Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 156
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 13,846 Posts
    • 128,323 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yep, don't do neat rows, just make them all look like "plants". I used to try and do the expensive stuff but then changed back to tatties, onions, leeks, and odd green stuff for soup, as that is what we eat. We don't even like salad so no point in lettuce. Food prices going up now/soon is a big threat I think. The other major prep is electricity prices, that's next on my hit list.
    *sharpening my wee fangs today and feeling ratty*
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 27,494 Posts
    • 149,348 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yay to the Rattiness of Mar - a wonderful, fearsome thing

Am offline for a week now, peeps - I'd hoped to do more, but I need to be off. Happy Prepping.
    Retired August 2016
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 13,846 Posts
    • 128,323 Thanks
    mardatha
    I am a wee sweet old lady! Cute and cuddly!
    .... if sometimes a wee tad
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 34,702 Thanks
    monnagran
    I am a wee sweet old lady! Cute and cuddly!
    .... if sometimes a wee tad
    Originally posted by mardatha
    And I'm the Queen of Sheba. And always, always, always sensible and dignified. Someone find an emoticon for sensible and dignified please.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 8th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    Witless
    ..... #2 a week (hmm, my pound sign has disappeared) ...
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    You can use Alt codes - press Alt and type 156, this will give you £
    • Chieveley
    • By Chieveley 8th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    Chieveley
    for "the queen of sheba"
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 18,305 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I try for neat rows, but m'husband drilled a smegging great board full of neat holes to plant his cereals exactly the correct spacing & has insisted that this year he'll plant the pea crop as my perfectly healthy colourful & edible crop was Too Untidy...
    Come TEOTWAWKI, am I allowed to take up compassionate cannibalism? Or drain various people for dried blood?

Neither cute nor dignified but can usually get a brew together, even in pretty inauspicious circumstances.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 11,080 Posts
    • 213,355 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I feel your pain, we have an ex-military man on the lotties and his straight lines of crops (and paths) are mathematically perfect with not a leaf out of place. Shows the rest of us up something chronic.

I do try for mostly straight lines but am somewhat challenged by having a plot which isn't a true rectangle and a habit of putting rows of veggies which drift towards the right.

Howsomever, my archery is improving weekly and I got four golds in one go yestereve (aka bullseyes) so come the zombie apocalypse, there will bunnies for tea, side-salads of dent de lion and davey crocket-style chapeaux a-plenty.

ETA; do you get the double-quote marks when you press the £ sign? If you do, you £ will be behind the (") marks. It's annoying but easily fixable as you're keyboard will have defaulted to US English. If you change your settings to UK English the problem will disappear - had to do this on Dad's pooter one time. Of course, if it isn't that, I have no idea where your ££££ have gone - has the Chancellor taken them?!
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 08-03-2017 at 7:33 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Witless
    • By Witless 8th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    Witless
    ETA; do you get the double-quote marks when you press the £ sign? If you do, you £ will be behind the (") marks. It's annoying but easily fixable as you're keyboard will have defaulted to US English. If you change your settings to UK English the problem will disappear - had to do this on Dad's pooter one time. Of course, if it isn't that, I have no idea where your ££££ have gone - has the Chancellor taken them?!
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Looked like she was getting # - using that key might work but sometimes when keyboards go skewiff it's easier just to use the Alt (or more correctly the ASCII) codes.

http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/

As for the Chancellor and the missing £££s - isn't that what the barstewards do to everybody?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 18,305 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    GQ, hurrah on 4 golds! Sometimes I think I'd get straighter lines planting with arrowholes. Himself isn't Wrong when he says the peas are wobbly, but the frames I assemble are from sticks available & they undulate & then wibble in the breezes.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 9th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    Si Clist
    ... then wibble in the breezes.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Wonderful!
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 22,458 Thanks
    jk0
    Orange Email is closing
    Well this is a flaming nuisance:

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomr email_textlink-2017-01-11

I've had the same 'Freeserve' email address for about 15 years now. Can you imagine the work to notify every correspondent, (and for them to amend their records) about this?

Google seem keen to give me a free email address, but I think it would freak me out that they were reading my emails. What supplier would you guys suggest?
    Last edited by jk0; 09-03-2017 at 6:51 PM.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 50,376 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    What supplier would you guys suggest?
    Originally posted by jk0
    Have you tried Freeola?

http://freeola.com/free-webmail-account/

Check out the cool email domains they offer.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 09-03-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 18,305 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    zoho are free too, but watch what else you sign up for.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 50,376 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Heated Travel Mug.
    Saw one of these in the shop earlier.

Just made a brew in it, and am going to leave it running till tomorrow morning, to see if the drink is still hot.

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 11th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 29,632 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Now that'd be very useful when I'm doing a market!
    Angie

GC 06/17: £250/£500
    BulkBuy Purse 2017:£328.40/£420

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 50,376 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Now that'd be very useful when I'm doing a market!
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    I got mine at the local Post Office, but they're available (albeit a couple of quid more expensive) on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STAINLESS-HEATED-TRAVEL-CHARGER-COLOUR/dp/B00FCRFSPS/ref=s9_simh_gw_g263_i5_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh& pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=6G5WFHNB28 PCFDA68S1G&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

There is a cheaper one, but it only works off the car lighter socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-450ml-Plug-Mug-Adaptor/dp/B0098L9KW6/ref=pd_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID =G3761NCYDWKQ9DVJCPNP

• westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 11th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 16,643 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Hi <waving> not been online much recently, between longer work hours, time spent in the garden and sewing to update my wardrobe.
    Prices are sky-rocketing here, but am hopeful my garden will be productive soon - chicks are laying again and can now be uncovered, although food and water still covered. I'm finding them a bit hard work these days, so going to go back to a deep litter system i think, with
    foraging beds off it (veg beds that need turned over).

Arthritis flaring a bit too, so on the list is some financial planning so I can retire early if I need to.

Hope all well with you :-)
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 13,846 Posts
    • 128,323 Thanks
    mardatha
    Wondered how you were doing WCS. I had my hens on the deep litter system too, it made sense to me when I read up on it.
    I did some tidying in the garden but was too cold a wind for me to enjoy it so I decided to leave it for a bit yet. Going to the garden centre in Duns when I get paid, will buy a load of compost and topsoil there to refresh my veg patch. They deliver free anywhere in the Borders.
    I'm thinking of laying in a stash of non-food stuff, like shampoo and soap powder and alcan foil and clingfilm etc. At the rate stuff is going up then it can't go wrong.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 17, 12:07 AM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 50,376 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    A stash of cooking foil is very useful, in the event of a water supply failure/drought.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,468Posts Today

7,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin