Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 271
    • AnimalTribe
    • By AnimalTribe 5th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    AnimalTribe
    Compromised card
    Here's an odd one...

I asked customer services, and they tell me that my number is on a list they received of numbers that have been compromised. I'm not sure where they would have got a list like that from. Anyone know?
    Originally posted by jk0
    jkO - I don't know for sure, but perhaps some supplier you paid by card, has had their records compromised and has informed the card company. You could always call customer services again and ask them to clarify (although they might not be willing to do so, or the help desk may simply not have been given the details of the incident).

Re spiders - I admire them, but they scare me. I have an excellent spider catcher - my husband. Although, I used to have a better one, a cat, who used to chase them and then eat them.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 5th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3,857 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    culpepper
    Regarding spiders..I see them as fishers of the air. Their prey isn't us after all, it is flies and I know which creatures I would rather have in the house.

Here's an odd one...

Twice this year now, I have been contacted by Barclaycard wanting to replace my card with another with a different number. This has happened before when someone in India has got wind of the details and gone on a spending spree, but this year there have been no unauthorised transactions.

I asked customer services, and they tell me that my number is on a list they received of numbers that have been compromised. I'm not sure where they would have got a list like that from. Anyone know?
    Originally posted by jk0
    If you use an ATM, they can sometimes have scanners on them put there by thieves but discovered before they can retrieve them (OH had that happen on his card). Then the bank will change your card.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 5th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 23,092 Thanks
    jk0
    Thanks guys. Interesting.

BTW, you'll be pleased to hear I finally have my £7k back from the firm in Ireland. (Required me to ring them about half a dozen times this week though.) This is the second time that particular bank have messed me about over the return of an investment, so I won't be using them again. Scroll back to top of page 268 to see who I'm talking about.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 54,996 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    The drinks are on you, then, jko!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4,862 Posts
    • 50,933 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    So glad to hear you finally got your money jk0!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 27,857 Posts
    • 152,711 Thanks
    Karmacat
    jk0, that's brilliant news.

Prepping. I used to do that once, before I started cleaning the nooks and crannies of this house
    Retired August 2016
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 6th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 22,198 Thanks
    calicocat
    No picture, because it was taken in the pitch dark, but this is Buggalugs snoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr6sSIEtGlA&feature=youtu.be
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob

Seriously is that your cat.......

If he had a cold on top he could give the bf a run for his money. Also why the bf is part time allowed here.

Just bought mine a cat bed .....so not interested in it one bit. Thought if she had a small cave thing with lovely snuggly sides it would keep her warm when the heating isnít on seeing as she is an old girl now,and a memory foam cushion ...........looks like an utter waste of money so far, even when itís next to the rad when itís on. . Another thing for cats protection league by xmas .
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • missusP
    • By missusP 6th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    missusP
    Lurker and prepper here, as you can see I don't post much but I do read...Calicocat, hang on to the cat bed till past winter. I did exactly the same for my cat, she's getting older and we don't use heating so we got her a snuggly cat thing. She didn't touch it for months until January when she decided it was time to use it at least every night. By mid march she ignored it again. I put it away 8 months of the year and bring it out in winter. She likes it placed up on the sofa so she has some height. Give it a bit longer and you might find yours suddenly takes a liking to it.
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 6th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 22,198 Thanks
    calicocat
    Lurker and prepper here, as you can see I don't post much but I do read...Calicocat, hang on to the cat bed till past winter. I did exactly the same for my cat, she's getting older and we don't use heating so we got her a snuggly cat thing. She didn't touch it for months until January when she decided it was time to use it at least every night. By mid march she ignored it again. I put it away 8 months of the year and bring it out in winter. She likes it placed up on the sofa so she has some height. Give it a bit longer and you might find yours suddenly takes a liking to it.
    Originally posted by missusP
    Will do.

It’s on a sofa in ‘her’ room (no, I mean one of mine) by the radiator which I have switched on . She’s a mystery that’s for sure. She has a history of not liking new things, hisses at any new boots I buy...just boots...not bothered by clothes in general.

I shall hang on in there with it and see what she does. Last year she had an old down ski jacket I can’t fit into anymore,she loved that. I wanted to get something I can put a pillow cover on the cushion to wash as she has the odd accident now bless her and I thought getting her something with a bit of a side would keep the heat in for her a bit.

I will leave it there and see what transpires.

Update on prepping for the cat pending..........
    Last edited by calicocat; 06-10-2017 at 7:07 PM.
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 6th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 22,198 Thanks
    calicocat
    Seeing as I am actually here and not just lurking I will Update on the real prepping.

Over the weekend I plan to go into the secret space behind the dining room cupboards to check on the stocks. This has been there for two years now, and to be honest iím not entirely sure what is there now. Pasta, rice, tinned stuff, probably lots of herbs , salt, sugar and pepper , probably different vinegars and oils.

I am guessing these will need using and replacing even though they had good dates when out there. It isnít going to be easy as will have to empty some cupboards to move them to be able to get in, and the entrance is tiny, so will have to squeeze my aris into it even with some furniture removal . I already have a pasta and rice mountain upstairs , but feel a rotation of stock is needed.

And there will be spiders. Spiders when I have no room to escape as will be jammed into crawl space to get in and out.
    The mantra will be......if they move away we are fine as I donít mind them existing in my space if they move away... if they sit and stare at me, it is the one with the biggest shoe that will win.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11,280 Posts
    • 217,186 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Talk of cat beds reminds me of one of the parental cats. We took her on as a stray in the autumn of her years. She was an animal with a noted fixation for small bags and boxes so we thought that one of those furry domed cat nest beds would be her thang.

One was duly sourced at the bootsale (£1) laundered and then presented to Modom. Without one second's hesitation/ sniffing etc, she went straight into it, curled up and went to sleep. And that, apart from breaks for feeding and using the garden, was all we saw of her for the next week.

Then, pfftt! No more interest in the pet bed. We waited a while but nada. So we laundered it, took it as part of the next carload to a bootsale and sold it - for a quid.

Cats; straaange and mysterious creatures.

The current incumbents of the parental home (Wild Thing and The Queen of Sheba) are following their various natures. The Queen is mostly ensconced on a bed, ringing the changes with a lap. Not planning on sitting down? Noooo problem, this one will just follow you around and whinge at you with her horrible miaow until you give in.

Wild Thing? We saw her indoors before Easter. She'll probably be in by Christmas. Other than that, she gets fed several times a day on the back step and spends happy hours staring under the workshop shed hoping a mouse will get a deathwish and come out and make her day.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 37,771 Thanks
    monnagran
    I had one cat who would only sleep in the fruit basket in the middle of the kitchen table. I have photos of him draped artistically over oranges, apples and bananas.

Eventually I gave up and removed the fruit. We no longer had a basket of fruit decorating the centre of the table. Instead we had a basket of ginger cat.
    It was a talking point.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 6th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 51,030 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob

Seriously is that your cat.......
    Originally posted by calicocat
    That's her, honestly.

Just bought mine a cat bed .....so not interested in it one bit.
    Same here.

A towel, T-Shirt or coat (or even a newspaper), left on the bed, and Buggalugs will sleep on it, but something purpose built for animals to lie on, not a chance.

A few years, ago, I bought her one of these, but even in the middle of winter, she wouldn't use it.

My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 11,203 Posts
    • 59,423 Thanks
    elona
    BB

I bought one of these for my dd's cat as she would sleep on the sill above a radiator which did not look comfy but she would have nothing to do with it. The only time she used it was when it was placed on top of a bed and then she curled up happily.

When DD and her husband stayed over and the cat was with them my dd said the cat would sleep inside a bed but only a made bed. I thought she was joking as the cat ignored the bed I was about to make up, went to another bedroom and stayed there. A while later I went to flap and straighten the duvet and found a very indignant cat
    who gave me such a dirty look.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 37,154 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thinking from a cats pov - and I can see the attraction of being right next to a nice warm radiator - but I would feel very "uncertain" about having to leap up from the floor to get into it in the first place and not too happy about having to get back out of it again either. Those things look a bit precarious to me.

Now if some nice kind human put a chair there right beside it that I could leap onto and then get over into it from the chair and then the same in reverse I might deign to let my human get me to use it

This from watching a friend of mine put out a saucer of milk on a windowsill for their cat to drink from and the cat sat there looking up at it longingly. Cue for my friend to haul over a dining chair for the cat to first leap onto that and then leap onto the windowsill. The cat promptly did so at that point and got her milk to drink.
    #MeToo
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 7th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3,857 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    culpepper
    Cats are like little bolshy people. Ours wouldn't touch his water bowl but would drink from any puddle . The veg rack bed we rather naively made him when a kitten was soon nabbed by DD as her dolls cradle as puss never used it,preferring to sit slap bang in the middle of the dogs bed . Woof was far too scared of him to make him get out again.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 51,030 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Now if some nice kind human put a chair there right beside it that I could leap onto and then get over into it from the chair and then the same in reverse I might deign to let my human get me to use it
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    The radiator where I put the bed, is only about 20" from the bed she sleeps on, and from which she jumps up onto the window ledge, so jumping into the cat bed wouldn't be difficult.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • missusP
    • By missusP 7th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    missusP
    I find my cat also likes it if I switch the cushion in the cat igloo for my blanket (she thinks this blanket is hers). My cat has gotten to the point in life where she wants to drink warm water or drink it from the bathroom tap which I have been refusing to do for 2 years.

Prepping for a cat is also a pain as she switches which dry cat food she eats at a moments notice. I have a stash of wet pouches but I have to hope that if it was ever needed, she will just be hungry enough to eat whatever is provided.

Seeing as I'm here with likeminded people, I have two questions for you all. I have a camping gas cooker but am wondering if this is the best choice. After the earthquake in Mexico, the gas pipes were suspected to have leaked so a gas cooker would be pointless in a situation like that.(The building I'm in doesn't have gas so in a power cut its all ok but of course I like to think of the just in case scenario....) What do most of you have as a back up source of heat?

Also if any of you have 'go bags', what sort of ready to eat food have you packed? I'm veggie so I have crackers, peanut butter, coconut oil, Both in sachets, biscuits, some little tins of sweetcorn... Just looking for some inspiration as I'll need to rotate everything soon.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 11,032 Posts
    • 152,448 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    How would you cat owners feed your cats in a prolonged emergency situation after the cat food ran out? Would the average cat these days fare better by catching mice, birds etc. than the average dog under those conditions? I know dogs are omnivores and 'could' exist on human leftovers etc. perfectly well but cats being 'carnivores' have to have meat don't they?
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 7th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 10,238 Thanks
    NewShadow
    Seeing as I'm here with likeminded people, I have two questions for you all. I have a camping gas cooker but am wondering if this is the best choice. After the earthquake in Mexico, the gas pipes were suspected to have leaked so a gas cooker would be pointless in a situation like that.(The building I'm in doesn't have gas so in a power cut its all ok but of course I like to think of the just in case scenario....) What do most of you have as a back up source of heat?
    Originally posted by missusP
    May I check why a camping gas cooker would be useless if/when the gas pipes were damaged? I ask because I'm assuming - if there were a gas leak - you would vacate the premises and take the gas cooker with you and - another assumption - camping cookers have their own portable fuel source - cans or bottles, not connected to the main gas lines.

Purely for heat - bugging in I have a kelly kettle, 300 tea lights, winter weight feather and wool duvets, and multiple hot water bottles.

Bugging out - the kelly kettle, a dozen pairs of chemical heat packs (roughly 200 hours of heat that's adequate in a pocket or in a sleeping bag), a mummy style sleeping bag that's big enough for me fully dressed, and a firekit with flint and steel.

Also if any of you have 'go bags', what sort of ready to eat food have you packed? I'm veggie so I have crackers, peanut butter, coconut oil, Both in sachets, biscuits, some little tins of sweetcorn... Just looking for some inspiration as I'll need to rotate everything soon.
    Non-Vegi - Jerky/fruit leather, canned cheese, instant mash, instant custard, a couple of 'mugshots', oat biscuits, shortbread, a pack of tablet, mint imperials, powdered milk, tea, coffee, sugar

Amounts are based around me having enough for 24 hours if I can't heat water and around 72 hours if I can.
    Last edited by NewShadow; 07-10-2017 at 3:23 PM.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin