Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 258
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 18,845 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Right now it is not raining. However, the next 4 days? Waterproofs & wellies will be the dress code.
    All luck to anyone with bonus high wind speeds as well. There really is only so much you can do with feedsacks & baler twine once the wind gets over 30mph.
    If you have a greenhouse, just run a thoughtful eye over if anything therein could be relocated overnight, or if you're ready to write the lot off. My neighbour has moved five trays of baby plants into her car...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 60,983 Thanks
    kittie
    Kittie, I may have missed a crucial point, but why are you moving?

Your existing house sounds like it's about 8 out of 10. Could you not fit a shower downstairs where you are?

FTA: My next door neighbour partitioned the hall, so the downstairs loo became a bathroom. Would that work in your house?
    Originally posted by jk0
    Buses, shop, surgery, lovely and quiet for cycling safely in many beautiful lanes, active village with a hall and activities like film nights. That area will be perfect for me, I have to forget all that we put into this house and am ready to start again, it is a good thing to do after recovering from a bereavement, making ones own life. I`ll be able to keep my allotment. I will be joining a group of older ladies in a weeks or so, they do trips and meet for coffee in the hall. I already know a few so will have a ready made community, all close by

I dozed off for a little while and decided to carry on, to fill my car, so all my bird feeding equipment is going to the re-use area. The shed looks fab now, very tidy and organised and I am so pleased with the solar lights, very bright in there
    • Perplexed Pineapple
    • By Perplexed Pineapple 9th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 6,260 Thanks
    Perplexed Pineapple
    Evening all.
    I've been reading some quite scary articles about the impact of climate change. I don't think there is anything we can to do prevent these scenarios occurring if the science is correct.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/09/this-is-how-your-world-could-end-climate-change-global-warming

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2006/jul/26/science.g2

In prepping terms, these problems are still decades away, but we need to try to equip our children and grandchildren with resilience and adaptability beyond what our generations have needed. Still, I'm optimistic that human ingenuity will find solutions.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 60,983 Thanks
    kittie
    bird feeding equipment wanted by dd, woo hoo. It took me a long time to find such good feeders, unpacked from car just in time. Hopefully from now on it will be a bit less strenuous work here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 27,721 Posts
    • 151,469 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Karmakat I've never heard of the Gaia hypothesis but I know damn fine the earth is a living self-regulating organism and we've derailed it.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Absolutely, mar, it makes sense, doesn't it - but he was the one to collect *evidence* for it, and use it to support a scientific hypothesis, and that was at least 30 years ago (he's in his 90s now).

Prepping note: with all the probate work and looking after my own finances in my "new" situation, I thought I'd update the notebook in my "bug out to hotel" bag - and found that, because I did it maybe 3 years ago, and I haven't updated quite as meticulously as I thought I had I'm starting again:
    - there have been deaths in the family.
    - people have sold some houses, and bought others.
    - some accounts have been cashed in, others opened.
    - financial firms have changed names and merged.

So I'm typing it out, and printing in as concise a way as possible. I'll store the document on a little flash drive, not my normal computer, so if the computer's ever stolen, my stuff is still safe.

And it's up to date
    Retired August 2016
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 7:39 AM
    • 13,425 Posts
    • 36,582 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hurricane Irma
    A link of interest on why this might be happening that people might be interested to read:

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-09-10-claim-hurricane-irma-a-man-made-storm-created-via-weather-weaponization-technology-new-video-released.html
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 60,983 Thanks
    kittie
    I am prepping ahead financially now and making a very serious effort to save or to not spend. M/S money is so helpful for this and I can see the amount I will have ahead, which further encourages me to not spend. At the same time it does help me to prep my freezer for a move, ie eat freezer food, I think I will have at least six months, maybe more if no suitable property appears on the horizon
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 22,789 Thanks
    jk0
    You'll get strong fingers if you do!

I did typing at evening classes (a neighbour's front room with desks and big upright typewriters) - we had to type in time to music which got faster as we all improved our speed.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Oh, here's a bit of synchronicity:

My local Oxfam shop has a manual typewriter in the window. Should I buy it? (Reluctant as my house is full of junk already. )
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 28,218 Posts
    • 71,780 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Oh, here's a bit of synchronicity:

My local Oxfam shop has a manual typewriter in the window. Should I buy it? (Reluctant as my house is full of junk already. )
    Originally posted by jk0
    Can you still get ribbons for them? Not much use without.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 13,425 Posts
    • 36,582 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I had one of those typewriters way back when. Mine was about 2nd World War vintage.

But I would echo checking you can get ribbons for them still first. I'm guessing that maybe somewhere on Amazon one could find a source of supply - but you do need to check first.

I dont know what vintage the one you saw is? But I have seen ones of as old a vintage as I used to have used as sorta "industrial ornaments" in recent times (rather than being bought for use iyswim).
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Witless
    • By Witless 11th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    Witless
    Can you still get ribbons for them? Not much use without.
    There's a variety of them on Amazing, in the £3 - £4 range.
    • pennib
    • By pennib 11th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    pennib
    You can also get the on e*bay as I recently bought one from there for my old machine.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 50,675 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Can you still get ribbons for them?
    Yes you can.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=typewriter+ribbons
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Sep 17, 6:40 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 60,983 Thanks
    kittie
    prepping now includes running repairs on anything that needs doing particularly the house and outside and keeping the sparkle going, deep cleaning at the moment, the winter clean which I would do anyway but I will not be ignoring any build up over winter. I am still doing KM but very slowly now. I keep getting this vision in the back of my head, those tiny little homes for old folk, that dh once had to photograph, when he was a professional and I went to help him. That picture does not go away and for many the path to old age is made much easier by clearing the pathway of hurdles. I would love to say pah to prepping for old age but that clock keeps on ticking, like it or not and I am going with the flow of that clock, while retaining my hobbies, activity and energy, it is kind of adjusting the life around me so that I can devote more time to the things that keep me young
    Last edited by kittie; 12-09-2017 at 6:42 AM.
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 11,137 Posts
    • 58,718 Thanks
    elona
    I have just had a delivery of a trundle bed and mattress that should fit under the day bed so I can manage to have six people staying over rather than just five.

I seem to keep spending money just now but they are all things I love and will use, like a beautiful long sleeve, long length nightie and a pretty plush cover up that is a cross between a posh bed jacket and cardigan, I am trying hard to lose weight healthily so what I already have will fit better and my knees should be less painful.

I have stocked up on a few cans and packets that can be warmed through quickly in case of illness etc.

Family are already making plans for Christmas which they are spending with me so will go with the flow and use my head to save my feet by shopping online.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 18,845 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    We've had the weather warning & have hauled the rubbish bins into safety. Hoping you are all safely fastened down for the coming weather?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 13,966 Posts
    • 129,937 Thanks
    mardatha
    We're just getting the rain I think, the wind is further south. For once!
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 12th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    We put the garden chairs away, and brought in the last of the green tomatoes before they get blown off by the wind. Otherwise, windows and doors locked as usual.
    Cold drizzle, light wind, hardly any traffic about.
    Doggie snuggled up. Lets hope we all get a fairly quiet night.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 4,789 Posts
    • 50,183 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    It wasn't too bad down here. Typically it was the night for putting the bins out, but we were able to put them somewhere a bit sheltered. I did hear someone's food waste bin blowing along the road last night, and wondered how far it would have got by this morning!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 13th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 22,789 Thanks
    jk0
    Anyone read this in yesterday's Mail? It had me in stitches:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4874804/Richard-Littlejohn-Great-British-Tsunami-1014.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,846Posts Today

6,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin