Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 215
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 15th Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 29,411 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Karmacat, I think I'd be worried about them melting... though I suppose they'd be better than nothing, which is the point, rather.
    Angie

GC 06/17: £250/£500
    BulkBuy Purse 2017:£328.40/£420

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 27,375 Posts
    • 148,196 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That would be horrendous, of course. But if the air was hot enough to melt plastic on our faces, the area could well be too hot to get through. Or if somebody forced themselves to run through in any case, they'd have plastic burned onto their skin but their eyesight may still be saved

God, isn't it horrible to think about it? And we still don't know how many died in that inferno? The live update thread at the Guardian is saying the structure is unsafe.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 15th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 9,552 Posts
    • 50,154 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I'm not sure if the pattern of a fire would enable it to leap from tower to tower, in such a situation?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    By "fairly close", I'm talking a couple of hundred feet or so.

IIRC, you live in a tower block yourself.

Have you considered getting yourself a Last Resort Parachute?
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 213,412 Thanks
    greenbee
    Given that GQ has frequently mentioned that her flat is at risk of flooding, I think she'll be OK without a parachute...
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 145,637 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Last resort snorkel and flippers? and a towel!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 211,925 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    BB, I am in a groundfloor flat, the drop from the (openable) part of my windows to the wee patch of grass outside is - pauses to check with tape measure - 48 inches. Or level with the middle of my rib-cage. I think I can safely drop that distance.

Re goggles as eye-protection, if it's hot enough to melt them on your face, your face will also be melting. There is an updated (as in updated post-Grenfell) article on the happypreppers website about this very issue. One of the takeaways is a pure woollen blanket per household member as a cloak to shelter you as you escape from a burning building but it mustn't be wetted as the wetness will increase conductivity of heat.

I'm sure I'm not unique in confirming this IRL by using her own oven-gloves before they were fully dried after laundering. Oww!

The fire brigade have told the council here to ban external doormats outside the doors of flats, much to the disgust of many tenants, and with much complaining and failures in compliance. The reason is that the fire brigade know what happens in fires - the mats melt and adhere to the feet of running residents as they evacuate. Obvs, a pure coir mat (coconut fibre) would smoulder not melt, but a lot of coirs have some element of rubber in them today, from personal experience.

I have some hopes that compliance may be better as tower dwellers (and flat dwellers in general) are scared s**tless about what they've seen. We have no cladded tower blocks here, thank gawd.

I have been hunting for my light-weight BOB-footwear-to-be at a TK Maxximoose and have found several contenders by big name sporting goods manufacturers. Unfortunately, as is often the case with this store, they didn't sell at full retail for a good reason; disgusting lurid colours. I will continue to haunt the premises and hope for something of a more restrained hue which also meets my criteria; very light weight, small pack-size, laces and could (in a pinch) be acceptable at my very low-key workplace environment.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• jk0
    • By jk0 16th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 22,256 Thanks
    jk0
    I don't think I'd be worrying about the colour of the shoes in my bug out bag GQ. If you'd just been burnt out of your flat, I think your colleagues would forgive clashing colours.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 16th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    Witless
    http://www.peacocks.co.uk/146469.html

Not Maximus, not lace up, but these are my choice of 'grab & go'.

Discrete enough for work wear in emergency, good in the wet & more comfortable than they look: I have no problem driving in them. (Unfortunately I paid full price pre sale - all of £5)
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 211,925 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I don't think I'd be worrying about the colour of the shoes in my bug out bag GQ. If you'd just been burnt out of your flat, I think your colleagues would forgive clashing colours.
    Originally posted by jk0
    I play the long game, these shoes will be in the BOB but will rotate out of the BOB to be used in everyday life before they die of natural causes, so not wanting electic peach (bleugh!), shocking pink, scarlet or bright blue is a factor in my decision-making.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 16th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 13,783 Posts
    • 127,470 Thanks
    mardatha
    I dono, they might be just the thing. In thick smoke or darkness we could all just follow Greyqueen's feet
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jun 17, 8:45 AM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 211,925 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I dono, they might be just the thing. In thick smoke or darkness we could all just follow Greyqueen's feet
    Originally posted by mardatha

I'll go for the fluro green ones with LED lights in the heels in that case, hey?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 27,375 Posts
    • 148,196 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was just going to put the post number on and the relevant bit of the post shall I make a separate record of the contributors so we can put a list of acknowledgement in at the beginning or end of the document?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Mrs LW, sorry, I only just read this paragraph (I read the other two, not this one ) I've been going back through the last few days and pasting fire precautions for myself!

I can't do it the way you're describing now, as I've been amalgamating some posts - a half dozen words need to be put with something similar, for my own sense of tidiness . I don't think thanks to each contributor are necessary - "to all on the XXX thread on mse" of course. Naming some and not others seems to be asking for trouble, but some people contribute such a lot it seems a shame not to mention them.

What do others think?
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 145,637 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You're absolutely right KARMA I'll just extract the relevant bits and make loose collections of them if that makes any sense to Thrifty who looks like being the co-ordinator.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 16th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 22,256 Thanks
    jk0
    That reminds me...

Remember my friend's son who was left home alone recently? I had to take him to football practice last year, and was surprised to see he had pink football boots. Poor lad! I bet those were the cheapest in the shop.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 6,750 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Some of my Scouts wear very lurid trainers - I think some Big Name Players have been snapped wearing them & that makes it OK then. For a very defined value of OK! That said, whenever a parent asks about camp blankets I'm adamant that only real wool will do - scouts routinely are associated with fire & thus fleece is massively not the right answer, not any wool blend.

At work, we've been getting Post Manchester advice, including things which may seem blinking obvious but possibly bear repeating like
    leave spare house keys w neighbour/friend
    be certain work has a contact no
    always carry essential medication
    keep a separate list of mobile numbers in case your phone dies
    have alternative arrangements for children, relatives & pets
    etc. Left me thinking so how do I carry my bunch of keys around the building with me, as the car key is almost as important as the phone...

I've been tasked with updating the team business continuity plan - if we have out laptops & work phones with us, disasters can happen & we will be expected to carry right on working from pretty much anywhere. However our Central Emergency phone line is as much use as a felt teapot & lugging a laptop has all the appeal of backache.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 16th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 25,271 Thanks
    short_bird
    "...or a hurricane going thru downtown Houston would drop so much glass from towers that the streets would be buried 20 ft deep in shards. Nothing living would survive that."
    Checks hurricane season in Texas again; heading off there later in the year when the weather is more reasonable.

I moved out of a tower block in 2014 and remember the kerfuffle about requests in 2010 to remove all items from hallways. Certain floors, as they'd all moved in during the 60's, had colonised the landings by the lifts with rugs and side tables, plastic flowers and large plants, pictures... heaps of stuff guaranteed to melt.

Only 3 floors up but checking my escape routes and fire extinguishers. Oh! and if the landlord extinguishers have been checked yearly.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 34,188 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Mrs LW, sorry, I only just read this paragraph (I read the other two, not this one ) I've been going back through the last few days and pasting fire precautions for myself!

I can't do it the way you're describing now, as I've been amalgamating some posts - a half dozen words need to be put with something similar, for my own sense of tidiness . I don't think thanks to each contributor are necessary - "to all on the XXX thread on mse" of course. Naming some and not others seems to be asking for trouble, but some people contribute such a lot it seems a shame not to mention them.

What do others think?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Best not to name individual contributors imo.

It would create problems if any individual contributors had been missed off - as to why they had been missed off. The "thanks" game does get used/abused on MSE rather a lot - "political" thanking of friends and deliberate non-thanking of others.

So "To all on the XXX thread" seems appropriate and would avoid "politics" (aka "asking for trouble").
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 211,925 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Our council regularly have to go head-to-head with tenants who think it's acceptable to store mopeds and motorbikes, pots of paint, stacks of cardboard on the communal landings and in/ under the stairwells, as well as littering the area with pushbikes and baby buggies. Not even to mention stringing linen lines across the landings............ and the doormats and potted plants etc etc.

I'd bet anything that the heads of housing departments/ housing associations across the land are calling their minions in and instigating a zero-tolerance policy for clutter in communal areas, going forward. Expect a lot of Misc Provisions Notices being served...........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Perplexed Pineapple
    • By Perplexed Pineapple 16th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 6,220 Thanks
    Perplexed Pineapple
    Thinking about it, the single most useful think I could take if we had to escape from a fire would be my keys. With my keys, I could access my car. A miscellaneous collection of kit lives semi-permanently in the back of my car, including blankets, water, at least some food, of course the car itself is shelter of a sort and we could use it to get to friends or family. What I should do is keep some emergency cash concealed in the car somewhere so I had emergency funds for fuel, more food etc and that should be enough to get us through any immediate crisis. Of course if the fire was started by a massive EMP my car might not work but we'd still have the supplies in it. I don't live in a tower block but I do know personally at least 2 families who have been burnt out of ordinary residential houses.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 11,000 Posts
    • 211,925 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    PP, I've heard of preppers who've had some banknotes in an old envelope amidist a lot of other papery carp in their car's glove box, and this has been missed even when the car was broken into and was missed even when the box was rifled. Obvs, if they offski with the whole motor that's not going to be of any benefit.

DigForVictory, when I walk around my very large workplace, if I'm going into a meeting or even to visit the bathroom, I take my shoulderbag with me. I was once enthroned, so to speak, when a fire alarm went off and I had to exit our building far from our own department. Made me think how s****d I would have been if it hadn't been a drill, with my flat's keys, wallet and phone all in a bag under my desk.

If there was an emergency here, being one of the LA's frontline team, I would be working to help serve the public, unless I was injured in such as way as to make it impossible. I would regard it as my duty to be at my post; there ain't that many of us who can work the big-a$$ telephony system, after all.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

8,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin