Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 160
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm O positive and used to be a donor and they were always very happy to have us type Os as anyone can receive our red stuff.

Sadly, the NHS has chosen to designate persons on my kind of constant medication as verboten in terms of donation. The consultants for my condition have told me that there is no biological reason why we shouldn't be donors, but the blood people won't be dissuaded.

Sad, really, that I can't contribute, but it is as it is.

I'm also looking at getting more fruit bushes onto my allotment as part of the long-term plan to get high-quality fruits for pennies. Lots of nutrition from not a lot of space. One of my favourite things is to just eat frozen blackcurrants straight from the freezer - yummy treat, healthy and not containing any additonal sugars.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 14th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 40,740 Thanks
    maryb
    I can see that there would probably be no problem giving a man O type blood of any type but with women haven't you got rhesus antibodies to worry about? Wish I understood it a bit better. Anyway the blood donation people are like vampires for DD2's blood
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I can see that there would probably be no problem giving a man O type blood of any type but with women haven't you got rhesus antibodies to worry about? Wish I understood it a bit better. Anyway the blood donation people are like vampires for DD2's blood
    Originally posted by maryb
    Used to know a girl at college with a very rare type, A Rh neg (I think, this was a lot of years ago). Vampires positively swooned with excitement when they got her in.

Off to play wiv bows & arrows for a while - laters. x
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 51,247 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Although "I told you I was ill" has a certain appeal as it might actually do for the hypochondriac.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Isn't "I told you I was ill" carved on Spike Milligan's gravestone?
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9,779 Posts
    • 51,247 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    A Rh neg
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I'm A Rh Pos.

Don't know how common/rare that is.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Isn't "I told you I was ill" carved on Spike Milligan's gravestone?
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Yup.

I'm not planning to have a tombstone but one could have fun composing one's very own obituary. Mark Twain is one of the few people who got to read his own obit published after false reports of his death.

I think he sent someone a telegraph message saying that rumours of his death had been greatly exaggerated.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 69,770 Thanks
    VJsmum
    They weren't allowed to put it on Spike's grave in the end - but there was a compromise and it is in Gaelic.

I am B+ blood wise, which is fairly rare, and have donated gallons in the past. I got a silver award. Unfortunately I don't give it easily and it put me off - I should go back.

OH is A+ so the children could be anything at all that's positive. Neither of them knows.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 40,740 Thanks
    maryb
    Back in the days when I had a string of au pairs to pick the DDs up from school I used to joke they would carve on my tombstone "She taught half the eighteen year olds in Europe how to iron a shirt"!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 14th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    I and a couple of my daughters are A positive donors but A negative recipients. Goodness knows what that means!
    (Or is it the other way round - I forget!)
    Last edited by Winchelsea; 14-03-2017 at 7:07 PM. Reason: Added to it
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 19,504 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    We had a lass at Uni with some remarkable blood type. It got to the stage where the first couple of days each couple of months she'd leave a log of where she was going - and someone would have to use it and send her off to the sports fields for the helicopter. The onboard vampires fetched her, drained as much as they dared, topped her back up & returned her with strict warnings to go gently & above all stay out of traffic accidents.

But then her type ran to about six characters - which meant whoever needed a refill was usually a surgical appointment with special sources on standby.

Come TEOTWAWKI, I suspect blood donations will have a cash price & a healthy black market. (Remind me to ram a child through medical school, and equip a discreet lab? Or is that getting a bit Bond Villain?)
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 14-03-2017 at 7:33 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Makes me glad to have a "common or garden" blood type here.

Though I don't know which of the two variants of O that I am. I just remember thinking words to effect of "That's just as well then" when I heard the word "O" used about it.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Mar 17, 8:07 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,952 Thanks
    greenbee
    O isn't a 'common or garden' blood type Money. It's a very useful one. And if you're O negative you're a universal donor. (you can give O- blood to an O+ recipient, but the other way round isn't advised unless there is no choice)

The most useful blood group to BE is AB+ as that makes you a universal recipient.

I'd encourage ANYONE who can give blood to donate, but particularly those who are O group.

(actually, sometimes I feel that unless you have a medical reason not to donate, you shouldn't be able to receive... that's probably a bit cruel though... )

I recently went into hospital for a minor op and my mother asked my (god knows why... this is my 7th or 8th time so she must know the drill by now) whether I had to give blood in advance. Apparently that's what they did in the old days - took your blood in case you needed it back. I guess if you didn't need it, it then went into the general blood bank.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 19,504 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Hear, hear on giving blood if at all possible.
    Organs as well within reason. Altruistic donation doesn't have an age limit, but a health one. I'm very proud of this chap - he's a relative & a shining example.

Just look at someone on dialysis & imagine how different not having to spend hours every week plugged into a machine would feel.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 14th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    jk0
    Did anyone hear the story, (must be 20 years ago now) that NHS hospitals were selling freely donated blood to private hospitals?

I'm afraid that put me off donating, though I now do support my local NHS hospital with cash rather than blood.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 14th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 9,396 Posts
    • 55,254 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    I remember reading some statistics a few years back about blood groups. The numbers may have changed a bit by now, but then in the U.K. about 47% of people were group O (which actually is a zero, meaning no antibodies on the red blood cell walls to fight other blood types), 40% were group A, then the remaining 13% was split between AB, B and some very obscure rare types. The positive or negative bit relates to whether you have the Rhesus factor or not. If you are Rhesus negative then being given blood containing the Rhesus factor will cause a potentially life threatening reaction. AB positive types are able to receive all kinds of blood, A, B, AB, O, whether positive or negative. Anyone of any blood type can have O negative blood, which is why hospital blood banks always keep stocks of O negative to be issued immediately in emergency situations, such as major traumas or burst aneurysms or ulcers.

My mum, being some rare B type, needed transfusing after delivering me, so dad (type AB) became a blood donor to give something in return. He stopped donating after I think about a hundred donations.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Mar 17, 10:43 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,952 Thanks
    greenbee
    Did anyone hear the story, (must be 20 years ago now) that NHS hospitals were selling freely donated blood to private hospitals?

I'm afraid that put me off donating, though I now do support my local NHS hospital with cash rather than blood.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Well if the private hospitals need blood they can't just collect it themselves and I'd hope the blood service would charge them - the donations may be free but the blood service costs money to run. 2012 costs here. There may be more recent figures available but I don't have time to hunt them down. I'd assume they've gone up.

If you're fit and healthy, donate blood (and register as an organ donor). Blood isn't something that can be manufactured like equipment.
    Last edited by greenbee; 14-03-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    • 13,933 Posts
    • 37,875 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It does seem very odd if hospitals don't collect a recipients blood in advance - in those cases where they know they are going to need it and with the fact they used to do so. It makes sense - particularly as we now know that some illness can be passed on in the blood (eg HIV).

I thought they were on the verge of being able to make artificial blood substitute now too? I may be mis-remembering on that - but I do keep a bit of an eye out for all those medical inventions I thought they'd already invented decades ago (but it turns out we're still waiting for them to invent in the first place).
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,473 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The NHS is already stretched to breaking point both in terms of what the public 'expect' it to achieve and the amount of cash available for the hard working and dedicated people who work within it to be able to achieve it. In an ideal world there would be the facility to give your own blood to be stored and returned to the individual after the procedure, sadly NHS staff are off their feet even at the easiest of times and with A&E in crisis I think there just is no way personalised medicine of any kind COULD happen!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    jk0
    Well if the private hospitals need blood they can't just collect it themselves
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I believe they do in America, don't they, and pay donors for it too?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,952 Thanks
    greenbee
    I believe they do in America, don't they, and pay donors for it too?
    Originally posted by jk0
    They have an entirely different healthcare system. Ours is based on the NHS, and the blood service is managed and regulated - and centralised (as Mrs LW points out, they don't have blood collection/processing facilities at every hospital - that's part of how they have cut the costs AND keep the supply safe).

If private hospitals were able to collect separately and pay people, I wonder how many people would donate freely?

By having a single service for collecting, processing and managing blood stocks it ensures that that the appropriate blood products are available as quickly and efficiently as possible where needed and can deal with things like major RTAs and other large-scale events.

Please do rethink your stance on blood donations. You or a family member of a friend may need blood - or an organ - one day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,922Users online

Martin's Twitter