Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 7th Jul 16, 2:13 PM
    • 5,732Posts
    • 24,966Thanks
    Cinny91
    MFWW - Cinny's Comeback Kid
    • 7th Jul 16, 2:13 PM
    MFWW - Cinny's Comeback Kid 7th Jul 16 at 2:13 PM
    It's been months since I posted, but after a whirlwind of life as a new mum and a new family things are finally settling into a good routine and hopefully I'll have time to update here.

We made the decision to not buy our current home as we planned to in my last diary. We're now aiming to buy a house in my hometown in 2019 so we have time to settle there before Oscar starts school. We hoped our area would get better as the town grew, but the opposite is happening - so this is definitely not a place we want to be tied to with a house.

This means our gift deposit has been taken from the total, so we're 14k down. But we're still putting steadily into savings and I hope a diary will help keep us more accountable in the future to start saving more. Our aim is £20,000.

To save money we're currently -
    • Using cloth nappies and wipes
    • Meal planning and shopping locally to cut costs
    • Cut back on our sky package to £50pm (was over £100 )
    • Cancelled our cineworld cards
    • Bought an electric clothes dryer for £20 from groupon for nappies over winter and have rehomed our dryer.
    • Have a NT membership from my birthday for days out
    • and lastly I've asked for a pay rise when I return to work in October, so any extra from that can go straight into our savings. Fingers crossed!

House Deposit £18,275/20,000

Savings: £375/1000
    Weight loss 16/38lb GW: 150lb
Page 1
    • tim_n
    • By tim_n 7th Jul 16, 3:49 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    tim_n
    • 7th Jul 16, 3:49 PM
    • 7th Jul 16, 3:49 PM
    Good luck!
    Tim
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 7th Jul 16, 6:59 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    choccielover
    • 7th Jul 16, 6:59 PM
    • 7th Jul 16, 6:59 PM
    [*]Cancelled our cineworld cards
    [/LIST]
    Originally posted by Cinny91
    Haha, yes ours went once the little one came along. Even when we could get to the cinema we were so knackered we fell asleep....

We use the meerkats code now so effectively go for half price when we can make it (not often)

Good luck
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    OP in 2016 - Jan £599.45 Feb £1584.13 Mar £299.10
    Apr £880.37 May £1007.26 June £929.56 July £948
    2016 Target £10,000
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 7th Jul 16, 8:22 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    • 7th Jul 16, 8:22 PM
    • 7th Jul 16, 8:22 PM
    Thanks tim_m!

And that's exactly it, Choccielover! I think we've been all of once since he was born. Oscar spends a few hours on Sunday with my parents which would be prime time to go but it's a case of could go to the cinema or.. could go have a nap

• choccielover
    • By choccielover 7th Jul 16, 10:28 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    choccielover
    • 7th Jul 16, 10:28 PM
    • 7th Jul 16, 10:28 PM
    Thanks tim_m!

And that's exactly it, Choccielover! I think we've been all of once since he was born. Oscar spends a few hours on Sunday with my parents which would be prime time to go but it's a case of could go to the cinema or.. could go have a nap
    Originally posted by Cinny91
    Get used to it, ours is 4 and on the very rare nights someone has her we struggle to find the energy to celebrate and get out.,!
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    OP in 2016 - Jan £599.45 Feb £1584.13 Mar £299.10
    Apr £880.37 May £1007.26 June £929.56 July £948
    2016 Target £10,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 16, 10:36 PM
    • 44,858 Posts
    • 155,433 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 7th Jul 16, 10:36 PM
    • 7th Jul 16, 10:36 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 12th Jul 16, 5:54 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    • 12th Jul 16, 5:54 PM
    • 12th Jul 16, 5:54 PM
    Hey!

Had a busy weekend and Monday so when I tried to update, it always fell through. Which will be a running theme!

Didn't have a very MSE weekend, but it's set us up for a few MSE weeks. We do a big monthly shop, and then smaller shops throughout the month. This weekend was the big shop. £70 spent, although only £48 of that was for us while the rest was a mixture of things for Oscar and household items.

We also had a trip to ToysRus as they had the filters for Oscar's machine for £8.99 where we'd been paying £10.49 for them - we stocked up on enough to see us through until Oscar is over a year old and we'll be phasing formula out anyways. We also got two bigger bottles and soothers for him as they had them nicely reduced to £3.74 - We would buy cheaper ones but he has issues with latching (the reason we couldn't BF) and MAM is all he can latch on to.

But, we've not spend any money since then! We're running low on fruit but we're away for a long weekend from Friday so there's no need to buy any. On a mission to use up veggies in the house so I don't see us spending anything until we need to buy groceries when we get to the Lake District.

I've listed Oscar's smaller things on eBay, and will no doubt have another lot of 3-6 month items to list pretty soon as he's edging away into 6-9month things. Have some watchers but no bids, I'm not too sad if they don't sell as I have pregnant friends who'll take them but I thought some extra ££ can't hurt.

Not much to report other than that! When we get back from our break we'll be getting properly stuck into things.

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 21st Jul 16, 8:05 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    • 21st Jul 16, 8:05 PM
    • 21st Jul 16, 8:05 PM
    Only £10 + postage on ebay sales but that's better than nothing!

Had a nice break, was good to just spend time with DH with nothing to focus on but us and the tiny human. Bar the aftermath of one poop explosion, there was no laundry for 4 whole days. Bliss!!

We went to look at the locations of some houses we both love from the estate agents on Tuesday. Was an excellent thing to do as we're both feeling more motivated to save. If we can do £750 a month up to the end of the year we'll have our target deposit, follow that up with a few months saving so our savings aren't completely gone, and then we can start looking after Oscar turns 1. Hopefully!

Have my car at the garage tomorrow, we discovered in 27deg heat that my aircon is no more and trailing around the quietness of the lakes made it horrifically clear one of my wheels is basically screaming. Will load up Oscar and spend the morning with my Grandparents so I don't have to worry about a taxi home while we wait as no one can give us a lift. I'm using a local garage that we're family friends with so fingers crossed it won't cost the world!

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 1st Aug 16, 11:23 AM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    • 1st Aug 16, 11:23 AM
    • 1st Aug 16, 11:23 AM
    Was DH's payday on Friday so £750 went into the house pot Would love to add another £250 by the end of the month which is doable at a squeeze, will be so much easier when I go back to work in October and my wage doubles up.

Definitely feeling extra pressure to save and move at the moment, we've had a string of break ins, arson, joy riders and attacks locally and we just don't feel at home in our home anymore. Would love to be out of here by next spring as planned but if we could bring it forward, it'd be perfect.

Spent £56.75 on groceries this week too, including Oscar's milk. Had to wing it with no list so it could have been worse, and we've been making enough for left overs so can stretch it a bit further. My Sister and I have started an Aldi challenge - imessage each other a photo of our receipts to see who can spend the least each week. Absolutely no prize other than pride but it works. I lost this week, unsurprisingly

Still waiting on 2 buyers to pay from ebay which makes me wonder if it's worth it. There are a few nearly-new sales after the school holidays and I think I'm going to try my luck there instead.

Had a fairly cheap weekend all in. Went to a pub for dinner on Saturday which was £25, and I bought my left overs home. Had a baby-free afternoon, so resisted the urge to go to our local BHS's last day (because it isn't a bargain if you don't need it.. unfortunately) and stayed at home - watched some Netflix, cleaned up etc! Sunday was more savvy, we went to a local National Trust property and almost ruined the MSE vibes by being terrible, unprepared parents forgetting a blanket for Oscar and the weather suddenly going chilly. But we resisted again (because a £31.50 blanket for stupidity is easy to resist) and discovered a basket of blankets to borrow just around the corner from the gift shop! And just as we were about to check one out, the sun decided to make an appearance and all was good

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 17th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Well, that was a massive false start!

It's my first day back at work today, my Mum has really generously offered to have Oscar while I'm here which is saving us a small fortune as well as meaning I can come back to work. I already feel more like a contributing member of society again. Plus I have free hands for hot drinks and updating on here again, which I think is going to be crucial to keep us on track with Christmas around the corner.

Speaking of, I started my present buying last week. Normally start in the Summer sales, but I've written out a list so I can stick to a budget and find the best prices. I still need to find my present for Oscar, as we're only getting him one thing each. I've also been putting a shoe box together to send off to a charity for children in eastern Europe, I did mean to find a charity giving gifts to the refugee children in Calais. Which I'm hoping is something I can do with Oscar every year, now he just mostly falls to sleep in the shop.

My new goal is to save £1,000 before we go away on the 9th of December. DH is incredibly stressed about the cost of Christmas, worried it'll take away from being able to reach our 20k target so the more I can save and pay for the better. It's basically impossible, I need to save £105 a week until then. Which I can do, I'm sure I can. Just need budgets, to stay sensible and to not have a little panic over it.

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 24th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Decided I need to start doing more so I can post more positive updates on here more often, because today is a mixed bag.

Positive: Christmas pot is up to £205
    Spoke to Sky over the weekend and our contract is up at the end of January, made a reminder to call up at the end of December to cancel.
    Downgraded my phone contract to sim only saving £40 a month - have 14 days to look for a better offer
    Finally got Oscar to the £2 (£1.80 for prebooming!) kids cinema

Negative: Discovered that us "not needing to worry" about money while I was on maternity leave has actually left us £1250 in the red it's not OH's fault, not really. I wasn't great after Oscar was born and I know why he kept it to himself. But it's no wonder he's been stressed!

New New Targets:
    Save £1000 by December 9th
    Clear CC asap
    Save £20,000 by December 31st

No idea if any of this is even remotely doable. We don't have a great time for making extra money so just need to get savvy with what we do have!

• Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 24th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    It took me longer than I should admit to work out what 'prebooming' meant there!

Sorry to state the obvious, but are you able to take money from your deposit fund to pay off the debt, or is it locked away? I know I find it easier to only have one pot to concentrate on.
    Get Slinky for Santa Challenge: 3/11 (7/40 in total)
    *Currently reading: H is for Hawk (18/25 in 2016)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 24th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Don't worry Tete, I have no recollection of how/when it was used myself!

It's not locked away, but OH is very reluctant to take from it. He has the mindset that if he takes from them for one thing, that it'll just open the floodgates (or so to speak!) I'd personally find it easier if we did that, and then just paid extra back into savings - but if people think I'm stubborn, I'm not a patch on him!

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 25th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    For the sake of covering all bases I asked OH about paying the credit card off with some of our savings - and nope. How do I even get my cool debt free badge taken off me? The CC isn't in my name but I feel like a fraud!

Found a much better mobile deal that will save me another £4pm and get a free £80 amazon voucher, OH is also thinking of switching so we'll most likely pay the vouchers forward on Zeek for (a little less) "real" money that we can put into the savings pot, as well as what we save each month.

Oscar's been given a wooden activity cube from someone at work. Which makes me feel less mean for showing him all the wonders of the Sainsbury's toy sale and walking away I feel like such a miser next to all the other mums at play group who can't help buying their kids things every time they go to the shops

Found some excellent looking gift in a jar ideas for people for Christmas. Have 99% of the ingredients already and just need to get the jars, also need to get some things to make a friend a redneck wine glass to go with her cocktail hamper. Determined to stay frugal but cute when it comes to friends gifts this year.

Small TT of 63p into the savings pot. Just on the wind down until OH's payday so trying to stay savvy and shoot daggers I can see even a millimeter of credit card sticking out of his wallet.

• Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 26th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 24,966 Thanks
    Cinny91
    I was thinking things over last night and I've decided the only way I'm going to tackle the savings and CC is if I start budgeting every penny. I typically put money to one side for savings and bills, and the rest is a free for all type situation.

I won't know my new wage fully until Friday (got a pay rise which is a small miracle!) but I've been working out roughly what I spend my money on and can budget from there.

Fuel will be an expense as I'm making three 20-mile-trips to drop Oscar at my parents, plus 2 trips into the city for mum groups on the day off. I used to do maybe 30 miles a week in comparison, so my fuel gauge looks like it's just slipping away from me recently. I had a look at the fuel calculators and it's roughly £17 a week. Going to see what I can do to reduce the cost, and think about trips in terms of what it costs in real £. If anyone has any tips they'd be greatly appreciated

Going to the cinema tomorrow now instead of Saturday, which works out better as I won't be rushing around all day Saturday to get to places on time. So a £1.80 spend for tomorrow - will make sure I have a proper breakfast with Oscar and a drink on the way so I don't go for snacks.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,168Posts Today

5,570Users online

Martin's Twitter