Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jcrooks89
    • By jcrooks89 21st Jun 16, 2:03 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jcrooks89
    College course fees refund
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:03 AM
    College course fees refund 21st Jun 16 at 2:03 AM
    Hi, does anyone know what my rights are regarding getting a refund on college fees?

I enrolled on an Assessing course in 2015 and at the interview the college stated they would provide me with learners to assess, which was necessary to complete the course. Several months into the course the college then informed they were not in a position to provide me with any learners due to the Assessors/my mentor not having any learners currently working in the same area as me. I asked other colleges and my current employer but was unsuccessful. So I felt I had no choice but to leave the course. I paid the course fees using a 24+ Advanced Student Loan - does anyone know I could ask for the fees to refunded to the Student Loans Company?
Page 1
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 21st Jun 16, 10:53 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 21st Jun 16, 10:53 AM
    • 21st Jun 16, 10:53 AM
    You need to check the T&Cs of the contract you signed with the college, and their policy on refunds in this situation.

Speak to the college - they are the ONLY ones who can advise you on this.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Jun 16, 2:00 PM
    • 15,671 Posts
    • 11,377 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:00 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 2:00 PM
    It seems to me that from what you've said it was impossible for the course to be completed so it would be reasonable to assume that the college were in breach of contract. If they won't provide a refund (a partial one may be offered although I'd push for a full one unless you can carry some credit for study already undertaken to another provider) then legal action could well be a way forward for you.
    • Katharine33
    • By Katharine33 13th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katharine33
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    Please help if possible
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    Hello there,
    I have recently requested a refund for a GCSE course I enrolled on. The reason for refund: the teaching method employed was not suiting my learning needs on many levels. I had to speak to the tutor twice out of four lessons with regards to this, but to no avail. I requested the monies back within 30 days so am potentially covered under the consumer rights act 2015. I outlined my reasons clearly on an e-mail, and the college have gone from 'requesting a full reimbursement to 'considering' a reimbursement.

I feel this was not fit for purpose, I attempted to address the issue, this did not work, and am therefore entitled to a full refund.
    Could you please advise me where I stand legally on this?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 15,671 Posts
    • 11,377 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    Hello there,
    Originally posted by Katharine33
    Separate thread started here, so probably best to keep responses in that one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5540591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,847Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter