Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 179
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 6:19 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh yes I do remember your gorgeous puppy, I'm glad you've found him a friend who is also adding fun and probably too much bounce to your lives (I know a few collies) but is undoubtedly totally worth it! We're still walking Cookie and are just beginning to come round to the tiniest fraction of a thought that it might soon be time to think about another houndy pal. We're contemplating moving closer to our daughters and would wait until that had happened until we thought about another boy seriously, He Who Knows wants another lurcher and I would like another Border Terrier so we'll see in the future who comes to make us happy again.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 20th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 39,692 Thanks
    maryb
    Are your daughters fairly close to each other Lyn?

We will downsize in a few years but until the girls are settled we can't really make any plans as to where. Ideally we'd be close to both of them so I can be as helpful as possible to them while I've got my health and strength, and later minimise any inconvenience for them as we get older
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Yes they live west of us by about 2 and a half hours drive but a 40 minute train ride from each other and both look likely to stay put as long as they don't change job. In an ideal world I'd live equidistant from them both but transport isn't good from the midway point so we'd opt for the small city that the elder girl lives in as it's relatively flat and easily walkable to the shops, main line railway station, hospital, bus station and dentist from most central parts of it. There are some nice areas of 1930s/1950s housing mixed in with some Edwardian/Victorian 'villas' all of which have decent gardens (an important factor for us both) and at a price we can afford to pay without having to reduce our capital/savings. It's a big decision to get our heads round but if we ever reach the point of not being able to drive or not being able to afford to run the car as we age it would make great sense to be within easier reach of them both.

Have been bimbling (great word) round the 'net' looking for ideas on savoury rhubarb dishes and found some yummy sounding things so tomorrow will be experimenting with Rhubarb Hummus (apparently tastes like it is made with Sumac) and a Bacon, Rhubarb and Onion Spread which sounds very easy to make and I'll let you know how they turn out. Savoury Rhubarb.....now there's an idea!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 20th Apr 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 39,692 Thanks
    maryb
    It would be a big wrench to not have much land so it's good if you can get a house with a long garden in an area where facilities are accessible. I think that's an often overlooked aspect of planning for old age. I've had some problems with my eyesight so I'm keen to stay within the catchment area for Moorfields and also with good transport so I can get around if I have to stop driving. Though thanks to the fantastic care I've received, things are pretty stable so fingers crossed I won't have to stop. But now I'm no longer doing Mum's taxi my mileage is quite low and I use my bus pass a lot.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 20th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 30,099 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oooh, I've been offered the use of some land to grow vegetables! It's on a smallholding a couple of miles away, and hasn't been in use since last summer, but they want it to stay in good heart. It's just about walkable - and I certainly wouldn't take the van down the last 50 yards or so of the track - but I'd be exhausted by the time I got there, especially if carrying tools! I'd be even happier with an allotment up the road, but lost mine some years back in an admin mix-up & the waiting list is about 20 years. I was offered one 4 miles away, as a replacement...

Anyway, happy to think I can help a good friend out & hopefully produce some top-notch stuff for the family... my friend used to win the county's "giant pumpkin" competition every year without fail, with organically-grown pumpkins on that land. We usually got a share; I still have some pumpkin flour from the last one!
    Angie

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 17, 9:55 PM
    • 27,721 Posts
    • 151,475 Thanks
    Karmacat
    MrsL let us know how it goes with the savoury rhubarb - I like growing fruit because its so easy, but I'm continually trying to think of ways of eating it without adding any sugar.

thriftwizard good luck with the new land.

jamanda welcome back.

maryb probiotic food is *another* thing I want to experiment with. If I let myself be as lazy as today, thats not going to happen any time soon
    Retired August 2016
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 13,968 Posts
    • 129,947 Thanks
    mardatha
    Not sure if I'm going to bother growing much this year, apart from some tatties and maybe leeks. I know it tastes a lot nicer but it takes work, and we just don't have the strength or ooomph to do it any more. We never eat anything exotic anyway and can always get tatties/leeks/turnips/cauli up here cheaply and whether we're in or out of the EU. Plus our 2 ancient sheds are close to collapse so we need to scrap them and buy one bigger new one, and I don't know where to put it yet.
    The RV isn't doing very well just now, he's very worn out and grey. Had a recent day out in Edinburgh and had to get him into a taxi to tbe bus station to get him home, as he was exhausted. Think it's thyroid acting up again, not heart - but it shows me how much I depend on him to do things. Without his strength I'm going to struggle to do stuff.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 21st Apr 17, 7:11 AM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 39,692 Thanks
    maryb
    Oh Mar, I'm so sorry. You've had a rotten time recently. I hope the RV feels better soon. I think you are wise to scale things back.
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 21st Apr 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 12,249 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    EEEK! I'm not with them, but that would worry me. Please let us know how you get on Lilli !
    Originally posted by mardatha
    The Coop 'chat' person said to delete cookies/cache and try again. In deleting said cookies, I accidentally deleted all my automatic log-ins and lost my email/faceache etc.
    I have managed to get back into my online account but a payment in that I was expecting this morning has not arrived so
    Watch this space.....
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Apr 17, 7:45 AM
    • 5,761 Posts
    • 87,572 Thanks
    fuddle
    It's very wise to know your limits and to stay to them. Personally I have struggled with this but I now understand that to take a step back is to take more steps forward.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I also use my bus pass, am eternally grateful that I have a bus pass TO use and try only to use it when it's a necessary journey and not as a 'jolly' ticket. I do see people seemingly using bus passes every time (not regularly on the same day each time) I get on the local bus in either direction. It's a group of ladies of 'a certain age' who seem to be perpetual passengers and the conversation is always about where they can go tomorrow which in my eyes at least is not the purpose bus passes are given for. Should the suggestion that they are withdrawn ever come to fruition I would feel the lack (as no doubt would the pleasure seekers) and it would be very limiting if we didn't have the wherewithal to run the car because Bus Fares are extremely high and would eat up a significant proportion of my weekly housekeeping allowance which would mean a) I'd have less to keep us well fed and cleaned and clothed on and b) I'd have less opportunity to find the YS bargains which give us a more enjoyable standard of living and I'd have to regularly walk the almost two miles in each to the local centre and back carrying what we needed which is OK at the moment but might not be so easily achieved as we get older. I don't think we can rely on having state free transport forever and a day so I'd like to be somewhere that would allow me to walk in for whatever I needed fairly easily, makes sense doesn't it?

• jk0
    • By jk0 21st Apr 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 22,795 Thanks
    jk0
    Dreamt I was in prison
    I had another very disturbing dream last night:

I dreamt I was in prison (remand presumably) for a week on a trumped up charge. Towards the end of the dream, I saw a way to escape by removing window slats, and was going to take it, but I woke up.

Interestingly my sane mind would normally tell me to cooperate and eventually get free by process of law. I guess you never know what you will do until you are cornered.

I am modifying my preps slightly in view of the dream. Fraid I can't tell you here, as my future jailers may be reading.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 27,721 Posts
    • 151,475 Thanks
    Karmacat
    jko I bet a lot of us feel imprisoned sometimes - by age, ill health, poverty, or even by having made a stand for our conscience (I've been in a brush twice because I was a member of a pacifist organisation!). Take care.

The RV isn't doing very well just now, he's very worn out and grey. Had a recent day out in Edinburgh and had to get him into a taxi to tbe bus station to get him home, as he was exhausted. Think it's thyroid acting up again, not heart - but it shows me how much I depend on him to do things. Without his strength I'm going to struggle to do stuff.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    So sorry to hear this Mar, it sounds pretty scary. Especially to be far from home and feeling so unwell.

It's very wise to know your limits and to stay to them. Personally I have struggled with this but I now understand that to take a step back is to take more steps forward.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Agreed. Even this month - I nearly gave myself a setback by trying to go out to do little things three times a week. Too much, much too much. Twice a week is the max for the medium term.

I also use my bus pass, am eternally grateful that I have a bus pass TO use and try only to use it when it's a necessary journey and not as a 'jolly' ticket.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Mrs L, I think you have the right to use it for jollies, I really do. Though I agree with you that living somewhere you can reach the shops on foot is a good thing.

That always varies, though. We get *very* elderly people living on their own nowadays - my mum was 90, had all her faculties, and lived about 15 minutes easy walk from several shops, but she couldn't do that walk there and back, she needed the once-hourly bus. But in terms of people in their 60s, like me, that house would certainly count as accessible in its own right.

If I ever get to that age, I hope supermarket deliveries are still around
    Retired August 2016
    • maryb
    • By maryb 21st Apr 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 39,692 Thanks
    maryb
    Jollies may help some older people stay happy and well and not succumb to isolation and depression which is a real danger for older people living on their own. So I don't mind it being used in that way.

And I do think it helps keep traffic down. In my case I walk one way into town and get the bus back. It's too far to walk both ways but walking is the best thing I can do to increase my sadly inadequate bone density. If I had to pay for bus fares I know, human nature being what it is, I would be tempted to take the car because I could park for about the same money.

But I agree free bus passes have to be an endangered species. I hope they will have the sense to introduce a heavily discounted concessionary season ticket to replace it, reflecting the fairly small marginal cost of use. I think that would be fair
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 5,761 Posts
    • 87,572 Thanks
    fuddle
    I have no problem with folks using their bus passes for jaunts out every now and then but I do feel that abusing the scheme endangers it for those to follow.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm not judging them, I do think you have the right to use these things the way you feel is appropriate but for me the 'moral' if you like is not to abuse what is freely given and I hear them discussing where they can go 'to' use the bus pass and that means fares being paid by the council/government that feasibly could be used for other more important things in the communities we live in. as with Mary if you have the need to use the bus pass to comfortably complete your journey then that is sensible use and necessary use and exactly what the bus pass is given for. To me, and this is a purely personal take, my bus pass is a privilege given at a cost to facilitate an easier life as I age and is not something I would use to get me to the seaside for the day or to use 'because it's there to be used'. Purely me and of COURSE anyone with a bus pass CAN use it as, when and how they like without being judged or censured.

• Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 21st Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    I hope you don't mind me joining in the conversation, but I think this is very relevant to prepping. I'm blessed or cursed with a good memory for some things, and can remember a conversation I had in the 60s with my parents, about why OAPs should have a bus pass. They said after paying bus fares all their lives, old folks were given the pass for free. The same applied to the free TV license. Both have also been used countless times to argue that our pensioners are well-looked after.

The fact that we now are seriously considering the possible loss of these benefits, says it all about how much we can rely on TPTB, and the difficulty of planning ahead.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 21st Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4,789 Posts
    • 50,183 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I also use my bus pass, am eternally grateful that I have a bus pass TO use and try only to use it when it's a necessary journey and not as a 'jolly' ticket. I do see people seemingly using bus passes every time (not regularly on the same day each time) I get on the local bus in either direction. It's a group of ladies of 'a certain age' who seem to be perpetual passengers and the conversation is always about where they can go tomorrow which in my eyes at least is not the purpose bus passes are given for. Should the suggestion that they are withdrawn ever come to fruition I would feel the lack (as no doubt would the pleasure seekers) and it would be very limiting if we didn't have the wherewithal to run the car because Bus Fares are extremely high and would eat up a significant proportion of my weekly housekeeping allowance which would mean a) I'd have less to keep us well fed and cleaned and clothed on and b) I'd have less opportunity to find the YS bargains which give us a more enjoyable standard of living and I'd have to regularly walk the almost two miles in each to the local centre and back carrying what we needed which is OK at the moment but might not be so easily achieved as we get older. I don't think we can rely on having state free transport forever and a day so I'd like to be somewhere that would allow me to walk in for whatever I needed fairly easily, makes sense doesn't it?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    As I understand it, the council that issues the bus passes (in each area, I mean) pays the local bus companies a set amount per person-with-a-bus-pass per year, whether a person-with-a-bus-pass actually uses it a lot or not at all

And hopefully, the more people that use a bus route, the less likely it is to be withdrawn on the grounds that "hardly anyone uses it".

Mar So sorry to hear the RV isn't great atm. Wishing him (and you) well x
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 21st Apr 17, 1:01 PM
    • 13,426 Posts
    • 36,587 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    As I understand it - the basic reason some are given free buspasses is in order to minimise their use of private cars.

Therefore less pollution. Also there will be people that would otherwise have bought a car in the first place deciding they can manage without one - because they can use buses instead. So - less of the worlds raw materials consumed making those cars.

We all of us benefit from there being less pollution.

Add that a happier person is that bit less likely to get ill enough they need drugs/whatever from the NHS and thus money is saved indirectly.

The thought has never crossed my mind to begrudge anyone using their buspass as they see fit (as old age is something that comes to us all - if we live long enough). Disability is another reason why someone might have a buspass - so I'm not going to begrudge a disabled person using a buspass they have either and I think it's perfectly fair enough for those of us that are able-bodied to accept disabled people being able to live their lives that bit more easily/have a little bit of pleasure from them.

What I personally begrudge is when cheaper fares are paid by some because of circumstances of their own choosing and I will be sitting there wishing they would pay full fare for all.

I'm not following the logic of saying people shouldnt have help for circumstances not of their choosing - but it's okay for them to have help for circumstances that are of their choosing
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 21st Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    • 7,004 Posts
    • 18,852 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    On behalf of all
    those mad preppers living in an underground room with a pet woodlouse!!!
    and their woodlice, may I say Hoi!? My woodlice are friendly, supportive & likely to outlive me with their robust health & minimal food intake. They even let me win at Scrabble, which is dashed good of them (husband & sons do not.)

As for bus passes, son currently has one (he may not lawfully apply for a driving licence on health grounds) & pays 50 pence a trip for "peak" journeys (into sixth form). I stump up this sum willingly for his freedom of manoeuvre & suspect many seniors threatened with the absolute might prefer to stump up a similar modest amount -enough to appease the financial calculations without a savage whop to the pocket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

1,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin