Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Biollante21
    • By Biollante21 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Biollante21
    Walk 1000 miles
    • 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    Walk 1000 miles 21st Jun 16 at 5:08 PM
    Is anybody on here doing the Country Walking magazine walk 1000 miles in a year challenge
    Would be great to chat if there is
    I am up to 396 miles since Feb 14th and its been a fantastic way to lose weight and change shape and also to get back into 8 pairs of jeans i had living in the wardrobe
    Will get there!!
    Pay off Argos card by Xmas 2016 - 20/06/16 £1475.00 owed - 21/06/16 £1400.00 owed
Page 3
    • stockton
    • By stockton 19th Aug 16, 3:49 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    stockton
    I can't help with the walking shoes as the only walking I do I wear walking boots. I have 2 pairs one for winter and one for the rest of the year. I have walked in my inov 8 trailroc 255's which are a pair of trail running shoes but I still prefer to walk in my boots as that is what they are designed for.

I guess that you would need to really think about what terrain you would be using them on. Do they need to be fully waterproof or not. If I was just walking on paths I would probably just get a pair of trail shoes. Make sure that you can try them on though as even the slightest bit of rubbing gets damn painful after 10 miles or so.

I tend to find that the first mile (if its flat) is always the quickest for me too until I settle in to a walk and ease up a bit. My standard pace is between 12 and 22 mins per mile depending on terrain.
    Just looked and I did 22:30 a mile for the yorkshire 3 peaks last weekend (Or 19:19 once I took the stops out)
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Thanks for that. I have tended to use just my ordinary everyday shoes but I will look in to getting boots or trail shoes.

My main walk is on the flat but there are some hills nearby. I did the mile in 17.49 mins today. That is probably as far as I will push it as I was walking full-out and I think it will be sufficient for exercise purposes.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 19th Aug 16, 7:17 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    bugslet
    I used to do a lot of walking when I was working full time but since I retired from that I became a bit sedentary and only recently started walking as a way to get out of the house and stop eating
    I tried a pedometer but after 3 of them breaking or at least not working properly I gave up on that and only recently went with the GPS tracker watch and now I am hooked and put that on every time I go out

I was looking around for some kind of challenge to do when I stumbled on this thread, I cant do the 'Bounts' thing as I don't have a phone that I can use and I can't seem to find a way to do that using my PC.
    1000 miles in a year seemed an ambitious and scary target when I started but now that I have got going, there is nothing scary about it at all and I might even double it
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Whenever I do a walk I always walk the first mile at as fast a pace as I can. The challenge is always to try and increase the speed of that first mile. After that I slacken off. My best mile so far is 18.54 minutes.

I find the biggest limitation to walking is wearing the correct shoes. I have yet to find good walking shoes hence my feet always feel tired before the rest of my body.

I saw some "walking" shoes in Asda last week. They looked fairly strong and were ankle length. I am thinking of getting a pair but I have spent so much on shoes and been disappointed in the past. I would be interested to hear other people's opinions about what shoes are best for distance walking.
    Originally posted by stockton
    You see I can eat and walk at the same time, not saying it's easy. Practise and all that,

Most pedometers are bobbins. The Omron walking style ones are fantastic, very accurate and last about three years. I think they are being phased out though....I am very fond of them, might have to stock up. They also work tucked in your bra if you don't have a waistband or pocket - sometimes that's been very useful!

're the walking shoes, I think it's trial and error, what suits one person could easily not suit another. I once stumbled across some johnscliff low ankle walking boots for £30.00 in a discount store when on holiday. They were so so perfect, never found that style again sadly.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 20th Aug 16, 8:45 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Whenever I do a walk I always walk the first mile at as fast a pace as I can. The challenge is always to try and increase the speed of that first mile. After that I slacken off. My best mile so far is 18.54 minutes.

I find the biggest limitation to walking is wearing the correct shoes. I have yet to find good walking shoes hence my feet always feel tired before the rest of my body.

I saw some "walking" shoes in Asda last week. They looked fairly strong and were ankle length. I am thinking of getting a pair but I have spent so much on shoes and been disappointed in the past. I would be interested to hear other people's opinions about what shoes are best for distance walking.
    Originally posted by stockton
    As others have said, it is personal preference as far as shoes/boots are concerned, I have a pair of waterproof hiking boots for use when I am up the hills or walking on potetially wet ground and a pair of walking shoes for use when I know that I am sticking to paths or paved road but I also wear my everyday shoes if I am just walking the mile into town.

As far as pace goes, if I know that it is a short walk (like into town) I will set off at full pace both directions and that's about 16:25/ml, anything over 2 miles I will walk at about 16:45 pace and over 5 miles I usually go at about 17:50 pace unless I am with a group then it will be a lot slower, usually at 25:00 pace or less
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 345.4
    This week - 26.2
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 31st Aug 16, 2:44 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 5,467 Thanks
    Ilona
    The last day of the eighth month and the target is 666 miles. I am on 668 miles. Next target is 749 miles by the end of September. I am hoping to get some longer walks in to boost up my miles.
    How is everyone else doing?

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 31st Aug 16, 9:08 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,125 Thanks
    indesisiv
    The last day of the eighth month and the target is 666 miles. I am on 668 miles. Next target is 749 miles by the end of September. I am hoping to get some longer walks in to boost up my miles.
    How is everyone else doing?

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Just counting the running 833.3 miles to date this year. ( I log that but not the walking.
    I have no idea how far I have walked probably a few hundred miles.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 1st Sep 16, 8:48 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Just back from my holiday where I enjoyed walking in the sunshine without having to carry my waterproof gear 'just in case'
    I will update my signature on Saturday but I am now up to 260 miles since I started keeping records at the end of June with 145 of those in August alone.

This week - 26.2
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 1st Sep 16, 9:26 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 5,467 Thanks
    Ilona
    Good news, inde and wizard. I have a little jog sometimes but I don't enjoy running very much. We are getting towards the end of the summer, days are getting shorter so longer walks need to be done quite soon. I hate winter with so little daylight.

I have some new boots. Have worn them in the house for two days, they seem ok, so now going to have a walk outside. Once they get mucky there's no taking them back. My walking around the streets I do in trainers, the boots are for rough walking a bit further afield.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 1st Sep 16, 12:43 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,125 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good news, inde and wizard. I have a little jog sometimes but I don't enjoy running very much.
    I have some new boots. ..... My walking around the streets I do in trainers, the boots are for rough walking a bit further afield.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I mostly prefer to run mountain routes, but I do walk when there is looking like its going to be a tough long day or where I really need to navigate all the time. If there is lots of hands on scrambling then walking is the way to go.
    New boots are always a good / bad thing, you really don't know if they will be comfy till you get out and walk over about 10 miles. For me I start feeling any rubs after about that point.

Ilona from across the bridge
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 11th Sep 16, 6:29 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 5,467 Thanks
    Ilona
    Hi. I've just had three days away in North Yorkshire and walked 36 miles. My total now stands at 737 miles. Back on the three miles a day routine.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Bought myself a pair of leather boots in the Trespass sale for winter walking, can't sniff at £60 off, I noticed the difference in weight straight away but hopefully I will get used to that. They are comfortable enough but like Ilona, I am just wearing them around the house at the moment.
    The winter programme starts on October 1, the walks are more local and on average a couple of miles longer than the summer ones as there is not so much climbing involved.

This week - 26.2
    • ludhiyaparker
    • By ludhiyaparker 12th Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ludhiyaparker
    It's proved that walking is better than running.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Sep 16, 3:21 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,125 Thanks
    indesisiv
    It's proved that walking is better than running.
    Originally posted by ludhiyaparker
    Only if you are doing lots of miles at faster than 7min per mile pace. Which most people don't do ... even though I can run that pace my long runs are done at a gentle pace of 8:30 a min (roughly 138 bpm heart rate) so as not to tire myself out for no benefits.

Anyway I am up to 871.5 mi for the year (just running) I am going to see if I can get it to tell me how many I have done whilst hiking.
    edit: I can get it to show august but I changed watches then so i can't go back further than that. So Augusts hiking total was 39 miles
    • Brickwall
    • By Brickwall 12th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Brickwall
    I bought a garmin vivosmart hr on the 9th of June, so far I have walked 683 miles.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I just sneaked over the 25 mile mark this week bringing my total since July to 319.2

This week - 26.2
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 20th Sep 16, 9:09 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    bugslet
    Bought myself a pair of leather boots in the Trespass sale for winter walking, can't sniff at £60 off, I noticed the difference in weight straight away but hopefully I will get used to that. They are comfortable enough but like Ilona, I am just wearing them around the house at the moment.
    The winter programme starts on October 1, the walks are more local and on average a couple of miles longer than the summer ones as there is not so much climbing involved.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    You will soon get used to them. £60.00 off, that's a result!
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 20th Sep 16, 9:05 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I bought a garmin vivosmart hr on the 9th of June, so far I have walked 683 miles.
    Originally posted by Brickwall
    Not sure if that model allows but might be worth putting in a custom stride length as it seems to me that it hugely over estimates distance.

Got one of the fist Vivofits and garmin is claiming I've done nearly 15,000 miles.

BTW How many steps are you averaging per week?
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Sep 16, 8:18 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,125 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I've just realised that my watch has been measuring my steps since I got it at the beginning of August. So far since then I have done 552,258 steps. No idea what that equates to in distance though.

As an aside I've now run 917.7 mi so far in 2016.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    bugslet
    I've got a relatively small stride length, but for me 7000 steps is around 3.5 miles. When I first set up my Omron pedometer, I checked distance accuracy by walking an hour and then driving the same route.

I know, I'll get my (beige) anorak.....
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 8:19 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,125 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I've got a relatively small stride length, but for me 7000 steps is around 3.5 miles. When I first set up my Omron pedometer, I checked distance accuracy by walking an hour and then driving the same route.

I know, I'll get my (beige) anorak.....
    Originally posted by bugslet
    There's nothing wrong with beige sometimes Bugs.

I'm not overly worried with the exact amount of walking to be honest. I fail my step count everyday that I don't run. But then make up when I go for a run. The only time I measure distance with GPS as well as count steps is when I am hiking and that's not really a fair comparison with all of the climbing and descending.

I think the steptracking can take a back seat at the moment whilst I am putting in about 35 miles a week running.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 23rd Sep 16, 9:14 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    bugslet
    I think the steptracking can take a back seat at the moment whilst I am putting in about 35 miles a week running.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    You may just have the edge on me there indesisiv!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,879Posts Today

5,051Users online

Martin's Twitter