Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cazs
    • By cazs 9th Jul 16, 4:24 PM
    • 472Posts
    • 176Thanks
    cazs
    What ladies gym wear do you rate?
    • 9th Jul 16, 4:24 PM
    What ladies gym wear do you rate? 9th Jul 16 at 4:24 PM
    When I decided to join the gym I ordered multiple tracksuit bottoms and t shirts from S.Direct. It wasn't till I got there that I realised that I was way behind the times and these days all the girls are into gym leggings either plain or all patterned and fancy tops. Though I look like a dinosaur I didn't feel comfortable chucking it all away and getting new stuff just cos it wasn't trendy and I've got 3 yrs use out of it but there's only so many times you can put things through the wash before before I thought I deserve some new kit so just wondering what brands/specific items do others rate for ladies gym wear especially gym leggings :-) Thanks
Page 2
    • JCUK
    • By JCUK 2nd Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    JCUK
    Thanks to everyone who's made suggestions so far. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried UnderArmour which I hear is supposed to be a brand especially good at sweat-wicking. I seem to have this problem much more now than when I was new to the gym irritatingly and it does make me feel self-conscious and uncomfortable (mentally and physically as it were) so looking out for that feature is I suppose more important than design to me.
    Originally posted by cazs
    I wear Under Armour t-shirts and they're excellent for not getting sweaty and sticky. Mine are very boring to look at, but I don't care about that :-). I've had the same few t-shirts for about three years now, and they're still fine, so they last well too.

Adidas leggings for me - again, not fancy to look at but also great for sweat wicking and I find they fit nicely and stay up
    LBM May 2016: 0%CC £3724.00 (NOW £2200); EF: £1250/£6000; MFW 2016 £1100/1200
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 2nd Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 5,915 Thanks
    clairec79
    Whatever works for you, I used to wear leggings (various brands) but lately I've switched to men's football style shorts and much prefer them
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 5th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    I wear tracksuit bottoms and I'm probably the only girl not in leggings at my gym but I don't care at all - I don't want clingy sweatty leggings on when I'm exercising!
    I wear this top: http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-linear-tshirt-womens-657970?colcode=65797006
    As you can see, pretty cheap and looks alright. Don't worry about it
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Just a Girl
    • By Just a Girl 5th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Just a Girl
    I buy all of my gym leggings from Tikiboo - www.tikiboo.co.uk - as they do fantastic patterns, they are high waisted, have a drawstring and aren't transparent when you bend over. They also don't show sweat patches.

I buy my gym tops from a range of places - H&M, Primark, TKMaxx, etc.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 15,246 Posts
    • 35,372 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I buy all of my gym leggings from Tikiboo - www.tikiboo.co.uk - as they do fantastic patterns, they are high waisted, have a drawstring and aren't transparent when you bend over. They also don't show sweat patches.
    Originally posted by Just a Girl
    WOW!

They aren't cheap but the patterns are FAB!
    • flissh
    • By flissh 6th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    flissh
    Liked the tikiboo website. I often pick things up in TKmax, and mix and match them with basic stuff from M&S.
    • redlady_1
    • By redlady_1 12th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 13,609 Thanks
    redlady_1
    Im another Sweaty Betty girl except for the bras and I must have a shock absorber for any impact work. If you go through Quidco you get cashback. Yes, it is expensive but it lasts.
    • Angelhales2601
    • By Angelhales2601 12th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    Angelhales2601
    I get ALOT of my fitness wear from TK-Maxx - especially when they have sales on. I find that because they are 'brands' it tends to last longer.
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 22nd Oct 16, 1:09 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    Is anyone else short and can tell me what they find fits well? I'm 5'1", and I'd love to be able to get some leggings that actually fit properly and don't either go really wrinkly on the ankles, or look like full length ones that have shrunk in the wash! Then there's tracksuit bottoms that drag on the ground, or tops sliding halfway down your torso because the straps and neckline are designed for a much taller person.

How come everywhere seems to do shorter length/petite sizes in normal clothes but not for any of the sportswear?
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 24th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Would be interested if anyone can recommend where to get sportswear in larger sizes 22/24?
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 26th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    Wear what you feel comfortable in, not what others are wearing. I typically find leggings very comfortable - I get them from different brands like Nike and Addidas but I also go for Primark and Asda ones too. In terms of comfort and quality, I'd recommend H&M and Asda activewear for women and the prices aren't bad either. I don't rate Primark leggings highly because they're bad quality and mostly see through. The sports bras & tops from Primark are good though.
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 26th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    mariposa687
    I've had some really good tops from H&M and a long sleeve top from GAP in the sale which have lasted a really long time. I tend to find the more expensive leggings like Nike or Adidas better because they seem to be made of thicker material.

Sweaty Betty looks good quality but it's too expensive for me at the moment.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 26th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I was 'forced' to go to the gym a few years ago, after treatment for a slipped disc.

I wore jogging bottoms and a loose t shirt. I was there to get fit, not for anyone's eye and delight!

Yes, there were lycra clad lovelies hogging the treadmills, I was too busy sweating like a beast on the bench press to care!

Wear something loose and comfortable...until you're confident enough to be a lycra clad lovely!
    • lilmiss1982
    • By lilmiss1982 8th Nov 16, 1:39 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 2,924 Thanks
    lilmiss1982
    Would be interested if anyone can recommend where to get sportswear in larger sizes 22/24?
    Originally posted by chocolatepennyfarthing
    Most supermarket brands do sportswear up to that size. Adsa have quite a big range it can be bought online. Also if you want branded sportswear and labels you could try simplybe.
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
    • kahunababy
    • By kahunababy 16th Nov 16, 4:33 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    kahunababy
    Is anyone else short and can tell me what they find fits well? I'm 5'1", and I'd love to be able to get some leggings that actually fit properly and don't either go really wrinkly on the ankles, or look like full length ones that have shrunk in the wash! Then there's tracksuit bottoms that drag on the ground, or tops sliding halfway down your torso because the straps and neckline are designed for a much taller person.

How come everywhere seems to do shorter length/petite sizes in normal clothes but not for any of the sportswear?
    Originally posted by CupOfChai
    I struggle with this too as I am only 5'1". I wear Heavy Rep Gear capri tights in the winter and stick to shorts in the summer. I usually throw a pair of tracksuit bottoms (bought from Nike childs range) over the top to travel to and from the gym.
    Just little old me!
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 16th Nov 16, 6:57 PM
    • 7,601 Posts
    • 15,311 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Marks and spencer's technical gear is quite good and washes really well, the only drawback is that lately they've done away with plain colours and have horrible patterns instead, I've been making do with my old stuff in the meantime (which is unfortunately a bit tight at the minute lol!)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,261Posts Today

6,045Users online

Martin's Twitter