in that situation - that is what they are for, emergencies
    • daz378
    • By daz378 2nd Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    daz378
    i said it was an interesting moral question and i would use my preps first , plus i have a good network of family and friends , so i hope i wouldnt need to use one, but i would if i had to
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 2nd Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    singlestep
    It's something you should use if you ever need to, Daz. It's good that you have built up that cushion and it must be reassuring for you that you did.

Not everyone who ends up in the position you anticipate has had the ability or foresight to do that.

We had a food bank drive in the school I work in a while back. I took in what I normally contribute at my local supermarket plus a bit more. Glad I did as quite a few of my pupils were unable to bring in anything and we had to all take our contributions to a central location and at least they had something to take along. One or two had simply forgotten but a couple of them confided in me that they were from families that had to use the food bank.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 2nd Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,602 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    and we had to all take our contributions to a central location and at least they had something to take along.
    Originally posted by singlestep
    HAD to take contributions?

I though charitable giving was supposed to be a voluntary thing?
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 2nd Dec 17, 9:26 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    singlestep
    Exactly what I thought, Bob!

The organiser has an unfortunate way of putting things and so did I perhaps this evening!

I had to go with my stuff when my pupils did and if I had to go we all had to go. If I hadn't taken spares and quietly passed them on for them to 'help carry' as they came in through my door, they'd have gone empty-handed.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 2nd Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 30,822 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I've been trying to buy an extra item every time I have to use the supermarket, and pop it into the food bank box on the way out. Sadly half the time, I forget, as there's nothing to jog my memory until I'm leaving. I'd really like to see some notices as I go around the store, perhaps suggesting, "This item would be a good contribution to the food bank," on particularly relevant items. That'd remind me, and all my friends who are also trying to remember, in all the hurly-burly of everyday life.
    Angie

GC Dec17 £248.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 2nd Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,602 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    When I was at school (way back last century ), we had an annual Harvest Festival collection, but there was no organised visit to a "central location".

There was a trestle table in front of the school hall stage, where people could leave items, at any time over a couple of weeks.

If someone couldn't manage to bring in anything, it didn't matter, because nobody was monitoring who brought in what.

• Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 2nd Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 28,635 Posts
    • 72,958 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I'd really like to see some notices as I go around the store, perhaps suggesting, "This item would be a good contribution to the food bank," on particularly relevant items. That'd remind me, and all my friends who are also trying to remember, in all the hurly-burly of everyday life.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    One local store has a board at their entrance listing the items that are needed most by the foodbank - these can change from week to week - and the collection points are just past the tills. This seems to work well.
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 2nd Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    singlestep
    I often forget too, then end up doing a shop just for the food bank every month or so. Reminders would be great as the drop-off is at the tills not near the entrance.

When I was explaining the food bank drive to the class I ended up taking, I read out a list of suggested items. The organiser had helpfully suggested on the announcement that the food bank has enough baked beans.

One of the kids - who was one of those who confided in me - was quick to point out you'd still eat them if you were hungry and it was something you didn't have to worry about heating. She has been kind enough to relieve me of my lunch at the end of the day recently as there have been days when I've lost my appetite. I'm sure there are many more like her that aren't as frank as she is.

Bob, for various reasons that isn't possible in our building. Contributions resulted in house points - another thing I didn't agree with. While I'm sure they weren't actively being monitored, pupils in my class, from a mixture of houses, were relieved to have something in their hands when we went.
    Last edited by singlestep; 02-12-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 2nd Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 28,635 Posts
    • 72,958 Thanks
    Mojisola
    One of the kids - who was one of those who confided in me - was quick to point out you'd still eat them if you were hungry and it was something you didn't have to worry about heating.
    Originally posted by singlestep
    True - but the people who run foodbanks try to treat their clients with dignity and give them a varied diet.

People often feel awful about having to accept food from the banks as it is.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 2nd Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 51,602 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    True - but the people who run foodbanks try to treat their clients with dignity and give them a varied diet.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Nowt wrong with Beans on Toast.

If I were unemployed, and struggling, I'd eat them all the time.

Fortunately I live alone, so only buggalugs would have to suffer the consequences.

• singlestep
    • By singlestep 2nd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    singlestep
    Nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't expect anybody to live on one kind of canned food. When I think of the surplus food than can get wasted and the people who need nutritious food, I just wish there was a straightforward way of them accessing it.

Pupil is very frank as I said and, from this and various other things that have been said, she clearly thinks my colleague is out of touch with her own reality, to say the least. All my pupils were on board with the concept and saw that at least it was meant well, or so it seemed.

I grew up in not dissimilar circumstances to my pupil but when my own family experienced a drop in income, I was old enough and jobs available enough for me to be able to contribute in part towards any shortfall. It would be much harder now, I think.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I used to forget to buy for the Foodbank-and a friend who works there said she often does too. It's so busy in the supermarket and they keep moving things around or have run out of things.It's so easy to get distracted.

Now I just write Foodbank at the bottom of my shopping list.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 3rd Dec 17, 8:08 AM
    • 14,147 Posts
    • 132,212 Thanks
    mardatha
    Well I think the damn bloody govt should stop secreting away profiits & money offshore and put it back into the country's funds so that we don't need foodbanks! Banana republic! All the supermarkets are doing is applying subtle leverage so that we buy more from them, to feed ourselves and also supply the foodbanks. Why can't the supermarkets themselves donate? Even a tiny percentage of the week's takings would be a huge amount. They are making sure they don't lose out and you are all falling for it!
    And if I'm careful enough, like Daz, to put by a stash for the hard times then I'm going to make sure I replace it. He could have squandered his wages on booze and fags but he didn't, he was careful and out by some food. So he should profit from that without feel ashamed.
    And I know I'm dead ratty but I don't care lol - I need more tea.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter