Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 217
    • southantrim3
    • By southantrim3 19th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    southantrim3
    Ok, so how many "terror" attaacks have we had in the last couple of months - along with a malware attack which affected mainly the NHS along with others. Also not forgetting the BA computer meltdown issue...

What is going on, I'm surprised this thread is quiet(sih) compared to what is was a few years ago - there seems to be something going on and we still haven't reach the apex of whatever that is or am I just being a drama queen....
    Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 19th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 29,573 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Southantrim, no, you're quite right. The thing is, though, that people are becoming conditioned to accept these things as part of everyday life, whether that's intentional or just incidental. Witness the business on the Tube last year that my girls were caught up in; more than 20 Tube stations evacuated & closed, streets gridlocked, & nothing moving northbound on the main lines for 4 hours, and apparently that was just down to "overcrowding" and is an almost-everyday event. We were living up there during the !RA bombing campaign and it certainly wasn't like that then. The infrastructure must be creaking at the seams and close to bursting, but it's happened quite gradually, so people really haven't noticed that things seem to be going downhill quite rapidly.
    Angie

GC 06/17: £250/£500
    BulkBuy Purse 2017:£328.40/£420

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 19th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 27,791 Thanks
    pineapple
    I don't think you are being a drama queen southantrim. So many bad things seem to be happening just now, I am almost frightened to switch on the news. As for our government, I know Theresa May won't have many friends on these boards, but, along with the party political infighting and Brexit looming, I have to wonder just how much a leader can take. I wonder if she regrets taking the reins?
    Years back I read a theory (on some crazy website) about time speeding up with a graph showing how major events previously spread over many years were now being replicated in a shorter and shorter time span. It's probably all nonsense but that is how it is beginning to feel.
    Last edited by pineapple; 19-06-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    • loveabargain2014
    • By loveabargain2014 19th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    loveabargain2014
    Help! I cant see how to post a new thread. I need help with an American visa app and I think Ive filled all my details in on a shyster site. Not paid anything but worried about my information! Mega newbie here. Even watched a Youtube about posting and still non the wiser! Why is it so complicated on here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 27,485 Posts
    • 149,253 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Help! I cant see how to post a new thread. I need help with an American visa app and I think Ive filled all my details in on a shyster site. Not paid anything but worried about my information! Mega newbie here. Even watched a Youtube about posting and still non the wiser! Why is it so complicated on here
    Originally posted by loveabargain2014
    Don't worry! It's complicated because its so big, there are literally thousands of posters on here at any one time. Follow this link: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    That should take you to the Travel Board of this forum. There's a list of 5 sub-boards, and immediately underneath that, there's an oblong blue button saying New Thread. Push that, follow the directions, and you'll be starting a new thread on that part of the forum. They'll help you, hopefully

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 19th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 27,791 Thanks
    pineapple
    Originally posted by loveabargain2014
    Seems to me your issues would fit in several different sections. You could simply go to Discussion and click on New Thread.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 27,485 Posts
    • 149,253 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Here we go with another vehicle attack. Personally I wouldn't file it under terrorism but at the very least it means the likes of ISIS are winning.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    To my mind, it's a terror attack because it's indiscriminate violence aimed against ordinary people just going about their business. It comes from the opposite wing of individual politics from ISIS, I should think, but that doesn't mean it's not terror.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 27,485 Posts
    • 149,253 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I don't think you are being a drama queen southantrim. So many bad things seem to be happening just now, I am almost frightened to switch on the news.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I noticed the same thing last week, pineapple, absolutely.

Years back I read a theory (on some crazy website) about time speeding up with a graph showing how major events previously spread over many years were now being replicated in a shorter and shorter time span. It's probably all nonsense but that is how it is beginning to feel.
    The velocity of events, like the velocity of money, yes! It's certainly not a summer of no-news, is it
    Retired August 2016
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 11,992 Posts
    • 213,785 Thanks
    greenbee
    Don't worry! It's complicated because its so big, there are literally thousands of posters on here at any one time. Follow this link: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    That should take you to the Travel Board of this forum. There's a list of 5 sub-boards, and immediately underneath that, there's an oblong blue button saying New Thread. Push that, follow the directions, and you'll be starting a new thread on that part of the forum. They'll help you, hopefully

Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    and in the meantime - this is the correct site if you need an ESTA rather than a full visa. I've just renewed mine for the grand sum of something like $14
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 27,485 Posts
    • 149,253 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Even better
    Retired August 2016
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 48,561 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Apparently the malware attack originated in North Korea, but last I read (a few days ago) it was thought it could simply have been a moneymaking venture that got out of hand, as none of the Bitcoins paid into the requested account had been retrieved.

It is a horrible time though. I find myself waiting for the next thing.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 19th Jun 17, 3:57 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    maryb
    I have one of those Lonchamp type bags which you could lose a small country in. In Primark one day, queuing at the till when I caught sight of a display of handbag organisers - for £2.50!!!

It's brilliant, fits the bag nicely and has got lots of useful size pockets and dividers. I haven't once had to unpack the whole bag to find something sculling around at the bottom since buying it

I'm not into handbags dahlings. But if I were, it's got two small handles which mean you can just lift it out and dump the whole thing in another bag

Guess what the DDs are each getting in their stocking this C.....mas (too early in the year to say that word out loud)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 19th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    maryb
    Meant to say, you could probably fit it in the front pocket of a backpack depending on size. Good for school kids I would have thought as well
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 148,164 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I have a small survival tin which lives in the tiny front pocket compartment of my day sack, not the small pocket but the one outside it! I never leave home without it and if I swap to the one handbag that languishes on the bottom of the wardrobe the tin comes out with me. If we were to be caught up in something untoward it contains all we'd need to get to safety if we could get away from the immediate problem including a diamond saw capable of cutting through metal, it's surprising just what you can cram into a very small container if you pack it properly.

We live in very challenging times, we as a nation have seen the longest period of continuous stability over the past 70 years that has led us to feel safe and we've perhaps become a little complacent because of that, only small blips of wars that have been shocking but remote and we're not yet conditioned to these atrocities happening right here, right now in random places out of the blue. Not turning on the news won't stop them from happening, turning on the news won't stop them from happening, they are going to happen whatever we do or don't do because there is evil in this world and men, women and even children who are conditioned and brainwashed into believing their actions are 'right, just and justifiable' no matter the magnitude of them and the results of what they do, no matter how many lives are lost, destroyed or irrevocably changed because of injury. Actions of hatred like the van attack last night are deplorable but so were all the others and the bombings, and the beheadings, stoning to deaths, and the slavery and killing people who are disabled, too old, no use to the terrorists and peoples feelings run high, feeling hatred on all sides is inevitable. What we need is now to all stand together with the other peaceful citizens of the UK and the world and NOT let these actions of the few colour our emotions and make any one of us act rashly, in anger and in hate. Now is when we need unity regardless of colour, creed or race because we are all humans beings each and every one of us no one better or more or less worthy than any other we are brothers and sisters in a bigger way than family ties and we will be stronger by standing together and we will prevail. We need to stay in touch with what happens good or bad or we stand in danger of being in ignorance of any developments in the method of attack and that renders us less safe than we could be.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 6,973 Posts
    • 17,147 Thanks
    Anglea
    Ok, so how many "terror" attaacks have we had in the last couple of months - along with a malware attack which affected mainly the NHS along with others. Also not forgetting the BA computer meltdown issue...

What is going on, I'm surprised this thread is quiet(sih) compared to what is was a few years ago - there seems to be something going on and we still haven't reach the apex of whatever that is or am I just being a drama queen....
    Originally posted by southantrim3
    A couple of days ago I thought to myself that it's highly possible something bad will happen in London shortly and hoped I was wrong. The reason for this is that I've noticed over the years that often when there is a lot of concentrated negative focus on an area, more things will occur. The media have gone OTT about the suspects in the terrorist coverage in previous weeks and months and have much smaller coverage about the positives eg people who have helped others, those who survived. Plus all the daily good things that happen in London are rarely mentioned.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 148,164 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Good news doesn't sell papers or draw in viewers anything like as much as a good disaster as long as it's happened to someone else other than the reader/watcher, it's just people love. What I find loathsome is the continuous playing of the same film clip for hours on end which somehow seems to magnify the event to even greater proportions than it actually is and some of the events are pretty horrid with only the one showing aren't they? until the next item of news comes along that is deemed more newsworthy than an atrocity and real lives being lost when the original story disappears beneath the air waves and is not referred to again. Peoples lives and fates are worth so much more than being the latest 'headline' in an attempt to attract a viewing public.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 20th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 128,256 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think we've moved another step nearer the edge of that cliff. And we've also been lulled into the tiredness and blunted wits that comes with a long period of readiness for trouble. It doesn't mean trouble has gone away, it just means we've got tired and bored and stepped back.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 20th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 48,561 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I've got The Wright Stuff on and they're talking about there being a shortage of electric fans in the shops. It happens every time there's a heatwave! We have 2 tower fans, one in the living room and one in the bedroom and DS has a smaller tower fan in his room. I doubt we'd have got much sleep the last few nights without them. They're getting a bit creaky now though!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 148,164 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Perhaps we should put together a list of possibilities, a list of events that might potentially happen in the nearer future that will necessitate being prepared in a 'Prepping' sense. That will focus minds in a way that tossing ideas around amongst like minded acquaintance doesn't and will maybe re-kindle the mindset that got us thinking in the first place?

I worry about terrorist events and being in the wrong place at the wrong time but a bigger worry for me is a weather event that disrupts power supplies, communication lines and the ability of the rescue authorities to deal with the consequences as they are too widespread and effect far too many head of people. A heavy snowfall like we occasionally get followed by a period of freezing and renewed snow. That's the thing I like to be ready for and have in enough wood, water, food etc. to see us through without needing outside help.

Over to you.....

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 5,672 Posts
    • 86,343 Thanks
    fuddle
    For me it's still about DH losing his job, we lose our home, there's no money for food and we can't heat the house or have hot water.

I prep for occasional blips in electricity and occasional snowed-in-ness.

The bigger stuff I watch and keep an eye on but I can't change any of that. If I get caught up in something then it was my time to go. I'll do whatever I can to try not to get caught up but ultimately I want to just live my life as best as I can and as happy as I can.

I'd be interested to hear what people thought might be around the corner. I think "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get", Forrest Gump 1994 2017 is the same, just different.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

9,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin