Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BusyBoy
    • By BusyBoy 17th Jun 16, 9:07 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 6Thanks
    BusyBoy
    INSTAsmile/denLABdirect clip on veneers
    • 17th Jun 16, 9:07 PM
    INSTAsmile/denLABdirect clip on veneers 17th Jun 16 at 9:07 PM
    Be warned!!! Do not trust INSTAsmile/denLABdirect !! You will lose money.

INSTAsmile/denLABdirect are a web based company that sell clip on veneers. They make veneers based on customers taking self-impression mould of their teeth with kit supplied by the company. After taking the mould customers send it back to the company by post for the clip on veneer to be made.

INSTAsmile/denLABdirect have over 90% satisfaction rate on Trustpilot.com. However they achieve this by working with Trustpilot.com. As soon as you put a negative review on Trustpilot.com, INSTAsmile/denLABdirect , challenge it by saying the negative reviewer is not their customer or some other feeble excuse and Trustpilot remove the review from their site.

Trustpilot.com then say they are investigating the review and will frustrate you for many weeks by asking for many things to prove the purchase but they never really get back to you. By that time most people give up hence the negative review never goes up on Trustpilot site.

I ordered an upper teeth veneer for £249 but I could not get the self-impression mould of my teeth right. I attempted eight times but failed to produce a correct self-impression mould of my teeth. Taking the impression of the teeth is VERY TRICKY. I followed the paper and video guidance very carefully.

In the end I gave up but INSTAsmile/denLABdirect charged me £75 for the failed moulds. Quick easy money for INSTAsmile/denLABdirect for £20 worth of kit they sent me. I can’t be the only one unable to produce a self-impression mould. There must be many others out there, but you won’t know about them because INSTAsmile/denLABdirect and Trustpilot.com work together to only show positive reviews on Trustpilot.com.

It is very important to get the self-impression mould correct otherwise your veneer will not be correct. Even if you get the veneer right you may end up with sub-standard product. But you will never know because there are only handful negative reviews at the bottom of the pile on Trustpilot.com

You only see positive reviews of INSTAsmile/denLABdirect. Think about it how can that be possible?

You have been warned!!
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 17th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    I would be fascinated to know who the "experts" are who help you to complete an impression , as it is illegal for anyone to take impressions of a persons mouth other than a dentist, a clinical dental technician, dental therapist, hygienist or dental nurse working to a dentists prescription.

As any of the above will tell you taking a clinically accurate impression is quite an art and takes a long time to perfect the technique .

I would be interested if any of the "clinics" are registered with the cqc and who inspects them.

I would also be fascinated as to what you tell customers the lifespan of this product would be , the limitations and the possible contraindications are.

I would also be interested as to why the GDC numbers of the labs and technicians who are producing the product are not advertised as per GDC regulations.

If you look hard there are plenty of customers who have not had good experiences https://denlab-direct.!!!!edconsumer.com
    Last edited by brook2jack; 17-10-2016 at 3:59 PM.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 17th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 8,675 Posts
    • 10,332 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    Nice of you to come on Instasmile!

What would you say is the main use of your product?

I would say it's only practical use would be for someone who left it far to late to get something done for a wedding/prom/important event and wanted something to make the photos look good - but with no real hope of doing anything practical in them like eat or talk.

Even then, I'd probably recommend a patient of mine to ask the photographer to use Photoshop rather than pay for this (rather expensive) option.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 17th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    ukmike
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    If you look hard there are plenty of customers who have not had good experiences https://denlab-direct.!!!!edconsumer.com
    Server not found.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 17th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    Where the dashes are substitute a four letter word for urinate. Money saving edited the link and can't use a tiny link.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 17th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 8,675 Posts
    • 10,332 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    Server not found.
    Originally posted by ukmike
    Probably because the swear detector put a !!!! in the web address!

So - guess the word and try that
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • supercheese
    • By supercheese 22nd Dec 16, 9:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    supercheese
    • 22nd Dec 16, 9:29 AM
    • 22nd Dec 16, 9:29 AM
    Actually they don't need to be registered with the GDC to make this type of device. But yes, impressions can only be taken by a registered dental professional or under the prescription of one.
    There are many videos online showing one how to take an impression easily and carefully, it's not really that much of an art, just that some people have difficulty with having an impression taken regardless of whether they're taking it themselves or by having it taken by an experienced dental professional.
    The op could have bought alginate impression material online from an auction site, and saved a considerable sum and practised a bit more to get the job done instead.

Note: This is not a medical device. It is a novelty item. It does not require regulation because it is a novelty item.
    It is not meant to be a functional appliance and is not sold as such and thus, they do not need do display their technicians registration details nor do they need to conform to the GDC or medical devices directives.

If the op wanted regulated device then the snap on smile prescribed by a dentist would have been the way to go.
    Just saying.
    • Metropolis904
    • By Metropolis904 12th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Metropolis904
    • 12th May 17, 3:54 PM
    INSTAsmile/DenLAB direct
    • 12th May 17, 3:54 PM
    I have ordered through this company with no issues. I placed on order and received my impression kit in a couple of business days. I took the impressions and sent them back where they were inspected and good to go for the product. It took about 20 working days and received a great product. Would recommend this company to anyone.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 12th May 17, 4:10 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 12th May 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12th May 17, 4:10 PM
    If I was cynical I might wonder why a new poster has resurrected an old thread to praise the product mentioned.

More recently someone has taken this firm to court http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dental-firm-gave-joke-shop-12967607
    • smulligan1985
    • By smulligan1985 15th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    smulligan1985
    INSTAsmile has changed my life
    Instasmile clip on veneers have changed my life. I have never liked my smile and have always been embarrassed in public. After being sceptical at first I chose instasmile after calling their customer service line and spoke to a member of the team in manchester. I received my impression kit within a couple of days, sent my impressions back and then got an email stating that the lower had passed but the upper had failed (I suspected as much) as I rushed the upper. They are very helpful on the phone and sent me out a free kit to have another go, i knew i would have to pay if i messed up again so I took my time and luckily got it right! I then received my new smile within 3 weeks and i cannot tell you how over the moon I am. There may be some sceptical reviews on here but I love them! thanks instasmile!!!
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 15th May 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Yet another one post only new poster praising this product. A quick search of the Internet reveals many unhappy customers of instasmile and denlab eg https://www.p*ssedconsumer.com/denlab-direct/RT-F.html

You will have to replace the * with an i for the link to work.

I am not sure many will realise this is a "novelty product" with a 12 month lifespan not meant for eating with .

I am also sure that this will massively increase the problems those with decayed teeth/gum disease have and the £199 to £299 these cost would go a long way to making their mouths healthier.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 15th May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Instasmile clip on veneers have changed my life. I have never liked my smile and have always been embarrassed in public. After being sceptical at first I chose instasmile after calling their customer service line and spoke to a member of the team in manchester. I received my impression kit within a couple of days, sent my impressions back and then got an email stating that the lower had passed but the upper had failed (I suspected as much) as I rushed the upper. They are very helpful on the phone and sent me out a free kit to have another go, i knew i would have to pay if i messed up again so I took my time and luckily got it right! I then received my new smile within 3 weeks and i cannot tell you how over the moon I am. There may be some sceptical reviews on here but I love them! thanks instasmile!!!
    Originally posted by smulligan1985
    Quite similar to a review on another site by a different poster, posted four minutes after this . Coincidence?

by jbadget1970
    19 minutes ago
    0 comments
    NOT RESOLVED
    Was really sceptical given some mixed reviews, but went ahead and am absolutely delighted with my new smile!Thanks instasmile!!!!!
    I have some teeth missing and have yellowish teeth due to not brushing my teeth as a child. I have looked into dental treatments but I have a fear of the dentist and simply cannot afford the thousands of pounds for surgery. I looked at other avenues but settled on instasmile as i really liked their video reviews from other customers online,.
    they looked genuine so i took a gamble and now i am soo happy with the results.i am really glad i made this choice, they only cost £199 and have changed my life
    Review about: Instasmile Clip On Veneers.
    I liked: Quality and price of instasmile.
    Review #1047354 is a subjective opinion of a user.
    • theGrinch
    • By theGrinch 15th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    theGrinch
    I dont have a good experience of them. I carefully followed the instructions and made two failed attempts. It is tricky indeed.

They offered to set up a dentist appointment to do it, but I decided against it. They said a refund less an admin charge would be made. I only got it when after 40 days I complained to my credit card company.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
    • annvernon1975
    • By annvernon1975 20th May 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    annvernon1975
    Instasmile Review
    I am posting this as I am a little bit annoyed that there seem to be a couple of trolls hell bent on trying to discredit instasmile. I carried out my own research prior to buying from them and was convinced by the real life customer testimonials. I even looked at this thread which did put me off a little however i went ahead and purchased and i am so glad i did. instasmile has really helped me, i now have great teeth and can smile again all for £199! with anything online do your research. I even rang them to check that they are real people and they are, based just outside of manchester in the UK and Chicago in the USA. Real products from real people. Thanks instasmile i will continue to recommend you to everyone i can. you helped me, i'll help you! Thanks Ann x
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 20th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Yet another first time poster joining to praise instasmile, as opposed to long time posters , who have posted on many different subjects, who have had problems and multiple website reviews detailing problems.

It is interesting that all of the posters who have praised instasmile posted once and never visited the site again, one of them resurrecting a very old thread.

All of this for a "novelty" product that costs several hundred pounds , is not designed to be used when eating, which has a twelve month lifespan and is designed not to treat dental disease , but to hide it.
    • theGrinch
    • By theGrinch 20th May 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    theGrinch
    The only trolls are the newbies from Instant smile with their fake sycophantic praise not the members that have been here 10 years plus.

Every time you post dubious hollow praise you damage your integrity for all to read.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
    • Parrotlady
    • By Parrotlady 1st Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Parrotlady
    I`m worried sick
    I am a disabled wheelchair user with various serious medical conditions. After years of various long term medications, my teeth have become discoloured. I came across Instasmile by accident. I did lots of research, (obviously not enough) saw mainly positive reviews and YouTube videos of happy people with their new "teeth". I decided to get the most expensive veneers thinking they will last longer. I made the order on 22nd December. Since then they have recently changed and updated their website. This will become relevant later in my story.
    I will skip over the teeth impression process other than to say I had to pay return postage three times due to problems with my impressions. Fast forward, and I received my veneers last week. To say I am gutted is an understatement. Now, I am an honest and fair minded person. The fit and overall look of the teeth are great, BUT, the colour shade I ordered from their colour chart is dreadful and not even close to what I chose. When I contacted them I was told that they wouldn't do anything and would only replace them if I paid another £150!! When I trawled through their website I found they had covered this situation by saying that it would £100 not £150. I was then told the extra £50 is because I had ordered the most expensive veneers. When I pointed out it did not say this on their website so they relented and offered to do it for £100. I told them I would have to ring back to make payment as my husbands wages didn't go into our bank until that night.

When my husband came home, he reminded me that I had taken screenshots of their old colour charts to show my daughters who were interested in getting them. When I looked, I was so so angry. The colour I had ordered was only one shade down from the really, reallly bright Rylan Clark type shade. It was called BL4. The customer service manager had already confirmed it was this shade I had ordered. I sent them their old colour chart and photos of my veneers for them to assess. This wasn't good enough. I was then asked to send a photo of me wearing them for the production manager to assess. I have done this. I phoned this morning AGAIN, to ask what the outcome is. They haven't even looked at my email.

I wish I could post a photo of what I actually got, and the shade chart for you folks to make your own minds up. I'm not sure I can do it here?
    So, as of this morning, I am still waiting to find out what their verdict is. I am pretty certain,judging by your previous posts on this thread, that I will have to pay another £100 to get what I paid for.
    I am so upset by the whole process. I will let you know what happens.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 3rd Jun 17, 4:26 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    You do realise that these are only supposed to last 12 months and are not meant to be used when eating?

Also any medication that that stains your teeth can be polished off but will stain the acrylic on these "veneers" which can't be polished off.

Finally if your medications include things that give you dry mouth wearing something like this will accelerate decay massively and you will end up loosing teeth.

Other than that good luck, you will need it dealing with these folks.
    • Parrotlady
    • By Parrotlady 4th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Parrotlady
    The ones I ordered last 2yrs. Because of my disabilities, I don't go out everyday and will only be wearing them when I do, which is normally 2/3 times a week, so in theory they should last a lot longer than that.
    My teeth are not just stained and can be polished. If that was the case I would have done that., I won't be wearing the veneers when taking medication so it cannot stain them. Thankfully, I don't suffer with dry mouth either.

As suspected, they have forced me to pay another £100. What choice did I have? Either pay it, or waste all the money I had already spent. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that the new set fit as well as the first set with the correct colour shade. Lesson learnt.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 4th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Reading through the terms and conditions you only get a 30 day warranty which covers a limited number of manufacturing faults.

If you pay extra you get a twelve month warranty. It also has a list of exclusions on the twelve month warranty.

Nowhere does it guarantee a two year lifespan and even if you purchase the extended guarantee there are a number of exclusions .
    Last edited by brook2jack; 04-06-2017 at 8:39 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,073Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin