Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 259
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 4,836 Posts
    • 69,719 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Sigh - the best prepping advice I can give right now is to look after your drains....

The tale:

19 years ago we had an extension built. This necessarily meant that the soil and vent pipe previously on the outside of our house, had to come inside (in the extension). it was boxed in and all was well.

However...

we have felt for some YEARS that it was "not quite right" but ignored it. Occasionally, in heavy rain, we knew that some water was coming in.

We ignored it - well it dried again, didn't it

A couple of weeks ago OH jet washed the drive.

three days ago we had heavy rain after many weeks of no rain.

Water was pooling (as in lake - ing) outside our house. Since we moved here every other house in our close (5 in all) built drives over their gardens, meaning that the water that would have previously been soaked up headed our way as we are slightly downhill of them (only discernable because the water ends up here)

The detritus from jet washing the drive has blocked the gulley from the down pipe, the rain also has come down the down pipe. The SVP drain is in the same location.

All of this means that, two days ago, i walk into our study (where said boxing for SVP is) and the carpet is saturated, the water squelching as you walked on it

Anyway the upshot is, that we had to break down the boxing last night to check leaks from the SVP - one pipe had completely detached and water just comes straight out from there, other water (including flush water) also leaks through the resulting hole); another pipe is ill-fitting and also leaks. So that needs mending - how this hasn't continually flooded I don't know, it was only the heavy rain that caused the carpet to be soaked.

First though we have to get the drains flushed through (£105.00 and that's if it is a simple job). They are coming this morning.

Then a plumber (goodness knows how much) to fix the SVP

Then a joiner to mend the stud partition boxing. I think i will get the joiner to put in an inspection hatch.

Ho hum.... I don't want to think about drains - i want to think about nice things....

All of this was avoidable..... I may have to be cast out of the prepping group...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 11,117 Posts
    • 153,435 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    When people decide that concreting, decking, paving etc. their gardens for convenience or because they need to use them for parking or they're unwilling/unable to mow grass or manage beds this is the result! it's why there is so much more flooding in areas where traditionally there hasn't been a problem in the past. Add in the increasingly heavy and sudden downpours we are experiencing and 'climate change' if you believe in it and you have the perfect conditions for problems in homes further down or at the bottom of slopes. It's sad that other folks actions have caused the problem VJsMum but at least you now know the 'why' and hopefully now have the fixing 'in hand'! Hope there isn't too much damage in the study.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sigh - the best prepping advice I can give right now is to look after your drains....

First though we have to get the drains flushed through (£105.00 and that's if it is a simple job). They are coming this morning.

Then a plumber (goodness knows how much) to fix the SVP

Then a joiner to mend the stud partition boxing. I think i will get the joiner to put in an inspection hatch.

Ho hum.... I don't want to think about drains - i want to think about nice things....

All of this was avoidable..... I may have to be cast out of the prepping group...
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Poor you! As for prepping ... just remember that the tradesmen are still available, and will still come out.
    No Armageddon on the horizon right now

Good save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4,836 Posts
    • 69,719 Thanks
    VJsmum
    When people decide that concreting, decking, paving etc. their gardens for convenience or because they need to use them for parking or they're unwilling/unable to mow grass or manage beds this is the result! it's why there is so much more flooding in areas where traditionally there hasn't been a problem in the past. Add in the increasingly heavy and sudden downpours we are experiencing and 'climate change' if you believe in it and you have the perfect conditions for problems in homes further down or at the bottom of slopes. It's sad that other folks actions have caused the problem VJsMum but at least you now know the 'why' and hopefully now have the fixing 'in hand'! Hope there isn't too much damage in the study.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Unfortunately I can't blame it all on that. we have been ignoring it for some years... we also have a drive, although we didn't put it in, we were the only house to have one when we moved here. But the road is single lane access, parking is tricky, so i can't blame them. Just a shame we cop all their water. i think we will need to put some kind of french / perforated drain in once the immediate issue is resolved..
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 4,836 Posts
    • 69,719 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Poor you! As for prepping ... just remember that the tradesmen are still available, and will still come out.
    No Armageddon on the horizon right now

Good save
    Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Exactly. But a good prepper would have been more proactive, i feel.

All the kids are bothered about is the fact that showers and baths are banned for the moment... Apparently washing your hair in the kitchen sink is 'disgusting'
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 11,359 Posts
    • 218,532 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Grinning at your young person's comment, not making mock of your plight, VJsMum. What a b*mmer...... hope you get it sorted soon.

Goes to show the dangers of ignoring those little niggles, though, doesn't it? I'm sure we've all been there (with variations) before and probably will be there again. Shows a little maintenance/ timely investigations goes a long way.

I'm bottoming out my kitchen cupboards atm, in between playing on t'net. I tell myself it's because I'm not a spring chicken anymore and can't keep crawling around on a tiled floor, but that's just an excuse.

It has some preptastic elements as I've re-organised some tinned goods and checked BB dates. Gosh, didn't I do well getting tuna at 3 for £1 (I write price, purchase date and BB date prominently on the top of cans, my memory isn't as good as all that).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 40,723 Thanks
    maryb
    We have a paved back yard( it has been paved since Victorian times, it was access to the servants' wing which is all that is left of the original Victorian house. However the owners before last replaced what was probably nice flagstones with yellow London bricks so not a thing of beauty at all)

Every time it rains hard, it pools and ends up finding its way into the old coal cellars even though the coal shutes have been blocked off. As it doesn't get much sun the paving bricks are very mossy and it is slippery in winter

We were thinking of taking up the old paving and replacing it with gravel in the hope of enabling the rain to disperse more evenly. Can people think of any downside to this/ think it might help?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 11,359 Posts
    • 218,532 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm no expert on drainage but I do know what cats think when they see gravel - eww!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 14,094 Posts
    • 131,565 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've got side tracked into wondering if anybody has ever seen any of the Victorian servants crossing that yard lol
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 40,723 Thanks
    maryb
    We have gravel at the front and it hasn't been a problem largely because we go for medium shingle rather than pea shingle. The foxes seem to prefer the doorstep
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 17, 4:31 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 40,723 Thanks
    maryb
    If you were of a nervous disposition you might think there was a ghostly presence out there at night but the more prosaic explanation is that next door neighbour's tree sets off the security light if it's breezy.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,782 Thanks
    kittie
    Maryb, I have four tiers in my back garden, all gravels or slates. The three gravel tiers are graded from very fine to coarse. Top tier is pink and fine, second tier down is very fine and tan, looks like a beach, next tier down is rustic slate and bottom tier is the common coarse tan/beige gravel. None of them get soiled with cat doo da and there are many cats prowling, they do prefer any soil in the area

wrt preparing the gravel bed, go around with a large fork and step on it hard and wiggle it, then brush coarse sand into the holes. Handling gravel and sand is very hard work, we shifted more than 7 tonnes of it. It is very effective and our communal car parking is on gravel also

Yes gravel would be far far better Maryb but it is a big heavy job
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 40,723 Thanks
    maryb
    Thanks Kittie. Your garden sounds lovely, will you try and recreate something similar if and when you move?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,782 Thanks
    kittie
    perhaps Maryb, I like hardcore if it is designed to create a pattern. It could never be the same garden though because this house is 3m below the field behind and to the sides and there are 2 1/2 retaining walls, two are wood. I think the garden may well sell the house but won`t be for a while as absolutely nothing new has come up for sale in the new area and I have been looking for two weeks. There are two properties but both are old heritage with beams and low ceilings and they scream high maintenance at me, so I have not even driven past. I don`t want dark inside or heavy beams
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,782 Thanks
    kittie
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    My husband was a structural engineer and he often had to examine drains with cameras and many many times, there were collapses and problems, often caused by tree roots and sometimes by builders rubble

An inspection hatch is a very sensible idea. It is the tarmac that has caused so much flooding over the country, gravel is much better and the upside is that no self-respecting burglar walks on it.

VJsmum, I hope you manage to sort it permanently, houses can be money pits
    • beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 14th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    beedeedee
    An unwritten law of the land appears to be...no matter how much gravel you order - you always need more...
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 17, 11:22 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 40,723 Thanks
    maryb
    But you only discover that after you've raked over all but the last few square yards
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,782 Thanks
    kittie
    I am blooming glad that I prepped in my sipp, which has to provide for me the rest of my life plus it is providing cash to add to savings to get that new home in the bag. The world uncertainty has gone up another notch overnight and ftse is marching down, slowly now but you just cannot sell anything in the market in a panic rush and I sold everything in the sipp last week, phew, all except three defensive funds and even those are down today so I will pull out of those too. Funds take about a week to get sold. So I am prepped for the buying of my house and my sipp is safe and I have ring fenced all I own

Kondo is going great guns too, it seems that the more I do, the more there is to do but the result is empty space and less to move, My aim is to stay in the green countryside with enough garden to have potential for veg and fruit and relaxation in case I get to an only-pottering stage. Away from the madding crowd, in my own bubble
    Last edited by kittie; 15-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 23,407 Thanks
    jk0
    Well done Kittie.

Anyone who does have investments might want to consider if they can get their money out at all if TSHTF.

I inherited some shares in a UK bond fund back in 1996. Presumably for tax reasons this is administered from Ireland. Back in January they notified me that they were amalgamating with another fund, and that my holding was below the minimum of the other fund. In Feb, they sent a contract note, for the sale of my shares. I did not look at it too closely, and it remained with my papers until I started doing my tax return this week.

I realised they should have sent me the £7k, but they had not. First I phoned, and they asked me to email. I emailed with my bank details, and they replied they did not have my bank details, and would I please write. (Ever heard of cheques?)

I wrote yesterday that I had now contacted them three times about this, and if a fourth was required it would be a letter before action to their UK branch.

I was just saying to someone, that if they were honest, they would either have sent a cheque, or written to ask for my bank details. Not just hang onto the cash and hope I forgot about it!
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 15th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 19,366 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Re flooding - we've lived in this house for 21 years and the back garden floods in a way that it didn't at the beginning. We're at the bottom of a gently curving slope/crescent, and more of the back gardens to other properties have installed decking, patios, conservatories, etc, thus less soakaway remains. Sometimes, after heavy rains or melting snow, the water sweeps down all the gardens, gushes through next door's fence (couple of feet higher than us) and whooshes across our land to next door other side. We often end up with an ankle-deep pond, as does next door, and the bungalow that backs onto them ends up with a lake in their back yard!!

Last winter, another neighbour 5 doors up had to use a small pump to remove water from the crawl space under their house that had seeped in during heavy rains, as it had nowhere else to go. She said the smell was revolting!

We have no stocks and shares, but some of the money I inherited from mum is going to knock off some of the mortgage - the reduction in outgoings will be far more than any interest earned in the bank. I want to hang on to some of her money as a safety net for the time being. DH will be in a position to draw down a bit of cash from his business, so then we'll be able to pay off more or even all of the mortgage, and still have a bit left in the bank. At least our home will be ours then, rather than hostage to the bank, and our outgoings much reduced, therefore bank balances will slowly rise - win/win I think?!

A xo
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin