Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 177
    • jk0
    • By jk0 17th Apr 17, 12:08 AM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 22,374 Thanks
    jk0
    Stand for the Truth: A Government Researcher Speaks Out
    Sorry to keep banging on about 9/11 folks, but I thought this video might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvAv-114bwM

This guy used to work at NIST who wrote the 9/11 report. He has finally realised it is a lot of cobblers.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Apr 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Spotted this & thought it might raise a grin
    Seems The First Duck may have to be guided on appropriate vehicles when visiting.
    However it is unlikely he'll have the grace to do a Beauty in "The Beast" as Obama quietly did.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 13,830 Posts
    • 128,004 Thanks
    mardatha
    I know just what I'd do if there was a 4 minute warning. Put the kettle on and cuddle the RV and the cat. Would need to be the big fast burner ring though or we'd never make it in time
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Apr 17, 8:33 AM
    • 3,987 Posts
    • 46,871 Thanks
    Jazee
    Mardatha, you need to get one of those one cup water boiler thingies. We have one, and you can have a cuppa ready in less than a minute at a temperature you can drink it at.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) July £335.91 Total £5835.60/£12000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Totally agree on the uselessness of fearfulness over impending armageddon ... though I do still get a bit addicted to watching the headlines, must stop that.

Prepping-wise, I'm very proud of my half-kilner jar of dehydrated lemon balm there, that'll show them
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Apr 17, 11:38 AM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 147,733 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's only sensible to keep yourself informed KARMA and unless it's 'celebrity rubbish' keeping an eye on the news headlines is very informative. I keep an eye also on those tiny little 1" page edgers that come in columns as that is where the really interesting stuff pops up, almost like it's 'hidden' news and is sometimes very relevant. I don't think for a second that the really relevant stuff ever gets into the public domaine though and that's probably much less scary than knowing everything that could potentially be world problems.

I'm going to make and process as much of the home grown produce as I can this year so tomorrow I'll be making a batch of rhubarb and ginger jam as the allotment is producing a small forest of the stuff and then when it's had a few weeks to rest I'll make a batch of chutney too. I rather think prices are only going to rise over the next few years so I'll make and store what I can and free up our money to buy in what we can afford and make that tasty with what I've made. I can't stop the world but I can make our little bit of it as comfy and good as I can!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to keep banging on about 9/11 folks, but I thought this video might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvAv-114bwM

This guy used to work at NIST who wrote the 9/11 report. He has finally realised it is a lot of cobblers.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Well, I've been purposely not thinking about that too much, but this particular video shocked me because of how reasonable the guy was. He was very scientific, very reasoned, in his analysis. No fireworks in what he said or his thought processes, and taking responsibility for coming to the party as late as he has.

He doesn't go into *who* ... but, who? The "next step" after saying it seems deliberate ... it's really hard to imagine the mindset of people who would deliberately do this, and consider themselves to be worthwhile members of our society (if it *wasn't* terrorists etc).

It's only sensible to keep yourself informed KARMA and unless it's 'celebrity rubbish' keeping an eye on the news headlines is very informative. I keep an eye also on those tiny little 1" page edgers that come in columns as that is where the really interesting stuff pops up, almost like it's 'hidden' news and is sometimes very relevant. I don't think for a second that the really relevant stuff ever gets into the public domaine though and that's probably much less scary than knowing everything that could potentially be world problems.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks Mrs L - and sadly this ties in to what I just wrote, I think. We know, in our hearts, that TPTB don't really have the best interests of ordinary people as their most important objective, so yep, keeping an eye on things *is* important, you're right. When I said I looked at headlings, its often to see if something really bad has happened - like the Westminster bomb recently - or its a proper look round, which is when you see the little bits of 'hidden' news, as you say. ZH is really good for a headline scan....

I'm going to make and process as much of the home grown produce as I can this year so tomorrow I'll be making a batch of rhubarb and ginger jam as the allotment is producing a small forest of the stuff and then when it's had a few weeks to rest I'll make a batch of chutney too. I rather think prices are only going to rise over the next few years so I'll make and store what I can and free up our money to buy in what we can afford and make that tasty with what I've made. I can't stop the world but I can make our little bit of it as comfy and good as I can!!!
    I definitely agree - our own responses, on our own individual levels, can cushion us from manipulations of goods, of currency exchange, of border controls, as well as ill health, accidents, all sorts of things.

I'm off out tomorrow to see the Flying Scotsman but Wednesday my dehydrator is in action again - nettles and blackberry leaves, I think. While thats going, I'll be making rhubarb "pie filling" for crumbles, putting it in the freezer.
    Retired August 2016
    • jk0
    • By jk0 17th Apr 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 22,374 Thanks
    jk0

He doesn't go into *who* ... but, who? The "next step" after saying it seems deliberate ... it's really hard to imagine the mindset of people who would deliberately do this, and consider themselves to be worthwhile members of our society (if it *wasn't* terrorists etc).
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I'm just watching Operation Terror: https://operationterror.vhx.tv/buy/operation-terror

This seems a very plausible explanation.
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 18th Apr 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 11,864 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    You lot always have your fingers on the pulse! With GQ's dire warnings that Bank Holidays are always a 'good time' for things to go wrong - is anybody having trouble getting onto Co-Op online banking this morning?
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Apr 17, 2:40 PM
    • 13,830 Posts
    • 128,004 Thanks
    mardatha
    EEEK! I'm not with them, but that would worry me. Please let us know how you get on Lilli !
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 18th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 11,065 Posts
    • 212,978 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I wouldn't touch online banking with a disinfected barge pole, I like to do all my banking in-branch, even cash withdrawal, indoor ATMs unlikely to have been tampered with, imo. I've read of online securtiy experts who won't bank online as they consider it far too risky.

Back at the homestead after five days on the razz at parental-ville (I jest). Heard the news about the general election on the bus's radio as I came across the county. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are; that's another b*ggering lot of w*rk for local authority peeps, bet our own elections team are going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Spoke to a pal this aft, it's been called for his birthday, so he won't forget that in a hurry.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    My thought was that just-turned 18 year old might learn where & how to vote with this repeated drill & that he's getting his money's worth.

After that, a sigh as that'll be another night's Scouting we need to plan around & if the Wednesday lot expect us to haul over to remote site on 'their' day again, they can take up knitting.

And finally a vague ponder as to how quickly political fliers compost?

Still, happy future birthday pal of GQ! May the multihued cocktails make it pass relatively painlessly?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 11,986 Posts
    • 213,717 Thanks
    greenbee
    I wouldn't touch online banking with a disinfected barge pole, I like to do all my banking in-branch, even cash withdrawal, indoor ATMs unlikely to have been tampered with, imo. I've read of online securtiy experts who won't bank online as they consider it far too risky.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I work with a lot of these people. You can generally tell our security people, as other than me (and my immediate colleagues think I'm weird for doing this) they are the only people who have two phones. Work is kept well away from personal - and they manage their personal security carefully. But they do online banking, credit cards etc - with the suppliers and methods carefully chosen. Many of them live out in the sticks, so in-branch banking isn't easy, and our jobs involve a lot of travel across timezones so we need 24/7 availability.

Online banking is fine. Home automation is fine. If you understand it, understand the risks, and manage them accordingly. (And Alexa is a blinking nuisance if you happen to have someone called Alexa - or even Alex - in your household )
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    • 12,810 Posts
    • 35,173 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Eek! Ohforgawdsake...and one quick check later and....WHAT!!!....and she is indeed planning to call a General Election.

Just why for gawdsake?

Can anyone explain just why?

As far as I can see - she has been managing things pretty well and we need the current PM to stay in place to steer Brexit through - so why on earth? What is she playing at? I can't follow the logic on this.

Even more so - when other world leaders are up to shenanigans and looking likelier than they have for some time to be daft enough to start up the 3rd World War.

I don't get it....I thought she was pretty sensible.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    • 11,986 Posts
    • 213,717 Thanks
    greenbee
    Probably sensible enough a. not to want to be in charge and b. if she has to be, to have a mandate from the electorate. Remember it was 'call me Dave' who was elected, not her...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    • 12,810 Posts
    • 35,173 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Probably sensible enough a. not to want to be in charge and b. if she has to be, to have a mandate from the electorate. Remember it was 'call me Dave' who was elected, not her...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I can understand not wanting to be "in charge" in current circumstances. Not circumstances I would fancy being in one little bit right now.

Let's just hope it's all a ploy to get an even firmer mandate from the electorate and not her taking the cowards way out (because right now being PM sounds even harder than usual bet).

Let's hope it's a carefully calculated decision to get such a mandate and she does indeed get it. The last thing we need right now is a "wimp at the wheel". Whoever is PM right now has 3 major issues on their plate - Brexit/a possible World War looming and a certain other person (who I won't comment about - but I have my own opinion about her....) to deal with. I wouldnt fancy having one of those issues on my plate personally and it will take nerves of steel and some darn careful calculation to deal with all 3 problems.

I'd hazard a guess at 50/50 as to which of those 2 scenarios it is right now and it's "carefully calculated" rather than "wimps 'r us".

It's one hell of a load for whoever is in the unenviable position of being our country's PM right now - just how the heck does one ensure keeping our country peaceful/united/safe right now? Talk about getting the booby prize in a competion...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 18-04-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Witless
    • By Witless 18th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    Witless
    I wonder how wrong the pre election polls will get it this time?

Certainly going to be one or two (if not more) disappointed party leaders.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 38,770 Thanks
    maryb
    I think the point is that the end of the fixed term would be looming just as things are being wrapped up on the Brexit deal. Governments never really achieve much in the last year before an election and that won't do for something as important as this.

Labour won't mind - they need to address the issue of whether Corbyn is electoral toxin sooner rather than later
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 13,830 Posts
    • 128,004 Thanks
    mardatha
    If I have to watch one more party political broadcast - even from my own party - I will become one of those mad preppers living in an underground room with a pet woodlouse!!!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 11,986 Posts
    • 213,717 Thanks
    greenbee
    If I have to watch one more party political broadcast - even from my own party - I will become one of those mad preppers living in an underground room with a pet woodlouse!!!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Better turn the TV and radio off for the duration. And cancel the newspapers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,070Posts Today

7,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin