Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 268
    • jk0
    • By jk0 30th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 23,587 Thanks
    jk0

I phoned them up to say that was not on and I asked " is Natwest in trouble?"
    Originally posted by maryb
    Guess who the beggars in Ireland are who won't repay my investment? Their alter ego, RBS.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 11,433 Posts
    • 219,710 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Not one of my favourite Def Leppard records... I'll get my patched denim jacket.
    Originally posted by short_bird
    Sadly, I haven't owned a Daft Leotard tee shirt for over 30 years, so cannot be appropriately dressed for the bonfire, so will just have to rock my usual Worsel Gummidge duds.

Sheesh, have you seen these teens in G & R tees? Same design as the original 1980s ones? I feel like going up to one of these ankle-biters and telling them I was at the G & R first ever UK gig (where three people died) and they should stop trespassing on rock history and go get something modern to listen to.

Mind you, it's a pretty cool tee.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• short_bird
    • By short_bird 30th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 26,186 Thanks
    short_bird
    It was like the outbreak of Ramones t-shirts a wee while ago. Then again, if one person listens to either G'n'R or the Ramones through buying the shirt, I'll be happy.

And I think anyone who was at Reading the year Nirvana played has some sort of prepper instinct. Mud, mud, glorious mud....
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 11,433 Posts
    • 219,710 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Too right!

You should hear the garbage my twenty-something neighbours blast out of their flats. I think it's called R & B.

Some of us can remember when that meant Rivvum & Blooz, which I have a whole lot more time for. Bores me witless, I'm so tempted to smack some heavy rock into the CD drive and let 'er rip (very powerful 5.1 speaker array hooked onto this ancient desktop PC) Lesseee, howzabout 'Waking up the Neighbours' by Bryan Adams.....?

According to a neighbour, we had armed police outside my flat this morning. I was doing my usual McCavity trick and was Out. Only know about it because SuperGran left me a voicemail. No one knows why and there's nowt on the local snoozepaper's website.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• jk0
    • By jk0 30th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 23,587 Thanks
    jk0
    They've come to do you for hoarding Sardines GQ.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 11,433 Posts
    • 219,710 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    They've come to do you for hoarding Sardines GQ.
    Originally posted by jk0
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going down for a loooong time!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• jk0
    • By jk0 1st Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 23,587 Thanks
    jk0
    Anyone read this in the article about councils overcharging?:

Council tax rules state that, like students, those diagnosed as 'severely mentally impaired' – which covers conditions such as dementia, but also many others – and who are eligible for certain benefits, are 'disregarded for council tax purposes'.
    What does that say about students though?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 1st Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 52,348 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Enjoy your bonfire, GQ. I know you've been looking forward to it for ages
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 1st Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 30,829 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Back from my assorted holibobs (last instalment being 4 days really Up North, for my uncle & aunt's 60th wedding anniversary) to discover that my beloved daughters, both veggie/pescatarian, have eaten virtually every carbohydrate in the house, but left all the carefully-garnered vegetables alone! Sigh... will need to take careful stock & replenish accordingly.
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 01-10-2017 at 9:53 PM.
    Angie

GC Dec17 £338.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 1st Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 23,587 Thanks
    jk0
    Evening all,

I take it you have all been watching what's going on in Spain? Shocking to see that happening in what I thought was a civilised country. What a contrast with the Scottish independence vote, eh?

FTA, I think if I was Catalonian planning to vote no, I would be voting yes, after seeing that.
    Last edited by jk0; 01-10-2017 at 7:34 PM.
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 1st Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 4,511 Thanks
    ariarnia
    FTA, I think if I was Catalonian planning to vote no, I would be voting yes, after seeing that.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Honestly, and I'm a little ashamed to admit it, if I were a Catalonian planning to vote, I wouldn't.

https://youtu.be/XUz2YDo8aTY

This made me feel sick. Watch the first two seconds carefully. It was completely intentional.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 1st Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 11,433 Posts
    • 219,710 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yup. This kind of repressive violence is going to make any fence-sitters think long and hard about what they want to be apart of; Free Catalonia or Fascist Spain?

If the majority of the population in a region want to secede, what can a national government realistically do? Beat them all up? Arrest all the politicians on the other side and hold them without trial? Start sharpening stakes for the severed heads they're gonna mount on the town halls, as an example to dissuade the rebels?

It's shocking to see such a ham-fisted attempt to prevent a ballot in Europe in the 21st century, more like something you'd expect in the more lawless parts of Africa, for goodness' sake!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 1st Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 55,709 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Some nasty stuff going on there indeed! It would be a small step from that to politicians using police to interfere in a legally-arranged election. Why not just organise a proper referendum for them and see that it is carried out properly according to law, then see what the result is? If the result is in favour of independence then let them get on with it!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 14,236 Posts
    • 38,560 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Badly-handled by the Spanish Government re Catalonia region.

Am in process of trying to find out why a part of Spain wants to leave Spain - but there is a failure of politics/diplomacy going on as to how to handle this.

Can't help feeling their Government should have seen this coming and thought out how to deal with it much more clearly - and peacefully - than this.

Treating the protestors like that is not a good idea and is likely to "put backs up", rather than dealing with the situation in a more constructive/diplomatic way.

Smooth logical diplomats behind the scenes - and not aggression - is surely a better way to handle this.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 1st Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 4,511 Thanks
    ariarnia
    If the majority of the population in a region want to secede, what can a national government realistically do? Beat them all up? Arrest all the politicians on the other side and hold them without trial? Start sharpening stakes for the severed heads they're gonna mount on the town halls, as an example to dissuade the rebels?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Basically, yes.

If Catalonia uses this vote to declare independence then Madrid will have to ask itself if it is going to impose its laws by force, if the Catalan people choose their future peacefully and democratically.

It doesn't take many armed police to make people behave when they have children at home. Look at those african states, it's the minority (on both sides) that have the guns, the majority just want to get on with their lives.

I'll admit I'm a coward, but I'd rather be alive and whole for my children than 'fight the government' for the right for a free vote. Maybe before the sprogglets.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 1st Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 4,789 Posts
    • 22,417 Thanks
    calicocat
    Honestly, and I'm a little ashamed to admit it, if I were a Catalonian planning to vote, I wouldn't.

https://youtu.be/XUz2YDo8aTY

This made me feel sick. Watch the first two seconds carefully. It was completely intentional.
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    Coming out of lurking for this....

That is bl00dy disgusting , I don't know how everyone standing around did nothing. Depends how many police were there I guess, and a pretty frightening experience so easy to look on saying what I have.
    Wouldn't be surprised after that if the citizens aren't tooled up next time they fancy voting or having an opinion on anything.

Jeeze..... they should be utterly ashamed of themselves.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 2nd Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    • 11,433 Posts
    • 219,710 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A crisis for the EU as it sat on its hands and let the Spanish government behave atrociously in the run-up and apparently has nothing to say about the vile actions of the police on the day: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/01/eu-crisis-catalonian-referendum-descends-violence/

Heads should roll for this. The images are all around the world and, if the EU cannot even stand firm for order and democracy in Europe, they should keep their bleedin' traps shut about the rest of the world. Absolutely bliddy disgraceful.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• jk0
    • By jk0 2nd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 23,587 Thanks
    jk0
    Morning all,

Well Mr Rajoy really shot himself in the foot yesterday, didn't he? 90% in favour of independence!

The polls gave it that only about 45% were in favour, so if he had let the vote go ahead legally, he'd have stood a good chance of a no vote.

It looks like anyone wanting to vote no, would have stayed at home to avoid being beaten up by the police. Thus the only ones who went out to vote were those stirred up enough to risk it.

Do you have to be thick to be a politician?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,270 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well Mr Rajoy really shot himself in the foot yesterday, didn't he? 90% in favour of independence!

The polls gave it that only about 45% were in favour, so if he had let the vote go ahead legally, he'd have stood a good chance of a no vote.

It looks like anyone wanting to vote no, would have stayed at home to avoid being beaten up by the police. Thus the only ones who went out to vote were those stirred up enough to risk it.

Do you have to be thick to be a politician?
    Originally posted by jk0
    A good summary, jk0!

I'm horrified by the whole thing
    Retired August 2016
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 14,236 Posts
    • 38,560 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    In fairness though he's probably watched other examples of referendums where it was a "no" result and the minority refused to accept it/campaigned and another referendum was held at some point where it had changed to a "yes" vote and they did accept that.

We've also recently voted to Brexit - and some of the minority are refusing to accept it and demanding things like another referendum.

So - just how does one get the minority in a referendum to accept it - rather than demanding a re-run unless and until they get the result they want?

We've also seen that when a referendum question clearly specifies exactly what people are voting for that, at whatever point the vote says "Yes" (be it 1st time, 2nd time, whatever) that it tends to get regarded as "thin end of wedge" and shoving on to get more than was actually voted for. To quote one example of ours - we voted for the Common Market - we didnt vote for the whole "United States of Europe" concept. But the "thin end of wedge" was in and they wedged and they wedged and they wedged. To use an old phrase they "Used a sprat to catch a mackerel".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 02-10-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin