Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Biollante21
    • By Biollante21 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 56Thanks
    Biollante21
    Walk 1000 miles
    • 21st Jun 16, 5:08 PM
    Walk 1000 miles 21st Jun 16 at 5:08 PM
    Is anybody on here doing the Country Walking magazine walk 1000 miles in a year challenge
    Would be great to chat if there is
    I am up to 396 miles since Feb 14th and its been a fantastic way to lose weight and change shape and also to get back into 8 pairs of jeans i had living in the wardrobe
    Months since overdraft used 5
    Get rid of credit card debt - £7900.00 (15/02/17) £7550 (23/02/17) £7250 (13/03/17) £6874 23/03/17
    Pay off Argos card by Xmas 2016 - 20/06/16 £1475.00 owed - 21/06/16 £1400.00 owed - 20/01/17 Paid off
Page 11
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 3rd Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Good effort Ilona

I am still going despite the never ending PF. Last week had a lot of work travel so dogs were in kennels but I finished on 501 miles at the end of June so still on target. I have eaten away all my buffer now so must keep at it.

I love my garden but would never be able to Open it as the dogs do quite a lot of random damage.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I think half way through the year is the time when you think is it worth it. It's like a new year resolution that you start meaning well, then sometime later the spirit starts flagging. I feel guilty if I haven't been out, after evening dinner I think shall I bother, then all of a sudden I jump up and say for goodness sake just do it. It's the getting up out of the chair that's the hardest. Once I am out I am enjoying it.

I used to have a dog and poo picked every day, The lawn is still not fully recovered from all the peeing on it. Ha ha.

You are still on target, but no wriggle room, three miles a day should keep you on track. Keep at it.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    I've just had five days away in Settle, and clocked up 38 miles, bringing me up to 671 miles total. I'm changing my 1000 miles in one year target to 100 miles in one month. Still doable for the long term.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am still plodding along. Plantar Fasciitis is still causing grief but is slowly improving. I am ahead of plan, just, but need to keep focussed. I am managing to keep the steps average above 10,000 which equates to 5 miles for me but I am only counting 'boots on' recorded walks.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 16th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    I am still plodding along. Plantar Fasciitis is still causing grief but is slowly improving. I am ahead of plan, just, but need to keep focussed. I am managing to keep the steps average above 10,000 which equates to 5 miles for me but I am only counting 'boots on' recorded walks.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Good for you, don't give up. I only count the times I specifically go out for a walk. I am going litter picking in a minute but don't count that, because I have to keep stopping. The one exception is when I deliver newsletters to 450 houses, and I run around to do them quicker.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 31st Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am still on plan 'just'. I spent 5 days in Barcelona last week and it was just too much faff to record the yomping as it was stop/start (plus it munched through the watch battery) so I have allocated myself 2.74 miles per day whilst there for simplicity. I did more than that as I managed between 15,000 and 20,000 steps each day but I am going for the simple 'stay on plan' option and 2.74 miles is what I need to average.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 2nd Aug 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Just back from holiday in Cleveleys. did an 8 and a 9 mile walk, bumping my total to 724 miles. A very blustery walk from Cleveleys to the Pleasure Beach, and another on to Fleetwood. Back to the village walks of 3 miles a day.

Mally, Barcelona is nice, I like the old part, and the Football Stadium.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 11th Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Oh dear, had three 'no walk' days this month so far. I am not going out in the pouring rain. The sun is back so I will catch up, and a day out with my walking buddies next week will give my miles a boost. Currently on 742. Need to keep walking to reach my target of 100 per month.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Aug 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I have to go out with the dogs come rain or shine but they don't always get quite as long if it is really wet.
    Still on track here but only just. It has either been too warm or too wet to build the buffer back up - plus I still haven't got rid of the plantar fasciitis
    I have averaged 11,000 steps a day over the 32 weeks of the challenge so that is good news.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 30th Aug 17, 1:57 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Hooooray, I have reached 800 miles. . I'm sticking to 100 a month, so on target. Next month should be easy, I'm having a walking holiday.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 31st Aug 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am now 4 miles short of where I should be after a week with no dogs in Devon. I did one big walk along the South West Coast Path but it nearly crippled me - plantar fasciitis is definitely still with me when pushed. The rest of the week was cycling, surfing and body boarding, horse riding and generally being out and about but it didn't earn me many miles.
    I am still averaging just over 11,000 steps a day for the year so far.
    No more holidays now for a while so I just need to keep plodding along.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 4th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Hi Mally. It looks like you are doing a lot of different physical activities, which is a good way to exercise. Well done on the walking through your not so good feet. I think the key to all this is to stick with it, and you are obviously making an effort.

I am soon to go on a 7 day 140 mile walk. looking forward to getting out there with my rucksack on my back.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Mobeen Younas
    • By Mobeen Younas 10th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mobeen Younas
    Walk 100 miles done
    Yes a person can walk 100 miles in 24 hours. People do it all over the world every year. It takes serious training. A slow build up in mileage. The United States has a club and races for people interested in giving a 100 mile walk in 24 hours a try. If successful you join a very small group of 87 United States Centurions. United States Centurion Walkers All total there are six Centurion Clubs around the world. Each club has the same high standard. You must walk 100 miles within 24 hours. 287 Centurions worldwide belong to more than one club. The list of people with Multiple Centurion club memberships is here.
    Well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you, (who?)
    If I get drunk, (If I get drunk, ) well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you, (yeah) Yes!
    And if I haver, (when I hav... What does haver mean, )
    Yeah I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you, (It's on 'ere)

But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
    To fall down at your door
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    As of today I am back to a 1 mile buffer. Still going but no chance to take a break. I will get there
    697 miles completed against a target of 696.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 17th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Just back from my long walk, Carlisle to Cleveleys. It wasn't quite as long as I first thought. It was 110 miles, which I did in six days.

Added to my total, this makes 921 miles so far this year.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 1st Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Nine months in and I'm on 938 miles. I use no gadgets to monitor steps or distances. A lot of my walking is done on a measured three mile route around my village, as checked on bikehike.co.uk I walk this most days, then add in any longer walks I do. I don't count dog walking because the dog is very slow, keeps stopping, don't count walking while shopping. Only count the miles when I actually go out for a walk.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am still plodding along - just 2 miles behind the plan at 781 miles to date. I am going to try and get DH to go for a proper walk both days of the weekend as the normal daily dog walk is too short to claw back the deficit, plus he lets the dog he takes dawdle so much that I get snappy. DH doesn't dawdle on a 'proper' walk. The temperatures might be against us though.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 15th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    Hi Mally. Keep going, do as much as you can.

I went a proper walk on Friday with two buddies, we did 13 miles in the Yorkshire Wolds. It has bumped me up to 981.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 24th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    THAT'S IT. DONE THE 1000 MILES.

Now I keep going because I have changed my target to 100 miles a month. I WILL keep fit and I WILL stay fit. This is for life not just for Christmas.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 24th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,797 Posts
    • 16,008 Thanks
    indesisiv
    THAT'S IT. DONE THE 1000 MILES.

Now I keep going because I have changed my target to 100 miles a month. I WILL keep fit and I WILL stay fit. This is for life not just for Christmas.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Well done Ilona
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 25th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Indeed that is well done.

I am still going - on 818 against a target of 816 so I am just back in the black.

We have 4 days with dogs but without DD in the New Forest in November so that should be a big boost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

2,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin