Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,943Posts
    • 37,677Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 65
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 28th Nov 17, 3:39 PM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Sky TV disconnected. 2 hours later back on.

60% off the full package for 18 months = £32.20 a month
    Originally posted by spikescot2005
    Does that include Cinema and Sports HD pack ? If so, its more than 60% off
    • kpk2000
    • By kpk2000 28th Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    kpk2000
    Fed up of paying £92 per month for Sky Q (no broadband or phone as with Plusnet) so called this evening to 'cancel'. Was offered same Sky Q package for £72.40 which is about 20% off - not enough for me so went through with cancellation on 29th December.

How long will it be before they call me back (hopefully with better offer!) if they will at all?
    2008 - Premiership Final Tickets,
    2009 - Sony E-Reader, Devon Break,
    2010 - Top Gear goodies, Fuel (Xbox360), Microsoft Expression Studio,
    2011 - iPod Touch, £200 cheque ...
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 29th Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Fed up of paying £92 per month for Sky Q (no broadband or phone as with Plusnet) so called this evening to 'cancel'. Was offered same Sky Q package for £72.40 which is about 20% off - not enough for me so went through with cancellation on 29th December.

How long will it be before they call me back (hopefully with better offer!) if they will at all?
    Originally posted by kpk2000
    don't wait for them, call them when you can and see what deals they have, every call handler has different deals generally
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 29th Nov 17, 8:17 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    don't wait for them, call them when you can and see what deals they have, every call handler has different deals generally
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    There's a number on the cancellation confirmation email for "if you change your mind" that gets you straight through to a retention person and I was instantly offered a much better deal than the original customer retention person on the "thinking of cancelling" line.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • primmer10590
    • By primmer10590 29th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    primmer10590
    The package: Sky TV Only - The original Bundle

The price and discount: 31% discount, down from £20pm to £15.40 with a £10 admin fee

The length of the contract: 18 months
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 29th Nov 17, 10:54 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The package: Sky TV Only - The original Bundle

The price and discount: 31% discount, down from £20pm to £15.40 with a £10 admin fee

The length of the contract: 18 months
    Originally posted by primmer10590

You did refuse ?

I turned down 50% off and have left.
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 30th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    I thought I would have one last shot at haggling before my service terminates 6th December. 40% is the best Sky will offer. The advisor I chatted with said that Sky weren't offering 60% or 75% deals at the moment although that would fly in the face of some of the posts here and my colleague who told me he just negotiated a 75% off deal this month.

08:24 However, we are not offering 60% or 75% off offer at the moment.
    Sky

08:24 I'm not going to accept 40% when I categorically know others are being offered much higher discounts.
    Lover of Lycra

08:24 I respect your decision but at Sky no one can give you a higher discount and once the services are terminated, you will not get this discount. You will need to return the equipments.
    Sky
    • spikescot2005
    • By spikescot2005 30th Nov 17, 9:07 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    spikescot2005
    Does that include Cinema and Sports HD pack ? If so, its more than 60% off
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Full package including HD
    • Tilona
    • By Tilona 2nd Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tilona
    I have been silly and by mistake took a 10 month deal on a 12 month contract which runs out end of feb. I have rung then to negotiate on standard unlimited broadband, pay as u go talk and original tv bundle only. I am currently paying £28 which will go up to £50 in Jan and Feb. They have offered me a £37.60 deal for 18 months. Is that good or is it worth it calling them to 'actually cancel' hoping they will come down further or shall I stick with that offer? I assume if they don't get back to me by the end of December I will be able to call them and change my mind on the cancellation but would run the risk of losing my current offer? Any advice appreciated.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have been silly and by mistake took a 10 month deal on a 12 month contract which runs out end of feb. I have rung then to negotiate on standard unlimited broadband, pay as u go talk and original tv bundle only. I am currently paying £28 which will go up to £50 in Jan and Feb. They have offered me a £37.60 deal for 18 months. Is that good or is it worth it calling them to 'actually cancel' hoping they will come down further or shall I stick with that offer? I assume if they don't get back to me by the end of December I will be able to call them and change my mind on the cancellation but would run the risk of losing my current offer? Any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by Tilona
    Surely you've had your answer in your original thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73495342#post73495342
    • wapow
    • By wapow 2nd Dec 17, 5:03 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    wapow
    How to Win with Sky :

Be prepared to live without Sky for 3 days.
    Login to you online account
    Click on TV or Offers or Upgrades, cant remember which one.

One of those will say on the page we are unable to upgrade your package. Please call this number.

Dial whatever number you have.
    Ask for Winback Team

Once through, tell them that you left Sky, may consider if there is a good offer.

Like myself, you will be presented with 60% off any package including add ons.

I made a slight mistake with mine and ended up with only 60% off anything, but I presume I could've had some credit and on rolling aswell. In any case, I took the 60%.

If they don't offer 60%, just hang up. Retry a couple of hours later.

How to - 50% Off

Online chat can only offer 50% max.
    They will not offer you anymore than that.

Go into the chat saying new customers get 50% off code so rather than cancelling you'd like to ask if you can be offered 50% to stay on.

If they say Yes, it also means you can push for a rolling contract.

If they say No, end the chat and retry in 2 hours.

Be advised, they cant go over 50% on an existing account!
    I don't know if any of the above works with Sky Q

How to Lose with Sky

Getting frustrated at them
    Complaining about new customers vs existing
    Saying that your friend has X or you read online you can get X
    Saying that others are getting X amount off so why cant you
    Being pushy with a very specific offer, like "I will only come back at X percent off and X amount of credit". usually, staff in any company (mobile, BB, tv, banks) are told to flat refuse if a customer comes with an offer. They are trained so that it should always be that the company makes the offer to you.

Basically any kind of whining is a no.
    You approach to this is like you don't need it, but are doing them a favour by wanting it as long as they can give you a good offer.

Finally...
    All discounts can only be applied to full price. Which means if you see on their website that they're offering Sky Cinema at say example, £10 as part of a promotion and you think you can get 50% off that making it £5, youre wrong. They cant add a discount on a promotion, same with phone companies etc. So if you get 50% off, it will be 50% off the full price.
    Last edited by wapow; 02-12-2017 at 5:13 PM.
    • me03
    • By me03 2nd Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    me03
    Just went back to sky after being with virgin for 18 months. After chatting online for a while got offered;

sky q box
    box sets package
    sky fibre max
    talk talk/line rental for £55

Also promised sky sports and cinema for £15 per month once activated as it was working our too expensive to add it on now.

All in, £70 per month - was paying £63 with virgin but had jumped up to £111 and they could only offer me £91 for same package or £81 for lower tv pack and broadband speed. Doesn't really sound cheap compared to others but have top tv package and top broadband so I will be happy being back with sky which we prefer for another 18 months!
    • stulaunch
    • By stulaunch 3rd Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    stulaunch
    Originally posted by Tilona
    A few years ago I took a similar deal, 10 month discount on a 12 month contract.
    This is what I did. I called them in month 9 and gave notice to cancel in advance at the end of the 12 months. I then had offers via banner in mysky straight after giving the notice. So I didn't have to pay the 2 months full price.
    Though not sure if this still happens, maybe worth a try.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    A few years ago I took a similar deal, 10 month discount on a 12 month contract.
    This is what I did. I called them in month 9 and gave notice to cancel in advance at the end of the 12 months. I then had offers via banner in mysky straight after giving the notice. So I didn't have to pay the 2 months full price.
    Though not sure if this still happens, maybe worth a try.
    Originally posted by stulaunch
    The trouble is you have almost no bargaining power in that scenario, you certainly wouldn't be offered the 50% & £25 credit for instance that seems to be the limit at the moment without the service actually being turned off I'd have thought.

Obviously you can only try (be persistent and try, try again) but you have to be prepared to pay the full price for at least month 11.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Giving more than the required notice, if you really mean to quit,can cause problems as I found this year, on ringing two days early as phone waiting times were long. My actual leaving date was incorrect at least 4 times.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 4th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    drphila
    How to Win with Sky :

Be prepared to live without Sky for 3 days.
    Originally posted by wapow
    If you do go beyond the switch off date, do you lose any recordings on the box?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Dec 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Originally posted by drphila
    No, as long as there's no licensing restrictions of course such as only available for 30 days (even they're still available up until the end of the term).

Edit: as @KTF says below (and I should have mentioned) although they're still there you just can't access them.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 04-12-2017 at 4:58 PM.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 4th Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,868 Thanks
    KTF
    Originally posted by drphila
    Th recordings remain but you have no access to them.
    • tinshed
    • By tinshed 5th Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    tinshed
    I am currently in an offer until 2019, no contract at all.

Sky+ Hd box with boxsets.
    Bedroom has an extra bog standard HD box without recording or Catch up, boxsets.
    Sky fibre unlimited

Total price is £49 per month.

I really want Sports & Movies but not sure if id be cutting my nose off to spite my face if I cancelled on the deal I have.

Not sure if its a good one or not.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I am currently in an offer until 2019, no contract at all.

Sky+ Hd box with boxsets.
    Bedroom has an extra bog standard HD box without recording or Catch up, boxsets.
    Sky fibre unlimited

Total price is £49 per month.

I really want Sports & Movies but not sure if id be cutting my nose off to spite my face if I cancelled on the deal I have.

Not sure if its a good one or not.
    Originally posted by tinshed
    Why not ask them, without making a commitment ?

You obviously realise that adding the two channels would cancel your existing offer, but as you want to upgrade they may offer a better deal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter