Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• peeta
    • By peeta 3rd Jul 16, 9:57 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    New build house, GSHP
    • 3rd Jul 16, 9:57 PM
    New build house, GSHP 3rd Jul 16 at 9:57 PM
    Hi all, just after some advice if that's ok.
    We decided to go with a GSHP for our new build house. We chose an installer (who incidentally also did our first-fix plumbing).

There was a small gap (2-3 months) whilst we were deciding on horizontal or vertical collector systems. At no point did we agree that that original installer would also do the collectors.
    We did get a quote from this company for a horizontal system, but we eventually chose a drilling company to produce the boreholes, lay they pipework, manifolds and even fill the system. This will start this week.

I contacted the installer of the GSHP to let them know that the GSHP will need commissioning after the collectors are in place.
    The installer sounded very disinterested and suggested that the drilling company should commission the system. Is this right?

I'm worried that the installer has lost interest (he's been paid for the full amount of installation). In particular we need to ensure the system is performing, it has to be properly commissioned and of course the RHI paperwork has to be completed.

Who is responsible for commissioning the GSHP?

many thanks

Page 2
    • peeta
    • By peeta 7th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    we used Killfrost GEO, i think the concentration is normal about 30% i'd say. their argument is that it wasn't mixed thoroughly and parts of it is much denser causing the apparent flow problems.

as I said, there's no way to prove this claim, but they feel that I, or someone has to cover their costs.
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 7th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    Killfrost appears to be a propylene glycol base from what I have seen from the product specs. It is purported to be low viscosity, so therefore should not go into a viscous state in the lower part of the borehole.
    30% concentration should be ok, as minimum is 25%.
    I would suggest that the line that is causing the problem is disconnected and has a full flow test including discharge externally to the system. The fact that you saw brown water coming out does point to a blockage of possibly mud in that circuit.
    If it was not mixed properly, then that would be the installer problem.
    You need to make sure the probes are pressurized to between 2-4 bar and hold that for at least 20 mins.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
    • peeta
    • By peeta 18th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    well the good news is that the loops are flowing well, but the installer is denying that the antifreeze and how it was mixed had anything to do with the problem.
    needless to say he has no interest in helping with the extra costs...

that's not really the problem because the issue now is that the installer is refusing to help with the RHI application. He is not MSC registered - although he gave us the impression he was.
    He produced a calculation for the RHI payments and was aware that as a residential installation the RHI was critical for making the investment cost effective for us.
    Now refusing to take calls and I have no idea who can certify our heat pump
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

22Posts Today

4,076Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Magwa61: @MartinSLewis thank you Sorry I thought it was you, conning sids ????????????????????????????????????

• No. It's NEVER the right way to switch energy. Please don't confused these 'moneyexpert' sales reps with my site mo?

• The MSE weekly email: Energy hike warning, No7 trick, £400 marriage bonus, £3 photo mug, railcard 15%off, 3.1% loan

• Follow Martin