Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 31,944Posts
    • 37,677Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 24
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 3rd Mar 17, 6:38 AM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Zandoni

One thing to note, and I haven't seen it mentioned in the few pages of threads I've read today, when the advisor sent through the terms and conditions via Chat, they now mention that there is a £10 admin fee charge which is compulsory with the acceptance of any offers which help reduce costs. When I queried it, the advisor said that that was introduced last week and there was nothing he could do about it. I thought that was rather sneaky - but I am still happy with my overall, immediate result.

Thanks to all who have posted their successes.
    Originally posted by Mardrew
    My son was told the same thing about the £10 admin fee, he declined and they then gave him £10 credit to make up for it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 3rd Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    One thing to note, and I haven't seen it mentioned in the few pages of threads I've read today, when the advisor sent through the terms and conditions via Chat, they now mention that there is a £10 admin fee charge which is compulsory with the acceptance of any offers which help reduce costs. When I queried it, the advisor said that that was introduced last week and there was nothing he could do about it. I thought that was rather sneaky.
    Originally posted by Mardrew
    I don't like the sound of that at all.

BTW, if they didn't mention it to you, you should demand that back.
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 3rd Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vegastare
    Just to say I too was advised of £10 admin fee when used online chat.....however when there adviser phoned me - assume from Sky retention dept, there was no mention of £10 admin fee, so if it shows up will certainly have an earful from me.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 4th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mpet
    Went through the cancellation route via chat and was offered 40% off for 10 months. I refused and almost immediately got an offer of 60% off for 12 months via services on my Sky box. I left it a week, but as I hadn't received any calls, I accepted the offer via my box. This was on Wednesday and my account still isn't showing the changes- does anyone know how long it should be before I see the revised cost?
    • EllasPa
    • By EllasPa 4th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 1,868 Thanks
    EllasPa
    I got 50% off last year, so this had run out and was back to full price £32 for Variety. I went online chat and was offered 20%, then possibly 30%. I asked to cancel and was offered a final ' best' offer of 40%. So I went through with cancelling. An hour later I checked on interactive services on my sky remote and hey presto there was the 12 month 60% retention offer. Get in. You just have to hold your nerve.
    • mikeizz
    • By mikeizz 6th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mikeizz
    Cancelled at 9am

Read the comments here about 60% off tv package through your sky box

at 10am when on thinking about coming to back to sky in last 12 months chat.

Told him i had the 60% offer when turned on tv ( I hadn't) he offered me it straight there.
    I tried for credit not budging but got it on a rolling contract .

Easy couple of hours work and saving almost £500
    • Dr Gonzo 95
    • By Dr Gonzo 95 7th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Dr Gonzo 95
    Spoke to Sky yesterday, I initially thought that my current deal of £51 per month for SKYHD, half price Fibre and Half Price Sky Box Sets was due to run out on 18th March.
    I called asking for the best deal, fully expecting to use the Virgin new customers deal for everything except cinema and sports for £55 as a comparison.

I was then told that this deal runs out in September 2018.

I can't remember receiving anything on email to confirm this extension, I did sign upto a half price cinema deal, Sky called me a few months back because I kept putting cinema on my account as an upgrade to see how much it would cost (this was when they had a deal on both cinema and sports as upgrades).
    I can't remember them mentioning anything about the existing deal then?

I'm happy with it though, it's still exactly what I am paying now
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 7th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Another thread claims he has been offered a deal to stay with Sky Q, even though his contract wasn't up until September. He claims he wanted to cancel and was offered a reduction.

My contract finishes in September and before I start to negotiate I wanted to know if anyone had tried this and been offered a reduction. I cannot believe Sky would be happy to reduce a new contract if you had six months to go.
    • vinny_vimto
    • By vinny_vimto 7th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    vinny_vimto
    Got a cracking deal last year 50% off tv and broadband for 12 months no line rental and £100 credited to account. Price has rocketed. Went on sky chat and very best 'deal' was 20% off.

Asked for better got told NO. Said I was considering leaving, no arguments and they processed cancellation.

That was 5 days ago nothing on sky offers no phonecall, just joined Virgin so for the first time in 6 years I have left Sky. Also £115.50 from top cash back
    • stressedbrian
    • By stressedbrian 7th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    stressedbrian
    In ref to above, I went ahead and cancelled after being offered poor deals to stay, that was a few week ago, my sky talk / broadband finished yesterday and not had anything yet to get me back!
    • dinglebert
    • By dinglebert 8th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    dinglebert
    Result

I am currently on full package for 12 months at £30 a month. I phoned end of last week to see what deals they had for the next 12 months and best I got was £50.40 for the same package. I declined the kind offer. After reading here I checked the sky box offer to see the 60% was sitting there. Gave them a phone as the details of the deal on the box are confusing to say the least and retentions confirmed the deal meaning £32 a month for the next 12 months. I did ask for it to start immedately after the end of the last deal which is early May. As an alternative they offer to start the new deal today and give £50 credit instead. Perfectly happy to go along with that one. In effects its the full HD service, cinema sports etc for less than £28 a month.
    • alim66
    • By alim66 8th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    alim66
    Sky
    I cancelled Sky 3 weeks ago, as my bill was increasing to about £52 a month due to the latest increase. On first phone call, they offered me the same package for £34 a month for 12 months, i declined. I went on interactive tonight and there is a 60% off Sky TV which I have accepted. I have phoned Sky about Broadband price tonight and the best they could do was £26.49 for 12 months with a new router and £70 credit, I explained that I could get Plusnet for £18 for 18 months and £50 cashback, and new router, so have kept TV and cancelled Broadband.
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 9th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    pawlala
    Has anyone had any success with haggling over Sky Go Extra? My 2 month trial comes to an end but I will not pay £5 a month for it. Live chat won't offer anything as it requires downgrade dept. I wonder what offers will appear when it finally ends.
    Mortgage free I: 8th December 2009!
    Mortgage free II: New Year's Eve 2013!
    Mortgage free III: Est. Dec 2019...
    • jacquelinec
    • By jacquelinec 12th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jacquelinec
    Thanks Colin, I would rather not let it turn it off, and think it's a pretty good deal. I think I'll go back this week and see if I can push for a bit more , if not I'll probably take it . I'll post and let you know how it goes.
    Originally posted by jacquelinec
    went on chat today as due to switch off in three days .I haven't had any phone calls or further offers .Offered me what I have now (full package, sports and cinema, hd, 2 multi rooms) 50% off for 12 months for £62 . I said that's not half price, half of £104 is £52 (.I didn't let on I knew multirooms and hd not included)
    He then said £56 was his best offer , wouldn't budge for any credit , so I am going with that The 60% on the tv screen with added extras would have been £62 so I am happy with that .
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 8,625 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    teddysmum
    went on chat today as due to switch off in three days .I haven't had any phone calls or further offers .Offered me what I have now (full package, sports and cinema, hd, 2 multi rooms) 50% off for 12 months for £62 . I said that's not half price, half of £104 is £52 (.I didn't let on I knew multirooms and hd not included)
    He then said £56 was his best offer , wouldn't budge for any credit , so I am going with that The 60% on the tv screen with added extras would have been £62 so I am happy with that .
    Originally posted by jacquelinec
    60% used to be the best offer, even after switch off, so they would be unlikely to budge on that while you're still connected.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 8,625 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I cancelled Sky 3 weeks ago, as my bill was increasing to about £52 a month due to the latest increase. On first phone call, they offered me the same package for £34 a month for 12 months, i declined. I went on interactive tonight and there is a 60% off Sky TV which I have accepted. I have phoned Sky about Broadband price tonight and the best they could do was £26.49 for 12 months with a new router and £70 credit, I explained that I could get Plusnet for £18 for 18 months and £50 cashback, and new router, so have kept TV and cancelled Broadband.
    Originally posted by alim66

Your offer is even worse than the one I turned down last year (free broadband with line, then, at £17.40 ).

The problem with the new PlusNet 18 month deals is that you can only have line rental saver for 12 month blocks and they charge £30+ when you leave to LLU (such as Sky and TalkTalk).
    • p9g57
    • By p9g57 18th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    p9g57
    sky tv package
    told sky i was leaving for virgin.... they said ok. no deals or offers.

sky rang 3 months later. I was with Virgin on an 18 month contract at that point.

Sky offered Sky movies, sports on HD package and all other channels for £25 month.

March 2017 .... now starting an 18 month contract for Sky Q 2TB multi room, sky sports, movies for £37 month.

Dont have BB or phone with Sky.

Dont know anyone else who got this deal. People mention it to Sky retentions and they deny they can go that low.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 18th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 18,383 Thanks
    mije1983
    told sky i was leaving for virgin.... they said ok. no deals or offers.

sky rang 3 months later. I was with Virgin on an 18 month contract at that point.

Sky offered Sky movies, sports on HD package and all other channels for £25 month.

March 2017 .... now starting an 18 month contract for Sky Q 2TB multi room, sky sports, movies for £37 month.

Dont have BB or phone with Sky.

Dont know anyone else who got this deal. People mention it to Sky retentions and they deny they can go that low.
    Originally posted by p9g57

Sounds like a 75% off deal. Usually reserved for people who have actually left Sky so can be fairly common. So retentions won't be able to go that low, only the specific win back team who try and bring back old customers. Retentions normally only go to 60% + bill credit as a maximum.

• croppers123
    • By croppers123 7th Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    croppers123
    Currently have
    Sky Q 2tb box HD
    Sports variety pack
    Unlimited broadband
    Line rental
    Paying £73.

Could only do £75 f9or 18mths +£10 fee.
    I have 30days cancel notice. I'll wait for online offers to be emailed me or put on the tv.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 7th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 5,059 Posts
    • 5,202 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Currently have
    Sky Q 2tb box HD
    Sports variety pack
    Unlimited broadband
    Line rental
    Paying £73.

Could only do £75 f9or 18mths +£10 fee.
    I have 30days cancel notice. I'll wait for online offers to be emailed me or put on the tv.
    Originally posted by croppers123
    You don't need to post on two threads. The same people read both.
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery." Mr Wilkins Micawber in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,645Posts Today

6,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin