Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ardvo
    • By ardvo 28th Jun 16, 11:16 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ardvo
    Brexits - effect on the HOUSING MARKET ? house prices + Mortgage lenders lending ??
    • 28th Jun 16, 11:16 PM
    Brexits - effect on the HOUSING MARKET ? house prices + Mortgage lenders lending ?? 28th Jun 16 at 11:16 PM
    How will leaving the EU has been voted, affect the housing property marking in the next years to come,

especially house prices ?

and mortgage lenders offering mortgages ?

How will they be affected ?
    Last edited by ardvo; 28-06-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Page 53
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 20th Sep 16, 7:01 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    That's just lovely crash legend. Sitting up late at night swigging a bottle of red wine on the daily mail site looking for oh so credible articles that anyone cares about other than you? What an image.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 20th Sep 16, 10:52 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    sheff6107

Excuse me?!? 100,000 buyers a month is "nobody" and "crippling lows", are you for real?!??!
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    The truth is in between. 100,000 sounds a big number, but it's below par:

• Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 20th Sep 16, 11:51 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    That's just lovely crash legend. Sitting up late at night swigging a bottle of red wine on the daily mail site looking for oh so credible articles that anyone cares about other than you? What an image.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan

Quarter past midnight, late at night? You do come out with some strange observations. It was whisky and coke actually, and certainly not the whole bottle but of course you miss the main point of the post as usual.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 20th Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-19/two-of-fed-s-own-primary-dealers-warn-shock-hike-awaits-markets
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 20th Sep 16, 12:37 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    What is your point? Doesn't necessarily follow UK will raise rates - and even if UK did, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Mortgage offers aren't that good considering the low rates but what you can get on savings is appalling because of it.

Are you also not-buying in America?
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 20th Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    Um, no. The truth is that 100,000 is a big number and is neither "nobody" or "crippling lows." But of course why let the facts get in the way of your fantasy story.

Amazon Prime Customer?
    Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to £79 a year!
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 20th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Um, no. The truth is that 100,000 is a big number and is neither "nobody" or "crippling lows." But of course why let the facts get in the way of your fantasy story.
    Guess what, 40,000 is a bloody big number as well. But by your reasoning December 2008 was hunky dory whereas it was the worst month of the crash.

Don't lump me in the ideas of a certain poster on here. I'm just pointing out that the market is sluggish for most, that's all.
    • CLAPTON
    • By CLAPTON 20th Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    • 39,881 Posts
    • 28,478 Thanks
    CLAPTON

Originally posted by sheff6107
    what do you consider is 'par'
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 21st Sep 16, 2:30 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    jimbog
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37427737
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 21st Sep 16, 4:12 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Looks like certain groups targeting of various forums trying to incite panic and lower prices has missed its mark somewhat. Not really a surprise!

I just had offer accepted on some woodland today so I'm a happy bunny, brexit not putting me off land investment!
    • iantojones40
    • By iantojones40 21st Sep 16, 4:12 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    iantojones40
    "The house buying process will have started some time before the referendum" (meaning transaction data for August is irrelevant regarding the brexit effect)

"Mortgage data has shown some signs of a post vote slow down"

... gloomy news indeed for the uk property market, rather a strangely misleading headline considering the actual content of the article, oh wait, it's the vile bbc, property market rampers extraordinaire.
    • iantojones40
    • By iantojones40 21st Sep 16, 4:28 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    iantojones40
    Looks like certain groups targeting of various forums trying to incite panic and lower prices has missed its mark somewhat. Not really a surprise!

I just had offer accepted on some woodland today so I'm a happy bunny, brexit not putting me off land investment!
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    Yay! Well done! Good on you!

It's lovely to hear of someone buying their own little piece of countryside and nature and not worrying about the fact financially it won't actually prove profitable.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 21st Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    glasgowdan

It's lovely to hear of someone buying their own little piece of countryside and nature and not worrying about the fact financially it won't actually prove profitable.
    Originally posted by iantojones40
    Do you appreciate how clueless this makes you sound? Are you planning to buy a house sometime in the future? Just so we have some background on you and understand your reasons for being so ignorant.
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 21st Sep 16, 11:11 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    AFF8879
    FTBs have been well and truly priced out in many parts of the country ...
    Originally posted by johnbusby
    I don't know why people constantly refer to "the housing crisis" as if it were some national phenomenon. In the vast majority of the U.K., housing is affordable and in many areas actually dirt cheap.

The problem from what I can gather is with a shift to urban lifestyles. Hence cities and commuter towns have seen massive increases in price driven by this (amongst other factors of course).

I bought my first flat in London a few months back using years worth of savings, knowing the same money could have bought me a huge 4/5 bedroom house in other parts of the country. People want to live where they are happy and will make sacrifices to do so - speaking to my parents, friends and colleagues, it doesn't sound like buying a house was ever cheap or easy. People have to scrimp and save.

Why is it a travesty that not everyone can afford to buy a house?? Surely the government should focus on ensuring affordable rental accommodation is available, as let's be honest it's not as though minimum wage earners are likely to be able to afford a mortgage - and crippling them with high rents is more unjust than them not being able to buy, IMO.
    • iantojones40
    • By iantojones40 22nd Sep 16, 6:55 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    iantojones40
    Do you appreciate how clueless this makes you sound? Are you planning to buy a house sometime in the future? Just so we have some background on you and understand your reasons for being so ignorant.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Why would I be wanting to buy a house sometime in the future?
    Just to satisfy your curiosity... I bought my house in 2000, when prices were sensible, my deposit was 35% and my mortgage was 2x my single, part-time wage and I paid it off in less than 10 years, all whilst still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.
    Whilst my house may now be worth over 3x what I paid for it that means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't benefit me in anyway whatsoever.

I just find it rather sad and pathetic when people such as yourself who have just recently bought into the peak of the biggest property price bubble the country has ever seen then spend all their time on the internet desperately trying to convince the world that they've made a sound decision and they're not at all bothered about the fact that they're going to spend the rest of their working lives and unprecedented proportions of their incomes servicing their mortgage debt.
    If you at least admitted that you've had no choice but to allow yourself to be bent over, financially shafted and turned into a debt slave, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the fact that you constantly try to convince yourself and others that you had some kind of free choice in the matter.

Now, do please explain why my previous post re buying woodland was so clueless...
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 22nd Sep 16, 7:44 AM
    • 951 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    recently bought into the peak of the biggest property price bubble the country has ever seen
    "Recently"? Crashy and his HPC mates kept telling us the peak was in 2014, were they wrong?

If you at least admitted that you've had no choice but to allow yourself to be bent over, financially shafted and turned into a debt slave
    Or perhaps people just wanted to buy a home to live in and get on with their lives?

Amazon Prime Customer?
    Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to £79 a year!
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 22nd Sep 16, 8:00 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Why would I be wanting to buy a house sometime in the future?
    Just to satisfy your curiosity... I bought my house in 2000, when prices were sensible, my deposit was 35% and my mortgage was 2x my single, part-time wage and I paid it off in less than 10 years, all whilst still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.
    Whilst my house may now be worth over 3x what I paid for it that means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't benefit me in anyway whatsoever.

I just find it rather sad and pathetic when people such as yourself who have just recently bought into the peak of the biggest property price bubble the country has ever seen then spend all their time on the internet desperately trying to convince the world that they've made a sound decision and they're not at all bothered about the fact that they're going to spend the rest of their working lives and unprecedented proportions of their incomes servicing their mortgage debt.
    If you at least admitted that you've had no choice but to allow yourself to be bent over, financially shafted and turned into a debt slave, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the fact that you constantly try to convince yourself and others that you had some kind of free choice in the matter.

Now, do please explain why my previous post re buying woodland was so clueless...
    You're doing a good job of explaining it yourself 😀

I last bought in 2009 and paid the house off in 2014. Our new house will be paid off in 5 years and we intend to be here for 40 years so why would I care about the value of the house swinging up or down? I'm a man of a scientific mind and tend to use evidence to form my opinions. But braying around forums declaring things that are plain wrong... that's your forte, aligned perfectly with crash legend. Thumbs up!!!
    • iantojones40
    • By iantojones40 22nd Sep 16, 8:04 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    iantojones40
    "Recently"? Crashy and his HPC mates kept telling us the peak was in 2014, were they wrong?

Or perhaps people just wanted to buy a home to live in and get on with their lives?
    I think you meant to say get on with spending the rest of their working lives and huge proportions of their incomes paying for it, whilst trying to convince themselves and the rest of the world that they had a choice in the matter.

The fact that Glasgowdan frequently feels the need to resort to abusive outbursts aimed at complete strangers on the internet and doesn't seem capable of engaging in a rational and reasoned debate perhaps suggests he has quite a lot of pent up frustration and anger as a result of the rather unfortunate position he finds himself now in.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 22nd Sep 16, 8:24 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    Ozzuk

Thank you! It's a sound investment due to location/access but that wasn't the reason for buying it, it's the fact it's all mine, no people around and will be a weekend escape.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 22nd Sep 16, 8:34 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I think you meant to say get on with spending the rest of their working lives and huge proportions of their incomes paying for it, whilst trying to convince themselves and the rest of the world that they had a choice in the matter.

The fact that Glasgowdan frequently feels the need to resort to abusive outbursts aimed at complete strangers on the internet and doesn't seem capable of engaging in a rational and reasoned debate perhaps suggests he has quite a lot of pent up frustration and anger as a result of the rather unfortunate position he finds himself now in.
    I've recently bought a house and I'm paying less on my mortgage than I was paying in rent, for a bigger place in a better location. So if I hadn't bought I'd be spending a larger proportion of my income with nothing to show for it. So I did have a choice, but a pretty easy one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,546Posts Today

7,071Users online

Martin's Twitter