Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emsky*
    • By Emsky* 21st Jun 16, 8:57 AM
    • 172Posts
    • 414Thanks
    Emsky*
    O/S Maternity Leave
    • 21st Jun 16, 8:57 AM
    O/S Maternity Leave 21st Jun 16 at 8:57 AM
    Hi Everyone

I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant with our first child & I'll be taking 12 months maternity leave but I'm in a bit of a panic, how can I keep costs down whilst still enjoying my time off with my little one?

We will be going from two full time wages down to one, which my husband says will be fine but I'm so used to having two wages coming in I want to make sure we're prepared should the worst happen.

At the moment we are stockpiling the following (Ald* & M*rrisons):

(House) - I'm hoping to find the energy to spring clean the house so it will hopefully be easier to keep on top of when baby gets here *Wishful Thinking*

-Toilet Paper
    -Washing up Liquid
    -Washing Powder
    -Bleach
    -Bin Bags

(Food) - I want to start to get myself into meal planning so I will be scanning the boards for slow cooker friendly meals

-Beans
    -Tinned Tomatoes
    -Frozen veg
    - Pasta
    - Rice

(Toiletries) - I have probably forgotten something off this list but I can come back & edit if need be

-Shampoo & Conditioner
    - Shower Gel
    - Toothpaste
    - Deodorant

(Baby) - At the moment I'm planning on breastfeeding so I don't know whether to buy some baby milk in just in case it doesn't work out. We have bought all the essentials from a list so now it's just the day to day bits and bobs we need. Can't think of anything else to add at the minute though.

- Nappies
    - Nappy Bags
    - Baby Wipes

Moneywise we currently have 3 months worth of bills saved for, an account with money saved for baby (i.e. baby clothes for when she starts growing too big for the things we have bought/been given).
    Every month we put extra into the electric & gas bill DD so will hopefully be well in front with the payments for this, but need to look for a better deal around October as the fixed rate finishes.

If anyone has anything they can add or any suggestions on making my maternity leave O/S I'd love to know

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 28-06-2016 at 5:13 PM.
    "Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." Jane Austen.

Page 2
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 30th Jun 16, 10:54 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    jackyann
    I'm afraid that I think the advice about cotton wool is very wasteful! I am from the cloth nappy generation. I washed all my kids' bottoms with white flannels and threw them in the nappy wash.
    Even if you are not using cloth nappies, you can do the same: bucket of napisan / mild bleach, then rinse and they can go through an ordinary wash.
    • ScattySkewbald
    • By ScattySkewbald 1st Jul 16, 6:40 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    ScattySkewbald
    Agree with the nappy advice, I stockpiled loads in different sizes and ended up selling a lot as DS grew out of sizes a lot quicker than anticipated. I also bought tons of wipes and have only just used the last of them - DS is 8 months old! Aldi nappies and wipes are both fantastic and a fraction of the price of pampers etc.

I'd get some colic relief in. Fingers crossed you won't need it but if little one is colicky it'll be a godsend to have some to hand.

With regards to formula, I'd leave it. I planned on BF but bought formula in prep just in case. Had difficulties with it and an extended stay in hospital so ended up formula feeding but the brand in hospital was different to what I'd got in so I ended up not using what I'd bought (and wasting 10!)

I completely overdid clothes buying (thankfully most were secondhand) and loads of stuff was outgrown before he'd worn it. We also got bought so much as gifts, we could have literally clothed him out of gifts for the first 3 months!

If you have a local sure start centre, they're fab for advice and free / cheap activities. Ours ran a free baby massage course and do a weekly baby group.

Hope all goes well and enjoy your time off with your little one - it goes by in a blink of an eye!
    2 savers 18/100

Sell and save 887.12 / 1000

20p savers 14.40/100
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 1st Jul 16, 8:17 AM
    • 2,597 Posts
    • 32,852 Thanks
    monnagran
    Sweetilemon, I salute your courage in coming on to a thread like this and giving wise advice.
    I wish that I could give you a real hug.
    Please accept a virtual one.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 1st Jul 16, 10:10 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Sweetilemon, I salute your courage in coming on to a thread like this and giving wise advice.
    I wish that I could give you a real hug.
    Please accept a virtual one.

x
    Originally posted by monnagran
    WSS xx

I'm 30 weeks and I'll be off in four weeks time (2 weeks annual leave before Mat leave kicks in, so pay is a bit better!!) and we moved into our new house at the weekend.

I'm totally set for clothes(I have a massive charity show obsession and a friend with a six month old who passes everything one to me and then lots of vests from Asda, 2.50 for 3), buggy and crib, will buy changing unit/drawers and cotbed in August for his actual room.

And have been putting away my end of month leftover funds into a baby account, also got payrise back pay into it yesterday.

Our new fridge/freezer arrives tomorrow and that will then start to be stock piled. Mum gave us a 50 Asda gift card as a moving in present so that will go towards that as a few other cushions and throws for the mini sofa bed in baby's room (so Mum can stay overnight when I have baby etc).

Once I'm off I need to sort out the nappy/changing stuff/basic meds, like the colief etc.

Only like 20 more days at work! Has gone so fast!

Lxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • cheel
    • By cheel 1st Jul 16, 10:24 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,220 Thanks
    cheel
    Hugs sweetilemon. I lost my daughter at 4 months also. So sending you love xx
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge 7.58 / 200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
    • Emsky*
    • By Emsky* 2nd Jul 16, 9:34 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Emsky*
    Hugs to Sweetilemon & Cheel, didn't want to read & run x
    "Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." Jane Austen.

• Emsky*
    • By Emsky* 5th Jul 16, 10:22 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Emsky*
    Hi Everyone, just a quick update#:

- We've got some old blackout curtains that we're going to attempt to sew together so they fit over our front door to try and block the draft & hopefully save a bit on the heating in the colder months
    - Had our 3d scan on Saturday just gone & have fell even more in love with our little princess
    - Started looking at freezer bags & recipes for the slow cooker so all we'll hopefully have to do is put the meals in there once baby is here
    - Joined the local NCT group on FB as they run free coffee mornings & have breastfeeding advice/support

Hope everyone is ok? x

• ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 5th Jul 16, 10:34 AM
    • 3,319 Posts
    • 6,201 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    What a lovely thread, people helping themselves and benefitting from shared experiences.

Nice to see people taking responsibility for their chosen lifestyles.

Love and best wishes for all of you.

EM xx
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 5th Jul 16, 11:19 AM
    • 6,984 Posts
    • 35,495 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    I'm on day 2 of official Maternity Leave. Yesterday I batch cooked 2 different soups (celery, and roast carrot and chickpea - 3 portions of each) and made a big batch of tomato pasta sauce (5 portions).

I also cleaned out the spare fridge freezer, turned it on and they will all be going in there later along with 4 portions of veggie chilli which are already in the main freezer.

Big Tesco delivery is coming at 4pm with all the essentials that we made need over the first few weeks. OH laughed at me when he saw the garage with my stash of things, but was impressed with my planning.

I should have a lazy day today, think I overdid it yesterday a bit. But I also want to cook more and organise stuff!
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • Emsky*
    • By Emsky* 11th Aug 16, 9:48 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Emsky*
    Hi Everyone,

Hope your all ok?

- Stockpile is coming along nicely now, just a few pieces to buy to keep it up
    - Looking to buy some decent sized ice cube trays as the lady from homestart @ the antenatal classes said to freeze breast milk in to them as they are around an ounce a cube, so would be a lot cheaper than buying the freezer bags
    - Hopefully we'll be using our carpet cleaner to get the carpets done this weekend, nesting still hasn't kicked in and I'd rather sleep than do anything else so that will be done by the hubby I think under my supervision lol

• lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 11th Aug 16, 10:54 AM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 18,367 Thanks
    lilian1977
    Hi

Hugs to angel baby mums - I can't imagine how hard that must be and I wish you love and happiness in the future xxx

Emsky* - I would also suggest looking to see if there is a Facebook group for selling baby stuff - I am a member of three in my area and most of DS's stuff comes from (and goes away again!) on there - and he's 5 now. Absolute bargains and you don't have the hassle of Ebay.

Good luck xx

1 debt 100 days #6 - 436.30/ 436.30 PAID. 2nd debt - 189.15/500.00
    My debt free diary
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 11th Aug 16, 11:19 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 3,228 Thanks
    MrsSave
    This is a fab idea. I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my second and have started stockpiling things like wipes and have a selection of nappies (different makes though in case). It didn't occur to me about stockpiling household products and things that won't go off. I'm definitely going to start this with things like toilet paper, kitchen towel, squash, tins, cling film and foil, and health/beauty items.

Big hugs to the Angel baby mums. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for you and I'm sure your babies are watching over you xx
    Emergency fund #16 370/1000 Other Savings 198
    Loan repayments: 16/60 Overpayment total: 25
    Check out my debt free diary 'A Pound Stretching Maternity' below:
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 13th Aug 16, 9:53 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    It's true. I need to get in more basics like toilet roll etc. We do now in the new house have the extra storage for it! My biggest problem is actually being able to leave the house, online deliveries every flipping day.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023

• wurley
    • By wurley 26th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    wurley
    Always makes me laugh they tell you to just use cotton wool and water at first then tell you to slap heaps of barrier nappy cream on.... full of petrochemicals. Go figure!

Dont stock pile anything baby.... If people want to contribute ask for supermarket vouchers or better still cash.... No waste because you buy when you need... Don't keep milk powder in - you will prob go through a phase of soreness where you might be tempted to give up sooner if you have the powder at home. Dont get the breast pump unless you know you will use it.. Companies will try to make you think you need all sorts of accessories that you really don't.

Good idea on the house hold items!

Good luck
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 27th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Glad we didn't stockpile nappies. He went up a size within three weeks!

• Emsky*
    • By Emsky* 14th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Emsky*
    My little girl is now 6 months old & this is what I've found:

- Don't buy lot's of outfits, people tend to buy you them as gifts & if your baby's anything like mine they won't be in them long so sometimes it's easier & cheaper to put them in sleepsuits/babygrows.

- If your planning on having another baby & have the storage try and keep as many of baby's clothes that you can to save yourself the money in the future.

- I've joined a local mums group on FB that advertises cheap baby groups on. I'm currently on a 5 week baby massage class for 20 for the whole 5 weeks (I was told by another mum she had attended a class that cost 10 per hour).

- Don't stockpile nappies we found our little girl grew out of the first size really quickly.

- Babies don't need lot's of toys, all they need is your love & attention for the first few months but if you are really set on buying toys look on local FB selling groups a lot of people sell good quality second hand toys.

- If your feeling slightly housebound or want to just get out of the house, go for a walk with the pram the fresh air is fantastic for you and for baby, but best of all it's FREE!!

• TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 15th Mar 17, 6:53 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I had six....

Pads for boobs and bottom for yourself.
    Nipple cream.

Laundry product non bio with no perfume....or double rinse everything....babies have sensitive skin.....

Napisan or equivalent. ..and hang as much as possible in the sun.

You will also need extra pillows for bf ...stay clear of feathers.

Good luck to all first time parents....remember that every baby is different and what works for one might not be good for uour new arrival.....be kind to yourselves and get plenty of rest because you won't get any more for a few years
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 15th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Thank you so much for all your advice & ideas! I apologise already for this long post but I don’t like to just read & run.

Flutterbyuk25 – Thank you &Good Luck to you too!” I bet you’re so excited about meeting your little bundle soon. My hubby agrees with you about only buying loads of nappies once we know which baby will prefer J x

Flipper_72 – Thank you for your advice about the oats helping with breast milk, I’d never heard of that. The cloth nappies are they just the muslin or do you have to have special materials? x

Monnagran – Thank you, I’ll definitely be thinking of putting the things we’ve bought back on eB*y, we managed to get an M*thercare cotbed off there for 41 which I still have to say has been our biggest bargain of the moment. x

Jackyann – Thank you Jackyann, you always hear horror stories of babies not taking very well to breastfeeding but fingers crossed it won’t be the case. Also I’ll start looking into local baby groups to keep me from going insane in the house. x

HOWMUCH – Thank you & Good Luck to your DD, I’ll able to get the SMP up until the last 3 months, but I don’t think we’ll be able to claim anything else due to our combined wages but I will have a look into this. x

Icey77 – Thank you, I’ll keep the NCT in mind I keep trying to talk hubby into buying clothes for next year but he’s not having any of it he thinks she might be a giant baby & not fit in the stuff we buy her for later on lol. x

Cheel – Thank you, I’m hoping a few of our friends who have recently had babies will start to pass things along (Cheeky I know) so we won’t have to start going into baby clothes savings too early. x

ERICS MUM – Thank you, M&S chocolate biscuits will be going on the list I never even thought of buying things like this to stockpile (For visitors of course) x

I have amended my lists to include some of the suggestions which will apply to us

(House) – This weekend the plan is to go through under the sink & use up any half used cleaning products, to make room for stockpiling.

-Toilet Paper
    -Washing up Liquid
    -Washing Powder
    -Bleach
    -Bin Bags
    -Kitchen Roll
    -Spray Bleach

(Food) – Today’s aim is to start printing off recipes & food lists to start a plan for meal planning & bulk freezing meals.

- Beans
    - Tinned Tomatoes
    - Frozen veg
    - Pasta
    - Rice

- Cereals (Porridge oats)
    - Biscuits
    - Tea

(Toiletries) -

- Shampoo & Conditioner
    - Shower Gel
    - Toothpaste
    - Deodorant
    - Anti-bacterial hand gel

(Baby) -

- Nappies
    - Nappy Bags
    - Baby Wipes

- Cotton Wool

Originally posted by Emsky*
    Personally, I would stay away from Anti-bacterial anything. Anti-bacterial is not needed in the home and causes more harm than good.
    Children, especially babies, need bacteria in order to develop strong immune systems and being over clean, over zealous about it is harmful.
    They put things in their mouths all the time to introduce 'germs' so antibodies are made.
    Everything sterile interferes with this natural course of action.

Parents do not need to be any 'cleaner' when a baby is born.

And the single most beneficial thing you can do for baby the OS way? Breast feed
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 15th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    carlislelass
    If a baby grow is still long enough in the body ,cut off the feet and use socks to keep feet warm
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,597 Posts
    • 32,852 Thanks
    monnagran
    My little girl is now 6 months old & this is what I've found:

- Don't buy lot's of outfits, people tend to buy you them as gifts & if your baby's anything like mine they won't be in them long so sometimes it's easier & cheaper to put them in sleepsuits/babygrows.

- If your planning on having another baby & have the storage try and keep as many of baby's clothes that you can to save yourself the money in the future.

- I've joined a local mums group on FB that advertises cheap baby groups on. I'm currently on a 5 week baby massage class for 20 for the whole 5 weeks (I was told by another mum she had attended a class that cost 10 per hour).

- Don't stockpile nappies we found our little girl grew out of the first size really quickly.

- Babies don't need lot's of toys, all they need is your love & attention for the first few months but if you are really set on buying toys look on local FB selling groups a lot of people sell good quality second hand toys.

- If your feeling slightly housebound or want to just get out of the house, go for a walk with the pram the fresh air is fantastic for you and for baby, but best of all it's FREE!!
    Originally posted by Emsky*
    Thanks for the update, I've wondered from time to time how you were getting on.
    Isn't it great to be able to give advice based on your own experience?

I think that the community of young mums is one of the strongest communities that there is. The community of dog owners comes close.
    You will find that the friends you make at the baby clinic will still be your friends for years to come.

Bringing up a child is no bed of roses but it is the most worthwhile privilege you will ever undertake..
    The Prophet (Kahlil Gilbran) said that "children are the arrows that we send into the future" or something like that.
    He was not wrong and now you are responsible for part of that future.
    Isn't that awesome?

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,404Posts Today

9,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin