Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 9th Jul 16, 11:31 AM
    • 38Posts
    • 116Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Table for One
    • 9th Jul 16, 11:31 AM
    Table for One 9th Jul 16 at 11:31 AM
    Hi,

I've been lurking these boards for many years now but never plucked up the currage to make my own diary! But today's the day!

I'm a single girl, mid-twenties - about to brave it alone!

To give a bit of background, I have always been very good with my money and never stepped out of line with my budget.... Until a few years ago when my ex and I decided to renovate a house. At that point, not only did we get the big financial pressures of owning our first home, we also ploughed all our savings into the renovation, any income went towards it and we also got a loan. This left me broke!

I used tips from here and cut back on things to try to make my wages work but each month I was -£60, which went on my credit card. I had holes in my clothes and couldn't afford anything whilst the ex OH was gambling his spare cash away.

All of these stresses took tole on our relationship and we have parted ways. House sale due to complete shortly.

With the profits from the sale I will be able to pay off all my debt (although not massive it plays on me) and also have enough to put 10% down on my very own house!!

I have started this diary to make good habits again, to get a full understanding of my budget and my financial situation and to not get myself into the same mess as before!

Hope to do some sort of financial summary soon but don't really know where to start.

xoxo PP
Page 2
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 14th Aug 17, 11:10 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Managed to get my virgin bill significantly reduced which should make things better. Having a tough month this month as it's been car insurance and house insurance and I've had to pay excess for a new windscreen on my car too and just generally feeling skint.

I know I'm doing well though and I just need to stay focused on saving my pots of money and paying debts off.

List of things that need doing in my house is growing but can't afford to do anything until my debts are paid off and I'm not getting myself in to more debt to fix things. Just got to make do keep calm and continue being frugal.

I know lots of people are in the same boat but it's so hard living alone rather than splitting bills.

Starting on surveys so I can save up vouchers for Christmas and I'm also going to see if I can take advantage of a Christmas temp job too as like a little bonus towards the debt.

Sorry for being whiney just feel like I'm flagging a bit x
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 14th Aug 17, 11:17 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    P.s. I really don't understand how to subscribe to threads anymore in the new style forum. Any tips would be great.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,404 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I can't help on the new style. I'm still on the old.

Sorry things are tough this month, there will be bump sin the road but keep in sight there is light at the end of the tunnel x
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 15th Aug 17, 8:25 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    I can't even remember how to get back to the old style. I'm honestyly not bad with IT but this has just baffled me.

Thank you for your post hiddenidentity. It's so nice to have the support and know I'm not going through it alone.

Was feeling like things were going ok until bcard emailed to say my 0% is running out (which I thought ended in April. Fortunately my other cc conveniently sent me a 0% on balance transfers offer but there will be a fee of about £20. Better than the 18% bcard wanted to charge if I didn't pay in full though.

When my balance has gone across I'll do a little money update.
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 26th Aug 17, 12:56 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Still don't know how to subscribe to threads! I asked the help people and they said there was a brown button at the top of the thread. Can't see it but if I'm being blind please do point it out!

Nothing really to report. Feeling skint as per usual. Are there any regular people in this day and age which don't feel skint though?

Had a quote for 2 windows and a door today as mine desperately need to be replaced £3.5k! I told him when he walked in that I was only after a quote to see how much I'd need to save up, told him I'm not interested in getting in any debt for them so no finance offers. He said don't you have any savings? I thought it's none of your bloody business! But yes I do and that's an emergency fund! Safe to say I won't be going with them and I'll be saving up for quite a bit! Notably after my debts are gone. Come on for a little peruse to lift my spirits.

Hope you guys are doing ok x
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 26th Aug 17, 2:44 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Chrystal
    On mine there is a 'subscribe to thread' button at the top of the thread page, left hand side betweem the red 'post reply' button and the 'thread tools' button. No idea if this is the old or new format.

Keep your chin up and remember it's baby steps that will get you where you want to be. No good looking at the big picture and getting depressed. Have you looked at the challenges? ie paying a small amount of a debt every day? Suprising how much difference it makes over a month. You'll get there

Subscribing
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 26th Aug 17, 7:18 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Chrystal you've cracked it! I had to go to the bottom of the page, click "go advanced" then it brought up a text box and under this there was a subscribe to thread option woooo! Well done! Thank you.

Your post was just what I needed today to set my head straight and you're so right about the baby steps. Going to have a look at the challenges now. Good suggestion. Thank you x

Been naughty today! It could have been an NSD but I bought the full price version of an app I've been trying out for a month. It was £32 but it's a diary app and I write in it every day it's like counselling and makes me keep my head (and life) straight and i think £32 for the year is cheaper than even one counselling session. You can also have different notebooks in this app and I don't know if I posted on here but I'm starting a uni course in autumn so I figured I could use this app to keep my notes in too! I know I sound like I'm trying to justify it and that's because I am but there are precious memories in there and I'd hate to lose them.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 30th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Chrystal you've cracked it! I had to go to the bottom of the page, click "go advanced" then it brought up a text box and under this there was a subscribe to thread option woooo! Well done! Thank you.

Your post was just what I needed today to set my head straight and you're so right about the baby steps. Going to have a look at the challenges now. Good suggestion. Thank you x

Been naughty today! It could have been an NSD but I bought the full price version of an app I've been trying out for a month. It was £32 but it's a diary app and I write in it every day it's like counselling and makes me keep my head (and life) straight and i think £32 for the year is cheaper than even one counselling session. You can also have different notebooks in this app and I don't know if I posted on here but I'm starting a uni course in autumn so I figured I could use this app to keep my notes in too! I know I sound like I'm trying to justify it and that's because I am but there are precious memories in there and I'd hate to lose them.
    Originally posted by Princesssparkle
    Glad you managed to get it sorted
    I think if the app helps you it's well worth 62p a week! Just remember to keep a little pot and put 70p weekly into it - to allow for inflation - when you have to pay it next year

Anything that helps you stay focused has got to be a good thing. X
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 8th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Haha brilliant idea about the inflation.
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 8th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Received my four year anniversary badge last week. It actually made me a little deflated and feeling like I haven't come very far in four years. But I have! I have a working car, I can see now I have my glasses, I have my wonderful house with a roof over my head and despite still being in debt... things will tick along, crap does happen in life and the only thing that matters is what I choose to do about it rather than dwelling on how I got to this point.

Baby steps! Baby steps!

Had some issues with the ex over the last month which have sent my head in to spirals. My new journal has saved me though! £32 well spent there!!! It has however made me crappy at making lunches for work, doing washing and I've been living off crumpets for dinner =(!!!

Now that I've sorted the ex out and blocked him in every way possible (despite having already done so!!!!), I feel quite motivated to start actually looking after myself. Tonight will be the last night of crumpets for dinner, I will be making my meal plan just like I used to and tomorrow I will be going food shopping!

Done some money sorting. I'm in a total debt of £7,664.40 and I have got everything on 0% and have a debt free date of April 2020 and will be paying £265 per month towards it. I've got little savings pots set up for things which come out annually like water and insurances and I have a pot for car fixings etc. I think I need to do a new full statement of affairs to make sure I have everything down correctly and get some advice on if anyone thinks I could make some improvements. Winters coming up and the pony gets quite expensive with food and bedding although I have been putting money aside each month like was suggested to hopefully even out the costs over the year.

Contemplating getting a Christmas temp weekend job to hopefully make life a little easier or maybe start a small admin business up at home. My uni books have been delivered this week though and I need to see actually how much time I have spare after working full time, studying part time and having a horse. Feel exhausted just writing about it!

Sorry for my ramblings. Off to have a nosey on some boards now. x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin