Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs*Spendalot
    • By Mrs*Spendalot 21st Jun 16, 11:20 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 36Thanks
    Mrs*Spendalot
    Debt Free by 40, best Birthday present ever!?
    • 21st Jun 16, 11:20 AM
    Debt Free by 40, best Birthday present ever!? 21st Jun 16 at 11:20 AM
    Good morning.

I'm a long time user of this website and it's helped me so much over the last few years. Our original LBM was in 2006 and we've made good inroads into clearing our debts on our own using tips from this site and the snowball calculator. Our original debt was £41000 () and we've chipped away at it and it's now down to £21,500 despite moving house in that time.

We have good incomes (approx £4500 total per month) but have had 5 children in the last 10 years and moved house twice.

We are now in our forever home (although it's a doer upper!) with our family complete and we'd now like to concentrate on clearing our remaining debt and then start on our eye watering £250k mortgage and the home improvements we have planned too

I'm on a tablet so can't post our SOA, I'll definitely do it at some point though as I'm open to constructive criticism.

We have a car loan (£10k), a personal loan (£5300) and a 0% CC of £6200. The personal loan is set to finish Dec '17 as is the 0% rate on our CC so we'd love that to be our DFD

Thanks for reading xx
Page 2
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 6,045 Posts
    • 17,446 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    I find the above frustrating as we should have so much spare, but we don't. Must get a grip on it as it's probably very doable to be debt free by Christmas! Not sure why my comments aren't in red, but they're still pretty clear...
    We get paid next week, I'm going to sit down and really go through the statement carefully and keep such a close eye in June. Kids and hubby will hate it!!!
    I'll aim to update this at least monthly so I can really monitor it... I keep reading about YNAB and spreadsheets, might need to start a more stringent money routine!!
    Originally posted by Mrs*Spendalot
    Hi MissSAL,

I understand your frustration. I could be your twin. On the face of it we both earn good wages and should have lots to pay off the debt but something seems to crop up every month that throws us. I also seem to self-sabotage with money as well. Not sure where it comes from as my parents are excellent with money and OH's parents are too.
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €23,499/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€17,499/
    Savings: €400/€1000
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 17th May 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 14,212 Thanks
    csarina2
    Do you not get child benefit, it does not show in your income on your SOA.

You have done really well clearing your debt, heres to you being in a position to start paying down extra on your mortgage and getting the house fixed up.
    • Mrs*Spendalot
    • By Mrs*Spendalot 18th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mrs*Spendalot
    Hi, thanks for both your comments. Yes, exactly! Self sabotaging and a monthly unexpected cost. Plus, however much we earn, we seem to spend. My husband is earning £700pm more than he was this time last year, plus we've paid a loan off that was £300pm. Where is that extra £1k going?!?

We don't get child benefit as my husband earns over £60K. It was gutting when we lost it, with 5 children it was about £250 a month wiped off our monthly budget. To be fair, I can see we don't 'need' it, but I don't appreciate how the government managed it. We have friends who earn £49K each, so have a household income of £98K but still get child benefit!
    Debt June '16 - £21500
    Current debt June'17 - £10500 51% paid
    Car loan £10000/£7800 Loan £5300/£5300 CC £6200/£2700 Savings towards paying off car £700/7800
    DFD Aim - Dec '17
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 3,740 Posts
    • 14,853 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Do you keep a spending diary? There's free apps to use or if you're like me I prefer pen and paper

It really does show where every penny goes, and the odd couple of puns doing something you think oh it's only x £ really does add up over the month.

You're doing fab keep going x

DFW £718.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £331.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £216.50 + £25 Cash + £40 Amazon
    • Mrs*Spendalot
    • By Mrs*Spendalot 8th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mrs*Spendalot
    So... minimums paid off loan and credit card and £700 put into savings towards paying car off early. We're focusing on that as the credit card is 0%. That's £1k total towards paying off debt this month. No chance we can do more as having to pay for extra surveys to satisfy council of our planning....grrrrr!

Definitely doing better with keeping an eye, managed to keep costs down over half term and am saying 'no' more regularly to the children....
    Debt June '16 - £21500
    Current debt June'17 - £10500 51% paid
    Car loan £10000/£7800 Loan £5300/£5300 CC £6200/£2700 Savings towards paying off car £700/7800
    DFD Aim - Dec '17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

947Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin