Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 260
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 60,862 Thanks
    kittie
    yes jk0, awful lot of scammers about, you really do need to keep alert, I had a very realistic e mail the other month, it made the children hopping mad, all these people who are scammed. I so hope that one day they get what is coming to them

re selling shares in a shtf situation. It is very difficult and there are nose dives, like in 9/11 when the sipp halved in value and I was at pets at home, I had to do a lot of hard trading afterwards to recover from that but like they say, it is the difficult stuff that teaches you the most.

I see that there has been something bad again in London

cheapskate, crossed posts, awful situation

I feel the drawbridges need to be raised again, just that intuitive feeling that I get
    Last edited by kittie; 15-09-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 16th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 50,674 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Buggalugs is fast asleep on the bed again, so whatever was bothering her, seems to have resolved itself.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 9,290 Posts
    • 54,518 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Maybe she wanted a bit of reassurance that you would be there if she needed you? Cats, exasperating critturs, but you wouldn't be without them!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

September NSDs 12 of 15
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 68,127 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Update on the drainage situation.

The blockage is clear we did not have to dig the floor up.

The best advice i can now give is....

Ensure your children know that flushing their boxer shorts down the loo is not the best way to deal with 'accidents'...

It's a bl00dy good job he left for uni on saturday and is now 100 miles away...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 50,138 Thanks
    ivyleaf

Ensure your children know that flushing their boxer shorts down the loo is not the best way to deal with 'accidents'...

Originally posted by VJsmum
    Oh my goodness So glad you didn't need to dig the floor up though! Perhaps you'd better warn him not to do it again at uni....
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 214,723 Thanks
    greenbee

Originally posted by VJsmum
    I hope you have sent him the bill (and will send the rest of them on at appropriate intervals)
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 68,127 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I hope you have sent him the bill (and will send the rest of them on at appropriate intervals)
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Little point, he only has us as an income anyway.... He 'may' be doing a lot more lawn mowing in the future, however...

The reality is, there was a lot of scale build up in the drain, and a rainwater gulley has become silted up and much of the cost has been dealing with that. There were things we'd ignored even though we knew they were causing problems so it's done us a bit of a favour.

Not that i am going to tell him that...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 214,723 Thanks
    greenbee
    I was thinking of visibility of the costs, rather than cold hard cash. But make him sweat a bit...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 17, 4:31 PM
    • 27,709 Posts
    • 151,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh good lord! Thats quite an intense learning experience all round! Thanks for the update
    Retired August 2016
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 18th Sep 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 30,099 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Update from marginally-sunny Mallorca: we're flying Ryanair. I may be gone for some time...
    Angie

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 19th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 22,787 Thanks
    jk0
    Just saw an interesting video about how we walk nowadays compared with Medieval times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszwYNvvCjQ

Should I try to walk differently?
    • maryb
    • By maryb 19th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 3,343 Posts
    • 39,655 Thanks
    maryb
    Seeing reports about a nasty strain of flu in the Southern Hemisphere likely to be the version we get this winter. They don't know yet if the flu vaccine being rolled out this autumn will be effective against it but it does contain some of the H3N2 strain so probably a good idea to get vaccinated
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 60,862 Thanks
    kittie
    so probably a good idea to get vaccinated
    Originally posted by maryb
    not for me
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 19th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 25,756 Thanks
    short_bird
    A superb piece of reporting from Venezuela on SHTF.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2128-my-wealthy-country-became-dystopia-6-realities.html
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 10,897 Posts
    • 151,136 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Our clinics are on the 30th September and the 14th October, we'll be first in line! Influenza is more dangerous than is realised and as we age, our immune systems are less able to fight it off, I'll take all the help I can get!

Person opinion, not for all of us I realise!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 129,862 Thanks
    mardatha
    I got flu every winter and was always laid out by it, 3 times it went into pneumonia and several times to a chest infection. Since I got the jab, I only got it once and that was really mild. That's why I get it.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 19th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 5,757 Posts
    • 87,526 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'll be walking in to walk in next Tues for the flu vac. History has taught me that it doesnt matter how fit and healthy we think we are summit can have us in a right state. I did contract p after the flu jab twice last year but I never had flu. I have chronic stress and work every day to give my scarred lungs and asthmatic airways a fighting chance. The flu jab, for me, is a necessity but I know it's not going to save me. Here comes another season and ironically worrying about it will make me more susceptible. I think all thats left is to touch wood!
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 215,475 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm booked onto a flu clinic in October, I'm one of the sub-pensioner-with-chronic-illness cohort and have the jab on the advice of my consultant. It doesn't make you 100 % flu-proof but it can make any flu a less-serious matter than it would have otherwise have been.

It's about playing the odds in your favour, but everyone should do what s/he feels is right for them; working in a call centre one bug quickly spreads like the plague, anyway.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 10,897 Posts
    • 151,136 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    In his latest offering whilst addressing the massed diplomats of the UN Mr. Trump has threatened to totally destroy N. Korea, how lovely!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 215,475 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Trump could die at any time of natural causes. Such as his secret service bodyguards accidentally-on-purpose being in the wrong place at the wrong time when some nutter goes for him with a gun or a knife. Reminds me of the joke about Dan Quayle when he was the vice president; that if anyone assassinated H.W. Bush, the secret service had a standing order to shoot James Danforth 'Potatoe' Quayle.

I don't bother with the news on NK/ USA. Not because I'm some pollyanna believing the best outcome for all will be achieved, but because it's as unmanageable a risk as a comet hitting the earth.

I like to focus my attention on what I can deal with rather than stress about what I can't influence or control.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,665Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin