Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,943Posts
    • 37,677Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 49
    • DarkHarlequin
    • By DarkHarlequin 30th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DarkHarlequin
    Same except I also had sports but be careful.

I just had to complain to Sky because the 25 credit wasn't applied. The agent tried to fob me off saying she could not find it agreed on the transcript. As soon as I demanded a copy of the transcript she suddenly found it.

Now have to wait 72hrs for it to be applied
    Originally posted by Wallhart
    Cheers. Will keep an eye on things. It's definitely in the transcript as I pushed it up from £15 to £25!
    • sheffieldeagle
    • By sheffieldeagle 1st Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    sheffieldeagle
    I chatted on Friday and was offered 40% but it works out at just 12% off the standard discount they were offering in the Sky shop for an 18 month contract. I've declined and will try again when I contact to cancel.
    • ducky1979
    • By ducky1979 1st Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ducky1979
    I was offered 60% last year and fibre broadband and Sky q! That deal has ended now and I’ve rang up to cancel. I was initially offered 40% off but I declined.l, left it a few days and tried again and was still offered 40% with a £25 credit. Today I again was offered the same. I think I’ll be actually cancelling it this time. 40% after 17 years as a loyal customer is like a punch in the throat. Not really happy to lose Sky if I’m honest as it is what’s we’re ised to now. But I’m seriously thinking about Freesat and maybe a Now TV box for anything else. Be very sad to leave sky but at £68 a month for just box sets, cinema and multiroom I’ll have to cancel. What’s really annoying is my mate rang up yesterday and instantly got 50% off his package. So annoying.
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 1st Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    superbigal36
    Okay I did not need to negotiate this year as happy with opening offer. Chap much more honest than usual.
    Scenario
    Recontracted 30th October 2016 with Full Tv Package at 50% discount with HD and multiroom for 12 months .
    Called 2 days later. Cancelled multiroom and requested upgrade to Sky Q 2Gb. This was the cheapest way to do the actual upgrade (Install and box costs) at which point I added the 2nd box/multiscreen back in. Also went with Sports HD.
    Tv discounts of 50% were transferred giving £37 and I then also paid for £12 multiscreen and £6 HD
    Total (I actually got 6 months 50% on the HD) of £55 per month instead of full price £92

So tonight after getting through to a helpful soul in Glasgow he immediately offered the exact same deal for a further 12 months.
    On pushing for potential HD discount as it appears new customers can get it for £2 on 18 month deals. He said I could sign up for 18 months but his discount dropped to 40%. Then with the £4 saving on HD it actually made it more expensive overall.
    This guy did not play stupid and deny further discounts could arrive if I proceeded to cancel. He even agreed I may well get an automated email asking me to come back within 10 minutes (As I did last year).
    Quite refreshing to get what I was happy to accept within 5 minutes of calling.
    Last edited by superbigal36; 01-10-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 18,902 Posts
    • 10,121 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    40% after 17 years as a loyal customer is like a punch in the throat.
    Originally posted by ducky1979
    But your posting history shows that you've had more than one previous retention deal since at least 2009!

Hardly a "loyal" customer if you regularly threaten to cancel..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=24381729
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 2nd Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    shavy65
    a few days into cancellation. Oddly the offers on all three platforms (webiste, app and sky box) are consistent! sadly it`s only 30% off though.

Does anyone know if these offers get updated at random times or is there a certain time they change? It`ll save me looking so often if I can find out!
    Cheers.
    • sheffieldeagle
    • By sheffieldeagle 2nd Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    sheffieldeagle
    Are the discounts offered after a cancellation request based on the existing rolling contract or on a new 12 or 18 month contract?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Are the discounts offered after a cancellation request based on the existing rolling contract or on a new 12 or 18 month contract?
    Originally posted by sheffieldeagle
    It could be any of those, every call is different.
    • kthseat
    • By kthseat 2nd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kthseat
    discount
    was offered 50% at time of cancellation, but was on 60% deal. online thereafter was 30%, but received a letter offering 50% about a week before account due to end.
    • sheffieldeagle
    • By sheffieldeagle 3rd Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    sheffieldeagle
    Just accepted Sky's latest offer over chat. My current discount period was ending today. They offered me £44.80 on an 18 month contract last week. Chatting today they offered £40.50 for my package: Original, HD Mix and complete sports. Not amazing I know but I'm happy with that.
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 3rd Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    antispam246
    Spent a few weeks back and forth with sky team and retentions.

Originally had Sky Boxsets TV package only (Originally Sky Family), was looking to add broadband and get a Sky Q Box.

About 2 weeks ago after a couple of dealings with sky then eventually sky retentions I was offered;

Sky Boxsets £26 pm 18 months
    Sky Fibre Fax £13.99 off and line rental £9.99 + Sky Q Hub 18 months
    Sky Q 1TB Box £20 install/setup (one off)

I cancelled, all my contracts were up so I did have a few choices elsewhere,

I went back to them the other day with a week left before closure date and took the following deal

Sky Boxsets 50% off £19 pm 12/18 months
    Sky Fibre Max + line rental + Sky Q Hub £25pm 18/18 months
    Sky Q Box 1TB £20 one-off

They also stated that at the end of 12 months TV discount they would be happy to re-negociate (kept the chat transcript for that)

I know there's been better deals, I've had them in the past, only been with sky for 3 years so I'm happy with that.

I did push for more but they weren't budging and I'd already hit my target so would have simply been a bonus.

For the record I tried the following,

- Free weekends/evenings - nope
    - Standard multiroom price with free weekends/evenings - nope
    - £20 account credit - nope
    - Everything on rolling/12 month contracts - nope

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Sky Boxsets 50% off £19 pm 12/18 months
    They also stated that at the end of 12 months TV discount they would be happy to re-negociate (kept the chat transcript for that)
    Originally posted by antispam246
    So it's full price TV for the last 6 months (£38 for Q)? Can't say I like those sort of deals (although overall it's a good deal).

Just because they're happy to talk to you doesn't mean they'll offer anything and if they do offer a smaller discount it'll tie you into another 18 month contract no doubt (or you just pay the £38 for 6 months).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 18,902 Posts
    • 10,121 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by antispam246
    Just because they're happy to talk to you doesn't mean they'll offer anything
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Indeed, Sky haven't actually made any undertaking at all there. Keeping the transcript saying they are willing to "negotiate" in twelve months is not going to guarantee an extended deal (or any deal) at that time.
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 4th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    superbigal36
    As I said in a convulated way earlier.
    My Q renewal deal (After my initial 12 month contract was completed) was offered over either 12 months 50% discount or 18 months 40% discount.
    The discounts would apply for the FULL term.
    There should be no need to take 12 month discounts on 18 month contracts.
    The 18 month 40% also came with the HD discounted for £6 to £2

Of course the algorithms they must employ to offer deals, maybe really do restrict certain people to certain offers.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 4th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just got 60% off Sports and Box Sets when chatting to cancel -full price HD pack with Sports however so £32.20 pm vs £28.60 previously.
    Decided that the 75% offers are probably gone for ever!
    • Cardinal-Red
    • By Cardinal-Red 4th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Cardinal-Red
    Does anybody have experience of getting a good deal when quitting because of a genuine move.

I have a 50% code from a friend but I would lose my "VIP" status (stop laughing!) - I like it because I get free Sky Go Extra which is handy for the Playstation.

I want a full upgrade - Sky Q, sports, movies, multiroom, and broadband as compared to current package of Sky+, Variety pack and no add-ons; although Broadband is with Sky but not their fast one.

Is it better to just quit and take the 50% new install?
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
    • Mastanlem
    • By Mastanlem 4th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mastanlem
    Brewerdave,
    Did you ring them for this deal or through online chat.

Mastanlem
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,098 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Just got 60% off Sports and Box Sets when chatting to cancel -full price HD pack with Sports however so £32.20 pm vs £28.60 previously.
    Decided that the 75% offers are probably gone for ever!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    75% was after switch off , in the majority of cases.
    Lots of us got a 60% offer while still connected.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 4th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Brewerdave,
    Did you ring them for this deal or through online chat.

Mastanlem
    Originally posted by Mastanlem
    I was on chat to start with - apparently chat went down after I'd refused 50% offer (I didn't know!) so the Sky agent phoned my mobile with a revised 60% offer - I've been having a 'mare with them anyway as they had removed my Sports pack discounts about 8 weeks too early (all to do with the renaming of the Sports pack!).
    Finally I have an offer and the Sports pack fiasco is sorted ( well financially - but the bill for October is a complete mess of credits and debits)
    @teddysmum -yup ,could have proceeded with cancellation in the hope of getting better after switch off -but haven't seen many/any reports of 75% offers recently. so settled for this deal.
    • ydt88
    • By ydt88 4th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ydt88
    I originally jumped on the MSE deal from this time last year (complete package for £30 for 12 months) - has anyone managed to keep this deal or get something very similar when calling SKY?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,982Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter