Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 231
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 18,602 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I have been eating a gruesomely healthy diet, with success that has both practice nurse wearing in Irish & GP asking me to repeat as he hadn't believed his ears the first time.

I celebrated with an extra 300 calories of the sort of rubbish I've been scrupulously avoiding for 8 months & scrunch. I have a stinking cold, sore throat, skeleton the wrong size, eyeballs temporarily wrong for my glasses. Back to my green veg soup! Next treat will be a properly sourced steak, none of this just three more bites to Type 2 nonsense.

As for the youth of today not having a clue, I have a modicum of proof. My car got broken into & they nicked the satnav.
    They left binoculars, a petzl headtorch, a brewkit in a mess tin with hexy cooker matches & enough tea & coffee etc to drown a rugby team & my Leatherman supertool.

I still need to get accurate with the airrifle (& shortbow again), and learn how you separate Cottontail & Bambi from their hides, and get a lot better with hedge food (although stroking sorrel, I have a handful of seeds so far & still two thirds of a patch to collect seed from.) The kids just helped me see that this little old lady has a much longer comfortable life expectancy in the Event than those kids.

Count me in for the kneesup, even if by then one has been cyborgised.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 214,150 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Afternoon all.

Just in from the lottie where I have discovered a very healthy plantain plant lurking in the broad bean patch. Happy days - will be having me some of that later this week.

Re blood tests, I think it's worth remembering (and your medical practicioner will confirm this if you ask), is that any test result is only a snapshot in time. What your internal chemistry was doing at that moment of that day. We're animals not machines and in a constant state of flux.

Similarly, a blood pressure test is also a snapshot. Therefore, before embarking on a medication regime, it would be worth obtaining a series of snapshots to see if there's a pattern or that particular result was a fluke.

My own blood pressure fluctuates between the low end of 'normal' and getting-yelled-at-by-frightened-A&E-nurses to sit down RIGHT NOW.

That particular incident amused me because, although I do sometimes have postural hypotension and get spinny when I stand up, I felt perfectly OK just then. The nurse who'd nearly had a cow, bless her, had seen my BP drop like stone and was sure that nearly 6 ft of patient was about to topple over like a falling redwood in her cubicle.

Things we know for sure; greens are good and ciggies are bad. Getting to bed at a reasonable hour and catching 7-8 hrs of ZZZZZs is great. Meditation has been proven helpful in any number of conditions. Walking is good for you, as is spending happy times with friends and family.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 16th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 87,184 Thanks
    fuddle
    A blood test is just a snap shot in time but when I'm in A&E it's at that time that I really want to know what's going on. I don't want anything hiding or giving false clues.

It's also worth noting that with blood test reading mistakes can be made. I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia by a consultant, sent off to the GP to begin a life time of treatment to find that the consultant had made a mistake by reading the wrong line of results!

My experiences have shaped my thinking and my subsequent behaviour. I've loved educating myself about nutrition. I find it fascinating.

I'm another step closer to implementing my prepping plan. My neighbour has informed me that there is an allotment for me. I can't access it until all the officialdom has been carried out but I'm gathering all my things and cutting up milk bottles into a myriad of different lottie uses. My plot is small and isn't overgrowing as it's been worked. I'm getting a smaller plot that a current holder has been working on. The plot holder has gone for the overgrown plot and I'm pleased. It's massive and a lot of responsibility. I'm just learning so this is an ideal starting point for me. and it's just outside my back door.

Now, I know a bit how to grow on the South coast but I've a lot to learn about growing on a North Eastern hilltop! I'm excited.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 10,779 Posts
    • 149,825 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Fantastic news FUDS, I've just discovered a new set of threads on THE GREENFINGERED MONEY SAVING BOARD which I never knew existed that might come in very handy for you in the next few months, might be worth having a little read xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 214,150 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Congratulations on your allotment, Fuddle! May you have as many happy hours playing in the dirt as I do.

Two serious and life-long conditions of my own, one life-threatening (I'll keep that confidential because it's rather rare and might be a RL identifier) and celiac disease have both been found almost by accident.

As in found by investigations ordered up by registrars, one in a big teaching hospital, one in my GP practice this year. One requires constant medication and one can only be managed by a gluten-free diet. I am busily educating myself about a lot of things related to health and words like microbiome are now part of my vocabulary.

Plus I eat unwashed weeds and greens of my organic lottie. I haven't eaten all the fat hen yet, but I'm working on it. Nom nom nom.......
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• maryb
    • By maryb 16th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    maryb
    I would much rather not take any supplements at all but since I refuse to take bisphosphonates for my osteoporosis this seems like a good compromise.

GQ interesting that you mention micro biome - apparently we can synthesise a small amount of K2 in the gut if conditions are right, and fermented foods which apparently are what your gut microbes go crazy for, are also a source. I just wish I had the nerve to try natto - but I don't I'll stick to yogurt and sauerkraut. I'm also interested in trying water kefir to make mildly sparkling drinks - has anyone tried that? And do you pronounce it KEEfer or keFEER?

But it doesn't seem right that supplements are needed. Food ought to do it. And exercise. And general sensible living as you say Mrs L
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 214,150 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    One of the troubles of modern life is that even virtuous veggies have got a fractoin of the nutrients the exact same kind of veggies woulf have had 50+ years ago. Short version is, if the soil is depleted, the plant is depleted and your diet is depleted. Don't take my word for it, this is scientifically proven. You might be eating exactly the same kind of diet as your parents or grandparents, but not getting the same benefit.

One good reason for eating deeply-rooted weeds like dandelion is that they drag nutrients up from the subsoil where the are normally inaccessible to plant roots.

OK, moles stir up the soil layers (who hasn't seen a mole hill in their veggie patch which is a different colour to the soil around it as the sub-soil has been brought up into the top soil? But farming practices kill moles as the plouging slices 'em up, which is why if your garden is surrounded by agricultural land, the moles will be in your garden.

As told to me by a farmer friend, who has an ongoing feud with the moles on his extensive lawns. Latest score was Pal 94 vs Moles 0 (he shoots them, if you were wondering).
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 16th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 29,964 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I make water kefir, maryb, and it's lovely - nicer than anything but ginger beer, which isn't a serious ferment at all, but a grand old Dorset tradition! I generally ferment mine with raisins, lemon, ginger root & sugar, and it tastes pretty much like tart lemonade, and can be almost as fizzy as the ginger beer, which is generally light-the-blue-touchpaper stuff. It's quite quick to make, and the "grains" breed like mad, so I have to keep it in the fridge or we'd be swamped.

Congratulations, Fuddle! We're loving our 'lottie and have brought home some chillis in triumph - ok, they were on the plant when it went in, but they were about 1cm long then & they're 10cm long now! Plus there's a cucumber plumping out nicely, the runner beans have clambered up to the top of their poles and are covered in blossom, and it'll only be a week or two before there's enough Red Russian kale to start picking. There's a LOT of watering to do in this heat, and we're just about furthest away from the pump, but once the (free off Gumtree) shed is up & guttered we can start capturing any water that happens to fall from the sky.
    Angie

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • maryb
    • By maryb 16th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    maryb
    I love ginger beer and that's why I thought water kefir (however you pronounce it) would have the same "real" taste. There's a depth to it you just don't get with HFCS sweetened fizzy drinks
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 18,602 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm told it's pronounced keh-Feeer - and if it tastes like ginger beer, please lay out how in near idiot proof steps?
    I love the stuff but my last attempt exploded. <blush>
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 17th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Hello all,

Popping in to say that I'm just going back and reading the thread with glee. I'm not much of a prepper if at all, unless having jam stored is counted? We never have problems over here with electric/water and if we do they seem to be fixed within a couple of hours and it's normally at work when you don't notice. What I am wanting to prep for is generally a loss of job (just encase) and also I want to get into the old style of living. Foraging for food, growing my own, making do ect ect. So hoping to get a few good tips
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 49,501 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Welcome to the thread, simplelivingcottage.
    When you say "over here", are you outside the UK?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 214,150 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Welcome to the madhouse, my dear, we're a friendly bunch of nutters and between us probably know the answers to questions which are so bizarre that you haven't even thought of them yet.

I'm often amazed that many of our fellow workers haven't anything put by for a rainy day in respect of redundancy, illness etc. Obvs, if each and every month sees you only just able to keep the wolf from the door and there is nothing to spare, there's nothing to be done but keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. But if there is some give in the budget, you really need to sock some money away, even if it means doing without a few fun things like nights out, techy toys, brand new clothes etc.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 13,912 Posts
    • 129,222 Thanks
    mardatha
    We had an "incident" here on Sat night. We have a big coal burning stove that stays on 24/7 most of the year., apart from sweltering heatwaves which at this height in Scotland come around once in every ten years if we're lucky.. has been warm but with a cool wind for days here. Anyhow the fire has been kept on as it gives gallons and gallons of very hot water.
    Sat night we noticed the heating seemed to be stuck on, as the pump kept going. The radiators were red hot (and so was I) - then we found there was no hot water from the taps, it was stone cold. In over 40 years with coal fired heating I've never had that happen before. So we phoned the HA emergency number, to find the only person on call was a JOINER. Really handy, just what we needed! He phoned around and got somebody to phone us, and that somebody was a GAS FITTER (even better!)
    Few years ago a back boiler in a house in the next village exploded and I believe a lady was killed, or died after being badly burned. So I wasnt happy at all. Luckily I shouted on FB in a couple of groups and got somebody who lived in the Borders here and had the same kind of heating, her hubby said it was ok. But in the meantime the poor RV had to try his best to empty a load of burning coal and hot embers out of the stove into a pail, and carry that outside. We burn anthracite and it was fumey as hell and very hot.
    So after the fire and the drama died down, I was thinking in bed. What if that boiler had been ready to blow? If we had a few minutes to grab stuff and run? W would have to go here to grab the RV's emergency fund of cash, and there for mine. We would have had to go here for the RV's pills and there for mine.
    We only have a cardboard cat carrier which is in a cupboard behind a unit that has to be moved to get into it.
    I need to rethink how things are kept in this house!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 17th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 29,964 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    DFV, you need some water kefir grains to start with - if you're on FB, there's a UK Fermenting Friends group where you can see whether anyone near you has some to give away & they'll tell you what they've been "fed" on. If not, PM me and I'll set some aside to send to you.

Hello & welcome, simplelivingcottage! We all prep for different scenarios - some of us for the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI) complete with zombie invasions, some for being unable to get to the shops for a few days, and most of us for something in between! Jam is a very good start...

Any allotmenteers care to give me a little advice? The couple on the plot next to us are sweethearts, but seem to me a little - overanxious? They are serious gardeners, do the Open Gardens thing at home for charity, and she's done several RHS courses. They are double-digging & sieving every inch of their plot before planting, which is probably very sensible (yes, we've double-dug too, and hauled out anything that looked remotely alive. Or interesting.) but when they do get around to planting anything they're constructing big tunnels of net curtain over it. Over everything, not just brassicas & carrots. That's their choice & I don't have a problem with it, but she's been telling me that I should cover everything too, in case I attract carrot fly or butterflies onto the site (which adjoins open fields) then everyone will be cross with me! Am I letting the side down by only covering my cabbages? Or is this actually a little over the top?
    Angie

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 214,150 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I think it's probably a sign of OCD, frankly. Difficult to handle to their satisfaction, unless you do exactly as they want it done, because that's the only way they'll be happy.

I confess to never having sieved soil in my life, my pov is that I'm a gardener not an archaeologist. I pull out grubs (onto the bird table) and naff things like glass, nails, bits of metal and carpet underlay, and troublesome things like naughty roots (chiefly the horsetails and bindweeds).

Gardening is a hard pastime for the control freak as there are so many vairables. I don't bother growing carrots at all as they're cheap enough and every flying and crawling critter seems to want to eat them. Perhaps you could not try not growing some contentious items to humour them?

I detest seeing nature all done up in nets, it really wicks me off.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 87,184 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thrifty if it's the couple that were up from me but on the front they have their garden fence backing on to weeds galore. Not once did I see them pop round the back to help keep the footpath clear on our estate. Just saying
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 13,184 Posts
    • 36,076 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ...and one little thought-of thing of being prepared for emergencies = always try to keep the housework bang up to date.

Reason being - it's just when "other things" have distracted you from it that an emergency comes up requiring a workman coming in at once (plumber in my case).

Thankfully - said plumber was round within the hour and it didn't take him long to sort it out and all was back to normal in that respect. Equally thankfully he's the one I've decided to adopt as my "little man" in the plumber department.

But, at the exact same time - there were a total of 3 other minor emergency type situations at once. This was topped-off by the phone going off and so I answered it (thinking it was one of the "minor emergencies") and it was one of those **** spammer phonecalls (her ears are probably still vibrating from how hard/fast I whacked that phone back down again the second I realised it wasnt for "me").

Guess I really should take a leaf out of my mothers book in a couple of respects (not many - but just that odd couple) and you can walk into her house at any given moment and everything is clean/tidy/in order and she could pack up their lives and go in a matter of days. I tell myself that I'm in very different circumstances - as she was an Armed Forces wife (and hence there was a number of moves - as I was moved too due to being their child).

I don't need to go to the extent she did/does - as I would never have married into the Armed Forces anyway. But I could do with moving a bit towards always always always having all paperwork bang up square/all housework bang up square/all unused possessions gone out the door/etc/etc.

Oh well - the plumber has seen the house and me looking utter tip and "been and gone" now
    ploughing my own furrow...

No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 17th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 29,964 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Fuddle, these two are recent retirees down from the Home Counties, who live in the next village to the South but couldn't get a plot there. Bless them, they're trying very hard to adhere to the "no herbicides, no pesticides" rule (unlike a lot of other plot-holders) but still want every vegetable to be to show-winning standard! Short of camping down there (also forbidden) and hand-picking every insect off, I think they may be in for the odd disappointment.

GQ, I suspect that would only work if I didn't actually grow any plants at all! I'm not going to deliberately antagonise her, but I shall carry on doing my own thing, with a smile and a cheery word. Stuff is currently growing very well, and I know that we'll lose some one way or another, but other things will make up for that.
    Angie

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 18,602 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Er, yes, keeping the place tidy in case of emergencies - it really is embarrassing (& sadly not fatal) to have to tell the gas man that you've emptied this cupboard for him, (which is why the kitchen table looks like an explosion in a plastic bag factory with some oddities dotted to add colour), that if he wants a brew to say & if he needs help to Yell as we'll be two floors away...

I've not forgotten *clearing* floors into boxes & cupboards & under beds before the fire folk came to do a free risk assessment. We got a free smoke detector & a thoughtful grin that of course stuff under beds is still flammable... If blushes caused fires, I'd be homeless. Still, we scored bonus points for clear uncluttered stairs & hallway, making evacuation easier - both us walking out & them coming in to carry us out.

I couldn't live Army tidy. One of my sons could, (I suspect!), but not me. I like to spread out as I think, putter off for a brew, and shamble back to the thinking but get another perspective by approaching from another angle... (I might be OK in a submarine if I had it all to myself. Shared with a full crew? Not a hope.) Not tripping over stuff is more of a challenge! [Note to self, move car emergency bag back into car. Not so much use in the hall.]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

3,208Users online

Martin's Twitter