Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 178
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 38,795 Thanks
    maryb
    It CAN'T be as bad as the run-up to the referendum, can it? Can it?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 11,988 Posts
    • 213,736 Thanks
    greenbee
    It CAN'T be as bad as the run-up to the referendum, can it? Can it?
    Originally posted by maryb
    Checking into a spa for a digital detox is an appealing prospect right now!
    • daz378
    • By daz378 18th Apr 17, 10:38 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 6,210 Thanks
    daz378
    hi people personal shtf Dad has been ill few weeks now from a robust elderly gentleman lost about 3 stone .... only agreed to see Dr last week put him on calorie shakes antibiotics and will eventually refer him to GI dept in local hospital i have to call every day to make his shakes up and also doing shopping ... as well as my full time job ...thank heavens hes only 15 min walk away.......Started gym today as well orders from my diabetes nurse ...who is my oldest friends ex wife......still prepping took onboard solvinden lamp... trip to ikea next week then. tata for now
    • jk0
    • By jk0 19th Apr 17, 12:00 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,392 Thanks
    jk0
    Sorry to hear about your Dad Daz. I hope it's nothing too serious.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Apr 17, 7:28 AM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 213,131 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, daz, thank goodness you live nearby and are able to help him. Hope that they get to the root cause of the weight loss quickly and restore him to health.

I have 'fond' memories of the run-up to the referendum, with calls coming in from across the planet from angry Brit cits who'd been living overseas (for 30 + years in some cases) and who were reluctant to accept that the 15 year rule meant they couldn't vote.

I don't have telly and only read the bits of the online newspapers which interest me rather than taking dead-tree papers ( although I often get the FT as a cast-off once a week, which is interesting). I forage on left, right and seriously alt news sources and even look at the Daily Fail for s**ts and giggles, but they don't sway my opinion, I just like to know what's being said.

I bet my colleagues in the election office - presently busy with local elections - are just whoop-de-doop at the prospect of an off-piste parliamentary election.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Apr 17, 10:06 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,156 Thanks
    Karmacat
    If I have to watch one more party political broadcast - even from my own party - I will become one of those mad preppers living in an underground room with a pet woodlouse!!!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Make sure the woodlouse is okay!

hi people personal shtf Dad has been ill few weeks now from a robust elderly gentleman lost about 3 stone .... only agreed to see Dr last week put him on calorie shakes antibiotics
    Originally posted by daz378
    Sounds very rough, daz, take care of yourself so you can keep on helping your dad.

As for an election .... wasn't it "not another one" that that woman said? I *so* agree
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Apr 17, 4:25 PM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 147,879 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh God preserve me from politicians!!! we're not a full day into the run up to a general election and I've already had enough of fat pompous pontificating men in dubious suits spouting the party line and being so 'holier than thou' that they ought to be beatified instantly and pushy women of a certain age in matching dress and jacket combinations with flashy jewellery mouthing off at everyone else with their blunt claws out of their silk mittens and vitriol and venom in every false smile and spat word! add in to the mix the media interviewers and analysts with their poison coated large wooden spoons for stirring up the politician stew and I'm off to Mars until June the 9th or at least giving up the news and newspapers.....AAAAAAGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Apr 17, 5:04 PM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 213,131 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Unplug the telly and the radio and get thee onto thine allotment, Lyn! Plenty of worthwhile things to do without paying the slightest bit of attention to the suits, like killing slugs. Come to think of it, there is a certain odious comparison to be made.......

I chuck unaddressed election mail into the recycling. I return-to-sender addressed election mail. I do not open the door to canvassers nor do I allow myself to be waylaid on the city streets by those doing vox pops or trying to buttonhole support for their candidate.

I'm an equal opportunity ignorer of all politcal parties of whatever flavour.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 147,879 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well, I was intending to make jam this afternoon but seem to have lost about an hour and a half after walking that Cookie monster! woke up with a start when He Who Knows came back from a days fishing and I'd left the TV on and the loop was back round to where I'd faded out previously.....IF I'm going to have to watch repeats I'd rather have The Good Life than the news! Allotment it is then!!!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 20th Apr 17, 8:55 AM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 46,888 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. As per usual I've just been catching snippets of news and am heartened that the election has had the result that all the other ills of the world appear to have disappeared/resolved themselves. So no need to worry about N. Korea/Russia/Syria etc any more. We will be ok.

But just in case, keep on prepping. I'm currently pretty much housebound having put my back out a couple of days ago. Have been able to keep myself amused with my stash of craft materials. So prepped of a kind.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) July £345.91 Total £5845.60/£12000

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Apr 17, 9:37 AM
    • 5,660 Posts
    • 86,202 Thanks
    fuddle
    Ah but we need to celebrate democracy and celebrate our ability to make choices! Tell that to the Scots who have been told 'no you cannat'. Ok, I get it and just playing devil's advocate but honestly, to me, it feels like power twisting this game for themselves and no one else.

I'm without an allotment but my neighbour has told me I'll be supplied quite nicely until I do. Nice fella eh?

How did HWKs do fishing Lyn?

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 17, 10:21 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,156 Thanks
    Karmacat
    ... honestly, to me, it feels like power twisting this game for themselves and no one else.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Yup, yup and yup.

Current prepping is two things: the allotment (aka the back garden ) and also, after a recent online conversation, checking on my medical/first aid written information and supplies.
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 2:07 PM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 147,879 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The world is watching, they will continue trying to be 'noticed', every single man and woman of them will be playing up to get the cameras attention on themselves so they can be seen to shout the loudest for their 'Cause'! I naively for most of my life thought politicians were elected to serve the populace and get the best for them and that that was what they spent their days doing.....sadly these days and with the coverage of the bruhaha that is the house of commons it more resembles a cross between the cast of West Side Story on a bad day and a chimpanzees tea party at the Zoo. God only knows when that changed and the purpose of politics became the domination of all other parties and the ridicule of their members but that's what it seems to be today. Interesting Times INDEEDY!!!

FUDS He Who Knows had a nice day out but the fishing wasn't great. He and Malcolm up the road enjoyed the day though so that's OK!

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 147,879 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Prepping for winter has begun.....I've just made and potted up 10 jars of rhubarb and fresh root ginger jam and the jar lids are clicking as they cool and the vacuum forms and making me jump! The next picking of rhubarb will go into some farmhouse chutney in a few weeks time. I'm not going to let anything go to waste this year it will ALL get preserved/frozen/dehydrated/eaten or pickled and will hopefully liven up our food in the cooler weather to come. It will certainly give us something to spread on bread if that's all we can afford won't it?

• jamanda
    • By jamanda 20th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 7,550 Thanks
    jamanda
    Oh thanks for reminding me. I have been busy removing something to plant a new greengage (and a new Bramley apple, having killed the other one). I had totally forgotten about the rhubarb.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 17, 5:19 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,156 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm not going to let anything go to waste this year it will ALL get preserved/frozen/dehydrated/eaten or pickled and will hopefully liven up our food in the cooler weather to come. It will certainly give us something to spread on bread if that's all we can afford won't it?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Exactly how I feel! So much of the edible perennial harvest in my garden has gone to waste in years past no more.

This afternoon, I gave an extra dehydrator session to the blackberry and nettle leaves I did yesterday. Most importantly, I can confirm that dehydrating for storage does *not* destroy whatever is in the nettles that makes them sting it's not quite as bad, but nearly! Never again. GQ has eaten nettle this year - maybe its a crop that just needs to be cooked.

I also had to water around the near edges of the blackcurrant bush so I could pull out the encroaching grass. And realised I'd forgotten that when I started doing this, at the end of January, there were a *lot* brambles that I just cut back, to be dealt with later. Well, this is later there was one huge root that had separated into three brambles, awful! All gone now. As well as cutting back some more box hedging. I *will* have crops, I will
    Retired August 2016
    • jamanda
    • By jamanda 20th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 7,550 Thanks
    jamanda
    My DH and I have always grown some food crops as a "hobby". I told him that now it needs to be serious rather than playing. We have spuds and onions in, winter onions from last year will be ready in a month or two. Will also be planting kidney beans, leeks, spring onions, carrots etc.

We are still eating onions from last year's crop, although they are about done. I also have spring cabbage planted last autumn which will soon be ready.

Like Mrs. LW, everything will be used/frozen/jammed/bottled. I think, regardless of anything else, our prices will be rising quite sharply over the next year or two. I've already noticed increases in basics.

Sorry - I seem to have butted in. Am long time lurker.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 147,879 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    And a welcome contributor too JAMANDA, nice to have you posting with the rest of us, don't lurk M'dear, dip a toe and play with us!!!

• jamanda
    • By jamanda 20th Apr 17, 6:06 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 7,550 Thanks
    jamanda
    Thanks. Have posted occasionally and you may remember I had a lurcher pup who looked like Docky.

However - he growed, and growed. He has turned grey and shaggy and is a bouncy idiot but bootiful. I also found a very neglected collie. They are bestest friends and something of a handful. No doubt what money we save on growing our food will go on toys/chews/bones.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 20th Apr 17, 6:13 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 38,795 Thanks
    maryb
    I'm having a play with making sauerkraut. If it works, I'll try growing some cabbage, though we don't have a huge amount of ground to spare. The bacteria in lacto-fermented food like that are supposed to be the new wonder cure for every ill under the sun yada yada. Not sure about that but it certainly helps the digestion.

On a similar theme I have finally managed to get a decent sourdough starter going. My previous attempts ended with a sinister looking liquid sitting on top of cement and smelling like nail varnish remover. Now I know what I was doing wrong. Firstly, it doesn't actually smell very sour at all and I thought it wasn't doing anything. But if you dip your finger in and taste it you can tell if it's developing a nice sourness. Secondly, throw away much more than the half that they recommend of each feeding when you come to refresh it - you only need about a tablespoonful to feed about 50 grams of flour and 50 grams of water. That smell of nail varnish remover was actually the sign that my starter was starving because I left too much starter for the amount of flour I was adding when I refreshed it.

I've made some very successful loaves in a big Le Creuset used as a Dutch oven - the steam makes all the difference. But my favourite has to be ciabatta and ciabatta loaves. Very quick (well as quick as sourdough gets) and easy and OMG they taste sooo good. And they don't upset my digestion at all.

I'm using organic flour because I don't want any glyphosate residues in my starter. From what I've read, glyphosate acts like an antibiotic and kills beneficial bacteria in your starter.

Hope this helps anyone who is trying to get a starter going
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,028Posts Today

9,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin