Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 269
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 2nd Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,188 Thanks
    NewShadow
    People panicking on a train 'self-evacuated' when a passenger started reading aloud from a bible.

It's been a while since we had a hypothetical scenario:

You're on a train, someone starts reading aloud from a religious text and - when asked to stop - stands quietly with his head down.

What would you do?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41466140

It happened outside Wimbledon station in south-west London at 08:30 BST as a man apparently began reading lines aloud from the Bible.

Commuters became scared when the man began quoting phrases such as, "death is not the end", a passenger said.

He said someone then asked the man to stop speaking "as he was scaring people" and "the guy stopped and stood there with his head down".
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    The train scenario?

I'd just think "It's the Bible ...yep....this is a (nominally) Christian country. So what?"

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest. There are books I could overhear someone reading from (carefully censored - with this being 2017....) that I might react to - but (with this being the Bible) I'd just think "He's a bit odd. Oh well....not a problem" and just carry on with my own life and not bat an eyelid.
    #MeToo
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 11,020 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    There's no doubt we live in perilous times. What has changed lately is that there is no way of predicting where or when the next 'small scale' attack will come, we all need to be vigilant wherever we are, take as few chances as life allows and try to keep ourselves out of harms way. I've been shot down in flames here before for saying I always look for a way out of wherever I happen to be but I do! What scares me most is the 'out of the blue sudden' nature of the latest wave of terror attacks, walking along a street minding your own business and 'bam' you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and someone is there with a knife! or someone just drives the car into a crowd or along a pavement knocking down as many innocent folk as they can. I don't think there IS a way of staying totally safe but I am a great advocate of NOT taking chances unnecessarily and always finding a way out of the building, area if you happen to be outside and trying to get away from trouble if it comes to find an area near you!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 2nd Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 51,000 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    The heavens have just opened.

It's lashing it down here.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • jk0
    • By jk0 2nd Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 23,084 Thanks
    jk0
    Google just freaked me out...

Today I went into Wickes to buy some plasterboard to fill an old heating duct hole in the flat I'm working on. I paid for it with my bPay keyring tag.

Guess what video just came up in the Youtube suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uFK8OGV2UM
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 2nd Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 14,036 Posts
    • 130,762 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've always checked the way out before I go into buildings - I used to think it was because I was claustrophobic, now I know it's because I'm smart!
    If anybody comes anywhere near me with a bible then I am off out of there.. I don't need religious nutters.
    • daz378
    • By daz378 2nd Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,294 Thanks
    daz378
    i think these days you have to actively remind your self to be aware....re catalan .i would have regional strikes until they came to the table....hit them where it hurts in the wallet................Received an email from my HA...saying sign up for local account from email .... clicked on link from email..... i know risky but they had all my details....but held off from paying rent .... couldnt do it instinct..... it seems legit but i will phone them in the morning to double check.....still online shopping the preppers friend....my tinned veg and tinned meat stores are climbing nicely....you all take care
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 11,274 Posts
    • 217,095 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Morning all.

Thought for the day; what would you do if you were a M0narch holidaymaker stranded overseas right now?

I was looking at a map purporting to show, by the thousands, where the stranded holidaymakers actually are; majority seem to be in Spain, about as third as many in Portugal, just under 4,000 in Italy and sub-2000 in various other countries mostly around the Med. Oh, and 605 in Sweden.

We taxpayers are on the hook for 60 million of repatriation costs, apparently. Now, I'm glad that people are going to be coming home but imagine if HM Government couldn't or wouldn't bankroll this.

Could you, if stranded on holiday, fund a separate flight back home? Could you, if your hotel/ apartment owner threw you out of your inclusive accomodations because a bankrupt company hadn't paid them, fund extra accomodation/ meals etc? Or would you be sleeping in the underpass or on the beach?

Do you carry cash on holiday? Do you have easy access to a substantial line of credit? Do you know the availability and price of inpromtu flights back home from your holiday destination? Do you know the availability of non-flying options, such as a combination of ferries, trains, coaches?

Incidentally, it is apparently a 6 week hike from the shores of the Med to the Channel, although crossing the Alps can be a bit of b*gger.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 03-10-2017 at 7:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Are we paying to bring home stranded Monarch passengers?

I thought the airlines themselves had to pay for that - ie by all contributing to some fund that would cover the cost of bringing people home if one of them went bust. So I'm presuming we (via the Government) pay up at the outset - but the money gets refunded from a communal fund the airlines themselves have??

Otherwise we would be into those who don't use airlines anyway having money taken out of our taxes to pay for those that do use airlines.
    #MeToo
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 68,964 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Incidentally, it is apparently a 6 week hike from the shores of the Med to the Channel, although crossing the Alps can be a bit of b*gger.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    And then there's a hell of a swim

A credit card will get most people out of trouble. I know not everyone has them, but i wouldn't go abroad without. THere's also trains from most european places - though the costs would rack up. Hire a car? with one way hire? In laws did that when they trashed car and caravan on a french motorway. We went out to help them bring some stuff back after they'd picked it up off the road ("International Rescue" Never seen anyone so pleased to see us).

I usually say it's the airlines responsibility to get you back, but if there is no airline, then I guess travel insurance.... But you probably need to be able to pay it first.

Re: the bible basher on the train. it would depend on all the circumstances - his demeanour (you can usually tell a nutter); was he unkempt or ill-dressed; where i was and where i was going; yes, and i am sorry to say that ethnicity would come into it. A scruffy white bloke would not cause the alarm a nervous young asian lad would...

Editing to add: I am not racist AT ALL, as a university lecturer in the middle of a big city, I have taught people of all kinds. Mostly male and a lot were Asian. Some were a pain, most were not, a lot were very funny. But in the scenario described it would be a factor whether i politely ignored, moved slowly away or got the hell out of it.
    Last edited by VJsmum; 03-10-2017 at 8:13 AM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Quick google later - and the scheme I'm thinking of re airline passengers that get stranded does exist. It's the ATOL protection scheme - and so I'm guessing the vast majority of stranded passengers have this cover (hence puzzlement at our government apparently paying up).
    #MeToo
    • jk0
    • By jk0 3rd Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 23,084 Thanks
    jk0
    Seems the height of irresponsibility to me to go abroad with no idea how to get home if your airline goes bust. I had to send a gf money about five years ago when her Hungarian airline went bust while she was away.

On recent trip to Berlin, my ears hurt so much from flying, I was considering taking the train home. There are other medical emergencies that might require the same.

Plus, as GQ mentions, you really need to take maybe £500 in Euro notes, as banks have a nasty habit of stopping your card when you try to make a payment abroad.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 30,372 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    A pertinent question, GQ! Having just come back from a slightly-disastrous holiday abroad, yes, I did have the wherewithal to get all 7 of us home again if necessary! As it might well have been, as we were travelling Ryana1r. (But as TDiL's mother works at our local airport, we knew fairly early on that they weren't cancelling flights from the minor UK airports.) Also to do a night or two in a local hotel if necessary, but probably not enough to hire another villa for two weeks when the first one started letting water in & fizzing a bit.

If you are travelling with a reputable company, they should be members of the relevant professional body which will cover your costs if things go really pear-shaped. But if, like us, you've arranged it all yourself, it's just plain daft not to have some back-up plan arranged. Mine was just a credit card with a reasonably high limit, which I rarely use & always pay in full when I do, but it was there if we needed it. That said, to pay for another villa for 7 and extra flights home would just about have wiped my savings out. I do feel for the Monarch passengers, and the staff who have just lost their living. It's good to be home!
    Angie

GC Oct17 £273.79/£430

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 3rd Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 14,036 Posts
    • 130,762 Thanks
    mardatha
    And the staff who have lost their jobs are in for a hell of a shock when they hit Universal Credit and the Tories idea of unemployment benefit..
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Not to mention the knock-on effect of people who have paid Monarch for their flights/etc with credit cards and decide to claim the thing available for those buying goods costing over £100 of claiming on the credit card company.

I've always thought that credit card companies are the "innocent party" in arrangements that go belly-up and can't really understand why they get to carry the can in those circumstances.

So - what will the effect be on these innocent credit card companies of probably opening their post over the next few weeks to see however-many claims they get to have them cover Monarch's costs?
    #MeToo
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 51,000 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Maybe I'm missing something, but, why doesn't Ryanair hire some of the, now jobless, Monarch pilots, so they don't have to cancel any more of their flights?
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 88,317 Thanks
    fuddle
    That's the law though. 'innocent' credit card companies know they have the same responsibility to the consumer as the seller when they issue the card and charge interest on purchases with the card.
    Good enough is good enough.

BMI - Oct: 31.8 Nov:?
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 13,658 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I would imagine there are quite a few people though that hold a credit card, but rarely use it and always pay off any bills they get too promptly to ever pay any interest on them. I must be far from the only person that uses my credit card that way. I've never paid them a penny of interest.

But wonder whether the knock-on effect of this provision would mean those companies might be trying to figure out whether they could charge us interest to cover other peoples compensation claims? Hmm....if they try that....then I guess bang goes being able to use a credit card - as I'd just cut it up and not use one ever again....
    #MeToo
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 88,317 Thanks
    fuddle
    Money the consumer credit act 1974 (look at section 75) has been around for a long time. This isn't something new. You've been using your credit card all along accepting interest charges and having legal protection if something goes wrong.

I dare say, as credit card companies are big businesses with, I would expect, great big business plans they do account for forecasted compensation claims under section 75 and I also dare say that that risk is factored into who they give the cards to and under what interest rate. I don't think credit card companies are interested in people who pay off their cards religiously really when it comes to the nitty gritty and that, I believe, is because they can't make money.
    Good enough is good enough.

BMI - Oct: 31.8 Nov:?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 12,158 Posts
    • 215,420 Thanks
    greenbee
    Maybe I'm missing something, but, why doesn't Ryanair hire some of the, now jobless, Monarch pilots, so they don't have to cancel any more of their flights?
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Monarch uses Airbus, Ryanair are Boeing. You have to certify for each type of aircraft, so they may not be appropriately qualified.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin