Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,632Posts
    • 37,317Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 31
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Is Live chat still available ? I've been trying to use it to cancel Sky since Friday and it just say "busy please wait". Never changes to anything else.
    Originally posted by tberry6686
    Try one of the other live chat options rather than just cancellations, that's what I do.
    • Captain89
    • By Captain89 5th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Captain89
    Manged t get 60% off and £50 credit on a rolling contract. No luck on a discount for multi screen but I have a plan for that.
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 6th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    Gave noticed and due to have everything cut off on Friday. They were ringing me loads after I cancelled, (was always too busy to take the calls) but now not heard anything for some time. Online showing 60% off, just tried to go on chat to begin negotiations, but I can't get onto live chat, gives drop down options on what you want to talk about, didn't give an option for what I wanted, so chose 'to discuss my account' and it just says to ring them and cancelled the live chat. They've made it really hard to live chat
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 6th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    Gone with this deal:
    Here is your package summary: Box Sets Bundle @ £38.00 pm (£15.20 pm for 12 months) Cinema Pack @ £18.00 pm (£7.20 pm for 12 months) Sky Line Rental @ £18.99 pm (£9.50 pm for 12 months) Pay as you Talk @ £0.00 pm Broadband Unlimited @ £10.00 pm (£5 pm for 12 months)
    With the amazing discount offer you've received, you'll just pay £36.90 monthly for 12 months, then £84.99 thereafter
    With £20 credit on your account.
    Was paying £44.65 (with £50 credit) for the same package, which shot up dramatically as I forgot it was expiring!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Gone with this deal:
    Here is your package summary: Box Sets Bundle @ £38.00 pm (£15.20 pm for 12 months) Cinema Pack @ £18.00 pm (£7.20 pm for 12 months) Sky Line Rental @ £18.99 pm (£9.50 pm for 12 months) Pay as you Talk @ £0.00 pm Broadband Unlimited @ £10.00 pm (£5 pm for 12 months)
    With the amazing discount offer you've received, you'll just pay £36.90 monthly for 12 months, then £84.99 thereafter
    With £20 credit on your account.
    Was paying £44.65 (with £50 credit) for the same package, which shot up dramatically as I forgot it was expiring!
    Originally posted by Jo Twickers

Though your discounts are for 12 months, you are sure that the minimum term is also 12 months and not the 18 months some are mentioning ?
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 6th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    The 18 months is for fibre bb. He was pushing it hard, but didn't want to separate everything, prefer to renew it all at the same time. He said there was no chance of 12 month fibre
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 6th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    Terry98
    Sky won't treat you as a new customer anyway, if you only cancelled a month ago -but as per teddysmum, you should be able to negotiate a really good deal via "come back to Sky" links.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Why not if the last time I used them was 5 years ago at a different address? Just seen this offer for new customers http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/12months/bundles/?&DCMP=afc-385281&affiliate=true&postCode=AA11AA and I am tempted to go for it.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Why not if the last time I used them was 5 years ago at a different address? Just seen this offer for new customers http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/12months/bundles/?&DCMP=afc-385281&affiliate=true&postCode=AA11AA and I am tempted to go for it.
    Originally posted by Terry98
    ...but in previous post you claimed that OH had only cancelled a month ago?? Are you going to pretend that she doesn't live there anymore and pay with a different bank account ???
    You MAY get away with it..but be prepared to be found out and charged the full amount
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 7th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    Terry98
    ...but in previous post you claimed that OH had only cancelled a month ago?? Are you going to pretend that she doesn't live there anymore and pay with a different bank account ???
    You MAY get away with it..but be prepared to be found out and charged the full amount
    Originally posted by brewerdave

No I will not pretend. Why should I? They either want my business or they don't.

I don't blame my OH for not wanting a Sky account any more and this seems the only way to go without having to pay a full subscription which nobody else seems to pay now.

Anyway I see Sky have now reduced the offer from 50%off to 33%off so it's back to square one.
    Last edited by Terry98; 08-06-2017 at 5:41 AM.
    • SIRUSKEY
    • By SIRUSKEY 8th Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SIRUSKEY
    I only have the original bundle £20.

I have my fibre with plusnet.

The offer so far:

50% 12m £10

Fibre 18m £2.50 off

Line rental £9.99

Total: £47.49

Told them to cancel it. Missed three calls so far. Just the 50% showing online at the moment.
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 9th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    superbigal36
    Has anyone reached the usual cancelation point on a Q package yet ?
    Just interested to know, if the automatic 50% online comeback messages that appear 10 minutes after giving notice to quit are being seen by Q punters ?
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 9th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    Terry98
    Just interested to know, if the automatic 50% online comeback messages that appear 10 minutes after giving notice to quit are being seen by Q punters ?
    Originally posted by superbigal36
    I would be interested as well.

It is one of the things that puts me off getting Q. I don't think they would offer you a rolling contract as some people are offered with the old boxes.

You would think they would do everything to keep you because you have to send the Q box back to them after cancellation but I am not so sure.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Originally posted by superbigal36
    I would be interested as well.

It is one of the things that puts me off getting Q. I don't think they would offer you a rolling contract as some people are offered with the old boxes.

You would think they would do everything to keep you because you have to send the Q box back to them after cancellation but I am not so sure.
    Originally posted by Terry98
    Everyone who originally took it out when it launched are still within the minimum term 18 month contract (Feb 2016 launch). So it'll be August (maybe the end of July) until the first ones will find out one way or another.
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 9th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Everyone who originally took it out when it launched are still within the minimum term 18 month contract (Feb 2016 launch). So it'll be August (maybe the end of July) until the first ones will find out one way or another.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I am one who took Q early. Will be interesting what deals are obtainable. I will wait to see what others are offered.
    • ed1.crouch
    • By ed1.crouch 9th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ed1.crouch
    My Haggle….
    Package: Sky+TV/Family/Boxsets/HD
    Contract: 18 months
    Cost:£22.80pm( 40% Off )
    Cashback:£15

Heres how it went….

A few weeks before the current offer (same as above) was due to expire i went on the LIVE CHAT to see if i could get it lowered down again. After confirming who i was we went onto why i was ringing.
    I said i was ringing to CANCEL as my bill was due to go up to "nearly £40 pm (actually £38, but £40 sounds worse lol). At this point the retentions team try to DOWNGRADE your package to make it cheaper. they'll ask you what you use your sky box for and basically try to take away anything they can to cheapen the bill that way.
    To avoid this you tell them you use the box for EVERYTHING! You watch all the box sets, you use the catch up service, and anything else your package includes, you pretty much eat, drink and live on it!
    Once i established all that we got down to the actual discounts!

I was offered my current package for £34pm, hell no!
    I said it still wasn't worth £34 and was too expensive..he then went into the usual crap…."leading market value….you get what you pay for….exellent channels…won't find a better deal anywhere else…blah blah blah." I said after 2+ years of custom is didn't feel that £34 was good enough "to be blunt".

Goes away…

Comes back with the same offer i currently had of 40% off but on an 18 month contract instead of 12 PLUS as £10 admin fee.

Now while this is a great deal and was grateful of it, i want more.
    Not because i'm a greedy c**t, i wasn't asking for a new tv, £200 off or anything as extravagant! All i wanted was something to say “thanks for being a customer”. Nothing major, just a thank you.
    He said…no (that was the short version)

So i said i’d leave it there then and left the chat…

Fast forward 24 hours, i thought i’d have another go…Back on the Live chat…I got through to retentions…why do i want to cancel? i said this…

“well i rang up to see if sky could reduce my bill a few days ago. The 40% off offer i have is due to expire in 30days. After some time the advisor i spoke to offered to reduce my bill back down the 40% (fantastic), however i'd have to sign up for another 18 month contract AND pay an extra £10 admin fee. While i'm very grateful of the 40% again, i didn't see why i'd have to pay out another £10 plus sign up for an extra 6 months than last time. I said if the deal was a tiny bit better i'll do it, he said no. I wasn't asking for a massive increase to the discount, just ….something as a thank you i guess for staying for a third year and for the past 24 months of custom”

This advisor explained that the admin fee was to unlock the deal on their systems and that normally only new customers would be offered a deal such as 40% off AGAIN. Changing position i asked, "Is there anything you can add on top of the package?…..for example a voucher, SKY CINEMA for 2 months, etc

He goes away and comes back with a £15 cash back reward!

Love a sky haggle! :mo ney:
    • ed1.crouch
    • By ed1.crouch 9th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ed1.crouch
    Gave noticed and due to have everything cut off on Friday. They were ringing me loads after I cancelled, (was always too busy to take the calls) but now not heard anything for some time. Online showing 60% off, just tried to go on chat to begin negotiations, but I can't get onto live chat, gives drop down options on what you want to talk about, didn't give an option for what I wanted, so chose 'to discuss my account' and it just says to ring them and cancelled the live chat. They've made it really hard to live chat
    Originally posted by Jo Twickers
    When on the live chat, click "new customer". you'll get put through to someone straight away and then they'll transfer your chat to retentions…you might have a 5min wait of they're busy but it better than nothing
    • incesticde
    • By incesticde 10th Jun 17, 11:51 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    incesticde
    Placed a Virgin order to take over my account at the end of this month, had given notice to sky etc and had missed loads of calls.

MySky had the 60% offer and went to Live chat , guy started at 60%, then went to £30 credit and then to £50.

All in all, took 5 mins
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
    • pj1115
    • By pj1115 11th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pj1115
    Thanks all for the tips in this thread!

I got:
    • 60% off Box Sets TV package, cinema and sport, HD package
    • 50% off Fibre Unlimited broadband
    • 50% off line rental (after some back-and-forth; I was told it's not possible but I said I would take the anytime call package if they gave it to me)
    • £50 bill credit
    • 12 month contract

No discount on Sky Sports HD pack or multiroom.

This was after retentions dept. only offered me 20% off and I cancelled anyway. Got an offer for 50% off TV on the website shortly afterwards.
    Last edited by pj1115; 11-06-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 12th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 37,158 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    Got 60% off, plus £50 credit (and no admin charges), which averages out to £4.63 per month for next 12 months (although it's not a new contract, so could cancel after almost 6 months of free TV and not pay the £8.80 per month for remaining 6 and a bit months)

Should they have stopped sending offers now? Offer was agreed 2 weeks ago, after cancelling for about 18 hours, but still getting phone calls (not answered), letters and emails offering 50% off (ironic, since that's a lower offer!) to "come back".
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 12-06-2017 at 3:11 PM.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 18,330 Thanks
    mije1983
    Should they have stopped sending offers now? Offer was agreed 2 weeks ago, after cancelling for about 18 hours, but still getting phone calls (not answered), letters and emails offering 50% off (ironic, since that's a lower offer!) to "come back".
    Originally posted by 2013yearofthehouse
    I've never had any offers through after I have accepted a retention deal. Definitely shouldn't still getting them 2 weeks later.

Do your future bills match up to the deal you were given? Maybe worth getting in touch with them to confirm that you have withdrawn your cancellation notice, just in case you get cut off in a couple of weeks!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

5,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin