Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,944Posts
    • 37,677Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 66
    • Mr_blibby
    • By Mr_blibby 5th Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_blibby
    Been down to the wire before service went off, which may have resulted in divorce and I wasn't thinking of spending that much

Best offer I could get was 50% off TV, 18 month discount period, on 30-day rolling contract with £25 account credit. - Still an increase on last year, for less of the content I watch (Champions League, Ashes, etc) . Would just advise to get confirmation in writing that if you give notice, then no early termination charges will apply. I'll give a couple of months to get Xmas out of the way and give notice and try again.....
    Last edited by Mr_blibby; 05-12-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 5th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    malky39
    Well my sky tv went off today called up to see what they could do 50% for 18 months on a 18 month contract. No sign of any bill credit or 30 day rolling contract. Will hold out for the 60% they offered when I originally cancelled
    • Raging Bull
    • By Raging Bull 5th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Raging Bull
    So the pain of the contract ending is now approaching. After a battle with the telephone operator last year, I found the online offer to be 50% and the TV interactive offer to be even better at 60% off. Do these kind of offers still exist if the pain of the haggling conversation fails?
    • Mr_blibby
    • By Mr_blibby 5th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_blibby
    The only place I've seen 60% is for a few selected (dont know on what basis) customers who received a letter in September time giving them a 12 month extension of whatever deal they were on without renewal - otherwise 50% seems to be the max without ending the service. Sky have been a real PITA to talk to this time.....
    Last edited by Mr_blibby; 05-12-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    • Liberty1577
    • By Liberty1577 5th Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Liberty1577
    Ok so after putting in my notice last month I had multiple daily phone calls from sky which I ignored. Today my TV went off. I went on live chat this evening and was initially offered 50% off. after turning this down and quoting a few figures I was offered 60% off with a £25 credit. I pushed really hard for better, asked them to continue my 75% discount from last year or to increase the amount of credit, but he was adamant he couldn't offer more. In total £30.20 for box sets sports (not HD) and cinema. In the end I accepted but dropped sports (as its not rugby season, might add it again next year) So £22.40 for box sets and cinema.

The offer is for 12 months, he said it's suppose to be an 18 month contract but dropped it to 12 months without me asking. I tried for a rolling contract as that's what I've had previous years, but he said he couldn't do it. Even said I'd leave it and he was willing to let me walk away. In the end it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I probably wouldn't leave anyway whilst on a discount.

He didn't even mention the one off £10 admin fee but I later noticed it had been charged on my account but a credit of £10 had been added.

So looks like 60% and £25 credit really is the best offer at the moment.
    Last edited by Liberty1577; 05-12-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    • headpin
    • By headpin 5th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    headpin
    Is Live Chat available on an iPad? If so how as I admit defeat trying to find it.
    • Liberty1577
    • By Liberty1577 6th Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Liberty1577
    Is Live Chat available on an iPad? If so how as I admit defeat trying to find it.
    Originally posted by headpin
    Yes it is I use an iPad. This is the cancel sky tv link. For anything else it's under the contact us section on the sky home page.
    https://contactus.sky.com/uk/sky-tv/cancel-sky-tv
    Last edited by Liberty1577; 06-12-2017 at 7:03 AM.
    • talal211981
    • By talal211981 6th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    talal211981
    Iíve just been in touch with the chat team, I was told the best and only offer would be 40% off sky original bundle only for 18 months, to that I said no thank you.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 6th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    shaggy
    Iíve just been in touch with the chat team, I was told the best and only offer would be 40% off sky original bundle only for 18 months, to that I said no thank you.
    Originally posted by talal211981
    the more of us that refuse these rubbish retention deals the better the offers will be when they realise their numbers are down.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 6th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    malky39
    Ok so after putting in my notice last month I had multiple daily phone calls from sky which I ignored. Today my TV went off. I went on live chat this evening and was initially offered 50% off. after turning this down and quoting a few figures I was offered 60% off with a £25 credit. I pushed really hard for better, asked them to continue my 75% discount from last year or to increase the amount of credit, but he was adamant he couldn't offer more. In total £30.20 for box sets sports (not HD) and cinema. In the end I accepted but dropped sports (as its not rugby season, might add it again next year) So £22.40 for box sets and cinema.

The offer is for 12 months, he said it's suppose to be an 18 month contract but dropped it to 12 months without me asking. I tried for a rolling contract as that's what I've had previous years, but he said he couldn't do it. Even said I'd leave it and he was willing to let me walk away. In the end it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I probably wouldn't leave anyway whilst on a discount.

He didn't even mention the one off £10 admin fee but I later noticed it had been charged on my account but a credit of £10 had been added.

So looks like 60% and £25 credit really is the best offer at the moment.
    Originally posted by Liberty1577
    Good to see 60% is still there, will have a go at live chat tomorrow
    • downshifter98
    • By downshifter98 7th Dec 17, 12:05 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    downshifter98
    one month without Sky now - household seems to be adapting - we have Netflix plus a Now TV account (and 2 cheap boxes) - the boxes included a total of 6 months of Sky movies. As more and more tv becomes on demand (we are discovering how good iplayer, ITV hub etc are) I'm thinking that the days of paying £40 - £80 per month for lots of channels (and adverts) we don't watch is becoming out of date - funny that now there is a real and cheaper alternative Sky has stopped their best offers (which I've made the most of for the past 10-odd years). Also added a half price BT sport offer (via Plusnet) which is keeping our sport mad son quiet (for now). Total monthly spend is now about £14 and more TV than you can shake a stick at - Sky needs to change and fast.
    Last edited by downshifter98; 07-12-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    • vix2000
    • By vix2000 7th Dec 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    vix2000
    Is there a best time of day to ring? Also which is the best team to ring, as tried basic retentions but got nowhere. Thanks
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Is there a best time of day to ring? Also which is the best team to ring, as tried basic retentions but got nowhere. Thanks
    Originally posted by vix2000
    Don't bother between 4pm and 6pm otherwise it's pot luck. If you're scheduled for cancellation just say 'Winback' when the automated systems asks what you need.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 8th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    TV deals
    My 31 days notice is 17 December

Was on live chat just now and was offered 50 % off

Box sets with sports and cinema HD which I understand is a cost of 81.50
    So was offered 40.75 for 12 months and after pushing got a 25 pounds credit.

Is this a good deal....or can I hold out for more ?
    • zaax
    • By zaax 8th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    zaax
    Before I left I was getting a 75% discount, but I found Netfix and Freesat is even cheaper.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My 31 days notice is 17 December

Was on live chat just now and was offered 50 % off

Box sets with sports and cinema HD which I understand is a cost of 81.50
    So was offered 40.75 for 12 months and after pushing got a 25 pounds credit.

Is this a good deal....or can I hold out for more ?
    Originally posted by dazzaofdagenham
    50% and the £25 credit seems to be the maximum without letting the service actually turn off. If you accept it you have to make sure that you absolutely refuse to pay their '£10 admin fee', the more people who do the more chance (probably slim I know) they'll drop it entirely.

I've just changed to the same deal (Boxsets only) on an 18 month rolling contract, my BB/LR will be next up for discussion once we've finally moved house.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 9th Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    drphila
    Th recordings remain but you have no access to them.
    Originally posted by KTF
    Thanks for all responses to my question about losing recordings after switch off (Sky Q).

Does that including losing access to recordings taken from Free-To-Air channels?
    • mainroad
    • By mainroad 9th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mainroad
    Over 80's Sky TV discount
    My dad has just turned 80 and has been told by a friend that he can get discount on his sky Tv. Does anyone know if this is true?
    • kellyp
    • By kellyp 9th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    kellyp
    Just posted this in haggling page but might be better placed here:

’m out of contract with sky. Only have original bundle and unlimited broadband and telephone. Was paying £50/month. Spoke to someone on online chat today. Kept trying to sell me boxsets which I don’t want. Got offered to keep original package with fibre unlimited at £44/month. Was hoping for more like a box or cheap cinema deal. Wouldn’t give me a Q box - only on £50/month plus £20 set up. Could get cinema at £10/month but everyone being offered that at mo so didn’t seem like a good deal. I decided to say I’ll wait and speak to the other half. Was I foolish?! Does anyone think I can get better than the £44/month deal? I played the BT card saying same package is £10 less but he wasn’t budging. Any help/advice?! Thanks.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thanks for all responses to my question about losing recordings after switch off (Sky Q).

Does that including losing access to recordings taken from Free-To-Air channels?
    Originally posted by drphila
    Not only do you lose access to all recordings (and the ability to make any more) but you'll also lose access to the set top box, the Q system box belongs to Sky and they'll want it back.

Edit: You also won't be able to plug the satellite cable into anything else as the LNB (the bit at the end of the dish) is specific to the Sky Q system and isn't compatible with anything else. You would need to change it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter