Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 158
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 13,831 Posts
    • 128,089 Thanks
    mardatha
    A big part of my preps are geared for sudden shortage of money. My bank (RBS) might fail or have a major IT problem. Our pensions might one day be delayed like they were in Greece - and Cyprus or Malta or somewhere had a Bank holiday that lasted a week.. Big supermarkets can and do have IT glitches and the tills don't work.. lots of things could maybe possibly go wrong with the money or food supply.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 12th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,391 Thanks
    jk0
    That's one way of making sure TS doesn't HTF.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Oh, don't make me laugh Bob. It makes me cough.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 18,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Yes, but when you do need to evacuate, you really need to have been hydrating diligently & possibly have soaked battered linseeds overnight for a couple of days before.
    Says she who found the two footplate loo easier to get along with after a few days dosed than sat in the Western tradition.

That or drink Guinness which I'm assured is like Pickford's "shifts anything".... Quite who combined those adverts where & when, I don't I want to consider.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 12th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,391 Thanks
    jk0
    Actually, one little prep that occurred to me today regarding bank cards not working, is to have two from different banks. (Alternatively have a Barclaycard, but bank elsewhere.)

Then, any time you are in a shop, and find your card doesn't work, you have another to try.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 11,987 Posts
    • 213,733 Thanks
    greenbee
    Codeine doesn't have the same effect on everyone, but just to be on the safe side eat a high-fibre diet. Or add ground linseed to porridge.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 9,578 Posts
    • 50,312 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Actually, one little prep that occurred to me today regarding bank cards not working, is to have two from different banks. (Alternatively have a Barclaycard, but bank elsewhere.)

Then, any time you are in a shop, and find your card doesn't work, you have another to try.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Or, you could carry some cash.

I understand it's accepted pretty much everywhere.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 29,570 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    That or drink Guinness which I'm assured is like Pickford's "shifts anything".... Quite who combined those adverts where & when, I don't I want to consider.
    Kombucha tea is pretty effective too...
    Angie

GC 06/17: £250/£500
    BulkBuy Purse 2017:£328.40/£420

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 12th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,391 Thanks
    jk0
    Or, you could carry some cash.
    But your card isn't working Bob, and you just spent your last £50 on diesel.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 9,578 Posts
    • 50,312 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    But your card isn't working Bob, and you just spent your last £50 on diesel.
    Originally posted by jk0
    I wouldn't have spent all my money on diesel.

• jk0
    • By jk0 12th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,391 Thanks
    jk0
    I wouldn't have spent all my money on diesel.
    It depends on how long SHTF for doesn't it?

I don't know why you feel the need to sarcastically troll my comments Bob. I don't do it to you.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    • 9,578 Posts
    • 50,312 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I'm not trolling anything, let alone sarcastically.

I'm simply pointing out, how dangerous it is to rely on cards.

• jk0
    • By jk0 13th Mar 17, 7:32 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,391 Thanks
    jk0
    I'm not trolling anything, let alone sarcastically.

I'm simply pointing out, how dangerous it is to rely on cards.
    Yeah, right.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 13,831 Posts
    • 128,089 Thanks
    mardatha
    I stick to cash jk0, mainly because I'm old and have always done that. And knowing me, the one day things went to custard and I really really needed stuff - that would be the day I forgot my bloody pin!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 10,618 Posts
    • 147,866 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I take out a set amount each week and when it's gone it's GONE! so we use what's left and don't buy anything else. Big purchases are planned and saved for. Petrol is planned expenditure and we make sure the tank never gets lower than half full in case we need to get to either of the girls in an emergency situation. I do also use a card occasionally as I don't like carrying lots of cash but only for planned and discussed purchases, neither of us is likely to buy anything on a whim , that's not how we work!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 9,578 Posts
    • 50,312 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Yeah, right.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Believe what you like.

You could always put me on ignore.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 9,578 Posts
    • 50,312 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I stick to cash jk0, mainly because I'm old and have always done that.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I stick to cash, because I know it's spendable, even when EPOS and ATMs are down.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 13-03-2017 at 3:51 PM.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 9,578 Posts
    • 50,312 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I do also use a card occasionally as I don't like carrying lots of cash but only for planned and discussed purchases
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    The only cards I have are an ATM card, and a pre-paid Mastercard.

The pre-paid card is purely for internet purchases (eg. Amazon), which aren't essential purchases, so it's not the end of the world, if I can't make them.

• elona
    • By elona 13th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 57,384 Thanks
    elona
    Having had fraudulant transactions on my bank card in the last couple of years and needing the card replaced and pin changed etc twice now, I check my transactions on line every couple of days.

I now know how much money I need to have for a couple of weeks and always have food in the fridge and freezer. I get packs of lean meat when the company have good offers on and stock up. I try to get things delivered free whenever possible as it saves lugging things around on the bus.

I do need to get around to ordering large bottles of water on my next shop as DH used to delight in helpfully "using it up for me!"

My daughters and DH used to laugh at me when I said "What if?"
    and made sure we had travel insurance on holidays etc and extra tins, food, tea, coffee and toiletries but they were a lifesaver when anyone was poorly as I did not have to run out and leave them to get things.

They stopped laughing at me when DH found neighbour had needed to turn our shared water supply off and DH was heard to say he was desperate for a mug of tea - five minutes later I handed him a hug mug of tea and his face was a picture as I informed him I had used the large bottle of water "that was a waste of money" Youngest DD was especially dismissive of my preps in her late teens until she had several friends over and there was a power cut When I walked into the room with several solar lights there was a cheer!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 66,708 Thanks
    VJsmum
    He Who Knows tore a sheet of muscles in his side with the cough that came with his virus! he is still having to take pain killers (although is in less discomfort now) and we're coming up to 7 weeks. Luckily my preps included some over the counter Co Codamol in the medicine chest which gave him some relief until he could get to the GP.....unfortunately it too is known to have constipation as a side effect!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I have been suffering from doing that also (muscles, not constipation).

Apple cider vinegar pretty much shifts anything too (constipation, not muscles)

Last edited by VJsmum; 13-03-2017 at 4:50 PM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 13th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 2,611 Thanks
    Si Clist
    I do need to get around to ordering large bottles of water on my next shop as DH used to delight in helpfully "using it up for me!"
    Originally posted by elona
    Ermmm ... sorry if I'm misunderstanding that, but why not buy your large bottles of water, use the contents as and when, then refill them from the tap rather than keep on buying them?
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,403Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin