Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,947Posts
    • 37,678Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 50
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 4th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    antispam246
    So it's full price TV for the last 6 months (£38 for Q)? Can't say I like those sort of deals (although overall it's a good deal).

Just because they're happy to talk to you doesn't mean they'll offer anything and if they do offer a smaller discount it'll tie you into another 18 month contract no doubt (or you just pay the £38 for 6 months).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Totally appreciate it. Like I said there's deals and then there's deals. It's dependent on so many variable that at the end of the day best thing you can do is set your own goal posts.

I've read numerous people saying they got X deal which is significantly better than most, be it 60%-75% but it's not going to be achievable for everyone. By all means push for it but it's always going to be you versus them regardless of how many times you use the "well this person got this".

Further more, for me personally, it's the time and stress of it. Id rather hit my goal as quickly as possible with little down time. I could have dragged it out, let the contract expire altogether and play the waiting game but quite frankly I've better things to do.

A chat transcript will absolutely not guarantee anything in the slightest but it's a better starting point than nothing, but that's for in 12 months time

• scottyboydfc
    • By scottyboydfc 4th Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    scottyboydfc
    2 days to go until my TV service is cut. Feels like playing chicken a bit but like I've said before I can go without the Sky in all honesty.

Best offer I've had is 50% off the boxsets package with normal priced multiroom - £31/month on a 12 month contract. Told them my biting point is £25 (just needs the multiroom to become half price too )
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 4th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    shavy65
    Also just cancelled over chat, after eventually getting through.
    After a long chat over usage etc I was offered 20% and then after asking to cancel was offered 40%. Went ahead with cancellation. I`m not going any lower than my current 50% off.
    Originally posted by shavy65
    Offer been improved on Chat - 50% off. Unfortunately this meant my monthly payment would be up by £5 due to the fact she told me they no longer offer discounts on HD anymore (true?). I explained I didn`t want my payments to increase at all at which point she offered £25 credit. I politely declined.

I`d need £60 credit to keep my monthly payments the same.

The game continues
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    A chat transcript will absolutely not guarantee anything in the slightest but it's a better starting point than nothing, but that's for in 12 months time
    Originally posted by antispam246
    The point is that you've agreed a 18 month contract, so in 12 months when your deal ends you will have zero leverage to negotiate anything. You won't be able to leave and Sky will have no incentive to offer you further discounts for those additional six months. The person offering to "negotiate" in a year has basically fobbed you off to close the deal!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Oct 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    brewerdave
    The point is that you've agreed a 18 month contract, so in 12 months when your deal ends you will have zero leverage to negotiate anything. You won't be able to leave and Sky will have no incentive to offer you further discounts for those additional six months. The person offering to "negotiate" in a year has basically fobbed you off to close the deal!
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Its obviously now a regular tactic to offer a belter of a 12 month deal but on an 18 month contract.
    When I was phoned yesterday, the agent was prepared to up the discount by including the Sports HD pack in the 60% off deal in return for an 18 month tie in - so I'd save an extra ~ £43 over the first year ....but pay full price for the next 6 months I don't think so !!!
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 5th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    lee111s
    My deal was an 18 month contract with the price fixed for the full term.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the agent was prepared to up the discount by including the Sports HD pack in the 60% off deal in return for an 18 month tie in - so I'd save an extra ~ £43 over the first year ....but pay full price for the next 6 months I don't think so !!!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone to accept a new 18 month contract unless....
    My deal was an 18 month contract with the price fixed for the full term.
    Originally posted by lee111s
    Well done. I hope you have that in writing?
    • Pauleb80
    • By Pauleb80 5th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pauleb80
    I originally jumped on the MSE deal from this time last year (complete package for £30 for 12 months) - has anyone managed to keep this deal or get something very similar when calling SKY?
    Originally posted by ydt88
    Yes I did. Was in exactly same position, no way was I going to pay the full amount when my MSE deal ended. It wasn't easy though, I phoned and used live chat numerous times. I even gave my notice to cancel. On one call the women laughed at me when I told her what deal I wanted. Eventually I got it using live chat (I guess it's just the luck of the draw as to who you speak to). I even managed to get it on a rolling contract which was an unexpected bonus!
    • Walter1912
    • By Walter1912 6th Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Walter1912
    We have Sky Q which is due for renewal and they have offered us approx 30% off on 18 month contract. This is still too expensive so given notice to cancel. Before we moved to Q we were given 50% offer via tv. Can anyone tell me where to look on Sky Q to check for offers? Thanks
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 7th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    pawlala
    Via live chat - Offered 50% off for 12 months plus £25 credit, happy with that so took it. Credit added immediately but they said the 50% would take 24-48h to apply which I was dubious about. I will contact them again today to make sure it wasn't just a fob off.

Anyone else had to wait a couple of days for future bills to readjust?
    Mortgage free I: 8th December 2009!
    Mortgage free II: New Year's Eve 2013!
    Mortgage free III: Est. Dec 2019...
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Via live chat - Offered 50% off for 12 months plus £25 credit, happy with that so took it. Credit added immediately but they said the 50% would take 24-48h to apply which I was dubious about. I will contact them again today to make sure it wasn't just a fob off.

Anyone else had to wait a couple of days for future bills to readjust?
    Originally posted by pawlala
    My expected future bills adjusted within a couple of hours;however, the recalculation on the upcoming sub for this month was corrected twice in the days after I took the deal.
    • OohSoHolly
    • By OohSoHolly 7th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    OohSoHolly
    Where people have instigated the cancellation and it’s pending, when you’ve gone back to live chat are you simply just saying you’ve cancelled can you offer me anything to stay? I’ve still only got the 30% offer on my account but would ideally like 50%. Many Thanks
    [I'm Here to Money Save... Are you?]
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 7th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    pawlala
    My expected future bills adjusted within a couple of hours;however, the recalculation on the upcoming sub for this month was corrected twice in the days after I took the deal.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Thanks. They said mine would be requested within two working days, so hopefully adjustments when they do it on Monday/Tuesday. I did it last night so it will probably be Tuesday at the latest. I'll be playing merry hell if it isn't done by then
    Mortgage free I: 8th December 2009!
    Mortgage free II: New Year's Eve 2013!
    Mortgage free III: Est. Dec 2019...
    • Pauleb80
    • By Pauleb80 8th Oct 17, 1:08 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pauleb80
    Where people have instigated the cancellation and itís pending, when youíve gone back to live chat are you simply just saying youíve cancelled can you offer me anything to stay? Iíve still only got the 30% offer on my account but would ideally like 50%. Many Thanks
    Originally posted by OohSoHolly
    My usual story was that I was about to sign up with BT / Virgin on a really good deal but before committing was just wanting to check if Sky could give me the deal I wanted to stay with them (plus loads of bs about how I loved Sky, didn't want to leave but cost was forcing me to take my business elsewhere). Eventually it worked, but took a long time to get the deal I wanted.
    • tomo658
    • By tomo658 8th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tomo658
    I'm a first time sky customer coming to the end of my first 12 month contract. I've just had the basic tv package, I've been paying £10 a month which is a 50% discount from £20 a month. I sent an email to cancel a few days ago, I had a call this afternoon and was offered 15% off for 12 months which would be £17 a month. Is it best to continue with my cancellation and wait for a better offer?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 9th Oct 17, 9:28 AM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I'm a first time sky customer coming to the end of my first 12 month contract. I've just had the basic tv package, I've been paying £10 a month which is a 50% discount from £20 a month. I sent an email to cancel a few days ago, I had a call this afternoon and was offered 15% off for 12 months which would be £17 a month. Is it best to continue with my cancellation and wait for a better offer?
    Originally posted by tomo658
    YES ! You should get at least 50% discount again
    • daverave
    • By daverave 9th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    daverave
    Where people have instigated the cancellation and itís pending, when youíve gone back to live chat are you simply just saying youíve cancelled can you offer me anything to stay? Iíve still only got the 30% offer on my account but would ideally like 50%. Many Thanks
    Originally posted by OohSoHolly
    If you are quite happy with 50% off and in your cancellation period then all you need to do is visit sky.com/stay50 which will give you the 50% off offer
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If you are quite happy with 50% off and in your cancellation period then all you need to do is visit sky.com/stay50 which will give you the 50% off offer
    Originally posted by daverave
    Thanks for that, I've not come across that before (is it new?)

The offer ends at 12.00am on Thursday 28 December 2017 and mine goes up on the 14th Dec so I may just accept that myself although I'll still have to sort the BB.
    • daverave
    • By daverave 9th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    daverave
    Thanks for that, I've not come across that before (is it new?)

The offer ends at 12.00am on Thursday 28 December 2017 and mine goes up on the 14th Dec so I may just accept that myself although I'll still have to sort the BB.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    It's been around for a while with the offer end date extending every now and again. For my broadband I went to the manage package section of My Sky and chose the option to cancel and reason that I'd found a cheaper deal with another provider. I was initially offered half price broadband unlimited for 12 months but after putting in my notice to cancel tv the broadband offer then changed to free broadband unlimited for 12 months with only line rental to pay which I accepted.
    • badgerswithafros
    • By badgerswithafros 9th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    badgerswithafros
    Originally posted by daverave
    Thanks for this. I just cancelled last week and was on here looking at best way forward to get a deal (other than the 30% offered on my MySky homepage).

Do you know if I click on the "Click Here" button once on that page is that me commited to taking the deal, or is there a chance to review the exact price etc? (It's not clear whether this would include my Sky Sports HD Pack that I previously had, hence I'd like to review)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

939Posts Today

5,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin