Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 270
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 3rd Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 9,353 Posts
    • 54,904 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    That's true, credit card companies are not interested in customers who pay all their statements in full every month, they like the ones who only pay the minimum payment because they will have them by the short and curlies for years and years.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

October NSDs 10 of 20
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 37,089 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That's true, credit card companies are not interested in customers who pay all their statements in full every month, they like the ones who only pay the minimum payment because they will have them by the short and curlies for years and years.
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    But they need a certain size of customer base in order to be viable basically I would imagine and if we all think "Blow 'em - I aint paying for other people" and leave them en masse that could reduce their size noticeably.

Personally - I gave up flying deliberately some years back for a variety of reasons (personal and environmental) - but it's been clear in recent months that some airlines are about to "go down" and no longer be viable and it was a matter of "when" and not "if". If a non-flyer can watch the "signs and portents" - then I'm surprised that flyers aren't also watching them (if for a very different reason to a non-flyers ones) I must admit.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 03-10-2017 at 4:33 PM.
    #MeToo
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 3rd Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 9,353 Posts
    • 54,904 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Prepping-wise, I had my flu jab at work yesterday, this year it covers swine flu and the nasty Australian version as well as the usual villains. On the grapevine I heard from a friend of a friend that if it hits us here as bad as it has in Oz then we are snookered.

So, that little stash of elderberries I pulled from the freezer today and turned into two and a half litres of syrup will come in very handy, I suspect. We have been having elderberry syrup every morning for the past 3 weeks or so, much to the chagrin of OH and DS. Some men really don't know what's good for them!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

October NSDs 10 of 20
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 9,708 Posts
    • 50,998 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Buggalugs snoring.
    No picture, because it was taken in the pitch dark, but this is Buggalugs snoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr6sSIEtGlA&feature=youtu.be
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 5,818 Posts
    • 88,267 Thanks
    fuddle
    I did read about the problems Australia had through their winter Nargle. I'm already goosed this season so I'm scarfing my face and making no bones about obsessing over hand gelling right down to pressing the pedestrian button on the traffic lights. My girls dont know what is about to hit them each and every time they walk through the door!

I'm loving my hot elderflower nargle, its yummy!

Maybe, Money, that the customer base appreciate having the protection in place for their own purchases and look beyond 'paying for other people'. Who pays for the top that is taken back to the store that fell apart after 4 days? The consumer gets a refund because it's lawful to do so. Who takes the hit financially? The company? The suppliers? The manufacturers? It all has a knock on effect in terms of their margins, their costs and ultimately, I think, the end price to the consumer.

We, as consumers, decide whether we want to play that kind of game or not but consumer law protects the consumer from the bigwigs. Personally, I see consumer law as a positive in our society and can look beyond it as 'paying for other people' if it is something I choose to be a part of.
    Good enough, is good enough.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 3rd Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 23,081 Thanks
    jk0
    I wouldn't worry about credit card companies having to bear the losses when an airline folds folks. They'll just take the money back from the airline's bank account (or increase the overdraft) so the shareholders get less back in due course.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 37,089 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    No picture, because it was taken in the pitch dark, but this is Buggalugs snoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr6sSIEtGlA&feature=youtu.be
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I could hear ya' giggling in the background BB

I must admit I laugh sometimes at what cats I know get up to.

Must be an easy life for some of them I think - programme for the day = have a good wash/have a good scratch/have a good look-around/have a little stroll and then rinse and repeat
    #MeToo
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 9,708 Posts
    • 50,998 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Found a visitor in my bath yesterday.

Pound coin included, for size comparison.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 9,708 Posts
    • 50,998 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Must be an easy life for some of them I think - programme for the day = have a good wash/have a good scratch/have a good look-around/have a little stroll and then rinse and repeat
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    You missed out "have a good feed".

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 152,163 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Cracking good spider BB, the paper was saying there will be 150,000,000 of them coming to visit a home near you (and yours) this autumn as it's been a very good summer for spiderkind and it's their breeding season now so they will be apparent in a way they weren't earlier in the year. They can grow to 7.5 cm can 'house spiders', I have a patent spider/wasp remover permanently on the window sill in the lounge (jar without a lid and a stiff envelope) and just pop the jar over the top and slide the envelope under before turning the whole caboodle upside down and chucking the 'beastie' out into the garden. I love the big 'harvest spiders' that are brown and white and sit in the middle of beautiful webs in the gardens at this time of year, in the eye of the beholder perhaps but I think they're wonderful!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 11,270 Posts
    • 217,023 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I love those harvest spiders, too, and was sorry to have to disturb one's web recently as I was treating the allotment shed and had to clear out the brambles which had grown over from another plot to touch the shed; the web was in there.

I rarely get big spiders in my groundfloor flat in the urban jungle and I think this is because I have a permanant cohort of those spindly ones which are apparently cannibals of other spider species. I do the glass-and-paper capture technique and throw them outside if I do see the monsters as they startle me and I figure I'm saving them from a grisly death at the hands of the spindlies.

Preps-wise, this coming weekend I will have the family over and will be harvesting the squash, which are pumpkins and butternuts, mainly. I've been reading blogs and there seem to be as much (sometimes) contradictory advice on harvesting and storage as there are people giving it.

General takeaways are to leave at least 4 inches stem when you cut the pumpkin off the vine. OK, but my pumpkins haven't got that much stem, I shall have to do my best. One should also check for any damaged ones and eat them first. Some authorities say wash the squash in very dilute bleachy water (to kill micro-organisms on the rind) and some say not. All recommend store in a cool dark place, some say on cardboard over shelving, some say hung up in nets, all agree don't leave sitting on cement floors..........

I have limited options; they're going on a high shelf in the bike shed, once I've lined it with clean cardboard. They'll be cool, dark(ish), out of the way and yet easily accessible for checking and using.

And, if my neighbours see me putting them in there, it'll just confirm their suspicions; that the wumman at No ---- is a trifle odd.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 152,163 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We had a total failure with Butternut this year and got NONE! however the pumpkins more than made up for it and gave us 9 beauties of varying size. One, the tiniest, has gone next door for Henry who is 18 months and they will make him a wee little lantern on Halloween night, DD1 has taken one and made pumpkin pie, soup and puree for the freezer. DD2 is taking 2 more , one to eat and one for the Grandpickles at Halloween and that leaves us 5. I shall use the biggest for Halloween myself, so little to do for the youngsters in this village I love to give them at least one evening of fun in a year and the others will be souped and risotto'd with sage from the garden to feed us for the next few months. Long term keeping isn't a problem!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 4th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 9,708 Posts
    • 50,998 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    and just pop the jar over the top and slide the envelope under before turning the whole caboodle upside down and chucking the 'beastie' out into the garden.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I don't turf the spiders out.

I just put them on the floor, in front of my computer desk, and they take up residence under it.

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 14,033 Posts
    • 130,730 Thanks
    mardatha
    Oh my god I wish I hadn't read the post re Piders. I hate the bloody things!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 4th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 50,771 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    There was a big one on the wall of our hall this morning
    • maryb
    • By maryb 4th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 40,287 Thanks
    maryb
    Does anyone know if the tip about conkers repelling spiders actually works? Because our conservatory looks like Miss Haversham's room at the moment. You would not believe how large a web our resident spiddies can weave overnight
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 4th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 27,910 Thanks
    pineapple
    Even thinking about spiders has cold shivers running up and down my spine. I slept on the floor downstairs once when the dog was ill and woke up with a lump on my face. At first I thought it was a boil but it could well have been a spider bite. I get some huge beasts in my cottage especially this type of year. I have a spider catcher which sucks them up at a safe distance and which allows you to deposit them outside - supposedly unharmed. But also I put sticky Rentokil traps down - sorry.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 4th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 9,708 Posts
    • 50,998 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Even thinking about spiders has cold shivers running up and down my spine.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I love spiders. They're awesome creatures.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 7,056 Posts
    • 19,095 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm off on a very special weekend. My family regard a godfather as a treat as he's an excellent cook & likes long country walks & can drive, so they chaps tootle off for Ages while I sit with his aged mother.

Who is sharp as a tack, & hasn't got the internet so finds me & my phone one step this side of witchcraft. However as someone who takes her seriously when she wants to know exactly what percentage she can get on her ISA (she lives on the interest) she has a special affection for me.
    So us gels have a fine time without the chaps & this weekend, I'm having a jam mistress-class. She provides the brains, I provide the brawn, the jam jars & the sugar. Each of us reckons we're getting a sweet deal & the lads are suggesting we swing by their farm shop to stock up on extra strawberries (no prizes for guessing their Favourite Jam!).

The poor godfather will be hauled through every charity shop in town (he never used to go in, with my lot hauling him, he's learning & has extended his library a bit!) before they rampage through unsuspecting countryside. He opines it's like having a dog again, but three of them, & no leash. (With his cooking, he doesn't need one - they keep him in view!) I'll not vouch for what state the kitchen will be in on his eventual return, but I think we'll be chinking merrily homewards unless I stock up on the Metro papers...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 23,081 Thanks
    jk0
    Credit card keeps being replaced
    Here's an odd one...

Twice this year now, I have been contacted by Barclaycard wanting to replace my card with another with a different number. This has happened before when someone in India has got wind of the details and gone on a spending spree, but this year there have been no unauthorised transactions.

I asked customer services, and they tell me that my number is on a list they received of numbers that have been compromised. I'm not sure where they would have got a list like that from. Anyone know?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter