Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 21st Jun 16, 2:24 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    AliExpress users - what's been your best purchase?
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:24 PM
    AliExpress users - what's been your best purchase? 21st Jun 16 at 2:24 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm doing some research on AliExpress and would love to hear your best finds please.

Thanks,
    Jenny
Page 2
    • A Phoenix of Tangerine
    • By A Phoenix of Tangerine 1st Jul 16, 9:36 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    A Phoenix of Tangerine
    My wife has a huge collection of office dresses from Ali, costing in the £10 to £15 range, good quality and fit mostly from the same seller (this seller is amazingly consistent with sizes across garments)
    Originally posted by sillygoose
    Who is the seller for the £15 office dresses, please, if you wouldn't mind sharing? Also, are they 'normal' UK sizes or petite Chinese sizes? Many thanks!
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 4th Jul 16, 1:01 AM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    sillygoose
    Who is the seller for the £15 office dresses, please, if you wouldn't mind sharing? Also, are they 'normal' UK sizes or petite Chinese sizes? Many thanks!
    Originally posted by A Phoenix of Tangerine
    Sorry, been away...

This shop

http://valuefashionshop.aliexpress.com/store/1248036

Only today my wife was complemented by a stranger in a shop wearing this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vfemage-Womens-Summer-Elegant-Vintage-Fit-and-Flare-Work-Office-Casual-Party-A-Line-Skater-Mid/32665996516.html

(nearly sold out all sizes, currently £19 but bought when at £17) Sizing is very weird, wife is slim 5'8" UK size 10. We buy stuff in 'M' from this store which according to their size chart is a US 8/10 - which should be a UK 12/14! no way! 'M' is a good fit so they have messed up somewhere.

They do give quite detailed dimensions, my advice would be to layout something you own that fits you really well (and similar so a dress for a dress) and take a tape measure to it and compare the measurements.

Anyway had about 15 items from this store all 'M' and fitted perfectly. What we like about these items is that they are all tailored for a woman with a good waist and hips as wife is lucky enough to have to suit the Chinese figure but with some stretch in the fabric. Many dresses sold in the UK look like they they were patterned on a bin bag!

Some of these are:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VfEmage-Womens-Asymmetric-Neckline-Elegant-Ruched-Twist-Cap-Sleeve-Slim-Wear-to-Work-Business-Casual-Party/32610664062.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VfEmage-Womens-Fashion-Spring-Summer-Elegant-Optical-Illusion-Slim-Stripe-Work-Office-Business-Casual-Party-Pencil/32609737078.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VfEmage-Womens-Elegant-Tartan-Check-Plaid-Tunic-Slimming-Spring-Wear-to-Work-Office-Business-Pencil-Sheath/32579133813.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Women-Summer-Belted-Elegant-Floral-Check-Cap-Sleeve-Tunic-Work-Business-Casual-Party-Pencil-Sheath/32276252099.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Sale-Womens-Summer-Elegant-Tartan-Square-Neck-Tunic-Wear-To-Work-Business-Casual-Party/32273543744.html

But they have new designs coming in all the time.

Another shop, she often gets complemented wearing this, unusual, silky.. (costs about £4.50!) - size 'L' for a UK 10

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2015-Summer-Women-Korean-Chiffon-Print-Lace-Three-Quarter-Puff-Sleeve-O-neck-Loose-Tee/1987719745.html

We have lots of these, size 'L' bit short for a dress but looks good with leggings..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Winter-Clothing-Women-s-Long-Sleeve-Casual-Knitted-Stripe-Pattern-Pullover-Cashmere-Sweater-Dress-Ladies-Jumper/1556413814.html
    Last edited by sillygoose; 04-07-2016 at 1:07 AM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Jul 16, 8:59 AM
    • 9,252 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Very impressed with my Arduino-compatible microcontrollers from AliExpress...

Nano was £1.50 (Maplin price £16.99)
    Uno was £2.56 (Maplin price £24.99)

Maplin's products are genuine Arduinos.

These are complete miniature computers on a tiny circuitboard, that you can use for all kinds of electronics projects. They are programmed using free, open-source tools.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Jul 16, 10:32 PM
    • 25,852 Posts
    • 10,289 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    My Uno clones were £1.43 off ebay. I wasnt expecting them to arrive.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Jul 16, 10:54 PM
    • 9,252 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    My Uno clones were £1.43 off ebay. I wasnt expecting them to arrive.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Apparently, there are some fakes out there too, which hopefully AliExpress (and eBay) should offer some protection from.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DavidF
    • By DavidF 5th Jul 16, 12:45 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    DavidF
    My buys have been
    Led Bulbs - 7/10 working - Still going after 1 year or so
    1 Mobile phone - £120 ish - Basically a knock off of the Galaxy Note 3 - Great phone and at the price point it would compare favorably to the original even if you had to buy 1 per year (But this phone flies so will last at least 2 years.)
    2 Mi Fit bands - they work "ok" considering the price point
    1 set of Mi Fit scales - very accurate but postage was £20+ (Think they cost about £35 all in)
    1 LED torch - works fine very bright £5 ish
    2 or 3 E-cigs - ok but can be bought cheaper elsewhere
    2 sets of bluetooth headphones - with call answer/end function....really good quality. @ £15 each
    I have bought loads over the years. Too much too recall but generally not had any more issues than I would from a UK based seller.....Few returns that have cost me dear but overall the "gamble" still leaves me well ahead when you are looking at prices in the region of a third of the end user price of "comparable" stuff from the UK
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 5th Jul 16, 9:09 AM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    sillygoose
    Prices are bit up at the moment presumably due to the weaker pound/dollar rate.

Another item I love, bought loads of these and given them to people. There are a lot of fake USB sticks around of course but these have always checked out to be correct. Really useful to (16GB £2.56) keep in a wallet..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-4G-8G-16G-32G-64G-USB-Flash-Drive-Memory-Stick-usb-Stick-Pen-drive/32226780876.html
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Jul 16, 1:28 PM
    • 25,852 Posts
    • 10,289 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Apparently, there are some fakes out there too, which hopefully AliExpress (and eBay) should offer some protection from.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Fakes? How can they be fake? They do not claim to be genuine arduino boards that support the project. Its not something they can patent, you dont even need the board, just solder wires directly to a chip.

Its like saying all PCs are fake because they are not IBM's.

They are not like TI's launchpad with its dedicated chip. If only that fitted Arduino shields out of the box...
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jul 16, 1:54 PM
    • 9,252 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Fakes? How can they be fake?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    As in they look like an Arduino clone, but don't work.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Jul 16, 10:47 PM
    • 25,852 Posts
    • 10,289 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Mine work fine, whats not to work its the same main chip from the same factory as the ones you call genuine.

The only issue with them is that they actually have a better USB connection chip and they dont support the project.

Mine look like the Uno and except for the USB chip being a CH340 its identical to all the others.

Genuino, VISduino and just plain UNO, if i cover the names on the boards you wont know which is which.
    They all work with the same software with no issues at all.

• MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 9th Aug 16, 12:13 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your stories. We've written a guide to Buying from AliExpress and included a few of your experiences. Any suggestions much appreciated!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/buy-from-china-aliexpress
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Aug 16, 1:37 PM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your stories. We've written a guide to Buying from AliExpress and included a few of your experiences. Any suggestions much appreciated!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/buy-from-china-aliexpress
    Originally posted by MSE Jenny
    Well, I am turned off from it after the first sentence "from sneakers to..." this is a UK site is it not?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Aug 16, 2:07 PM
    • 59,239 Posts
    • 41,994 Thanks
    soolin
    Well, I am turned off from it after the first sentence "from sneakers to..." this is a UK site is it not?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I agree, please lose the term 'sneakers' it gives the impression the article is lifted from a US site.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 9th Aug 16, 5:22 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Thank you, you're right - I'm changing it to sandals. My desire to alliterate got the better of me!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 10th Aug 16, 9:37 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Does anyone know what time of day the currency conversion takes place on banggood and aliexpress? I mean with the volatility of the pound to the US dollar on banggood. Not sure if Aliexpress also trades in the US Dollar.
    Last edited by ballisticbrian; 10-08-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 10th Aug 16, 12:45 PM
    • 8,440 Posts
    • 4,918 Thanks
    RFW
    Does anyone know what time of day the currency conversion takes place on banggood and aliexpress? I mean with the volatility of the pound to the US dollar on banggood. Not sure if Aliexpress also trades in the US Dollar.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    No idea on the first part of the question. There's usually changes in the early morning when the far east markets open.
    Despite big drops shortly after the referendum the pound hasn't been that volatile against the dollar, it's been floating around £1.30 against the US dollar for the last few weeks. My advice, such as it is, would be to work on £1.25 then you're relatively safe unless something disastrous happens.
    I've been following it more as I've just been in the US for a few weeks, I don't begin to comprehend currency markets, I'd rather bet on horses.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 11th Aug 16, 9:47 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Despite big drops shortly after the referendum the pound hasn't been that volatile against the dollar, it's been floating around £1.30 against the US dollar for the last few weeks. My advice, such as it is, would be to work on £1.25 then you're relatively safe unless something disastrous happens.
    What I mean is, this morning my item is 2 pence more expensive, so if I buy say 1000 off them, I'm 20 quid down on yesterday.

Did find a 10% off your order voucher for sharing on facebook though.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • robbyfine
    • By robbyfine 15th Aug 16, 6:17 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    robbyfine
    I've recently ordered a cute pair of shoes from AliExpress. I'm 100% pleased with the quality and the price. Moreover, I got a good discount via http://alcoupon.info/ service.
    • ard123en
    • By ard123en 12th Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ard123en
    Loads of stuff mainly for electronics projects.
    Adrino Unos and esp8266 and sensors
    Never had a problem just need to wait a bit longer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

6,913Users online

Martin's Twitter