Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ardvo
    • By ardvo 28th Jun 16, 11:16 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ardvo
    Brexits - effect on the HOUSING MARKET ? house prices + Mortgage lenders lending ??
    • 28th Jun 16, 11:16 PM
    Brexits - effect on the HOUSING MARKET ? house prices + Mortgage lenders lending ?? 28th Jun 16 at 11:16 PM
    How will leaving the EU has been voted, affect the housing property marking in the next years to come,

especially house prices ?

and mortgage lenders offering mortgages ?

How will they be affected ?
    Last edited by ardvo; 28-06-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Page 56
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 22nd Sep 16, 9:46 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I appreciate this is a rather difficult concept for the hard of thinking to grasp, but you do realise that all other houses will equally have "brilliant" price rises so you won't be in any better position at all, in fact it will cost you more if you wish to trade up to a bigger house or nicer area, or are you hoping that your house will be the only one on the market to have a "brilliant" rise in price?
    Originally posted by iantojones40
    This has so little to do with the quoted post that I genuinely wonder if some of the contributors on here are bots rather than people. Anyway, pretty useless thread, going round and round in circles with the same people endlessly replying with variations of the same post. Perhaps they think if they say the same thing over and over again they might start to actually believe it.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 22nd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No, I don't. Do you?

Thought not
    Originally posted by jimbog

I`ll give you a clue - Is it more or less than 25 years ago......?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 22nd Sep 16, 10:03 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    This has so little to do with the quoted post that I genuinely wonder if some of the contributors on here are bots rather than people. Anyway, pretty useless thread, going round and round in circles with the same people endlessly replying with variations of the same post. Perhaps they think if they say the same thing over and over again they might start to actually believe it.
    Originally posted by shortcrust

Why not make it useful? Can you tell us who will be buying your house in 25 years to pay for care costs or whatever if young people can`t buy a house now?
    • nubbins
    • By nubbins 22nd Sep 16, 10:17 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    nubbins
    "if young people can`t buy a house now?"
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://brightside.me/inspiration-psychology/why-young-people-dont-buy-cars-and-apartments-anymore-238710/
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 22nd Sep 16, 11:47 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    If you take the country as a whole, even excluding Greater London you'll have to agree that the prices are not affordable.
    Houses are not affordable for most of us.
    Originally posted by indianabones
    I do not agree and neither do the 90,000 people who bought a property in May, the 95,000 people who bought in June and the 100,000 people who bought a property in July this year.

Amazon Prime Customer?
    Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to 79 a year!
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 23rd Sep 16, 6:47 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    You need to be a bit more careful with your googling!

The average age of buyers is apparently 30. Average. This means a lot of buyers in their 20's. Average deposit is 17% and the number of ftb has risen.

Hardly supports wild claims of houses being unaffordable.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/buying/first-time-buyers/average-age-of-firsttime-buyers-rises-to-30-in-the-uk-and-32-in-london-a102966.html
    Last edited by glasgowdan; 23-09-2016 at 6:53 AM.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 23rd Sep 16, 10:55 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Why not make it useful? Can you tell us who will be buying your house in 25 years to pay for care costs or whatever if young people can`t buy a house now?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    You can buy it if you like, you'll have seen the light be then

I'm being flippant, but if a house is being sold for care then it's the last of your concerns at that point.

And I'll have spent 25 years enjoying my own home. But this is just repeating - you have your view, I respect that, it doesn't match my own and my only real issue is the overall philosophy that the people spouting all this will be the first to buy a house if everything crashes so you are spending your life hoping for other people's misfortune.

That said my friend has just rented the most amazing house - its one I'd love to own and something he could never hope to buy. But he can't bank on a long term future there, he could lose it for many reasons.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 12:37 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I do not agree and neither do the 90,000 people who bought a property in May, the 95,000 people who bought in June and the 100,000 people who bought a property in July this year.
    Originally posted by MobileSaver

Sure they didn`t just re-mortgage?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 12:43 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You can buy it if you like, you'll have seen the light be then

I'm being flippant, but if a house is being sold for care then it's the last of your concerns at that point.

And I'll have spent 25 years enjoying my own home. But this is just repeating - you have your view, I respect that, it doesn't match my own and my only real issue is the overall philosophy that the people spouting all this will be the first to buy a house if everything crashes so you are spending your life hoping for other people's misfortune.

That said my friend has just rented the most amazing house - its one I'd love to own and something he could never hope to buy. But he can't bank on a long term future there, he could lose it for many reasons.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk

If you don`t/can`t pay the mortgage you will lose "your" house, if the area or neighbours change and you want to move you can`t until you manage to find a buyer (and if the change is bad you probably won`t find a buyer) Having a mortgage on a house isn`t a Silver Bullet for life, much as many on here seem to want to believe that.
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 23rd Sep 16, 12:49 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Sure they didn`t just re-mortgage?
    I bought one in April.

Might buy another one around about November time - some fabulous yields available around the Bridgwater area. Stuff the house full of Poles (the best type of tenant IME) and sit back and watch the wedge flow. I have a bond maturing next month and there's no way I'm going to watch it earn Sweet Fanny Adams in a poxy ISA.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 1:36 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I bought one in April.

Might buy another one around about November time - some fabulous yields available around the Bridgwater area. Stuff the house full of Poles (the best type of tenant IME) and sit back and watch the wedge flow. I have a bond maturing next month and there's no way I'm going to watch it earn Sweet Fanny Adams in a poxy ISA.
    Originally posted by Bluebirdman of Alcathays

What effect do you think Brexit will have on the numbers of available tenants?
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 23rd Sep 16, 1:38 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    What effect do you think Brexit will have on the numbers of available tenants?
    Negligible. Capitalism is predicated on a growing population. There is no way our government are going to let us do a Japan and flatline completely. We'll keep importing people from somewhere, if it's Aleppo rather than Warsaw so be it.
    Last edited by Bluebirdman of Alcathays; 23-09-2016 at 1:43 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 1:47 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Negligible. Capitalism is predicated on a growing population. There is no way our government are going to let us do a Japan and flatline completely. We'll keep importing people from somewhere, if it's Aleppo rather than Warsaw so be it.

The electorate don`t want that to happen though, so are you predicting that the government will deny the will of the majority and face the consequences at the ballot box?
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 23rd Sep 16, 1:50 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    The electorate don`t want that to happen though, so are you predicting that the government will deny the will of the majority and face the consequences at the ballot box?
    Deny the will of the people.....get real. Very few people give two hoots about immigration. The Tories and Labour before them had an open door policy - the electorate seem to like it.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Deny the will of the people.....get real. Very few people give two hoots about immigration. The Tories and Labour before them had an open door policy - the electorate seem to like it.

Did you miss the Brexit vote then, or are you just at the wind up?
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 23rd Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Did you miss the Brexit vote then, or are you just at the wind up?
    No I didn't. I voted to Leave. I couldn't care less about immigration. Just like Dan Hannah (and many others).

The world isn't as binary as you think.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 2:16 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No I didn't. I voted to Leave. I couldn't care less about immigration. Just like Dan Hannah (and many others).

The world isn't as binary as you think.

Will the Brexit result make the UK a less favourable destination for your potential tenants though?
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 23rd Sep 16, 2:19 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Will the Brexit result make the UK a less favourable destination for your potential tenants though?
    Who knows? Not me, and certainly not you - I don't mean to be rude, but your economic predictions are singularly hopeless.

The early signs suggest it won't be bad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37428764
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 23rd Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Who knows? Not me, and certainly not you - I don't mean to be rude, but your economic predictions are singularly hopeless.

The early signs suggest it won't be bad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37428764

Can you quote one of my economic predictions, or are you too busy taking investment master-classes with the BBC....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

6,937Users online

Martin's Twitter