Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 272
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 7th Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 22,410 Thanks
    calicocat
    How would you cat owners feed your cats in a prolonged emergency situation after the cat food ran out? Would the average cat these days fare better by catching mice, birds etc. than the average dog under those conditions? I know dogs are omnivores and 'could' exist on human leftovers etc. perfectly well but cats being 'carnivores' have to have meat don't they?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    To be honest mine could well simply die. She won’t eat most human food, she has never caught a thing to eat in her life , couldn’t catch a butterfly the other day ( not that I wanted her to, but I wasn’t worried for it in the slightest).

Getting her to eat anything now is a feat in itself......so I fear she would waste away. I have tubes of vitamin supplements that I hide in liquid treats...but as you say, when all that ran out, I wouldn’t hold out much hope for her.

You never no though, being really hungry may mean she would start eating other things.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 9,835 Posts
    • 51,609 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    How would you cat owners feed your cats in a prolonged emergency situation after the cat food ran out?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Buggalugs would feed herself.

I know dogs are omnivores and 'could' exist on human leftovers etc. perfectly well but cats being 'carnivores' have to have meat don't they?
    Cats don't have to eat nothing but meat.

In addition to meat, Buggalugs eats chips, pasta, sponge pudding and even Quorn.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,020 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Good on Buggalugs, she's awesome!!! what a feline!!!

OK what about dogs and other domestic animals? If food was in short supply for yourselves and families would the luxury of having purely a 'pet' be enough to make it worth while sharing what little foodstuffs you DO have or would the 'pet' have to have some tangible use like the cats keeping down vermin, dogs being 'on guard' and a deterrent to potential wrongdoers or chickens to give eggs. In some cases like keeping rabbits/guinea pigs for the pot it would be possible to find enough 'wild' food to keep them fed and healthy but for most they would need 'human' input. I ask as I read an article about WW2 where many folks seeing it was going to happen had pets put down because it was known there would be food shortages and difficulties in keeping pets fed too.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 07-10-2017 at 5:25 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,622 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Keep a purposeless animal for entertainment and emotional satisfaction is a luxurious habit which would not last in a real crisis.

What happens with dogs in a reeling economy is that they are abandoned by their owners. When things get really bad, the packsof stray dogs disappear into stewpots. Likewise other animals; only the other week someone was telling me about a thoroughbred racehorse stallion (not in this country) which was killed and turned into human foodstuffs.

Cats are pretty adept at fending for themselves and every one I've ever known has been an adept hunter and a pretty good sneak-thief. Cats also have to be domesticated at each and every generation and kittens who aren't handled will soon become feral cats. I know of a colony of them which has been in existance for several years and they seem in pretty good shape, doing their own thing down by the river.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• jk0
    • By jk0 7th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    Anyone hear the story about the starving family in Russia who were so hungry they had to eat their dog? The small boy found some bones on his plate, and said, 'What a shame. Rover would have liked these.'
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 41,061 Thanks
    maryb
    During WW2 some food was available for pets from meat that was not fit for human consumption but there wasn't much of it. Of course, although there were shortages of just about everything, most of civil society carried on functioning amazingly well even in blitzed cities. It couldn't have been done otherwise.

You're right Mrs L, a lot of people did have their pets put down when war was declared because they were expecting so many casualties from bombing. It was a plot element in a Nevil Shute novel as I remember, about a research scientist who had his beloved dog put down in September 1939 and then of course the Phoney War followed and that made him very bitter because he could have kept his dog especially as he was billeted in the country
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 9,835 Posts
    • 51,609 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Anyone hear the story about the starving family in Russia who were so hungry they had to eat their dog?
    Originally posted by jk0
    Wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

If things get really bad, all pets, be they dogs, cats, and even goldfish, should be considered meals.

The only exception would be a hound, that is an exceptional hunter/retriever.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 14,223 Posts
    • 38,532 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

If things get really bad, all pets, be they dogs, cats, and even goldfish, should be considered meals.

The only exception would be a hound, that is an exceptional hunter/retriever.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob

The screech you just heard was Buggalugs beating a hasty retreat and deciding to re-home herself just in case you meant it......
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 7th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 3,383 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Interesting discussion on feeding/keeping pets in a crisis economy situation. Some pets become valuable members of the household making their survival important to their humans.

Dogs will eat leftovers, and you can supplement these by cooking up (scrubbed clean) vegetable peelings, and adding lots of gravy. Eggs are a good protein addition.

Hungry cats will eat porridge or pobs (bread and milk to southerners) eggs again useful for added protein.

But farm cats, and dogs, are traditionally kept a bit hungry to encourage mouse and rat reduction. And to prevent the dogs from getting too fat and lazy to discourage the foxes from your hencoop, or other two legged scavengers...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 7th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    BRAND NEW B&W | Spider Cat - Simon's Cat (Halloween Special)
    As we've just been talking about cats & spiders, the latest Simon's Cat episode seems very topical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruTB5jBGXsE
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 7th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 3,383 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Simon's cat - lovely! Spiders We recently invested in a sonic device which discourages spiders from inhabiting an area, in our case the loft. It is also supposed to work for mice, and bats (which we don't have indoors, but there are some around the garden).

There do seem to be less spiders around. We've never had mice upstairs, but in the kitchen and shed, we set traps, and the terrier is very efficient at sniffing things out. I would consider getting a cat, but OH doesn't like them and can't help teasing them. I think cats need to be Boss, in their own opinion at least, which leads to a Power Struggle, not conducive to peace in the home.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 14,163 Posts
    • 132,304 Thanks
    mardatha
    In days when lawn order was non-existent, dogs were needed to warn of anybody approaching or hiding, and for protection against attack. Cats were needed to keep down rodents. So they weren't just pets, they were necessary - and in times of trouble they will be again.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 7th Oct 17, 10:11 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 30,825 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Both sets of my grandparents kept their chickens right through the war; swapping their egg ration for grain, and had far more eggs than most people as a result, even in winter as they kept surplus eggs in isinglass. Also their cats, who kept the vermin out of the poultry feed & the pantry. One also raised a pig every year, for meat. Definitely not just pets!

If push came to shove, I'd keep my birds & cats, because they have functions beyond being fluffy & cuddly. Not just eggs, either; well-rotted poultry manure is rocket food for plants, and they're death on legs to slugs. Two of our cats are excellent mousers, and oddly enough the chickens, even the bantams, will catch & eat mice too. The third cat is 20 and has earned her retirement - she doesn't eat a lot now anyway - except pancakes.

I'm currently reviewing stocks & eating things up. Fewer inhabitants mean I don't need to maintain such vast stocks, and half of the current inhabitants are veggie/pescatarian, so my 20-odd tins of corned beef seem a bit excessive now!
    Angie

GC Dec17 £248.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 9,835 Posts
    • 51,609 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I'd keep my birds & cats, because they have functions beyond being fluffy & cuddly. Not just eggs, either
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Cats don't lay eggs.

• jk0
    • By jk0 7th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    Cats don't lay eggs.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Hmm. The ones next door to me do. On my lawn unfortunately.
    • frosty
    • By frosty 8th Oct 17, 7:18 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    frosty
    We have three dogs and consider them to be family members,we feed them wainrights dog food which comes in 15kg bags and lasts 3 dogs for a couple of months,I always have at least 4 bags in the house,at the first sign of trouble I would stock up and ration it to make it last as long as possible,and add leftovers ect.The dogs are good guard dogs and would warn us of intruders.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,622 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    My 'hood is flooding; think it might be the 5 inch main gone again * but the water's too deep to get close enough to see. Water board are on it but not on site yet. Family are incoming in 30 mins ........

One time they arrived in identical circs, it was the water tank upstairs which was leaking down into my flat.

* It ruptures every 3-5 years.

ETA; water pressure is going down....... thankfully have stored water but am quickly goning to wash self and dishes in case it goes off altogether, nearby streets are now rivers. Well, fast-flowing broad streams. From kerb to kerb.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 08-10-2017 at 8:21 AM. Reason: to add a bit
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 8th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 30,825 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oh no, GQ; here's hoping they get that sorted ASAP!
    Angie

GC Dec17 £248.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,622 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Me, too.

SG called me just after 8 am, said had I seen it? Got flipflops and dressing gown on and went to have a look and it's major. Rang it thru to water board and they'd had the first report at 7.45 am and had already escalated it twice, it's a baddie. Have just filled another water bottle and will get myself sorted then the dishes.

Folks are now only 15 mins away and will be getting wet tyres on their way into our carpark. At least I know we have water for drinks and hygiene during their visit.

Excitements like this I could do without!

ETA; SG just rang again from The Far Side (of the block). They've got a BT engineer over there looking worried; the water has got down into the telecoms hatches in the road. I think this is fast developing into An Interesting Day. Folks are minutes away....
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 08-10-2017 at 8:43 AM.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,020 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Perhaps we'd have to make concessions and the decision that 'pets' give more to us than they take in terms of the love and pleasure they bring to our lives and it might be possible to make a pet' into a useful contributor in life if they could earn their keep by vermin control or guard duty. Horses/donkeys/mules/oxen etc. would be not just useful but necessary as they have been in the past for transport/haulage/agriculture and goats, sheep, pigs, cows, poultry etc. would really be necessities not just to provide us with food but wool, feathers, milk, eggs etc. I just wondered if we could make the so difficult choice if the decision was feed us or go hungry by feeding them?
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

2,237Users online

Martin's Twitter