Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 13
    • pajama
    • By pajama 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    pajama
    Loving the nutella tree!
    Think this shall be made for Christmas. The grandaughters will love it, also my chocoholic daughter too
    Grocery Challenge -
    Dec £87.23/£450.00
    Nov £295.37/£360.00

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 20,388 Posts
    • 40,193 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Christmas present dilemma
    Well it's been a while since the last post, I had to search for this thread!

I'm going to collect my little niece's Christmas present this week. She's approaching 20 months and learning so much, this is going to be something she loves.

Being so young she's just becoming aware of stuff, I've been doing OS Halloween-type activities with her (playing ghosts with old sheets, etc) but have yet to introduce her to the concept of Christmas. She's at home this week and back to nursery again next week, I'm sure they'll do lots of Christmassy things with her nearer the time. How quickly do children get it?

The reason I ask is I am wondering why this gift should be left unused for the next 8 weeks or so whilst she could be enjoying it. It makes no sense to me but then although I would buy her stuff in between, there wouldn't be anoth big present for Chrustmas Day.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 27th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,121 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good question. I'm quite traditional though and I love Christmas and everything about it so personally, I'd wait and give her the fresh, unused present on Xmas. By the sounds of it you have your hands full with Halloween related activities anyway.

It's payday for me today so I'm going to buy a few Xmas presents which I've been meaning to get for a while. With November round the corner I need to get the O/S hat on and think of some good wee pressies.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • Handbag59
    • By Handbag59 1st Nov 16, 4:20 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Handbag59
    I am steaming ahead with my homemade Christmas makes, how is everyone else getting on?

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/50-makes-for-christmas-makes-21-30.html
    • adele_swinge
    • By adele_swinge 1st Nov 16, 4:37 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    adele_swinge
    I am steaming ahead with my homemade Christmas makes, how is everyone else getting on?

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/50-makes-for-christmas-makes-21-30.html
    Originally posted by Handbag59
    Love the blog! I think fudge is a definite for me this year.

May I join please? Cooking my first dinner at home this year, and trying to have a partially handmade one due to completing on a house around Christmas Eve (I'm clearly mad).

So far I have done absolutely nothing! One secret santa has been drawn and I know I'll have another for work. Will probably do a mini homemade sweetie/drinks hamper for that one.

Also, I made a list of 100 handmade stocking fillers on my Pinterest board if anyone needs any more inspiration: http://pin.it/pOWigRt I go back to it every year and try to make a few quick things.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 1st Nov 16, 5:03 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,641 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Handbag your Christmas makes are stunning, you are very talented.

I've pinned loads I want to do but not actually achieved a great deal as I've been house decorating. I aim to get the gloss in the lounge done by Christmas, but the bathroom, our bedroom and the landing are all about finished. Now the nights ae drawing in I just want to snuggle up on the settee at ninth with my knitting or a book.

I did order some big window stickers off Amazon, they came yesterday but I've not looked at them yet.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • Handbag59
    • By Handbag59 2nd Nov 16, 3:43 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Handbag59
    Adele, I am now following your board, you can never have too much inspiration That fudge recipe is super easy and really really good

Mrs Moneypenny, thank you, I think is more have a go and bodge it than talent! You sound like you have got your hands full with your decorating. The good thing is that your pins will be there for later when you have a bit more free time
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 2nd Nov 16, 6:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've got Xmas present-making more or less under control, helped hugely by having very few people to have proper presents for, only close family - so I'm now experimenting with crocheting little flat Xmas things with a hanging loop (ie red hearts, white snowflakes, green Xmas tree with coloured/glittery decorations on), all very small, so they could be lightly sewn onto a blank card and posted to the relatives we only send a card to: this year a card, next year they can hang the little thing on the tree as a decoration.

So far I've found, free online, a really good crochet diagram for the heart (first one I tried was awful, second one was astoundingly perfect for what i want!) and am experimenting with snowflakes
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 3rd Nov 16, 8:48 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,121 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    My gosh you're all so creative. I'm very jealous.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 3rd Nov 16, 9:34 AM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Just wanted to pop in to thank ButterflyBrain for raising about food banks - I hope you don't mind, but I pinched your idea and bought 10 advent calendars for our local food bank, plus a few bits and pieces they were short of - spend just under £15, so will do the same over the next couple of weeks too - I usually buy a couple of gifts to donate, so this will be this years 'prezzies'
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • adele_swinge
    • By adele_swinge 3rd Nov 16, 7:02 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    adele_swinge
    Just wanted to pop in to thank ButterflyBrain for raising about food banks - I hope you don't mind, but I pinched your idea and bought 10 advent calendars for our local food bank, plus a few bits and pieces they were short of - spend just under £15, so will do the same over the next couple of weeks too - I usually buy a couple of gifts to donate, so this will be this years 'prezzies'
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    That's so nice, islandmaid! I saw something about adding a tin or something a day in December and then at the end donating it to a charity or food bank. Nice idea, if a stretch for at home, maybe at work. I try and donate a toy if I can with the radio appeal. Better to give than receive!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Nov 16, 9:39 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    I am hoping to donate a lot of advent calendars to my local food bank. I have also volunteered to help at one of their supermarket sessions in December.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £263.45/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 7th Nov 16, 3:11 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 9,547 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Help please OSers with kiddywinkses:

At approximately what age do children grow out of a) sticker books b) colouring books?

Seen some bargains, but need to know if they're appropriate.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Nov 16, 3:31 PM
    • 20,388 Posts
    • 40,193 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

At approximately what age do children grow out of a) sticker books b) colouring books?

Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    No idea - an guessing about 6/7 for colouring books, much older for stickers depending on the type? - but I'd like to know where the bargain sicker books can be found
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Nov 16, 3:58 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Been shopping today for most of the raw ingredients for my hamper gifts - I am making

* Homemade Fudge – various flavours and designs
    * Homemade Stawberry Jam
    * Homemade Truffles – again various flavours and designs
    * Homemade Chocolate Bark – various again
    * Homemade Lemon Curd
    * Homemade Flavoured oils
    * Homemade Savoury and Sweet spiced/caramelised nuts
    * Homemade Mini Christmas Cakes
    * Homemade Christmas Shortbreads
    * Homemade Krispie rice treats – various Christmas styles for adults and kids
    * Homemade Christmas Cupcakes for work colleagues

The list is more for me than for the thread, means I have GOT to make them now
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 7th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,641 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny

Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Stepgdd is 8 & she still asks for pencils and colouring book when she visits so think it depends on the child especially as they now have those mindfulness adult colouring books teens are getting back into it as long as the pictures are suitable, with stickers I think it depends on the type some never grow out of them.
    Hth

Islandmaid bet it's going to smell delish in your kitchen in the run up to Christmas
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • lesleyb
    • By lesleyb 7th Nov 16, 5:14 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    lesleyb
    No idea - an guessing about 6/7 for colouring books, much older for stickers depending on the type? - but I'd like to know where the bargain sicker books can be found
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Argos have Minions, Star Wars and Frozen books and bits starting at 9p, very store specific, nothing much in London. There is a big post on another website
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 7th Nov 16, 6:10 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    My local Toscos is selling Christmas socks for 50p, we usually get some for my mother in law so ended up buying 5 pairs and will distribute to various friends and family over christmas. I am very tempted to go back and buy the ones remaining.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £263.45/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Nov 16, 6:50 PM
    • 55,944 Posts
    • 321,398 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's just me, a plastic tray and dinner for one... so not pushing any boat out

Between now and then I have to buy a turkey breast about 2 days before Xmas, veggies will be frozen, I might make a yorkie or might just use 2 ready-cooked ones, bit of stuffing, 2 roasties and a roast parsnip. Bit of gravy ... and a paper hat.

I'll get the tree out on 1 December and will probably spend about £5 in Poundland between now and Xmas buying a few more sparkly bits to hang on/around it.
    • Handbag59
    • By Handbag59 10th Nov 16, 7:12 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Handbag59
    Anyone seen the John Lewis advert yet? I must say I prefer the Kevin the carrot one from Aldi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,621Users online

Martin's Twitter