Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,500Posts
    • 37,198Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 32
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 12th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 37,066 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I've never had any offers through after I have accepted a retention deal. Definitely shouldn't still getting them 2 weeks later.

Do your future bills match up to the deal you were given? Maybe worth getting in touch with them to confirm that you have withdrawn your cancellation notice, just in case you get cut off in a couple of weeks!
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Yep, future bills all match up.

A confirmation email never came through (usually get those) and was getting daily phone calls, so after a few days used live chat to ask if there was a problem and they read out all the details of the offer, which all matched up. They said the account had not been accessed since the offer was applied, so they weren't sure what the phone calls were about. At that point it had only been phone calls, the email was yesterday and the letter today (sorry realised I used plural letters/emails in my last post, it has only been one of each).

Past experience is only with offers being added before cancellation, but for this one the cancellation was put through (got cut off from live chat, while in the middle of negotiating, as it was closing time and got email confirmation that cancellation had been put through regardless, so used live chat again next day to finish negotiating, which meant cancellation only lasted about 18 hours).

Will see if calls/emails/letters continue and try to answer the phone or recontact them in a few days.

Thanks
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 12-06-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    • manse92
    • By manse92 14th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    manse92
    Threatening to cancel Sky
    I am a subscriber to Sky+HD and have been for some time. A few occasions I have threatened to cancel my subscription due to not being able to afford the luxury. Each time I have been offered a discount and accepted. However I have got to the point again where I'm looking at my bill and thinking I bet I can get this service cheaper. So, online I went through the process of threatening to cancel my subscription, when they offered me 10% off my standard package bill for 18 months (in terms and conditions, it says I might have to pay termination charges should I cancel during the 18 months). I'm thinking they can do better. I wanted to know that if I click the cancel my sky button instead of accepting the offer, will there be another offer to sway my decision or a confirmation window in case I want to back out? Also if I do actually cancel (but don't mean to) how long is it before I can sign back up again?

Cheers
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You can only cancel penalty free if you are out of contract .
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 14th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    JamesN
    Definitely, the standard discount in my account to renew for 12 months is 60% off. I don't even need to haggle for that. I've never settled for less than 50%. You've just got to put your cancellation notice in and wait. Just make sure you're not going to get any early termination fees. They can confirm this for you.

If you're a few months away from the end of contract you can give notice to cancel on your contracted end date which then puts you in the pot for the offers. Mine finishes in Sept and as said previously, I've got 60% already to renew.
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 14th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    JamesN
    I'm currently under cancellation and have been offered 60% off for 12 months as standard in my account. However, this is only on Sky +.

I want to check out Sky Q but the most they'd go on that is 40%. With that and the addition of multiscreen that would end up costing me about £360 a year more than what I'm paying now which isn't worth it to me.

Has anyone managed to get a good deal to renew and upgrade to Sky Q? I.e. more than 40%.

I've seen plenty of deals for new customers offering more than 40% on Sky Q.
    • Drchris123
    • By Drchris123 14th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drchris123
    I will add a 60% off offer for 12 months and it will cost you £23.80 a month for the sky Tv package for sky variety Tv package and sports package.

I will also add a 50% off offer for the sky broadband unlimited and line rental on your account.

The total monthly cost for the sky TV, fibre broadband and line rental will be £51.29 a month for 12 months.

Plus £50 credit

Anybody think this is a good deal?
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 15th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 37,066 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    A friend of mine is currently on a 60% off for 12 months, which doesn't run out until September. She has received an email saying:

"Enjoy Sky for 12 months with your current offers and no new contract.

We are pleased to let you know that your sky offers have been extended for another 12 months so you can carry on enjoying all the entertainment you love.

You don't have to do a thing we already updated your account and there is no new contract, your package and deal will stay exactly the same"

....so she's going to get 60% off for another 12 months without even contacting them! No haggling, no threatening to cancel etc. She hasn't had any contact with them since she haggled last year.

Of course she could still contact them and try to get some free credit on top.........

I wonder why they have done this for her (and 3 months early), but not others though.....chosen at random? She's been with them less years than others I know.
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 15-06-2017 at 2:34 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    A friend of mine is currently on a 60% off for 12 months, which doesn't run out until September. She has received an email saying:

"Enjoy Sky for 12 months with your current offers and no new contract.

We are pleased to let you know that your sky offers have been extended for another 12 months so you can carry on enjoying all the entertainment you love.

You don't have to do a thing we already updated your account and there is no new contract, your package and deal will stay exactly the same"

....so she's going to get 60% off for another 12 months without even contacting them! No haggling, no threatening to cancel etc. She hasn't been in any contact with them since she haggled last year.

Of course she could still contact them and try to get some free credit on top.........

I wonder why they have done this for her (and 3 months early), but not others though.....chosen at random? She's been with them less years than others I know.
    Originally posted by 2013yearofthehouse
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5595968

That said they haven't contacted me yet...
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 15th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 37,066 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5595968

That said they haven't contacted me yet...
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks, have added to that thread now
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Hope Sky offer to extend my 60% deal which ends in October.......but I suspect it'll be the usual cancellation dance with customer services/win back teams
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 16th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 17,669 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Comeback to Sky @ 60% off
    We have been Sky customers on and off for around 75% of the last 27 years. Even watching it in Germany in the early 90's when I was in the Forces.

We can live without it.

Took advantage of the offer that was shown on MSE in April 2016 and got the whole package for £30 instead of around £80. When it came up to 11 months we set about getting a similar offer but they would not go below £50 and wanted us to sign up to an 18 month contract. Said no and we gave them our 31 days notice.

Have not been using the Sky box but have kept it connected watching everything through the TV's Freeview.

Today I was sent a letter offing it all at a 60% discount. This made it £32.00

Decided to go ahead and got everything including Sky Sports HD at a 50% discount giving a total of £32.60 per month for 12 months.

Activated and back on within 10 minutes.

My reason for posting is that If you can go without it for say 4 to 6 weeks, you should get an even better deal. We have only been without it for 31 days. Obviously you have no guarantee they will comeback to you and you may have to go back to them.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 8,010 Posts
    • 4,771 Thanks
    teddysmum
    We have been Sky customers on and off for around 75% of the last 27 years. Even watching it in Germany in the early 90's when I was in the Forces.

We can live without it.

Took advantage of the offer that was shown on MSE in April 2016 and got the whole package for £30 instead of around £80. When it came up to 11 months we set about getting a similar offer but they would not go below £50 and wanted us to sign up to an 18 month contract. Said no and we gave them our 31 days notice.

Have not been using the Sky box but have kept it connected watching everything through the TV's Freeview.

Today I was sent a letter offing it all at a 60% discount. This made it £32.00

Decided to go ahead and got everything including Sky Sports HD at a 50% discount giving a total of £32.60 per month for 12 months.

Activated and back on within 10 minutes.

My reason for posting is that If you can go without it for say 4 to 6 weeks, you should get an even better deal. We have only been without it for 31 days. Obviously you have no guarantee they will comeback to you and you may have to go back to them.
    Originally posted by Merlin139

Like many of us, you may have had an earlier offer on the MY Sky page ,under the left in last 12 months link.

I didn't know about the offer (been off over 2 weeks) until someone mentioned it on here. The offer was 75% off with £100 credit.
    • Geebsie
    • By Geebsie 22nd Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Geebsie
    I have been on this deal for the last year and noticed that my future bills were showing this price even after the expiry of the full 12 months. Phoned up last night to be advised it was now applied to my account until 2022?!

Keen to know if anyone has done better than 60% recently through cancellation etc or if this is likely to be my whack. I pushed my luck to see if I could upgrade my rather elderly SkyHD box to a SkyQ box but that didn't appear to be on the agenda.
    • gibby9
    • By gibby9 22nd Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    gibby9
    I recently cancelled sky and moved to Virgin. Thought I'd post their final offer for information.

60% off TV
    Free broadband
    Full price landline
    £50 credit
    12 month deal on 18 month contract.

The length of contract was the deal-breaker for me.
    • dvs
    • By dvs 22nd Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    dvs
    I recently cancelled sky and moved to Virgin. Thought I'd post their final offer for information.

60% off TV
    Free broadband
    Full price landline
    £50 credit
    12 month deal on 18 month contract.

The length of contract was the deal-breaker for me.
    Originally posted by gibby9
    I'm guessing the 18 month contract is because you have the broadband/phone. I was offered TV at 60% discount for 12 months and £50 credit on a rolling contract just a week ago. Perhaps do a deal for TV and then negotiate broadband separately (that's if you're not considering Virgin).
    • gunner786
    • By gunner786 23rd Jun 17, 4:20 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gunner786
    Got the £30 deal last year ended 2 months ago. Finally got 60% off and took it.
  • saintscouple
    gave notice on my Sky Q yesterday, and today saw 50% off offer on the website.
    Went on to live chat and was initially told 25% was the best they could offer, though changed to 50% when i mentioned the offer on the website, but the agent said that was the most he could offer.
    I declined and will play the waiting game, ideally looking for the 60% and account credit, but not sure if that offer is available for sky q customers or just sky hd+. Will see
    • Ziggy Stardust
    • By Ziggy Stardust 27th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Ziggy Stardust
    Just called sky to see if they had any offers on my BB and talk and they best they could give me was £7.50 off the BB. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere, my tv deal finishes a month after the bb/talk one so that will be getting cancelled too.
  • saintscouple
    Just called sky to see if they had any offers on my BB and talk and they best they could give me was £7.50 off the BB. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere, my tv deal finishes a month after the bb/talk one so that will be getting cancelled too.
    Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust
    I was told the same when my offer was finishing on my fibre, but went on live chat dead on 8.30am when they opened the next day, and got the fibre half price for £10 and free line rental, all on a 12 month contract.... same offer as was expiring.
    • patmartin008
    • By patmartin008 28th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patmartin008
    Played the usual game of cancelling, waiting (offered 50% discount over 12 month contract) then used Sky Chat to request 60%. They agreed and included the 12 month rolling contract deal so I can cancel early if necessary. £27.20 for Sky+ Variety, Cinema and Sports. I'm happy with that.

For some reason they tried to bump by next bill up to £52. I spoke to three different departments who tried to fob me off with it being a 'pro-rata' charge. I said it made no sense and that I wasn't forewarned and eventually they agreed and refunded the difference. Also offered me HD on all channels plus Sky Box Sets for another £2 per month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,232Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter