Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Biollante21
    • By Biollante21 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Biollante21
    Walk 1000 miles
    • 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    Walk 1000 miles 21st Jun 16 at 5:08 PM
    Is anybody on here doing the Country Walking magazine walk 1000 miles in a year challenge
    Would be great to chat if there is
    I am up to 396 miles since Feb 14th and its been a fantastic way to lose weight and change shape and also to get back into 8 pairs of jeans i had living in the wardrobe
    Will get there!!
    Pay off Argos card by Xmas 2016 - 20/06/16 £1475.00 owed - 21/06/16 £1400.00 owed
Page 4
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 9:24 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    You may just have the edge on me there indesisiv!
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Last minute attempt at getting fit before a 15k trail race next weekend with a wee bit of hills in it. I'm actually using a 7 mile race this weekend as a tempo run.
    I got a bit carried away with my short speed training trying to bring my 5k PB down and forgot I had some longer races coming up.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 23rd Sep 16, 11:07 AM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    bugslet
    Good luck with that. A friend of mine did the Great North the other weekend and had a great time ( 2hours 24, which I think was respectable).

I've just worked out that I average about 45 miles a week on walking, never running though
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good luck with that. A friend of mine did the Great North the other weekend and had a great time ( 2hours 24, which I think was respectable).

I've just worked out that I average about 45 miles a week on walking, never running though
    Great North run is a half marathon, I've done one of those in 1hr 33mins. That was back in June and was the furthest I had ever run, the last mile took a long time as I had injured myself on the way up the hill. Only just this month got back to not hurting when running so not too keen on doing another one anytime soon. I think more than 6 months of running would be better before attempting to run it fast.

45 miles is a long time walking Its an impressive distance!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 23rd Sep 16, 11:34 AM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    bugslet
    Great North run is a half marathon, I've done one of those in 1hr 33mins. That was back in June and was the furthest I had ever run, the last mile took a long time as I had injured myself on the way up the hill. Only just this month got back to not hurting when running so not too keen on doing another one anytime soon. I think more than 6 months of running would be better before attempting to run it fast.

45 miles is a long time walking Its an impressive distance!
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    My friend is in her mid - late 50s and until a couple of years ago had never run at all, she was happy with anything under 3 hours. 1 hour 33 is elite runner status as far as I'm concerned

It's having dogs, they like their walks, so it's not optional
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 28th Sep 16, 10:21 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    Checking in. I did a Ranger Ramble on Sunday, haven't done a group walk for a long time, much prefer to walk alone. It was 12 miles, so another boost to my total which now stands at 784. I have passed the target for September, the next one is 832 at the end of October. Aiming to have three days away in Derbyshire next week.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 2nd Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Good week last week with over 36 miles done and a good start to this week with a 12 mile walk round Loch Leven today
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 694.7
    This week - 44.5
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 3rd Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I think I will need to adjust my weekly target upwards, I am definitely hooked now and I am managing the 25 mile target easily every week without even trying now.

That being said, starting this week, I will increase my target figure to 30 miles/week and see how I get on for the rest of this month

This week - 44.5
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 3rd Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    I think I will need to adjust my weekly target upwards, I am definitely hooked now and I am managing the 25 mile target easily every week without even trying now.

That being said, starting this week, I will increase my target figure to 30 miles/week and see how I get on for the rest of this month
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Good for you Wiz, I know what you mean about getting hooked. I feel as if I am cheating and letting myself down if I miss a day. I enter my numbers daily on a calendar and don't like to add a x where I have missed. It's a bit like saving, watching the numbers grow, or similar to watching numbers go down when trying to lose weight, Which I aren't, ha ha.

Keeping fit, saving money, and keeping the weight off is a long term thing. I may well carry it on for another year because I feel a whole lot better for all the walking.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    Checking in. I did 28 miles last week, didn't go to Derbyshire but chose the Youth Hostel at Mankinholes instead. At £7 a night and self catering, it was a very frugal holiday.

Total now stands at 824 miles. Not long and not far to go now

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Checking in. I did 28 miles last week, didn't go to Derbyshire but chose the Youth Hostel at Mankinholes instead. At £7 a night and self catering, it was a very frugal holiday.

Total now stands at 824 miles. Not long and not far to go now

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Youth hostels are great. I have just booked 2 nights in the peak district for next June for £32 (this includes breakfast for both mornings)

Good going with the walking.
    I've got a three walk around the lake district starting this weekend
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    Youth hostels are great. I have just booked 2 nights in the peak district for next June for £32 (this includes breakfast for both mornings)

Good going with the walking.
    I've got a three walk around the lake district starting this weekend
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Which hostel is it, I have been to most of them. Please say it is Hartington Hall. Their breakfasts are fantastic, fills you up a treat for the day. I should go to the Lakes more often, but it's a long way to drive there. Have a good time. Have you been up Helvelyn via Striding Edge? That's hairy, ha ha. Keep on plodding along eh!
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Which hostel is it, I have been to most of them. Please say it is Hartington Hall. Their breakfasts are fantastic, fills you up a treat for the day. I should go to the Lakes more often, but it's a long way to drive there. Have a good time. Have you been up Helvelyn via Striding Edge? That's hairy, ha ha. Keep on plodding along eh!
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Its actually Castleton. I need to be up near Ladybower reservoir on the Sat for a Marathon trail race. I love the edale area.

Yes I have been up helvellyn that way, and via, swirral edge in the snow, up the zigzags from greensides, up sticks pass and via dollywaggon. Only way I've not done it is from Dunmail raise.
    I spend a lot of time in the lakes as it is only a 3hr drive from here to get to most parts (except wasdale, etc on the west side)

Keswick - buttermere - grassmere back to keswick is this weekends trip.
    I am also up in Keswick on the 5th Nov for the weekend racing in the derwentwater 10 mile race.

Strangely although the peaks and the yorkshire dales are closer its as quick for me to drive past them and go on the A66 to the lakes.

Edit: As this is the 1000 miles thread .. I am up to 983.3 miles run so far this year. Still not found a way to log what i walk properly
    Last edited by indesisiv; 10-10-2016 at 2:24 PM.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 11th Oct 16, 8:44 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    bugslet
    Er, can't remember mileage, but we'll over a 1000 miles now.

Just popping by to say that my pedometer died and after 8 years of pedometer wearing, it feels weird
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Er, can't remember mileage, but we'll over a 1000 miles now.

Just popping by to say that my pedometer died and after 8 years of pedometer wearing, it feels weird
    Awww poor thing... you tired it out!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 12th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    bugslet
    I'm on my fourth now, named imaginatively Bug I, Bug II, Bug III and now BugIV ( look I don't name cars or anything, but then again pedometers are more intimate).

Arrived this morning and I'm much happier now.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I'm on my fourth now, named imaginatively Bug I, Bug II, Bug III and now BugIV ( look I don't name cars or anything, but then again pedometers are more intimate).

Arrived this morning and I'm much happier now.
    Well I can honestly say you are the first person that I have ever heard of that has named their pedometer.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Woo Hoo.. 1000 miles run this year for me.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Oct 16, 3:24 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Just scraped over my 30 mile target this week but still not too shabby considering that I was in hospital on Thursday under a general anaesthetic

This week - 44.5
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    So frustrating, a friend commented that he jogs 5 miles a day and everyone says 'well done for keeping up with your training'
    I comment that I have been walking 5 miles a day and the only reply back was 'do you not get bored'

This week - 44.5
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 17th Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    When I am out and about in my village doing my three miles in 50 minutes I often come across runners dressed in their designer sportswear, sprinting past me. I'm sure they must think I am just playing at exercising. I don't wear special clothes, just put my trainers on and walk out the front door. What they don't know is that I can walk 140 miles in 7 days, and at age 67 that ain't bad at all.

The people who think there is no point in walking are those that can't be bothered to get off their backside.

Bye the way I'm up to 842 miles now.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

429Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter