Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 298
    • Perplexed Pineapple
    • By Perplexed Pineapple 26th Nov 17, 6:28 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 6,301 Thanks
    Perplexed Pineapple
    Evening all. Late thanks to Tori.K for the advice on the rhubarb - finally got it moved this weekend with plenty of manure so will keep fingers crossed for the spring.
    BB, that is one seriously unimpressed cat
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 26th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 9,841 Posts
    • 51,623 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    BB, that is one seriously unimpressed cat
    Originally posted by Perplexed Pineapple
    Sometimes, you have to be cruel to be kind.

Anyway, she didn't scratch my face off overnight, so I think we're good.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • maryb
    • By maryb 27th Nov 17, 9:43 PM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 41,174 Thanks
    maryb
    Originally posted by jk0

I think this feline has been watching and taking notes

">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5122347/Greedy-cat-outsmarts-owner-steal-burger.html
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 28th Nov 17, 10:18 AM
    • 5,006 Posts
    • 52,440 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thanks for the link jk0
    And thanks maryb, just watched yours!

I remember our Siamese hooking a firm paw round my Mum's hand, pulling it towards her and starting to lick the icecream Mum was holding!
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 28-11-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 28th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 14,268 Posts
    • 38,671 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    At the thought of all these cats with an eye for the main chance (ie food)
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Perplexed Pineapple
    • By Perplexed Pineapple 28th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 6,301 Thanks
    Perplexed Pineapple
    This is interesting (but a bit depressing).
    https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2017/11/26/we-are-about-to-see-the-most-daring-raid-on-your-money-in-history-its-time-to-put-the-lunatics-back-in-the-asylum/
    • elona
    • By elona 28th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,797 Thanks
    elona
    I would not call it "a bit" depressing!!! I would call it an avalanche but sadly not a total surprise.

In olden days people had gold or silver coins which were hidden in skirt hems or disguised as jewellery. Now the most we can do is try to avoid debt and not fall into a credit trap.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 28th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 11,441 Posts
    • 219,913 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'd been reading about the plans to reduce the deposit protection scheme and arrange the framework for bail-ins on ZH. It's amazing how such monumental changes slip under the notice of the mainstream media.

The Guardian is too engrossed in looking for the brexit-bashing angle on everything possible (including the weather, if it's a hard winter, it's all your fault it you voted Leave, y'know) and the Daily Fail is too busy fawning on royalty/ promoting Z list celebrities to do anything useful.

I feel a disturbance in The Force and may take myself off to my banking institution tomorrow to remove some bits of fiat plastic with a view to turning them into something useful - corned beef and sardines, prolly.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• elona
    • By elona 28th Nov 17, 9:41 PM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,797 Thanks
    elona
    GQ

There is a book I read ages ago called " Dancing on Vesuvius"
    which talked about financial collapse etc. It led me to paying off a credit card every month in full, only having credit if it was 0%, paying off the mortgage early and saving whatever I could. I think the book was in the eighties but the principles are sound.

I had to battle DH initially as what I was suggesting was against what everyone else was doing. Fortunately he had been a Maths lecturer so when I suggested anything I asked him to look at the maths and then he felt it was his idea.

He eventually got so on board with the idea that he used to ask me
    "Are we economising?" "Er Why?" Reply "Because we are eating better!" I would then admit we had some unexpected bills so I was making home made pizzas. quiches, soups . stuffed mushrooms and wedges etc.

DDs tease me because I have stores but I remember being unable to buy candles, bread, coffee, flour, salt, sugar etc during the seventies and eighties and the power strikes and three day week. Even nowadays stores are useful like when the bridge collapsed and I had no power two years ago or when the water supply was interrupted.
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • elona
    • By elona 28th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,797 Thanks
    elona
    GQ

I cannot stomach sardines any more but things like cans of soup, corned beef, vegetables. luncheon meat are always useful.

A few years ago I froze butter at about 80 pence and DH thought I was potty. A few months later he realised I was not as crazy as he thought as the price had gone up by 50%.

In 1999 he heard Richard Madely talk about his millenium cupboard
    and was determined to do the same - I let him decide what to stock and the year later we ploughed our way through sardines, baked beans and corned beef !!!
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 29th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 5,963 Posts
    • 28,089 Thanks
    pineapple
    GQ
    A few years ago I froze butter at about 80 pence and DH thought I was potty. A few months later he realised I was not as crazy as he thought as the price had gone up by 50%.
    Originally posted by elona
    I keep doing things like that but there is a limit to what you can store in a teeny cottage. On economising generally, I don't know about anyone else but while my income sources have been the same over the past few years and have theoretically gone up with inflation, these days I am barely treading water. Whereas previously I was even able to save.
    I sometimes watch these programmes on TV about cutting your spending but it's depressing. The families featured tend to be 'easy meat' - ie they buy the most expensive branded products and a lot of convenience products. It's a bit like those personal makeover programmes where they take someone in dog eared leggings - give them a decent haircut and new clothes and of courses there's a difference!
    • elona
    • By elona 29th Nov 17, 8:39 AM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,797 Thanks
    elona
    pineapple

I found a site called approved food which has very much reduced food and toiletries. Things are not always out of date, sometimes it is just that the packaging has changed. It has saved me quite a bit over the last few years. I also found a company that sends out meat packages that has very good weekly offers and I have been stocking up the freezer.

In case of bad weather I make sure I have things like tinned soup, tomatoes, beans, pasta and ingredients to make my own bread so I don't have to go out unless I choose.
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 29th Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    • 5,963 Posts
    • 28,089 Thanks
    pineapple
    pineapple

I found a site called approved food which has very much reduced food and toiletries. Things are not always out of date, sometimes it is just that the packaging has changed. It has saved me quite a bit over the last few years. I also found a company that sends out meat packages that has very good weekly offers and I have been stocking up the freezer.

In case of bad weather I make sure I have things like tinned soup, tomatoes, beans, pasta and ingredients to make my own bread so I don't have to go out unless I choose.
    Originally posted by elona
    Thanks I will give those a look. One problem is that I live in an area where we only have a Co-op. Other supermarkets - including the cheapies - involve an hour and a half round trip.
    Re bread I sometimes knock up a sort of flat 'bread' with SR flour, water and maybe a dash of olive oil. It gets cooked in a cast iron pan with a little olive oil and is delicious.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 29th Nov 17, 9:22 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 23,607 Thanks
    jk0
    You know Sod's law will make you unable to eat anything you have stockpiled?

I bought loads of corned beef, beef burgers, & sausages about a month before I was diagnosed with gallstones. Beef & pork are now off the menu, so they have gone in the bin sadly.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 14,268 Posts
    • 38,671 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    T'aint just health considerations that cause that one jko.

There's also the "If you drastically change your way of eating" - but you've stockpiled a lot of food from "Previous way of eating"

I'm still doing a half-and-half way of eating at the moment. Half is the "Now" way and half is the "Use up previous food" way. I've got numerous packets of cheese in the freezer (I don't want to eat any more), still got a bit of "fake meat" (quorn, etc) I don't want to eat any more, quite a bit of oil (ditto).

Frustrating - but I feel I can't afford to just give away/throw away this stuff - so I'm eating it gradually.

If it was a serious health issue reason for changing then I'd just have to "bite the bullet" and give it away and waste the money though....

EDIT; In your case - I know there's all these health and safety regulations (quite rightly obviously) about meat products - but is there a way you could just give them away - like putting them in a busy public place. With a notice by them saying "Help yourself - free food - only taken out of freezer at 10am today (give date)". Some people will be so glad of the food and prepared to evaluate it with their eyes and noses that they might well accept it.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 29-11-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 29th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,441 Posts
    • 219,913 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I guess for those of us who are middle-aged or older, there are personal memories of the fun and games attendant upon crises in everything from energy to certain staple foodstuffs. Our seniors can recall rationing, although the actual ones who were adults in WW2 are passing away.

In the seventies, it was perfectly normal to have powercuts and shortages of certain foodstuffs, and at least one carton on Price's Household Candles and a box of matches wasn't prepping, just basic commonsense. We were also less exposed to the consequences of prolonged loss of supply as freezers were rarer and not everybody had a fridge.

If your budget is tied up in frozen or otherwise perishable stuff, you are at greater economic and practical risk than someone with dried and canned goods.

Folks, I've said it before at this time of year, but the rolands and the mickeys are moving indoors to homes and outbuildings to get away from the weather. Pest controllers are busy busy busy atm. Check your stashes and make sure they've not become bedding or dinner for the little bu88ers.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 14,180 Posts
    • 132,468 Thanks
    mardatha
    Beeglie (cat) has suddenly got very interested in the plinth at the corner of the kitchen under the sink.. must have visitors under there I think. We get some every winter, wee fieldmice and just the odd one or two.
    My emergency plan is porridge - soup - scones. With them three things I can take on armageddon. Oh and tea. Tons of tea.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 29th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 30,844 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    No tablet, Mardatha?
    Angie

GC Dec17 £338.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 29th Nov 17, 8:58 PM
    • 9,841 Posts
    • 51,623 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    In the seventies, it was perfectly normal to have powercuts and shortages of certain foodstuffs, and at least one carton on Price's Household Candles and a box of matches wasn't prepping, just basic commonsense.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I can relate to that.

Mind you, back then, as a young teenager, a power cut was an adventure.

Nowadays, it's just a giant PITA.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • daz378
    • By daz378 29th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    daz378
    hello still bobbing my head in now and again , still prepping and working but only 2 and half years of care contract left, might be renewed but on lesser terms so im prepping for something that may happen i have very little debt and trying to keep it low.....even though going to see big sister inLA in june saving up for most of it, especially as the welfare state is not the safety net it used to be.......Interesting moral question , say the contract finished and i had to sign on but would not be paid for 5 weeks , being a prepper with at least 2 month food , should i still use the foodbank?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,793Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter