Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Biollante21
    • By Biollante21 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Walk 1000 miles
    • 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    Walk 1000 miles 21st Jun 16 at 5:08 PM
    Is anybody on here doing the Country Walking magazine walk 1000 miles in a year challenge
    Would be great to chat if there is
    I am up to 396 miles since Feb 14th and its been a fantastic way to lose weight and change shape and also to get back into 8 pairs of jeans i had living in the wardrobe
    Will get there!!
    Pay off Argos card by Xmas 2016 - 20/06/16 £1475.00 owed - 21/06/16 £1400.00 owed
Page 5
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 18th Oct 16, 7:39 AM
    • 4,343 Posts
    • 22,842 Thanks
    That's the benefit of dogs, you aren't exercising, you are just out with the dogs. I do like to just go for a walk sometimes without them, but it soone starts to feel odd.

IIRC, I read that walking is one of those exercises that people are more likely to maintain, it costs nothing but a half decent pair of shoes, it's something people of all levels of fitness can take up and improve on and it's surprisingly easy to slot it in to your day whilst actually doing something else, posting a letter, going to the shops, seeing a friend.

For some reason Stephen Fry and walking popped into my head

Fry now walks everywhere, within reason. If he has an appointment and it is 5 miles away, he will walk it. And then walk back afterwards.

New puppy on Friday........I forsee a lot of walks, she's going to be a bit bigger than the others when she grows up! ( That's how excited I am)
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 18th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 12,480 Thanks
    So frustrating, a friend commented that he jogs 5 miles a day and everyone says 'well done for keeping up with your training'
    I comment that I have been walking 5 miles a day and the only reply back was 'do you not get bored'
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    When I am out and about in my village doing my three miles in 50 minutes I often come across runners dressed in their designer sportswear, sprinting past me. I'm sure they must think I am just playing at exercising.

The people who think there is no point in walking are those that can't be bothered to get off their backside.

Bye the way I'm up to 842 miles now.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I both run and walk. Although mainly my walking is in the lake district, peak district or yorkshire dales. I can't seem to make myself walk locally so just go out for a run.

I say ignore what people think and just keep walking.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 22nd Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    36 miles this week
    That's me up to 485.6 for the year since June when I started this challenge
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 485.6
    This week - 36
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,799Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin