Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 227
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    How terribly sad that if TS really did hit TF then quite likely the internet would be down and possibly never be available again and who would there be to scoff at and ridicule then? How thirsty would an individual have to be to contemplate using stored water??? how far from civilisation with no lighting and no help would they have to be to be grateful that at least they had one of the tiny tyred spare wheels and a manual jack and spider brace to change the punctured wheel with and perhaps manage to complete the journey, OR that individual could just sit and laugh at anyone who did either of those things while civilisation went down around their ears like the Titanic.....and the band played on .....
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 9th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Mrs LW as usual I agree with you, it's obvious plenty of so-designated influential people are spending their spare millions on bunkers, remote farms, helicopters etc. That will leave the rest of us coping as best we can amid the S left behind when they withdraw. Being aware, thinking ahead, learning skills, and not being upset by nastiness will be part of coping.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It is and always has been the way of the world Shropshirelass, the rich have and the rest of us have not but even if those who can afford to do it dig themselves into their purpose built hideaways no one can possibly store enough of anything to last for a lifetime and sooner or later they will have to come out and back into the mess that's left behind after whatever event causes it, then they'll be considerably worse off than anyone who has managed to get through the aftermath because it will all be alien to them and they won't actually KNOW what prevails outside their cocoon, I wouldn't give much for their chances would you?

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm amused about the super rich buying refuges etc. Perhaps they are about to suddenly master the arts of domesticity and defence, of farming and livestock rearing, of building maintenance and engineering, of sailing the superyacht and navigation?

If you have shedloads of money in a functioning economy, you have possibly the greatest force magnifier you can have. The key words are functioning economy because, if there is no such thing, how will the wealthy person command the services of the technically-skilled, the practically-minded or the physically imposing? Who will look after a billionnaire post SHTF? What would be their motivation?

I can see a superyacht's crew jettisoning the rich old man overboard and sailing off with the party girls, the bodyguards realising they haven't been paid and will never be paid, and putting a bullet through their captain of industry, the entitled ending up having to bring something genuinely useful to the party or being regarded as so much ballast (or even as long pork)

A pal of mine working for a FTSE 100 company has droll tales of the ineptitude of members of the board, seemingly incapable of doing the most basic tasks without minions waiting on them hand-and-foot. While the stock market rides high, they are persons of importance, but all things end.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 14,483 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    A friend's daughter was in a horrible car accident and her life was saved because someone passing by had a fire extinguisher in his car, passed it to her as smoke poured out of her car to spray all around while they were trying to pry open her door to get her out. They had just managed to free her and get some distance from the car when it burst into flames.

There had been discussion here in the past as to the validity of keeping an extinguisher in our cars, so here is a great example of why it's important to be prepared. The responding emergency crew felt the car would have caught fire sooner without the foam and it would have meant her life. As it is, she has internal injuries and multiple broken bones...but she will survive. Hallelujah!

Waves from New Mexico!!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 51,728 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    mila!!!!!!! How lovely to "see" you. We wondered if you and your family were okay. So sorry to hear about your friend's daughter, but glad it wasn't even worse in the end.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    jk0
    Welcome back Mila. We've missed you.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,272 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for letting us know, mila - concrete examples help all of us.
    Retired August 2016
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Jul 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 51,728 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Are you doing ok jk0? Been thinking of you and the doorbell x
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    jk0
    Are you doing ok jk0? Been thinking of you and the doorbell x
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Thanks Ivyleaf. Yeah, no nocturnal disturbances this week, other than the heat. That seems to wake me every couple of hours anyway.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 51,728 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thanks Ivyleaf. Yeah, no nocturnal disturbances this week, other than the heat. That seems to wake me every couple of hours anyway.
    Originally posted by jk0
    oh, that's good news
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm in the reverse situation.

Buggalugs won't tolerate any other animals, be they dogs, cats or whatever.

She's had a set-to, with pretty much every other animal in the street.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I've got a friend with a cat like that. Woe betide any other cat that comes anywhere near what she regards as her territory. They're all a good bit bigger than she is - but that doesn't stop her having a set-to with them if they stray into "her territory".

I think they've seen the error of their ways by now and don't do so any more - thankfully for my friends finances (considering how often she had to take her cat off to the vet for the latest set of injuries).
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Interesting little article on oil on the newsfeed today stating that shale oil and variants aren't enough to plug the gap when conventional oil supplies are failing and that 'finds' of new conventional oil are down by 50% over the last 4 years, this from Armaco (the Saudi Arabian Oil Co). I know the idea of an oil peak is to say the least controversial and seen by many as a 'non event' but ecologists have been saying for quite some time now that we're on the overhang of the cliff that humanity is driving hell for leather off the edge of and I wonder just a little if we might be reaching the beginnings of less available oil and all the products that come from it?

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 10th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 30,619 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I know the idea of an oil peak is to say the least controversial and seen by many as a 'non event'
    ...but isn't it rather interesting that Volvo are planning to switch to only producing hybrid & electric vehicles? An indication of which way they think the wind is blowing, not just a "consumer preference"?
    Angie

GC Oct17 £448.79/£430 - oh bother!

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    jk0
    Ah, frankly I don't think I'll be buying a Volvo then. I think the change is more to do with governments cracking down on fossil fuel cars.

I changed to a diesel car about ten years ago, as they were the cheapest to run. Touch wood, I have not had any accidents in it. I think part of that is due to it being so noisy, that people are more aware of it.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think the idea of 'Peak Oil' has been ridiculed so much by governments and industry across the globe that people don't believe in it any longer in the same way that 'climate change' is not a real thing because even the American President doesn't believe in it and with all those scientific advisers to 'advise' him who would know better??? Steven Hawking for one saying humanity has 1 century in which to find a way to hop off this planet or it's curtains for all of us. I know whose measured opinion I would rather believe, I'd much rather NOT have to hear what he's saying but I'm not much good at singing La La La I'm not listening!!!

Been thinking, always bad I hear you say.....but what if it is true? what if the oil we've taken for granted for many years now, that feeds us, that allows us to travel, that makes our medicines, plastics, fertilizers, etc. was gradually less available and more expensive year on year, what alternatives are there and how could we future proof ourselves so we didn't feel the pinch as badly as others???
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 10-07-2017 at 7:16 PM.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If one assumes Stephen Hawking is correct (which he may or may not be....who knows...)

then how does he think we would differentiate anyway between those people who would only busily start polluting and over-populating any poor unfortunate planet that had us emigrating to it on the one hand v. those who would try and be responsible and take care of it and not make the same mistake twice on the other hand? Followed by only taking the latter category to New Home Planet..
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I think we've collectively been pumping more oil than replacement supplies have been discovered since about 1964, so Peak Oil is here and now. Whether billions of people are prepared to believe in it or not is irrelevent, you can't extract infinite resources from a finite planet.

But no one wants to be the party-pooper who stands up and says to the world; Y'know what, dudes? Industrial society as we know it is slip-sliding away. It can go faster or slower, depending on our actions, but it's going bye-bye.

I think Mr Hawking is barking up the wrong tree with this one. Humanity won't achieve escape velocity from Planet Earth. This little blue ball in infinate space is all we have and all we will ever have, and we need to get over ourselves and stop being such disrespectful house-guests.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'd believe Steven Hawking over most people, he's got a brain like no other and a grasp of his science and most other peoples that is seen very rarely in humanity. I don't think I'd take the word of an unscientific layman who doesn't believe in climate change over someone as intelligent and forward thinking as Mr. Hawking. I also don't have a clue how humanity is actually going to be able to leave within a century and even less of a clue as to exactly where they'd go. I'm never going to be on the invitation list so to me it's a case of make the best of life you can while you're still alive and the future is for the younger folks to fathom.

I'm not sure anyone could sort the 'sheep from the goats' in humanity only that those who were chosen go would have to have much more to offer a newly formed society than riches or birth status. There are bad apples in every barrel and they'd have to be very sure of the stock they export and those who go along as shepherds.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 10-07-2017 at 7:38 PM.

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It takes an incredible amount of energy to lift anything into space, and the energy is going to be the problem, not the quality of the estimable Mr Hawking's intellect.

And there is the small matter of having anywhere else to go. But the highest of the elites will surely try it but they will probably die interesting deaths.

I'd imagine the future to have rather more in common with steam punk than with star trek.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter