Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 257
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 23,421 Thanks
    jk0
    Funnily enough I'm on a busy road, and across from a pub. Neither are a problem for me. However, I think I got this house for a bargain price in view of them. Worth considering perhaps?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 11,129 Posts
    • 153,552 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I wouldn't mind the pub, not so keen on the road because we like to run with windows open as much as we can and the noise would be noticeable it's when you've driven a couple of hundred miles to view what on paper seems to be an 'ideal' (at least on paper) property with all the things on your needs and find there's a Hungry Horse pub next door and the childrens play area is just behind your boundary fence! The photos on the brochure set to make it look like it stands on its own in the country don't help either!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 23,421 Thanks
    jk0
    Oh, well if you have a noisy road, front & back as I do, you certainly don't notice the pub, or neighbours' children.

I don't go to bed until after midnight usually, so even Fri & Sat nights are fine for me. I did have my bedroom window open until about a week ago. You just tune out the noise after a bit.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    MrsLW, good luck to you and my EA niece says that a lot come on sale in september so keep a sharp look out. I like the RM link at the top of the page, which says how many houses have been sold per month in the past years in a certain postcode

Prepping continues apace but is now more MK so I`ll need to go over to that thread as I am prepping outwards, rather than inwards
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 131,641 Thanks
    mardatha
    Watching Reuters and Fox News on Florida. Absolute chaos and I'm so glad I don't live there.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 9th Sep 17, 12:33 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 26,159 Thanks
    short_bird
    You may find this interesting as there are comments on all the fires and flooding:
    https://captainawkward.com/2017/09/08/open-thread-flood-fire/#comments
    http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map gives a view of the whole of the US and Canada.
    I find this last story worrying in a nuclear winter scenario:
    http://www.newsweek.com/wildfires-oregon-california-montana-smoke-jet-stream-660635
    Off to Zero Hedge.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 5:58 AM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    There is a 2 bed bungalow in the area I want, perfect condition having been completely refurbed but thanks to RM I see that there is no storage and the upstairs `room` picture has a bed in it but it is not called a bedroom and has no door, just stairs going straight down. Yet another one to bypass. I need the same size as now, I will not be giving up hobbies or home cooking or allotment or bikes. Interesting to look online though and that click to show the last selling price in 2015, 200k below now, the sellers, owned by an estate agent employee, must be having a laugh
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 13,987 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I think this can be a problem with some "easier to live in" (on the face of it) housing - space for storage of possessions.

I couldn't live in a typical (what is thought of as OAP) bungalow. It would be way too small for someone to actually "live a life". As you say, Kittie, space is needed for hobbies/interests/etc. If not living in one's "own" part of the country (or some of your friends/relatives have moved away) - space is needed to be able to have friends/relatives come and stay for a few days at a time.

Hobbies/interests are all the more important - and even more room is needed for them - once one no longer has to do a job/career and there is the question of what to do with all that extra time. Followed by "One answer is = focus more on hobbies/interests". Why on earth Society seems to think its acceptable to cram people of more advanced years and the elderly into what are little more than self-contained bedsits (hereinafter to be known as "bedsit bungalows") is beyond me.

A friend of mine has just downsized from a reasonable size house (3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms/large sitting room/large kitchen/conservatory/storage room) to a "OAP style" 2 bedroom bungalow and there are possessions piled high in and on everything - as there is just nowhere to put many of them. This has been followed by f*ckless kidult child that still lives in private rented accommodation and keeps adding to the number of children is going to be losing her latest private rental soon and I know that "child" well enough to know that Mum would probably try and cram f*ckless "child" and her children in as well for "however-long" and "child" would expect it....

So there's all sorts of factors to take into account when moving. I got a bigger bungalow - but have had to add storage space in every which way I can and have improved it a lot to what it was - but still had to get rid of a single bed I intended to keep prior to moving here. So - the huge sofa-bed I've had to buy for visitors (the "not living in home area - and so must be able to put up visitors - scenario") does take up quite a noticeable amount of space in my sitting room.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-09-2017 at 8:00 AM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    I am learning from you money. My present house is good in that I could take in a whole family if they were ever in dire straits but apart from that I do have 3 grandchildren stay and need two spare rooms for that, they are not ever going into my sewing room, too inquisitive. I have 4 single beds and three aerobeds, one is a high one and the other two are low but all three store under one bed, so any house I get has to accomodate all that plus my hobbies plus a facility to make my workshop. Its going to be tough finding this place

I did a drive around after coming home from the tip and another reality is that I do not want to be even half a mile from the bus stop. ok now but in my 80`s! so that narrows the search even more and maybe the area closest to the shop with bus stop would be the ideal one. Looks as though I am going to have to shell out far more than I thought, otherwise there will be no choice. Anyway I am ready to jump at the right property and being a cash buyer is going to be helpful

Now, as right now, I am washing loads of lock n lock boxes. I cannot see me giving up future prepping wrt dehydrating from the allotment, for new foods when I have moved. I will never become one of those mooching around waitrose in a tweed jacket, filling my trolley with ready meals

My neighbours have no idea and no-one will be finding out until I am close to selling this one, which will be after I have removed some `clutter` not really clutter but things such as electric heaters with thermostats, I bought them after hubbie died because I could not be bothered and was too stressed to look after the pellet stove. I could possible prep ahead by making a list of what I would move before EA photos and maybe getting temporary storage somewhere. Heated clothes airer, dehydrator,humidifier, de-humidifier, electric heaters, fan, all that stuff that makes my life comfortable plus quite a bit of stuff like storage boxes.
    • Puffinbertha
    • By Puffinbertha 9th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Puffinbertha
    Another good reason for not moving into a "bedsit bungalow" -
    half of new-build retirement homes sell at a loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41200686
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 13,987 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Another good reason for not moving into a "bedsit bungalow" -
    half of new-build retirement homes sell at a loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41200686
    Originally posted by Puffinbertha
    There is a difference between reasonable size bungalows - which are carrying on much as ever value-wise or becoming rather more desirable (seems to be dependant on what part of the country one is in) on the one hand v. McC*arthy & Stone and similar specifically-built-as-retirement-properties on the other hand. Personally - I wouldnt touch one of those with yer proverbial bargepole - as they certainly tend to come in "bedsit" territory imo and then there's those service charges to think of. I'm guessing it's a combination of the fact they are so small and, to a large extent, those service charges etc that are putting people off them. Though, mind you, there are some of us that quite specifically wouldnt want to move into anything labelled a "retirement community" as such - even if we were elderly ourselves. Personally - I like to see pretty much a mixture of ages around me and assessed where I am now as "Hmmm...darn it and it tends to be more elderly people in immediate vicinity - but as they all move on (one way or another) I think the average age will go down somewhat and I think that is happening from what I can see.

But - yes - I am surprised just how cheap (comparatively speaking) some of those specific "retirement communities" can be. Last I knew was in my expensive own area the starter (ie 2 bed terrace) houses are around £200,000 now, but the specifically-labelled retirement flats are probably still around £70,000. So I tend to the view that, financially speaking, if one has very little capital, but enough income to cover those service charges = they may be worth looking at. But I wouldnt want one myself.

Kittie - sounds like you need a 4 bedroom house from what you're saying. Garage could be converted to workshop perhaps? It's going to be a fair-size place by the sound of it. Perhaps 3 bedrooms and a converted loft?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-09-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 51,247 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    We're having awful weather here today.

Heavy downpours, punctuated with short dry, bright spells.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 4:51 PM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    was the same here Bob but very sunny now with fast moving rain clouds

Money,yes I have 4 beds now and one is a dedicated sewing room. Downstairs snug, study, utility and open plan living/dining/kitchen. Very good energy flow in my house and everywhere is fully used. I could convert a single garage to a workshop as long as there is off road parking

This self storage idea is creeping up on me and I have started a list of potentials, just to clear a bit more space here. It will remain homely but the big stuff will go into storage, like my air cooler, which could go out but it is a life saver in a very hot summer

I have been on RM again, on google earth and am learning more and more. There are good properties in that area, just off the main lane and they sold at reasonable prices last year and previous. The trend is down so anyone asking over the odds will not sell. Several have big gardens and I see a couple of oldies with dark beams, not for me, too much maintenance and I dislike beams

I`m cream crackered now, the sort of weariness that makes steps heavy, I just packed in. Did a huge lot, mostly prepping for potential selling. I dismantled a chrome shelving stand and re-positioned dozens of hooks and hangers, my gardening equipment now looks neat and not a jumble. More stuff to go tomorrow, car is 2/3 full again, never fear all the good stuff goes into the re-use bay

Yay son phoned and he suggested a fantastic log shed, like he built from a kit. Fully insulated and with electrics. Yes yes yes that would be my workshop, has to be away from boundaries and lower than the house. I love his shed, that would be perfect for me. Another out of the box experience and ideas are coming thick and fast from people. Love it
    Last edited by kittie; 09-09-2017 at 4:54 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,405 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You may find this interesting as there are comments on all the fires and flooding:
    https://captainawkward.com/2017/09/08/open-thread-flood-fire/#comments
    http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map gives a view of the whole of the US and Canada.
    I find this last story worrying in a nuclear winter scenario:
    http://www.newsweek.com/wildfires-oregon-california-montana-smoke-jet-stream-660635
    Off to Zero Hedge.
    Originally posted by short_bird
    Shortbird, thanks for this - I go to Captain Awkward several times a week, but this was only posted yesterday.

It does make me think of the Gaia hypothesis - that the earth is a self-regulating organism in a way - and that our activities have completely unbalanced the system.
    Retired August 2016
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 13,987 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Kittie - Rome wasnt built in a day. I do know just how frustrating it is to make up your mind "That's what I want - and I want it right NOW". But I still think your best off regarding it as Research Phase. You may, possibly, get lucky and see "just the thing" for you pretty soon - in which case go for it. On the other hand - it may take a while.

I'd say "Wait and see what unfolds" personally and hope you "get lucky". But, if not, then hang on in there and keep a darn good eye on what's available/put out the word on the grapevine and it may take a bit longer. Time will tell.

Trying to get the Perfect Option is not easy - even if money isnt coming into it and being a problem by restricting options. I still wonder at times if I got the absolute "best I could" for my money. I'm inclined to think so overall. For instance - I can see a rather better house (but still within my price range) came up 2 years later - BUT the next door neighbour has Japanese Knotweed in their garden and "couldnt give a damn" about it and another one that looked pretty good on the surface that came up a bit later isnt quite as good (but still better than mine) - but the house with Japanese Knotweed is pretty much across the road from it.

Doncha just hate it when Irresponsible Others or summat-or-other-else-they shouldnt be-Others muck up what would otherwise be a pretty good idea on the face of it?

I guess every area has a Potential Problem (whether its risk of JK - and an irresponsible type neighbour next door to you getting it) on the one hand or no risk whatsoever of anything like that but risk of the Council going in for redevelopment and it might affect you on the other hand. It does seem to be difficult to avoid both irresponsible neighbours and "fixed on expansion" Councils and flood risk and and and....

I tied myself up in total knots trying to avoid every single risk every single area would have - and came down to having to "do the best I could" to ensure my house was in a safe location....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-09-2017 at 5:50 PM.
    #MeToo

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 51,247 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    was the same here Bob but very sunny now with fast moving rain clouds
    Originally posted by kittie
    We've currently got the sun, but the rain clouds aren't moving.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11,310 Posts
    • 64,078 Thanks
    kittie
    I am biding my time money, it looks as though I am rushing through but really I am just prepping the outside storage in my house. Looking for a home has made me want to prep and its a nice feeling, rather than having to force myself to do it, anyway its fine while the weather is good

What absolutely puts me off is any sign of leylandi, particularly if it is next door. One recently sold house has a photo of hacked back brown leylandi all along a fence, on the neighbours side and I would run a mile too if I saw knotweed.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 30,630 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    We're having awful weather here today.

Heavy downpours, punctuated with short dry, bright spells.
    Much the same here, BSB, but warmer - I'm in Mallorca!
    Angie

GC Oct17 £448.79/£430 - oh bother!

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 131,641 Thanks
    mardatha
    Karmakat I've never heard of the Gaia hypothesis but I know damn fine the earth is a living self-regulating organism and we've derailed it.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 23,421 Thanks
    jk0
    Kittie, I may have missed a crucial point, but why are you moving?

Your existing house sounds like it's about 8 out of 10. Could you not fit a shower downstairs where you are?

FTA: My next door neighbour partitioned the hall, so the downstairs loo became a bathroom. Would that work in your house?
    Last edited by jk0; 09-09-2017 at 7:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

1,431Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin